October 24, 2009 @ 09:40 AM
/GSTUDIOS\

So, for all the guys here who are college-aged (and it'd be nice to hear from anyone that goes to UCLA), I'm applying to UCLA and I need to write two 1000 word prompts for my essays.

Prompt #1:
1000 words on "Describe the world you come from
October 24, 2009 @ 09:47 AM
SubP

your ACT is low too

real talk, and this is coming from a nerd, how about you retake your ACT and get a 33+

that means u need to study right now

im sorry but it should be easy to get a high high schol GPA

your only chance is to get a 33+
October 24, 2009 @ 09:50 AM
estoybien

i'm applying to UCLA too, also out-of-state from NJ

i havent even started the app (two 1000 word essays...fuck)

this is cliche advice but be genuine, show don't tell, and remember that the essay is about you, not whatever else is in the essay. make sure you focus on how everything affected you and don't make the essay just a narrative of some moment in your life. dont use cliches. since your writing is about you or your growth/ambitions/whatever, it's very easy to make your shit sound super cheesy if you use cliches (ie "ever since i was a little kid...")

and exaggerate your stories or whatever so that your story is more effective in conveying whatever you wanna convey, but present it realistically.

+ take the ACTS again, i didn't realize you had a 26. you probably want to be on their 75th percentile (31+) or higher if your out of state with a lower gpa
October 24, 2009 @ 09:51 AM
/GSTUDIOS\

yeah dawg I understand that, but there's always exceptions. my parent's are paying for the application fees so i really have nothing to lose except for a couple hours of my time.

i'm working on the ACT thing also, because that's really one of the only things that I can even moderately control at this point.

edit:
yeah thanks estoybien...good luck with your apps man
October 24, 2009 @ 09:58 AM
PowerCum

your academic record is not very impressive which will make it that much tougher for you because you are OOS. How are your ECs?
October 24, 2009 @ 09:58 AM
nostalgia

subprime is a nerd
October 24, 2009 @ 10:09 AM
Dubstep

just to let you know, UCLA is a very competitive school

My dad is an alumni and I have taken Micro-Economics there,and just as a heads up, i suggest that you apply to MORE UC schools since that prompt is applicable to all UC's

I've written my brothers college entrance essays for an Xbox LOL, but i have written them for his UC applications and even wrote two essays for Cornell and Brown which were good enough to get him interviewed, but Im letting you know that, chances are REAL slim you'll get accepted to UCLA, you better be black or latino lol

btw, my brother is going to UCR
October 24, 2009 @ 10:19 AM
/GSTUDIOS\

yeah, I already know all of these things. It will be a miracle and I will be extremely lucky if I get accepted, but all I can count on at the moment is the chance of me being an exception and the admissions board being impressed by my portfolio and essays.

Because of the fact that I can really only rely on my essays at this point, I'm trying to put a very critical effort into writing the "perfect" essay so that they might give me a chance and look past my grades, because that is always a possibility.
October 24, 2009 @ 10:40 AM
kilogram

i feel like your academic grades don't accurately reflect your intelligence, but you def got your work cut out for you on that essay. try to work with an english professor to make sure your essay is fucking flawless, i wrote like 4-5 drafts when i did that shit
October 24, 2009 @ 11:00 AM
shinesolo

i'm in a similar situation, my grades are mediocre, especially in math and science. my gpa is a 3.5 unweighted and a 3.9 weighted. ive got a 1900 on the sat. but ive got 0 extracurriculars besides the school newspaper and some minor work on the yearbook last year so idk what to do.

i havent even started applying yet, im falling behind. when i get my transcript next week and my rank (which will be terrible, im expecting around 120), then ill start applying
October 24, 2009 @ 11:41 AM
nikeXcartoon

Just a heads up, the essay is 1,000 words total for both prompts.

Good luck getting in though. I had a 3.9, 1910 SAT, and a few extracurriculars and didn't get in 2 years ago.
October 24, 2009 @ 11:45 AM
FakeassJulian

sucks for you.
especially if you're white/asian.
My sis is going to caltech but its most likely because she is hispanic/latino.
her gpa was 3.5...
October 24, 2009 @ 12:50 PM
DAT CAT

Just a heads up, the essay is 1,000 words total for both prompts.

Good luck getting in though. I had a 3.9, 1910 SAT, and a few extracurriculars and didn't get in 2 years ago.

truth, you only get 1000 words to cover both prompts. dumbass
October 24, 2009 @ 01:45 PM
$KickaPop$

you're not gonna get in. and school is overrated.
October 24, 2009 @ 01:52 PM
DREWKKAKE

i feel like your academic grades don't accurately reflect your intelligence, but you def got your work cut out for you on that essay. try to work with an english professor to make sure your essay is fucking flawless, i wrote like 4-5 drafts when i did that shit

they don't reflect your intelligence lol but nobody cares how smart a person really is it sucks.

Forum Administrator • @DREWKKAKE

October 24, 2009 @ 01:57 PM
Junksen

the average gpa to get into UCLA is a 4.06 and out of 4,000 aplicants, 1,000 make it
October 24, 2009 @ 02:00 PM
deadpooL

<---- UCLA

You're fucked holmes. Post pics of your rejection letter when you get it in the mail.
October 24, 2009 @ 02:01 PM
grizzzly

youre better off going to a CC

then transferring in
October 24, 2009 @ 02:03 PM
Comikazi

hey just out of curiosity, which do you guys think is a better school (not in terms of social life but like academics/reputation) Duke or UCLA?
October 24, 2009 @ 02:04 PM
northwest

UCLA is competitive. that should say a lot.
/GSTUDIOS\

[QUOTE=Junksen
deadpooL

hey just out of curiosity, which do you guys think is a better school (not in terms of social life but like academics/reputation) Duke or UCLA?

duke is a shithole. ucla > duke.
October 24, 2009 @ 02:06 PM
estoybien

duke's academic reputation is better than ucla's.

btw the UC's don't use your freshman year when they recalculate your gpa.
October 24, 2009 @ 02:07 PM
FakeassJulian

Actually depends.
UCLA is overrated as fuck.
Depends on what you want to major in.
i don't plan on applying to UCLA considering they don't have journalism, but i applied to USC Anneberg, Northwestern Medill, Syracuse SI Newhouse, and NYUs Journalism school.
October 24, 2009 @ 02:10 PM
Junksen

Yes I understand how crazy the competition is and I understand that my odds are heavily telling me that I won't get in, but to me, it's worth the attempt because of how highly I would value being accepted.

-A good test score with an average GPA tells a school that I'm smart but also a lazy student
-An average test score with a good GPA tells a school that I'm of average intelligence but I work hard.

Every admissions board is different, so some schools like one way and other schools like another way.

It's a goal of mine to be accepted into the school, and at this moment of my life, I'd probably say that's the highest goal that I'm aspiring to accomplish and I would truly be proud of myself if it happened, which is why I'm going out of my way to ask for help.

go to a CC bro
October 24, 2009 @ 02:11 PM
Comikazi

duke is a shithole. ucla > duke.

what makes you say that?
October 24, 2009 @ 02:14 PM
kmz

u wont get in
go to CC and transfer
October 24, 2009 @ 02:24 PM
ImTired

Honestly, with that record, you wont get in, 100% guaranteed. don't even think about little 0.01% chance of you getting in. Save yourself that application fee. Theres planty plenty of kids who have your same ACT score/higher GPA or higher GPA/same ACT score. And since EVERYONE wants to go to school now, schools are getting a lot tighter with how much they accept, especially with the whole budget cutting. If class of 2009 thought that their year of applying was bad, the UCs announced like 1-2 months ago that they're limiting applications this year even more.

I'd say with your record, you'd be very, VERY lucky to get accepted into UC Irvine. I highly doubt you'd even get into UCSD.
oliverg_ucla

I go to UCLA and I'm a fourth year. To be honest, like everyone said, those scores are pretty low. Yes, they do look at an application holistically but they also have score cutoffs where if you don't meet them you're out in the first round and dont even get to be seen by an admissions committee.

However, your scores aren't terribly low. If you get chosen for review then you better have an amazing personal statement or extracurriculars that are really out there.

I'd say in this economic climate, you have to weigh the pros and cons of going to a UC. With budget cuts a lot of departments are feeling it. However, it's a UC and its relatively cheap compared to private schools but not to CSUs or doing CC and transferring in.

If you're planning on going into any health related field I'd say UCLA is one of the best for public schools, albeit lower budgets means slightly less of a better education. To be honest, a lot of how well you do in college depends on how hard you seek things outside of class (well for science majors at least). This means tutoring, office hours, getting practice exams.

If you're planning onto going into something non-professional (non-law, non-business, etc) getting a degree right now isn't that helpful for your long term career in my opinion. Being in college in these hard economic times only solidified my desire to work a shitload so I can get a secure job in the future. Times are tough for the family (even though my guilty pleasure lies in buying all this gear) but you gotta work your ass off even more than ever in the past.

Going to a private school would be wonderful, but I can't afford that and I don't want to take out the loans considering I plan to go to further schooling after undergrad.

That's a little spiel but if you have any more questions I'd be willing to answer them
modernART

which is why I'm going out of my way to ask for help.

take it from me, a recent college graduate, stick to the hypebeast forums for fashion advice, but not for career or education advice. most people on here are very young, and there's only a select few who can provide you with valuable college advice.

if you haven't already done so, i recommend you speak with your school advisers, counselors, and teachers. if you have special after school programs that are geared towards helping graduating seniors through the college admission process, i suggest you look into that. in california, we have EAOP (at least in my high school we did; BEFORE all the state budget cuts).

that being said, keep in mind that ALL california colleges are going through a lot of budget cuts, and priority (believe it or not) will be given to california residents. Example, ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL, if UCLA (or any other CA college) had to choose between a CA resident or an out of state student for acceptance (remember ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL), they will select the CA resident over the out of state student. You truly truly have to make yourself competitive out there, be it through GPA, test scores, extracurricular, and a really thorough prompt. And sometimes, that's STILL not good enough.

good luck in your endeavors though.

Please login first to reply.