March 29, 2010 @ 05:22 PM
WojieWorldPeace

Hey, any former or current comp sci majors in here?

I'm just about to graduate with a bachelors in marketing, but I'm starting this computer science shit too, because I when all is said and done with college, I'd like to feel that I've learned a tangible skill that I can apply to my future on this fucking planet.

However, I'm just having trouble grasping the concept of java, and with each lab that I struggle on figuring out, I'm losing confidence if this is a major I should stick with.

Any opinions about my scenario or comments about how the outlook of comp sci majors are in the real world, let me hear it, thanks. cool

Buffalo Bills till I die.

March 29, 2010 @ 05:24 PM
zzzboy

stick to sportscasting cool
March 29, 2010 @ 05:29 PM
ACTiON FUNKENSTEiN

Computer Science sucks. Don't do it. Trust me. Ahh!!!
March 29, 2010 @ 07:05 PM
minimalist.

Me and a buddy here on the forums go to UofT for comp sci, both in our internship year, with one year left in school. It can have pretty dry topics...actually really dry...but comp scientists are definitely being sought after, you'll find a job once you graduate.

Edit: and if it helps, I read somewhere that comp scientists are the most satisfied with their jobs in terms of Stress vs. $
March 29, 2010 @ 07:19 PM
Imco0l

comp sci is some fun shit.
March 29, 2010 @ 08:23 PM
hypoh

Programming isn't for everyone, so if you're having serious trouble, don't force it upon yourself.
March 30, 2010 @ 01:20 AM
cheezeandrice

I'm a comp sci major. But if programmings not for you, how about learning to maintain/optimize servers or build websites. Or you can use your marketing knowledge on the internet, just apply it to facebook/youtube/twitter
March 30, 2010 @ 01:52 AM
F/22

Programming isn't for everyone, so if you're having serious trouble, don't force it upon yourself.

programming is like an art major
nobody majors in photography unless they enjoy it as a hobby on their spare time
March 30, 2010 @ 10:50 AM
DaTruth1

I'm a comp sci major finishing my 3rd year undergrad, but I applied for med school so hopefully that is the career path I'll be taking smile
March 30, 2010 @ 10:57 AM
jameltoe

If I were you, I'd do computer sciences and learn about Search Engine Optimization. I (along with a few other friends) graduated last may with a degree in marketing and all but one girl are unemployed.

With knowledge of SEO, you can do contract labor for companies to help them get found online. It gives you the freedom to work only as much as you want and all you need is a computer.

If I could do it all over, thats what I would do.
March 30, 2010 @ 12:15 PM
ReZ

programming is like an art major
nobody majors in photography unless they enjoy it as a hobby on their spare time

Yeah, except you have a future. Friend just took an offer from Cisco at the beginning of his fourth year undergrad career. FYI, nearly all engineering-based majors are lucrative out of college.

1. Know your coding
2. Move to Silicon Valley
3. Profit
April 16, 2010 @ 02:20 PM
WojieWorldPeace

yeah, except you have a future. Friend just took an offer from cisco at the beginning of his fourth year undergrad career. Fyi, nearly all engineering-based majors are lucrative out of college.

1. Know your coding
2. Move to silicon valley
3. Profit

cool

I'm enjoying it somewhat. It's interesting having to actually work at learning something for once. I'll try to work on some java and C and shit over the summer just to give myself some prior knowledge to some of my future classes.

Buffalo Bills till I die.

Please login first to reply.