Get 15% Off + Free Shipping on Orders over $150 - Use Code: EPICSUMMER
May 21, 2010 @ 01:46 PM
Homeless

i wanted to double major in philosophy and photography but im just going to a normal art school so thats out of the box now. majoring in philosophy sounds fun but like.. literally the only job you can get is teaching haha. ill just read about it on my own
May 21, 2010 @ 01:50 PM
Lew

anyone ever taken a formal logic course in the philosophy department?

how was it?
May 21, 2010 @ 01:54 PM
LiquidSwords

It can be a mind fuck and the works of those philosophy guys are super dense and confusing, but it's cool when you finally understand them.

I thought it was interesting that Berkeley( the guy that the Cali city/ university was named after) proposed that matter doesn't exist. The only things that exist are ideas and observed objects. That's where the whole unobserved tree in the forest question comes from.
May 21, 2010 @ 02:03 PM
plAinaNdsImpLe

i've just finished my first year of PPE (philosophy politics and economics)...i thought philosophy would be relatively easy because its one of those subject you could just bullshit about but sadly it isnt, mainly because all of the classic philosophical works are written in an unnecessarily confusing way...
May 21, 2010 @ 03:22 PM
bobby

atoms and particles behave in probabilistic ways, our mind is made of atoms and particles...then how can free will exist?

dat BF Skinner
May 21, 2010 @ 07:49 PM
CHOPZZBISCUIT

Would people be more happy if we didn't have to go through any hardship in life? Easy contently relaxed life, but wouldnt people be ended up feeling void and boredom in this surrounding?

Honestly without any hardships, I don't think there will be sense of any accomplishment.

what would it be??? Between Easy life or life with hardships... tell me which one do u think will make u happier.

Kayv: pull bitches, not triggers. throw parties, not fists. futurebass : my mom said life is like a box of kimchi. chopzz.tumblr.com

May 21, 2010 @ 07:53 PM
Denny Crane

sais who? take into consideration he said aside from your friends and relatives etc. when you dont exist what feelings do you have to judge that your lack of existence is either negative or positive or even neutral. you feel nothing about it because you have become nothing therefore you cannot feel at all.

i agree that this might be viewed as negative by the living though. i don't want to die. i don't want to not exist. but when it finally happens i will have no opinion of it.

The only form of myself that can have an opinion on the matter is my living self, and my living self has determined not being alive to be bad. Once I'm dead I can't perceive whether it's positive or negative, and hence my living perception remains.

Would people be more happy if we didn't have to go through any hardship in life? Easy contently relaxed life, but wouldnt people be ended up feeling void and boredom in this surrounding?

Honestly without any hardships, I don't think there will be sense of any accomplishment.

what would it be??? Between Easy life or life with hardships... tell me which one do u think will make u happier.

Certainly a life of hardships. Emotions (eg happiness/accomplishment) are relative and without experiencing their opposites they can't be appreciated.
May 21, 2010 @ 08:16 PM
CHOPZZBISCUIT

^yeah exactly, that's what i thought... How can a person enjoy the sweet when a person has never taste the bitterness.

Kayv: pull bitches, not triggers. throw parties, not fists. futurebass : my mom said life is like a box of kimchi. chopzz.tumblr.com

May 21, 2010 @ 08:26 PM
ᴊᴜᴀɴ

"Everybody wanna be a *****, nobody wanna be a *****"

Paul Mooney

My *****cool
May 21, 2010 @ 08:31 PM
SumLite

i wanted to double major in philosophy and photography but im just going to a normal art school so thats out of the box now. majoring in philosophy sounds fun but like.. literally the only job you can get is teaching haha. ill just read about it on my own

eh not really
May 21, 2010 @ 09:40 PM
soap

Like many actual women, mannequins are not able to appreciate the brevity of deterministic objectives and the implications regarding our existential states. Instead, they just want to talk about themselves.

Fools!

Anyways... this is the book I recommend to anyone who is interested in getting into philosophy.

www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0195112040/shopusedtextbooks.info-20/

@chang I ordered a couple of those you mentioned. cool
May 22, 2010 @ 09:45 AM
plAinaNdsImpLe

The only form of myself that can have an opinion on the matter is my living self, and my living self has determined not being alive to be bad. Once I'm dead I can't perceive whether it's positive or negative, and hence my living perception remains.

How can your living perception remain when you are dead?
May 22, 2010 @ 10:17 AM
flow

I am just wondering, is anyone here a philosophy major?

no, i went to art school and as a sucessfull contemporary artist you have to read a lot of philosophy. it anwers a lot of questions...
i started to read philosophy earlier this year, since then every day.
March 10, 2012 @ 05:36 PM
ba sọc đỏ

so a nigga waz feelin phisoothical and ended up back here

Do you think YOUR morals can be summed up as anything you yourself would not want your own ideal child to do? If not, then can you say that you are living morally right to your OWN standards?
March 10, 2012 @ 06:08 PM
damnwitless2

suspended

fuck standards lmao

All I do is smoke weed, blow lines, and listen to MF DOOM. And rap. http://www.facebook.com/SpacemanNYC

March 11, 2012 @ 02:57 AM
ThatPatP

niggas be feelin phisoothical arryday b

patxpeterson.com | youmaddoggy.com

March 11, 2012 @ 12:16 PM
chef_

philosophy
March 11, 2012 @ 09:14 PM
Legit Shit

so a nigga waz feelin phisoothical and ended up back here

Do you think YOUR morals can be summed up as anything you yourself would not want your own ideal child to do? If not, then can you say that you are living morally right to your OWN standards?

I'd be content if my child had my morals. I think my parents instilled the right morals in me from the get go, yet when I get side tracked (which frequently happens), it's nothing out of this world. I'm not out there hurting innocent people, I'm an honest person usually, I'll help someone out if I feel I can.
So yes, although I'm not free from 'sin' in anyway, I'm living up to my OWN standards everyday

upthefunk

March 11, 2012 @ 11:04 PM
Too Trill

That shit trips me out..Like am I real? On some Freud shit...

lol'd so hard
March 12, 2012 @ 12:06 AM
young idiot

this thread is a good example of how varied old hb was
March 12, 2012 @ 12:18 AM
th3kid

this thread is a good example of how varied old hb was

sad RIP Old HB
March 12, 2012 @ 03:58 AM
Legit Shit

And not a damn soul helping

upthefunk

March 12, 2012 @ 04:24 AM
Miles_Morales

is your personal perception of life reality? or do BILLIONS of separate realities exist, from each other existing human being? and have some of these people discovered "true" reality as god or whoever intended it to be?
March 12, 2012 @ 04:43 AM
Legit Shit

Well every mind perceives life differently, so everyone has a separate reality, or at least a separate idea of what reality is..
And I'd say no one is wrong. I can't believe we were put on this earth/created for a set purpose besides to survive as long as we can

upthefunk

March 12, 2012 @ 06:02 AM
isplashonyouho

Well every mind perceives life differently, so everyone has a separate reality, or at least a separate idea of what reality is..
And I'd say no one is wrong. I can't believe we were put on this earth/created for a set purpose besides to survive as long as we can

just because you perceive reality different than someone else doesnt somehow magically create a separate reality. i mean then there would be like an astronomical number of realities to account for everything that perceives. its lazy to reduce reality in that manner. by definition, reality is the fact of the matter. its the real thing that unites us all. i do agree that everyone does have a separate idea of what reality is, but it is not peoples perceptions of reality that creates reality; rather, it is reality that allows people to have perceptions of it.

its also intellectually lazy to say that no one is wrong. does that mean if someone says the sun is a square, they are right? or that the earth is flat? etc? i mean then we might as well throw out science, mathematics, and any other discipline with a high degree of falsifiability.
March 12, 2012 @ 06:17 AM

lol, this is all just so wrong. Besides the last part but living as long as we can IS a purpose, and a very dumb one to believe. and what the actual fuck? You think nobody is wrong? There are facts behind EVERYTHING. Every single thing you see, feel and experience, there are FACTS behind mathematically. Sorry if I'm raging but I can't handle this level of stupidity

Watch some Carl Sagan or Neil Degrasse Tyson videos

PERSONAL FAVORITES V2 and V3 (both active!) - http://hypebeast.com/forums/apparel/187061 http://hypebeast.com/forums/apparel/196716

March 12, 2012 @ 12:31 PM
Legit Shit

just because you perceive reality different than someone else doesnt somehow magically create a separate reality. i mean then there would be like an astronomical number of realities to account for everything that perceives. its lazy to reduce reality in that manner. by definition, reality is the fact of the matter. its the real thing that unites us all. i do agree that everyone does have a separate idea of what reality is, but it is not peoples perceptions of reality that creates reality; rather, it is reality that allows people to have perceptions of it.

its also intellectually lazy to say that no one is wrong. does that mean if someone says the sun is a square, they are right? or that the earth is flat? etc? i mean then we might as well throw out science, mathematics, and any other discipline with a high degree of falsifiability.

Ight I see where you're coming from.. makes sense.

When I said that no one's wrong I didn't mean regarding actual facts about what we know about life and the universe obviously, I meant it more to answer this
and have some of these people discovered "true" reality as god or whoever intended it to be?

Which I don't even get now because whether you believe in God or science, I feel like you're going to have a different view of the world.. but there's only 1 reality..

living as long as we can IS a purpose, and a very dumb one to believe

I don't think it's dumb. For what other purpose do you think we're here? Just like other animals, I think we're here simply to have our offspring and survive for as long as we can. Everything we have done is to help that happen

upthefunk

March 12, 2012 @ 01:33 PM
isplashonyouho

Ight I see where you're coming from.. makes sense.

When I said that no one's wrong I didn't mean regarding actual facts about what we know about life and the universe obviously, I meant it more to answer this
and have some of these people discovered "true" reality as god or whoever intended it to be?

Which I don't even get now because whether you believe in God or science, I feel like you're going to have a different view of the world.. but there's only 1 reality..

living as long as we can IS a purpose, and a very dumb one to believe

I don't think it's dumb. For what other purpose do you think we're here? Just like other animals, I think we're here simply to have our offspring and survive for as long as we can. Everything we have done is to help that happen

well not everything. art has nothing to do with survival. besides, as human beings we believe ourselves to have the capabilities of behaving in manners that run contrary to our instinct. i think the whole "what is the purpose of (human) life?" question is simply too vague to have one working answer. and speaking on it wed have to define it in terms rooted in our perception of reality, which cannot be fundamentally and perfectly described using any natural or formal language that i know of without running into some sort of paradox.
March 12, 2012 @ 03:26 PM
damnwitless2

suspended

Ok so I'll say this, the only reality is chaos. The world, or "reality", succumbs to no individual's pre-conceived notion of what the world "should" be. You can go ahead and create your own little explanations for why things are the way they are but at the end of the day those same things will continue to exist in their own essence, regardless of how you perceive them. So all of that is to say that to even ponder the nature of existence or whatever metaphysical query you happen to be working over is just a waste of time because it's all just in your head. People are God. Being blessed with an individual self-aware perception is in and of itself the most powerful tool in existence and you can take that and formulate your own personal motivation for existing, because if you try to find meaning elsewhere you're just lying to yourself.

All I do is smoke weed, blow lines, and listen to MF DOOM. And rap. http://www.facebook.com/SpacemanNYC

March 12, 2012 @ 07:22 PM
isplashonyouho

Ok so I'll say this, the only reality is chaos. The world, or "reality", succumbs to no individual's pre-conceived notion of what the world "should" be. You can go ahead and create your own little explanations for why things are the way they are but at the end of the day those same things will continue to exist in their own essence, regardless of how you perceive them. So all of that is to say that to even ponder the nature of existence or whatever metaphysical query you happen to be working over is just a waste of time because it's all just in your head. People are God. Being blessed with an individual self-aware perception is in and of itself the most powerful tool in existence and you can take that and formulate your own personal motivation for existing, because if you try to find meaning elsewhere you're just lying to yourself.

chaos, you say? so 2 + 2 =/= 4? and scientific experiments cant be emulated and repeated? there is order to this world.

Please login first to reply.