Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
June 16, 2009 @ 09:41 PM
acebanks

First it was the kid forgoing his senior year of HS to go play hoops overseas. Now it looks like this cat is going to dropout as well, forgoing his last two years to go play CC baseball. I'm on the fence on this one too. Kids in the DR are getting scooped up by scouts at 15. Double standard?
[I]
His name is Bryce Harper. You don
June 16, 2009 @ 09:45 PM
Failure Pt.4

soon, muthafuckers wont even be going to high school smh
June 16, 2009 @ 09:47 PM

Inactive

Can't wait for this kid to flop to discourage any other "phenoms" from taking such a stupid course of action.
June 16, 2009 @ 09:47 PM
TwiggyDig

crazy shit man
June 16, 2009 @ 09:48 PM
acebanks

sure, leave HS if the money is there. But this kid is dropping out for the GED and Community College. That's not a guarantee. This is a formula for a smack problem like Josh Hamilton. Check out his interviews. As soon as he got away from home he was getting tatted and started doing Tony Yayo.
June 16, 2009 @ 10:15 PM
jaded

baseball sucks

i'm the best mayne, i deed it

June 16, 2009 @ 10:23 PM
Failure Pt.4

btw a very good amount of baseball phenoms never panned out

this aint basketball man....baseball takes so much discipline and fine skill...you can't translate HS to the Pros. Shit, u cant even translate AAA to the Majors. In basketball it's alot easier to look at a very special kid in HS and say "Yup, he'll be great in the NBA." In baseball its simply not like that
June 16, 2009 @ 10:31 PM
thenephilim27

while very true, the probability of him turning into something is higher.

not many kids out of anywhere are called "the next bonds"

In regards to Harper, he's got nothing to prove anymore playing HS varsity baseball

this kid is being mentioned with the likes of the all time great PROSPECTS, Griffey Jr, Rodriguez, and J.Upton. They're saying his skill set is around that level. They were HS seniors and he's a sophmore.

Think if the Nationals end up with Strasburg actually signing and next year having No. 1 again and taking Harper. As a D-Backs fan I can only dream that they refuse to cough on the money and have to pick someone who will take less next year.
June 16, 2009 @ 10:36 PM
Failure Pt.4

you do have a point there....i mean, he's a sophomore and already dominates the highest level he can play. Doing it for 2 more years would be pointless....but i mean....academics come first man
June 16, 2009 @ 10:51 PM
acebanks

yes. he's mashing playing varsity baseball. he's a talent. but he's 16. he gets by on his size alone right now. He's probably playing in a league that is full of Pedroia-sized guys. Baseball is way different than basketball in terms of prospects, and I'm sure LeBron was good enough as a freshman to play in Slovakia.... but there's a purist way to do things that make more sense than dropping out of HS.

For every hype machine, you get your Dan and Dave's and Ryan Leaf's.
June 16, 2009 @ 11:21 PM
cbk

if he seriously thinks that smashin high schoolers makes him too leet to continue on is dumb, at least get a diploma but thts prolly too hard for him
June 16, 2009 @ 11:23 PM
thenephilim27

His growth would be halted against "a league full of Pedroia's".

It's the logical move. Plus he's going to get PAID either way.

You think Strasburg's contract is going to be big? You wait till next year.
June 16, 2009 @ 11:35 PM
acebanks

i agree. get paid when you can. but i think the whole question is, "what line do we draw when it comes to amateur athletics?" NFL you need to be 2 years removed from HS. NBA one year. That was used as a tool to make kids go to college. And those that are the cream of the crop that perform on the college scale and then go pro.

Shit, a kid can go pro selling rocks intstead of HS, now you can go pro handling the rock too without HS.
June 17, 2009 @ 12:44 AM
TStyles

yes. he's mashing playing varsity baseball. he's a talent. but he's 16. he gets by on his size alone right now. He's probably playing in a league that is full of Pedroia-sized guys. Baseball is way different than basketball in terms of prospects, and I'm sure LeBron was good enough as a freshman to play in Slovakia.... but there's a purist way to do things that make more sense than dropping out of HS.

For every hype machine, you get your Dan and Dave's and Ryan Leaf's.

don't think that who he's playing against is contributing too much to what hes doing. The kid can hit the ball 550+ ft. Hitting the ball out of major league ballparks, so yes, he is too far advanced in his skill set to continue playing against high school level competition, but i do agree that dropping out isn't the best way to do things. Summer leagues, etc would be beneficial.
June 17, 2009 @ 12:46 AM
Hunter SUCKS

can't wait for this kid to flop to discourage any other "phenoms" from taking such a stupid course of action.

qft
June 17, 2009 @ 10:41 AM
-TREACHERY-

i dont see the big deal in soccer if your not breaking into a first team rotation by 17-18 your not likely gonna play in any top tier league if hes good enough let him play

if you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing

June 17, 2009 @ 06:18 PM
YCNHOJ

Dumb choice, he's most likely gonna be a bust. Worst thing is what's he gonna do after he flops
June 17, 2009 @ 06:36 PM
Zach

so, uh...what the fuck happened to freddy adu?
June 17, 2009 @ 08:29 PM
jeronimo

kid goes to the HS right down the street from me. i grad. there. he can hit a consistent 500ft, youtube it. shits crazy.
June 17, 2009 @ 09:26 PM
Failure Pt.4

Mark Prior got hurt though....he was a fucking beast. Dude was so much talent and he was just FILTHY

injuries fucked up his career though. He had the talent though and proved it in the majors....his 2003 season was awesome

A lot of other guys never proved they can hang at all
June 17, 2009 @ 10:09 PM
acebanks

I'm A cubs fan, and I fuckin hate Mark Prior. But I can admit, it was a good pick because he was a proven commodity at the college level at USC. I hope the guy pans out. But honestly, what's next though? Getting drafted off your performance at recess? Are these guys going to all end up like child stars? Cue the Diff'rent Strokes music.
June 18, 2009 @ 01:41 AM
idlefool

Well either way, the Nationals will most likely have the 2 most hyped prospects (Strausburgh and Bryce Harper) by this time next year.

This really sucks as a Braves fan...
June 18, 2009 @ 01:50 AM
acebanks

Well either way, the Nationals will most likely have the 2 most hyped prospects (Strausburgh and Bryce Harper) by this time next year.

This really sucks as a Braves fan...

my co-worker who's a braves said the same thing.

Please login first to reply.