Get an Extra 20% Off Sale Items - Use code: EXTRA20
March 4, 2010 @ 03:14 PM
faust

^ You don't wanna back that up? No homo, lol.

lol good shit on "no homo" otherwise ..... sad
March 4, 2010 @ 03:18 PM
young idiot

I say nature, because as a heterosexual woman there is not a damn thing on the face of this earth that will make me want to play with any other coochie but my own.

But isn't that still preference rather than anything you were born with, like hair colour or an aptitude for maths?
March 4, 2010 @ 03:34 PM
ClydeFrazier

^ You don't wanna back that up? No homo, lol.

i think a good example is my ex girls dad. he was raised in the south by a military family, always found to be fairly feminine. he married, joined the airforce, and tried to be heterosexual but it's simply not something you can just do. he came out about 10 years ago, destroying his relationship with his wife, who, while he wasn't sexually attracted to her, he considered his best friend. his entire family (dad, brothers, sisters, cousins, etc) still don't talk to him as if he was some kind of freak and my girlfriend and her sister didn't talk to him for a period of time. coming out for him was the hardest thing he's ever had to do.

you really think that man chose to be gay or was "nutured" in an environment to become gay?

shit my best friend's brother, who i've known since he was 7, has always been feminine. all he used to do was draw and watch musicals (i'm not even kidding, i came over once to find him watching sound of music and started crackin up). it now turns out that he's gay as well, though he hasn't come out to his school, he has to his family. everyone at his school already rejects him for being feminine and assumes he's gay, he could probably count his male friends on one hand.

it's not a sexual preference. yes it's MORE accepted today, but i think you can ask just about any gay man or woman and they'll tell you at one point or another they wished more than anything they were straight.

Melo Gang All Day

March 4, 2010 @ 03:38 PM
young idiot

^ Can't the two be reconciled, though? Like, you CAN be gay all your life, but it's just a preference. Obviously, with some people, that preference is so strong it might feel like a limb or whatever, but it's still a preference.

Maybe none of this matters. Someone upthread said scientists had done studies on this; why waste the money on such an inconsequential thing? Genetic engineering? I just think it's an interesting thing to talk about.
March 4, 2010 @ 03:50 PM
nurture

its in the name bitches..

seriously though, i reckon nature plays a vital part in the course of your life. but i'd rather think of it as the foundation which is provided for you to build upton with nurturing..

succumbing to nature would mean succumbing to the fact that you're limited to how you're programmed to be from the start. personally i dont like the idea of being powerless to your own nature...
March 4, 2010 @ 04:06 PM
young idiot

^ There's a freedom to being powerless though. Abandon.
March 4, 2010 @ 04:10 PM
SK1

yep. the greeks were mad homo, and their DNA can't be that different than ours.

I feel like this example gives more credence to the social or cultural argument. For example, at the same time as the Greeks and their "acceptance" of homosexuality, the Israelites created harsh laws banning the practice. I have the feeling you were more likely to be homosexual in Greece than in Israel.

That being said, it would have been social taboo to be homosexual in Greece. Did men have sex with other men? Yes, but to not be married and get enjoyment from the female sex would have been utterly strange to the Ancient Greeks.

The idea of being repulsed by one particular sex is clearly due to societal & cultural reasons, I think. But I think the idea of being repulsed to one's own sex and preferring the opposite is much more explainable by natural phenomena.

I think we live in a society where people can choose, which I think facilitates more easily people being able to be openly gay. By choose I don't mean choosing to be gay, but choosing to stay in the closet or denying your homosexual desires.
March 4, 2010 @ 04:31 PM
NelsS

I think we live in a society where people can choose, which I think facilitates more easily people being able to be openly gay. By choose I don't mean choosing to be gay, but choosing to stay in the closet or denying your homosexual desires.

so you're saying that people don't choose to be gay then?
March 4, 2010 @ 04:32 PM
imtheman

shit my best friend's brother, who i've known since he was 7, has always been feminine. all he used to do was draw and watch musicals (i'm not even kidding, i came over once to find him watching sound of music and started crackin up). it now turns out that he's gay as well, though he hasn't come out to his school, he has to his family. everyone at his school already rejects him for being feminine and assumes he's gay, he could probably count his male friends on one hand.

If saw a kid like this, acting feminine at a young age, I would think that the parents werent showing the kid whats for girls, whats for boys, etc etc. Not to say that Musicals and plays are for gays or girls or whatever, because I have a cousin who is a little pimp and does plays. But I personally wouldnt let my kid play with dolls, makeup, high heels, etc, and let him think that its alright to be cross-dressing or whatever else at a young age because then the kid will grow up thinking its alright to be feminine. Basically, I feel that if a kid is showing these kind of traits at such a young age where their brains are sponges, then correct it, unless the parent doesnt care whether the kid grows up to be gay or not, because the kid wouldnt know any different. So again, I think it comes down to the individuals experiences, the people they are surrounded with, the things theyre exposed to which can set the gay-trigger off.
March 4, 2010 @ 05:00 PM
young idiot

^ GENDER ROLES. woop woop, sociology.
March 4, 2010 @ 05:19 PM
Dray

so you're saying that people don't choose to be gay then?

Not trying to air u out but did you "choose" to be gay or do you think it was kind of natural.
March 4, 2010 @ 05:26 PM
ClydeFrazier

the kid's dad is one of the most macho dudes i know. it's not like they didn't try encouraging him to get involved in more masculine activites, but he can't help who he is. (he's never gone so far as crossdressing either. there's a difference between a dude liking dudes and a dude wanting to be a girl) and if it's all about sociology, why is homosexuality displayed by so many animals?

Melo Gang All Day

March 4, 2010 @ 06:37 PM
Hobbes.

I don't believe that there's a "Gay Gene" or that your born gay.

How do you know you're straight?

Your answer: I dunno...I just know....

Now you know exactly how a homosexual person feels (I can hope, but you're opinion won't change). Anyone who thinks different or that it is a "choice", is simply ignorant. I have never heard or met a single gay person who ever hinted at "choosing to be gay". Maybe they just have a vast conspiracy going around to push the idea of being born gay...yeah, that's it.
March 4, 2010 @ 06:45 PM
ᴊᴜᴀɴ

Now you know exactly how a homosexual person feels (I can hope, but you're opinion won't change). Anyone who thinks different or that it is a "choice", is simply ignorant. I have never heard or met a single gay person who ever hinted at "choosing to be gay". Maybe they just have a vast conspiracy going around to push the idea of being born gay...yeah, that's it.

I know I'm straight because im attracted to females and I love Vagina.
March 4, 2010 @ 06:49 PM
ᴊᴜᴀɴ

I have no problem with homosexuality. I have a few relatives that are gay. I think somewhere in their early lifetime something triggered in their brain to make them gay. Whether its the lack of a strong male figure in their life or the fact that they rather play with barbies than G.I. Joe figures i think an early life experience makes every gay person gay. I'm not saying i'm right but this is just my imo.
March 4, 2010 @ 06:50 PM
chaobro

you must be fucking retarded
March 4, 2010 @ 06:55 PM
NelsS

If saw a kid like this, acting feminine at a young age, I would think that the parents werent showing the kid whats for girls, whats for boys, etc etc. Not to say that Musicals and plays are for gays or girls or whatever, because I have a cousin who is a little pimp and does plays. But I personally wouldnt let my kid play with dolls, makeup, high heels, etc, and let him think that its alright to be cross-dressing or whatever else at a young age because then the kid will grow up thinking its alright to be feminine. Basically, I feel that if a kid is showing these kind of traits at such a young age where their brains are sponges, then correct it, unless the parent doesnt care whether the kid grows up to be gay or not, because the kid wouldnt know any different. So again, I think it comes down to the individuals experiences, the people they are surrounded with, the things theyre exposed to which can set the gay-trigger off.

those are societal based gender roles, there's nothing natural about "boy things" and "girl things". did you ever see love & basketball? tomboy turns out to be a pretty STRAIGHT girl. not 100% of people that play with toys suggested for the opposite sex turn out raging homos.

Not trying to air u out but did you "choose" to be gay or do you think it was kind of natural.

i definitely don't believe people choose to be gay. who would choose to be ridiculed, gay-bashed, harassed, have basic rights denied? nobody that i know. at the same time, i can believe that a person can choose whether or not to be open about it. seeing how receptive some of you, and the world in general, are to the gay community leaves many people too scared to embrace their sexuality.
like a few people already mentioned, homosexuality is found in a plethora of species as completely natural. whether or not there is a gay gene wouldn't make much sense, seeing as many gay people are born to heterosexual parents.
March 4, 2010 @ 07:05 PM
ᴊᴜᴀɴ

Thinking the same
March 4, 2010 @ 07:21 PM
SK1

I would like to know a species where homosexuality is natural? I know plenty where bi sexuality is, but none were outright homosexuality is.

This whole choice question is riddled with fallacies. Just because someone doesn't have a conscious memory of choice, doesn't mean it doesn't exist somewhere in the subconscious or unconscious.
March 4, 2010 @ 07:22 PM
young idiot

What reasons would their subconscious have for choosing homosexuality, out of interest?
March 4, 2010 @ 07:24 PM
SK1

Oh I'm not saying the subconscious makes a choice. What I'm saying is the memory or event or whatever you want to call it that causes the person to be gay exists somewhere in the mind, probably in the subconscious or unconscious.
March 4, 2010 @ 07:25 PM
ACTiON FUNKENSTEiN

Damn, some of you guys are intolerant as shit. It's funny listening you guys bitch about racist people all day and night but then make fun of homosexual people. People are born that way and there's nothing wrong with it. Let them be themselves and be happy. Religion might say homosexuality is wrong, but fuck the Bible and fuck religion.
March 4, 2010 @ 07:32 PM
antislash

In the roman times homosexuality was normal. Religion made it frowmed upon but before then women were essentially only for babies. The romans had a "boyfriend" in battle because u wouldnt let your spouse die would you? My point is its natural and somewhere down the line society made it a sin.

thats the 4.0 talking dray got all the answers young
March 4, 2010 @ 07:33 PM
young idiot

Dangerous territory, comparing racism to homosexuality. If I was a different kinda forum member, I might make a donaldray joke.
March 4, 2010 @ 07:36 PM
fog

..All conditioned things are impermanent. Work out your own salvation with diligence.
March 4, 2010 @ 08:12 PM
imtheman

those are societal based gender roles, there's nothing natural about "boy things" and "girl things". did you ever see love & basketball? tomboy turns out to be a pretty STRAIGHT girl. not 100% of people that play with toys suggested for the opposite sex turn out raging homos.

Gender based roles have been around for ages! Males attempt to have offspring with females and females deliver that offspring, whatever the female does in between doesnt matter. Now when the females start trying to "mate" with other females, well then we have a problem because two women & two men cant have kids! So being born gay just does not fly with me until there is a gene that allllll homo's share that is shown to the world.
And tomboys only refer to women playing men dominated sports or other boyish/manly things... what would we call a man who does girly or feminine things??!
March 4, 2010 @ 08:15 PM
why?wolf

definitely don't believe people choose to be gay. who would choose to be ridiculed, gay-bashed, harassed, have basic rights denied?

^ This
anyone who thinks that being gay is a choice is on some christian zealot bible camp shit. Have you seen these attempts to change gays? The shit does not work and if it did why would so many religious men/politicians get caught sucking dicks?
March 4, 2010 @ 08:31 PM
Hobbes.

I know I'm straight because im attracted to females and I love Vagina.

So basically you re-enforce the point I already made. Nice.

March 4, 2010 @ 08:48 PM
Shoutbox

definitely don't believe people choose to be gay. who would choose to be ridiculed, gay-bashed, harassed, have basic rights denied?

^ This
anyone who thinks that being gay is a choice is on some christian zealot bible camp shit. Have you seen these attempts to change gays? The shit does not work and if it did why would so many religious men/politicians get caught sucking dicks?

people choose to act rebellious, disobey, attempt suicide and inflict physical damage on themselves (cutting wrist) all for attention as well. they know the consequences of these actions. i dont find it hard to believe that they would choose to be gay, knowing what will happen, just for the attention.

and also why?wolf being gay is not only wrong in the religious viewpoint, but like i said before, and has been stated several times already gay people cant reproduce so in the scientific viewpoint if "natural selection" is true then gay people would eventually die off if it wasn't for our advanced society.
March 4, 2010 @ 09:18 PM
GenuineGirl

I believe we were all born straight. When we were born we don't know anything. We were governed by our instincts. And according to the Bible and nature, there are only two genders. So if a person turns out to be gay or tomboy at that, it's not because he or she was born that way but it's because he or she has been influenced by the environment in which he or she has existed.

Please login first to reply.