Get 15% Off + Free Shipping on Orders over $150 - Use Code: EPICSUMMER
March 12, 2012 @ 08:14 PM
damnwitless2

suspended

I'm saying that the idea of "2" groups of "2" things giving you "4" things is all human perception, at the end of the day that's just a math equation that has nothing to do with reality. Basic addition is a human's way of making sense of the world around him but the things being added or subtracted exist independently of you adding or subtracting them. Any kind of "order" you see in the world is only as "real" as the amount of people that follow said order, a person who lives outside the realm of whatever order we're talking about shows that the order is in and of itself a human construct and not "real", in an objective sense

All I do is smoke weed, blow lines, and listen to MF DOOM. And rap. http://www.facebook.com/SpacemanNYC

March 13, 2012 @ 03:17 AM
isplashonyouho

I'm saying that the idea of "2" groups of "2" things giving you "4" things is all human perception, at the end of the day that's just a math equation that has nothing to do with reality. Basic addition is a human's way of making sense of the world around him but the things being added or subtracted exist independently of you adding or subtracting them. Any kind of "order" you see in the world is only as "real" as the amount of people that follow said order, a person who lives outside the realm of whatever order we're talking about shows that the order is in and of itself a human construct and not "real", in an objective sense

well the notion that mathematics is only a human-made system is legitimate. some would argue, however, that mathematics exists independently of human perception. im not well-versed in the philosophy of mathematics enough to argue that.

your claim is paradoxical; you say that it is true that there is no order, and yet true/false values require some sort of intrinsic system (that we call logic) in order to exist as attributes. you cant make a claim about anything objective without some underlying order to things. and if you take the route that everything is essentially subjective and nothing is real, then youre yet again making a paradoxical assertion in saying that "it is true that nothing is true."
March 13, 2012 @ 03:20 AM
damnwitless2

suspended

yep, it's absurd

All I do is smoke weed, blow lines, and listen to MF DOOM. And rap. http://www.facebook.com/SpacemanNYC

March 13, 2012 @ 03:24 AM
isplashonyouho

and perhaps intellectually lazy. i feel like too many people in our generation go the relativist route and thats why we buy into and accept anything and do all the dumb shit that we do. its alot easier to say that everyone is right than it is to say to have a standard of right and wrong with which to judge people. because when you have a standard youre forced to likewise judge yourself and nobody wants to do that anymore.
March 13, 2012 @ 03:30 AM
damnwitless2

suspended

psh, intellectually lazy, I like that. Look bro at the end of the day all of this is just killing time. People have been asking themselves these very same questions since the dawn of abstract thought and we're not any closer to having answers. You can spend your whole life trying to figure them out but then you'd die never having answered them, because THERE AREN'T ANY. The entire precedent that "accepting dumb shit" is somehow antithetical to intellectual growth is ridiculous, because mindlessness is at the end of the day much more gratifying than sitting somewhere contemplating your own existence. It just takes balls to live for oneself, and a lot of people aren't comfortable enough in their own skin to take that leap, but getting over that hump is infinitely more freeing than doing the same old "what does it all mean" 2-step

March 13, 2012 @ 03:51 AM
isplashonyouho

psh, intellectually lazy, I like that. Look bro at the end of the day all of this is just killing time. People have been asking themselves these very same questions since the dawn of abstract thought and we're not any closer to having answers. You can spend your whole life trying to figure them out but then you'd die never having answered them, because THERE AREN'T ANY. The entire precedent that "accepting dumb shit" is somehow antithetical to intellectual growth is ridiculous, because mindlessness is at the end of the day much more gratifying than sitting somewhere contemplating your own existence. It just takes balls to live for oneself, and a lot of people aren't comfortable enough in their own skin to take that leap, but getting over that hump is infinitely more freeing than doing the same old "what does it all mean" 2-step

its fallacious to say that because an answer is hard to come by that it doesnt exist; i could likewise say that just because its hard for me to dunk, its impossible for me to dunk. but that would be lazy. not that philosophy has the potential to answer certain questions. but philosophy is the foundation of western thought. every enigmatic question that weve answered using the disciplines available to us has been answered by use of some sort of philosophy. or some sort of philosophical reasoning.

you criticize people for pondering philosophical notions as if everyone chooses what they think about all of the time. some people cant help it. /shrug

"the entire precedent (diction? ) that 'accepting dumb shit' is somehow antithetical to intellectual growth is ridiculous, because mindlessness is at the end of the day much more gratifying than sitting somewhere contemplating your own existence."

it does not follow logically from the notion that mindlessness is more gratifying than contemplating existence that the supposition that accepting dumb shit is antithetical to intellectual growth is ridiculous.
March 13, 2012 @ 03:53 AM
Brooklyn_718

Was on another forum and they had a philosophy thread it was quite interesting.
Heres one that someone wrote:

Isnt the truth just a perception agreed upon by the majority? The earth is flat was once the truth.

Agree?

Post some more, too smile

"The earth is flat" was never a true statement. Ever hear of an ad populum argument ? Either a statement is true or false. What the masses believe has nothing to do with the validity of a proposition.
March 13, 2012 @ 04:30 AM
damnwitless2

suspended

lol put it this way, you're not doing yourself any favors with all the abstraction, and the idea that you even used the phrase "intellectually lazy" without irony shows that you've got a lot more to learn about this whole existentialism shit lmao.

It's a hamster cage, the only thing you can do is stop running

March 13, 2012 @ 04:36 AM
isplashonyouho

lol put it this way, you're not doing yourself any favors with all the abstraction, and the idea that you even used the phrase "intellectually lazy" without irony shows that you've got a lot more to learn about this whole existentialism shit lmao.

It's a hamster cage, the only thing you can do is stop running

existentialism is silly. as a mode of thought, it has its liberating aspects when contrasted with the past. but i dont think it is in any way the fact of the matter.

your analogy shows that youve got alot more to learn about this whole existentialism shit, methinks. even tho i do agree with it. it is a hamster cage. you have no freedom in "choosing" to run or "choosing" to stop. everything is the way that it always was going to be, given the first cause (god, big bang, what have you), and the laws of logic/nature.
March 13, 2012 @ 05:03 AM
damnwitless2

suspended

lol see that's what I'm saying bro, that's rookie thinking, you most certainly DO have a choice as to whether or not to think about this shit, it's called mental discipline. Controlling one's own thoughts is the extension of existential inquisition that most never make it to, but its the only payoff there is for all of this. We agree on the idea that objectivity is outside the realm of human perception but I'm telling you, you can get over it.

March 13, 2012 @ 05:09 AM
isplashonyouho

lol see that's what I'm saying bro, that's rookie thinking, you most certainly DO have a choice as to whether or not to think about this shit, it's called mental discipline. Controlling one's own thoughts is the extension of existential inquisition that most never make it to, but its the only payoff there is for all of this. We agree on the idea that objectivity is outside the realm of human perception but I'm telling you, you can get over it.

and if i enjoy thinking about it? are you saying that your "liberated" lifestyle is superior to mine? because that would kinda shoot everything youve been saying thus far in the foot.

"Controlling one's own thoughts is the extension of existential inquisition that most never make it to, but its the only payoff there is for all of this."

lol where are you getting this from?
March 13, 2012 @ 05:29 AM
damnwitless2

suspended

lmao you're projecting, I said everything I meant to say. The point I been making from the beginning is that all of this is only going to lead to the thinker eventually just saying "fuck it" and going along with their day, not being any closer to having an answer to these grand existential queries they may so dearly desire an answer for. If you ENJOY thinking about your existence, if that's like your thing or something, then by all means, don't let me hold you up, but the only real functionality philosophical thought is ever going to have on someone's life is informing their financial decisions. You say that just because it's difficult to understand the rules of the universe doesn't mean there aren't any, but more to the point, regardless of whether or not there ARE rules, neither you nor I will EVER understand them so there's no reason to waste time trying. Unless, you know, you're having as much fun talking in circles as I am.

but yeah I made my point. I'll just post this here cuz i feel like this dude said it better than I could.

March 13, 2012 @ 05:37 AM
isplashonyouho

lmao you're projecting, I said everything I meant to say. The point I been making from the beginning is that all of this is only going to lead to the thinker eventually just saying "fuck it" and going along with their day, not being any closer to having an answer to these grand existential queries they may so dearly desire an answer for. If you ENJOY thinking about your existence, if that's like your thing or something, then by all means, don't let me hold you up, but the only real functionality philosophical thought is ever going to have on someone's life is informing their financial decisions. You say that just because it's difficult to understand the rules of the universe doesn't mean there aren't any, but more to the point, regardless of whether or not there ARE rules, neither you nor I will EVER understand them so there's no reason to waste time trying. Unless, you know, you're having as much fun talking in circles as I am.

but yeah I made my point. I'll just post this here cuz i feel like this dude said it better than I could.

so the only things that are functional to us are those that make us money? mmk.

and you dont know what ideas you cant understand. thats my point.

and postmodernist cynicism and rejection of objectivism is hardly relevant to serious philosophical discourse. i like my postmodernism in the arts and the arts only. alot of the conclusions reached by postmodernists are laughable.
March 13, 2012 @ 05:38 AM
isplashonyouho

let me stress this:

it does not follow logically that because we havent arrived at any universal truths that there are none to be found.
March 13, 2012 @ 05:42 AM
isplashonyouho

and what that guy just said was wrong. that postmodernists believe that morality is outside of "some social construct.." a postmodernist would say that morality IS a social construct. i turned it off after that.
March 13, 2012 @ 05:44 AM
damnwitless2

suspended

lol stress it all you want but you're still nowhere closer to finding these "universal truths" you're so convinced are out there. Nobody's saying that they don't exist, but what I am saying is that from a human standpoint they might as well not. And newsflash, this isn't a serious philosophical discourse, it's Hypebeast, if you're GENUINELY looking for the secret of life on HYPEBEAST your problems are way smaller than a meaningless existence lmao.

March 13, 2012 @ 05:53 AM
isplashonyouho

lol stress it all you want but you're still nowhere closer to finding these "universal truths" you're so convinced are out there. Nobody's saying that they don't exist, but what I am saying is that from a human standpoint they might as well not. And newsflash, this isn't a serious philosophical discourse, it's Hypebeast, if you're GENUINELY looking for the secret of life on HYPEBEAST your problems are way smaller than a meaningless existence lmao.

and what evidence do you have of your assertion? the only evidence you have is that we havent found them yet. thats hardly evidence to the contrary. what it would make more sense for you to say is that "we havent found any objective truths yet, thus we havent found any objective truths yet." replacing the second clause of that sentence with what you want to say ("thus there are none/there might as well not be any") is just as relevant to this discussion as replacing it with "thus purple ducks live on planet 58xuthu." that is, what youre saying is purely interpretative.

i said that postmodernism itself is irrelevant to serious philosophical discourse, not so much decreeing this as serious philosophical discourse (which i would argue it is) as casting doubt on the credulity of postmodernism in the dialectic in which we are now engaged.

and when did i ever say that i was even looking for the secret of life, again?
March 13, 2012 @ 06:21 AM
damnwitless2

suspended

lmao you really don't get it. Engaging in hopeless activities is a hobby of mine, which explains why I'm even taking the time to type this, but all the rhetoric you've posted today show signs of a person resisting the absurd, still attempting to make sense of a senseless world, and at the end of the day that kind of thinking doesn't do anybody any favors. It seems to me that the point you continue to make is that "even though we do not have the answers to these questions, the answers are out there waiting to be uncovered by... someone" and my response to that is "yeah, and?"

Until somebody can actually prove what surrounds the universe, or what the catalyst for the Big Bang was, or what happens after you die, all of those things will continue to be big gaping holes in the consciousness of every self-aware individual, and the only thing you'll ever be able to do to assuage those nagging questions is just get over it and accept that you'll never know. Or have this exact same conversation. Again.

March 13, 2012 @ 06:31 AM
TwiggyDig

March 13, 2012 @ 07:37 AM
saurier

Until somebody can actually prove what surrounds the universe, or what the catalyst for the Big Bang was, or what happens after you die, all of those things will continue to be big gaping holes in the consciousness of every self-aware individual, and the only thing you'll ever be able to do to assuage those nagging questions is just get over it and accept that you'll never know. Or have this exact same conversation. Again.

This exact sentiment has been expressed by many people, probably in regard to "what's across the ocean?", "what are we made up of?", "where did we come from?"

"When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong."

You're essentially saying that you've figured it all out in that it CAN'T be figured out so why even bother.

http://saurierco.com ///////////////////// Molosser Rex

March 13, 2012 @ 08:18 AM
isplashonyouho

lmao you really don't get it. Engaging in hopeless activities is a hobby of mine, which explains why I'm even taking the time to type this, but all the rhetoric you've posted today show signs of a person resisting the absurd, still attempting to make sense of a senseless world, and at the end of the day that kind of thinking doesn't do anybody any favors. It seems to me that the point you continue to make is that "even though we do not have the answers to these questions, the answers are out there waiting to be uncovered by... someone" and my response to that is "yeah, and?"

resisting the absurd eh? for someone who doesnt believe in objectiveness you sure do make alot of judgments. all the evidence points to order and sense, but if you want to believe in senselessness then thats cool. i mean there are people who still believe the world is flat.

oh yea, they need to answer all those questions huh? because you say so? it seems like you have a buncha questions that nag you and because you feel inept at finding the answers, youve given up intellectually. good for you, bro. the difference between me and you is that clearly these questions nag you. im perfectly content with my philosophy and my questions, i love thinking all day. and just as you can say ill never know anything (based on no criteria whatsoever outside of your big bang or universe surrounding or whatever), i can likewise say that ill know everything. smile

do you see why your reasoning is flawed yet, my padawan?
March 13, 2012 @ 02:27 PM
damnwitless2

suspended

lol you're just talking in circles dude

March 13, 2012 @ 03:26 PM
kbos

clearly these questions nag you.

i know this feel

im perfectly content with my philosophy and my questions, i love thinking all day.

i do not know this feel in a sober realm : (
March 13, 2012 @ 07:10 PM
isplashonyouho

lol you're just talking in circles dude

/yawn. and you arent at all. your logic is flawed my friend.
March 13, 2012 @ 07:44 PM
damnwitless2

suspended

lmao what if it wasn't even about MY logic? Like, the fact that we're still having this conversation proves my point, the most any of this will lead to is more talking. And this isnt even about convincing you of the error of your thinking because you'll realize that for yourself one day. If you're thinking in terms of "my logic is more sound than that guys" you're still not even understanding the fact that LOGIC MEANS NOTHING. The way one make sense of things is completely idiosyncratic, people have to draw on lessons that they've learned and events they've seen that no one else has seen, and so one person's interpretation of the world really has no functionality in terms of another's.

The difference between me and you is I KNOW I'm talking in circles, because that's all anyone's ever going to do when discussing philosophy. You genuinely seem convinced that at some point the answers to the universe will make themselves available to mankind, which is in itself laughable, but while you're holding your breath the rest of the world is going to be going about its business. You said yourself how much you love thinking all day but thinking =/= action lmao

March 13, 2012 @ 08:06 PM
isplashonyouho

lmao what if it wasn't even about MY logic? Like, the fact that we're still having this conversation proves my point, the most any of this will lead to is more talking. And this isnt even about convincing you of the error of your thinking because you'll realize that for yourself one day. If you're thinking in terms of "my logic is more sound than that guys" you're still not even understanding the fact that LOGIC MEANS NOTHING. The way one make sense of things is completely idiosyncratic, people have to draw on lessons that they've learned and events they've seen that no one else has seen, and so one person's interpretation of the world really has no functionality in terms of another's.

The difference between me and you is I KNOW I'm talking in circles, because that's all anyone's ever going to do when discussing philosophy. You genuinely seem convinced that at some point the answers to the universe will make themselves available to mankind, which is in itself laughable, but while you're holding your breath the rest of the world is going to be going about its business. You said yourself how much you love thinking all day but thinking =/= action lmao

i really think youre taking this entire discussion too seriously. youre acting like im completely incapacitated because i enjoy thinking philosophically about things. like i said, youre projecting the fact that certain questions have nagged you into submission onto me, whereas i function quite normally in society.

logic means everything to discourse.

i never said all the answers would make themselves available to mankind (outside of when i was mocking your fallacious reasoning). i said that it is possible that they will, whereas you seem to be inclined to say that they absolutely wont.

and while yes, thought is an action, ill overlook that misuse of idiom and tell you that just because i think doesnt mean i dont "act." i guess thinking about things incapacitates you, and thats why youre projecting all of this?
March 13, 2012 @ 08:16 PM
saurier

Laughable.

The answers to the universe will never be known? The human race has been around for all but a cosmic snap of the fingers, and here is damnwitless, who has been conscious for an infinitesimally minuscule fraction of that, and he KNOWS that there will be things that will never be known. I am in no way insulting your intelligence, or your thought process, because it's pretty reasonable. But here's the thing. You (or any reasonably educated person of today) knows more about the universe than the entire population of the planet, say... 2000 years ago, in terms of basic science. It's only because of your ability to stand on the shoulders of those who came before you.

It is impossible to predict the future, and saying that we will inevitably learn all of the mysteries of the universe is about as likely as the human race being wiped out by a mass extinction event. But grant me this one theoretical scenario. Say the human race somehow survives another 2000 years, and continues to progress at the rate at which it has been (scientific knowledge of the world doubling every 5 years or so). By then, our ("our" referring most likely to some sort of A.I., or possibly some A.I. - human hybrid, who knows) levels of knowledge will be so vast and expansive that it is really an exercise in futility to imagine what we will and will not know. And if you think that 2000 years isn't enough, how about 200,000? Or 200,000,000? That's still barely anything on the timescale of the universe as we know it.

http://saurierco.com ///////////////////// Molosser Rex

March 13, 2012 @ 08:58 PM
damnwitless2

suspended

all of which affects life now... how?

edit: I think you guys might be misinterpreting my wordiness for investment in the discussion, let's be clear I really couldn't give less of a fuck what any of y'all niggas think at the end of the day, I dropped out of college, shit like this is one of my only opportunities to flex that pen game nahmean? Agree or disagree I'M getting money and I hope you doin the same lol.

March 13, 2012 @ 09:16 PM
isplashonyouho

all of which affects life now... how?

edit: I think you guys might be misinterpreting my wordiness for investment in the discussion, let's be clear I really couldn't give less of a fuck what any of y'all niggas think at the end of the day, I dropped out of college, shit like this is one of my only opportunities to flex that pen game nahmean? Agree or disagree I'M getting money and I hope you doin the same lol.

oh hey brah if money is the only thing that you want out of life then you are a great success story, fuck books nigga! im really proud of you. smile
March 13, 2012 @ 09:17 PM
damnwitless2

suspended

cool

Please login first to reply.