May 30, 2010 @ 07:14 PM
shakintheD

suspended

Any HBers do stocks? Im interested in trying it out, is it worth it
May 30, 2010 @ 07:18 PM
Sarcaustic

Any HBers do stocks? Im interested in trying it out, is it worth it

It takes a lot of patience and a lot of money to start out.

What's your plan? Do you plan to make money on the long term or short term?
May 30, 2010 @ 07:32 PM
Jaylib

Stock Market: Anyone do stocks?
May 30, 2010 @ 07:35 PM
shakintheD

suspended

It takes a lot of patience and a lot of money to start out.

What's your plan? Do you plan to make money on the long term or short term?

^^"any HBers do stocks"

idk yet probably long term
May 30, 2010 @ 07:41 PM
Sarcaustic

^^"any HBers do stocks"

idk yet probably long term

If you want to get started, I'd recommend Charles Schwab. They have brokers and planners that can help you aim for what you're looking for. I'd recommend dealing with brokers at first because they know what they're doing. Before you make an account though, you should definitely have a slight goal or plan in mind.

I tried out Etrade.com first because I thought I could trade on my own. But they kill with you small fees. And etrade isn't the best for beginners who don't have more than 50k in their accounts.

If you really don't know ANYTHING about the stock market. It's best to take your time and spend a month or two reading and learning. You're really going to fail horribly if you jump into it without knowing much.

Edit: I don't want to sound like a know it all. But sometimes it takes money to make money. I've lost a lot of money. And it's inevitable, but it helps you learn.

Don't get discouraged. But don't be stupid to keep going when you should call it quits.
May 30, 2010 @ 08:09 PM
molejam

whats the best way to become a trader or broker? I've always been interested in the stock market,I'm majoring in economics for sure, and maybe also finance. I'm too broke to trade my own money, I got student loans to pay off haha. The problem is it seems impossible to get in the business, I'm gonna be a junior next year and I tried looking for internships this year but they all wanted juniors or seniors or someone with a 4.0 gpa and over 9000 activities. I know this is not the forum to be asking this question, but I'm interested to see if anyone has experience as a trader or broker and could give me some hints.

/end rant.
May 30, 2010 @ 08:10 PM
K BOOG

Past year I have been buying US and foreign bonds on margin, and using the securities as collateral. The past few months US interest rates started moving against me and I got some horriffic margin calls that really wiped me out.
May 30, 2010 @ 08:13 PM
K BOOG

whats the best way to become a trader or broker? I've always been interested in the stock market,I'm majoring in economics for sure, and maybe also finance. I'm too broke to trade my own money, I got student loans to pay off haha. The problem is it seems impossible to get in the business, I'm gonna be a junior next year and I tried looking for internships this year but they all wanted juniors or seniors or someone with a 4.0 gpa and over 9000 activities. I know this is not the forum to be asking this question, but I'm interested to see if anyone has experience as a trader or broker and could give me some hints.

/end rant.

If you want to be a 'broker', i.e. 'financial analyst/manager' most firms want finance majors. I know many firms that take juniors/seniors for unpaid internships through your school as a course. I have 2 friends who are very successful in finance. They performed well and did well in their internships and were soon after offered positions in the companies they worked for. Both are partners already, both under the ages of 28. Look at big firms like stanleysmithbarney, etc.
May 30, 2010 @ 08:36 PM
Sarcaustic

Don't be an econ major. If there's a business major or a finance major, go for that.
May 30, 2010 @ 08:37 PM
shakintheD

suspended

If you want to get started, I'd recommend Charles Schwab. They have brokers and planners that can help you aim for what you're looking for. I'd recommend dealing with brokers at first because they know what they're doing. Before you make an account though, you should definitely have a slight goal or plan in mind.

I tried out Etrade.com first because I thought I could trade on my own. But they kill with you small fees. And etrade isn't the best for beginners who don't have more than 50k in their accounts.

If you really don't know ANYTHING about the stock market. It's best to take your time and spend a month or two reading and learning. You're really going to fail horribly if you jump into it without knowing much.

Edit: I don't want to sound like a know it all. But sometimes it takes money to make money. I've lost a lot of money. And it's inevitable, but it helps you learn.

Don't get discouraged. But don't be stupid to keep going when you should call it quits.

thanks, do you recommend any books for beginners ?
May 30, 2010 @ 08:38 PM
Sarcaustic

thanks, do you recommend any books for beginners ?

There's Investing for Dummies, but you can find all that information online.

I know Investopedia.com has some information for beginners that's easy to understand. But there's nothing better than experience.
May 30, 2010 @ 10:42 PM
farcus

pro advice from my parents, don't play it or if u must do mutual fund first to get a feel for it

but prepare to spend a lot of time on this shi.... don't plan this to be ur get rich scheme plz
May 30, 2010 @ 10:54 PM
Brooklyn_718

Invest in gold.... I mean what do you do for a living ? I mean if your working for someone else(employee)and you want to invest your money in the stock market I think that's pretty foolish & risky. You can look into other things you need to build assets start a small business. Stock market is pretty risky; worth a shot but risky. You also would need some good capital to start out.
May 30, 2010 @ 10:55 PM
Dorsal

Never do Etrade shits too expensive, in fact I would stay away from online sites, the fees will kill you. If you're real committed to it try and find a local broker that can give you a lot insight into what stocks are actually worthwhile
May 31, 2010 @ 12:09 AM
dizzzzle

Read "The Intelligent Investor"

trust me

Please login first to reply.