300+ New Sale Items (Up to 80% Off Selected Brands)
March 22, 2010 @ 10:00 AM
jay tee

Even though im sure everyone commenting here has read the entire 1800+ page bill in full, here is a run down of what the reform bill means for the american people:

WITHIN THE FIRST YEAR OF ENACTMENT

Insurance companies will be barred from dropping people from coverage when they get sick.

Lifetime coverage limits will be eliminated and annual limits are to be restricted.

Insurers will be barred from excluding children for coverage because of pre-existing conditions.

Young adults will be able to stay on their parents' health plans until the age of 26. Many health plans currently drop dependents from coverage when they turn 19 or finish college.

Uninsured adults with a pre-existing conditions will be able to obtain health coverage through a new program that will expire once new insurance exchanges begin operating in 2014.

A temporary reinsurance program is created to help companies maintain health coverage for early retirees between the ages of 55 and 64. This also expires in 2014.

Medicare drug beneficiaries who fall into the "doughnut hole" coverage gap will get a $250 rebate. The bill eventually closes that gap which currently begins after $2,700 is spent on drugs. Coverage starts again after $6,154 is spent.

A tax credit becomes available for some small businesses to help provide coverage for workers.

A 10 percent tax on indoor tanning services that use ultraviolet lamps goes into effect on July

WHAT HAPPENS IN 2011

Medicare provides 10 percent bonus payments to primary care physicians and general surgeons.

Medicare beneficiaries will be able to get a free annual wellness visit and personalized prevention plan service. New health plans will be required to cover preventive services with little or no cost to patients.

A new program under the Medicaid plan for the poor goes into effect in October that allows states to offer home and community based care for the disabled that might otherwise require institutional care.

Payments to insurers offering Medicare Advantage services are frozen at 2010 levels. These payments are to be gradually reduced to bring them more in line with traditional Medicare.

Employers are required to disclose the value of health benefits on employees' W-2 tax forms.

An annual fee is imposed on pharmaceutical companies according to market share. The fee does not apply to companies with sales of $5 million or less.

WHAT HAPPENS IN 2012

Physician payment reforms are implemented in Medicare to enhance primary care services and encourage doctors to form "accountable care organizations" to improve quality and efficiency of care.

An incentive program is established in Medicare for acute care hospitals to improve quality outcomes.

The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, which oversees the government programs, begin tracking hospital readmission rates and puts in place financial incentives to reduce preventable readmissions.

WHAT HAPPENS IN 2013

A national pilot program is established for Medicare on payment bundling to encourage doctors, hospitals and other care providers to better coordinate patient care.

The threshold for claiming medical expenses on itemized tax returns is raised to 10 percent from 7.5 percent of income. The threshold remains at 7.5 percent for the elderly through 2016.

The Medicare payroll tax is raised to 2.35 percent from 1.45 percent for individuals earning more than $200,000 and married couples with incomes over $250,000. The tax is imposed on some investment income for that income group.

A 2.9 percent excise tax in imposed on the sale of medical devices. Anything generally purchased at the retail level by the public is excluded from the tax.

WHAT HAPPENS IN 2014

State health insurance exchanges for small businesses and individuals open.

Most people will be required to obtain health insurance coverage or pay a fine if they don't. Healthcare tax credits become available to help people with incomes up to 400 percent of poverty purchase coverage on the exchange.

Health plans no longer can exclude people from coverage due to pre-existing conditions.

Employers with 50 or more workers who do not offer coverage face a fine of $2,000 for each employee if any worker receives subsidized insurance on the exchange. The first 30 employees aren't counted for the fine.

Health insurance companies begin paying a fee based on their market share.

WHAT HAPPENS IN 2015

Medicare creates a physician payment program aimed at rewarding quality of care rather than volume of services.

WHAT HAPPENS IN 2018

An excise tax on high cost employer-provided plans is imposed. The first $27,500 of a family plan and $10,200 for individual coverage is exempt from the tax. Higher levels are set for plans covering retirees and people in high risk professions.
March 22, 2010 @ 10:03 AM
The Main Event

No. You don't appreciate shit. How can you say you appreciate what you have but in return say it's fine for the poor to just die and suffer? You said it yourself: "my dad worked his ass off to come from a family with very little". With your mindset, your dad deserved to die.

Maybe if the "poor" became motivated to actually try to change their lives they wouldn't be in the position they are now. I'm not saying it is easy to work your way up, but I feel like many of these people don't even put forth the effort.
March 22, 2010 @ 10:08 AM
Shanklin

You still don't get it bro. It's easier said then done.

http://kevinshanklin.com/ IF YOU HAVE A FFFOUND.COM INVITE MSG ME

March 22, 2010 @ 10:16 AM
thenorthside

We need to have poor/ lower class people in our society thats just the way it is. Not everyone is gonna rise to middle class. With that being said theres no reason why these people dont deserve health care. You cant put a price on a persons life.

well-said. cool

9 to 5 is how to survive, i ain't tryin' to survive. i'm tryin' to live it to the limit and love it a lot

March 22, 2010 @ 10:21 AM
Weisshaus

I do appreciate what I have, my dad worked his ass off to come from a family with very little to where he is now, allowing him to provide a decent living for his family. He is paying for basically my whole education so I have a chance to get ahead in life. Why should he have to give hand outs to people who don't deserve it?

Yeah FUCK POOR PEOPLE. WHY DO THEY GET TO USE THE ROADS AND SIDEWALKS MY TAXES PAY FOR! WHY DO THE POLICE I PAY FOR PROTECT THEM! HOW DARE THEY EXPECT A FIREMAN WHOS WAGES I'M PAYING TO COME AND SAVE THEIR STUFF FROM GOING UP IN SMOKE! WHEN THEY GET SICK, THEY SHOULD JUST DIE. BECAUSE THEIR POOR, OBVIOUSLY THEIR LIVES ARE WORTH LESS.

your an idiot. So how would you feel if instead of your dad being able to work his way into being somewhere, he died or was burdened with a lifetime of debt simply because of the situation he was born into?

Only people against this are spoilt rich people and idiots.

why don't they deserve good health?
March 22, 2010 @ 10:27 AM
Dray

Finally some sane people in this thread.
March 22, 2010 @ 10:28 AM
SubP

im for this health care reform at the moment , idgaf if i take a slight pay cut, i know it wont be a siginficant cut, however I do think there will be an increase in general practitioner's salaries, and a decrease in speciality salaries such as anethesiologists or radiologists(the top paying)

everybody deserves health care to improve the quality of their life, until you've face a serious illness and have dealt with life and death consequences you will feel empathy to the people who really really need it and can't afford it

but i do feel that a lot of practicing doctors now do not support the health care reform, there are a lot of doctors who try to shun away medicare already, this shit will make em move
March 22, 2010 @ 10:49 AM
damnwitless2

suspended

Maybe if the "poor" became motivated to actually try to change their lives they wouldn't be in the position they are now. I'm not saying it is easy to work your way up, but I feel like many of these people don't even put forth the effort.

I can't believe you're serious

All I do is smoke weed, blow lines, and listen to MF DOOM. And rap. http://www.facebook.com/SpacemanNYC

March 22, 2010 @ 10:58 AM
Yerm

Please read a book or take a college level sociology class.
March 22, 2010 @ 11:24 AM
ᴊᴜᴀɴ

Finally some sane people in this thread.

Word
March 22, 2010 @ 11:27 AM
dylanrocksss

it's not that they aren't motivated; how the fuck would you feel if you were in a class that has been so repressed throughout history? I'd say about 90% of the lower class struggles every day just to get by and because they sign up for welfare or food stamps, or want universal healthcare they are automatically fucking everyone else and milking the system. And we can bring in race and the history of race repression that is dated beyond the declaration of independence.

but i'll tell you what's up, even if that WAS the case, if i was fucked by the government so long, i would want to start reaping benefits where ever i could.

and if you have noticed over the past few presidencies, the middle class has been fading away, where the rich get richer and everyone else gets poorer. obama is trying to save the middle class that most of us are a part of. i will bet that he won't be liked during his term(s) as a president but in 10-20 years we will look back and say "in a time where the odds were against him, he did the right thing", just like abraham lincoln.
March 22, 2010 @ 11:32 AM
ᴊᴜᴀɴ

March 22, 2010 @ 11:38 AM
sellme

I do appreciate what I have, my dad worked his ass off to come from a family with very little to where he is now, allowing him to provide a decent living for his family. He is paying for basically my whole education so I have a chance to get ahead in life. Why should he have to give hand outs to people who don't deserve it?

LMAO this shit is fucking hilarious! This kid just admitted to being a worthless sack of shit who's only redeeming quality that makes him deserving of receiving healthcare is the fact that he was born.

Go kill yourself.
March 22, 2010 @ 11:44 AM
YeahCrassMix

Be nice now. He was probably just repeating his dad's retarded view on the subject.
March 22, 2010 @ 11:55 AM
Corny Al

honestly this bill is fucking dope. before it passed my mom and dad were making me go to the dentist and doctor and shit all the time preventively, because i turn 18 soon and will be dropped from their plan. now i can relax knowing i will have health care through my moms work for 7 more years! i consider myself conservative, but i cannot deny a good thing.
March 22, 2010 @ 12:20 PM
vince24L

I think as of right now. From my current position in life, in not having insurance for the past two years. This should be a great thing. I can't even imagine if my wife got seriously ill without insurance. But time will tell. This could end up being very bad as well. The quality of health care could go way down. And this could also really hurt the already struggling small businesses. Hell even businesses with 25-40 employees might cut down to 24 just to dodge the tax. As alot of businesses can't afford the extra tax in already struggling times. So for businesses to pay the tax they would end up cutting wages or have a hiring freeze... Whichhhh is kind of the opposite of what we need right now.

So yeah we'd get healthcare for all. But also get worse quality health treatment, unemployement goes up more & even atleast a small number of businesses go under.
March 22, 2010 @ 12:24 PM
FreshAddict

you're straight ignorant. You have admitted that you are fortunate for being cared for by your father...So what have you done? Have you earned what you have? No, you've inherited it. How are you then going to say that other people your age should have to work 100x harder than you to simply have health care, let alone good living conditions. People are born into difficult situations, situations that have placed them in poverty and a system that makes it nearly impossible to escape poverty. Why should they not have the right to health care? You have no more of a right to life than any other person.

Just take that in and please explain to me why you feel you're more valuable than others...

BTW, I know American Republicans love to criticize Canadian health care and claim that people will die waiting for health care...that's bullshit...Canadian health care is great, undoubtedly has its flaws but wayyy less than there have been in the US for years...
March 22, 2010 @ 12:30 PM
ImperiusRex

you're straight ignorant. You have admitted that you are fortunate for being cared for by your father...So what have you done? Have you earned what you have? No, you've inherited it. How are you then going to say that other people your age should have to work 100x harder than you to simply have health care, let alone good living conditions. People are born into difficult situations, situations that have placed them in poverty and a system that makes it nearly impossible to escape poverty. Why should they not have the right to health care? You have no more of a right to life than any other person.

Just take that in and please explain to me why you feel you're more valuable than others...

BTW, I know American Republicans love to criticize Canadian health care and claim that people will die waiting for health care...that's bullshit...Canadian health care is great, undoubtedly has its flaws but wayyy less than there have been in the US for years...

This guy speaks truth
March 22, 2010 @ 01:09 PM
Weisshaus

March 22, 2010 @ 01:23 PM
damnwitless2

suspended

so true

All I do is smoke weed, blow lines, and listen to MF DOOM. And rap. http://www.facebook.com/SpacemanNYC

March 22, 2010 @ 02:04 PM
shakintheD

Meh w.e as for the poor people thing.
America is a land of DREAMs. If mexicans can come here and make a living why can't poor people who's been living her can't? I hate when poor people blame the country for not giving them a job and shit when they are standing there doing nothing.

As for higher taxes for health care, I don't mind it even though I have insurance.

I dont get why rich people care about higher taxes since they are rich anyways lol
March 22, 2010 @ 02:10 PM
Dray

Meh w.e as for the poor people thing.
America is a land of DREAMs. If mexicans can come here and make a living why can't poor people who's been living her can't? I hate when poor people blame the country for not giving them a job and shit when they are standing there doing nothing.

As for higher taxes for health care, I don't mind it even though I have insurance.

I dont get why rich people care about higher taxes since they are rich anyways lol

Im from cali. The mexicans that come here are definently poor. Being helped medically should be a moral right not a priviledge.
March 22, 2010 @ 02:10 PM
Pinhead Larry

jesus fucking christ. NOBAMA.
March 22, 2010 @ 02:14 PM
C_Augustus_O

Im from cali. The mexicans that come here are definently poor. Being helped medically should be a moral right not a priviledge.

Thank you

What i really care about is the financial aid bill that got passed along side it.

Obama ftw

https://twitter.com/#!/C_Augustus_O

March 22, 2010 @ 02:21 PM
!@#$%

For me its not about the taxes...I think people that need health care should be helped but it should not come at the expense of my quality of health care
March 22, 2010 @ 02:22 PM
damnwitless2

suspended

and how do you think your quality of health care will be affected?

March 22, 2010 @ 02:27 PM
!@#$%

Other countries that have adopted socialized medicine have experienced, rationalized Medicine, waiting months to get a diagnostic test. Then waiting months to years to get the required medical treatment that the diagnosis proved needed.
Also old people were denied urgently needed medical treatment due to their age and the system being unable to provide the care giving in essence
March 22, 2010 @ 02:30 PM
jamestapoz

this
March 22, 2010 @ 02:33 PM
URALLMORONS

pssssh please, if youre on this website... then america has given you your reason to live/your lifestyle

America BULLIES EVERYONE and can kick EVERYONEs ass

you know, i know it, and the American People know it.. bitch

FIXED*

America as a country throws it's weight around to get what it wants, yes we(USA) are the destroyer but sometimes the reformer(for our own benefit of course) of the world.
March 22, 2010 @ 02:35 PM
Citizen-16657

"my dad". YOU did not work for what you have or the lifestyle you live, it's just luck, and there's a whole bunch of people out there who's luck wasn't as good as yours

Thats not luck you fuckin chucklehead that's called taking care of your own. Most good parents want to give their children what they didn't have. I for one will let my kid work his ass off to get wtf he wants just like my parents did I.

The problem is parents want to give their kids what they didn't and all that does is encourage laziness in some instances, not all but some.

Please login first to reply.