Free Worldwide Shipping
Spend $150 USD or more. Click for details.
April 26, 2009 @ 02:49 PM
Popper

yo hypebeast help me with ma science project. so i did a distillation experiment(serperating a solution). i used 3 different solvents: salt, sugar, and splenda. in 10 minutes the salt solution collected the most amount of water(91mL) and the splenda collected the least amount of water(62mL). i started out with 500ml of water if thats any use. HELP ME EXPLAIN WHY SALT COLLECTED MORE WATER THAN SPLENDA!(use particle theory if you can)
April 26, 2009 @ 02:56 PM

^^ what u just posted makes no sense. how is the water collected? when u said 3 solvents, did u mean there was a salt solution, a seperate sugar solution, and a seperate spenlda solution? how much of the solute was started with? how much was the solution started with?
April 26, 2009 @ 02:58 PM
Popper

sorry mayne in a rush, project is due tomorrow. yea there were 3 seperate solutions. we boiled the solution and the water evaporated while the lid was still on. so it condensed back into water and it dripped into a cup we put inside the pot. we started with 500ml of water and 1 tablespoon (15ml) of each solute
April 26, 2009 @ 03:57 PM
IamSean

The boiling point of water will elevate as you dissolve a solute in it, this is a colligative property. You collected more water w/salt because it has the lowest solubility in water and therefore it elevated the boiling point of water the least. You collected more water w/Splenda because it is the most soluble in water and had the greatest effect of elevating boiling point.
April 26, 2009 @ 04:00 PM

not sure what water u used, but if it is not distilled, there are chemicals in our water in the first place like floride, calcium, in small amounts. this probably triggered another reaction of which in your product yielded some salts even in the sugar and splenda trials.

not sure if this helps, but this could give u soem idea.

for sources of error, say the measure of a teaspoon is not 100% accurate, which could in turn cause u too use slightly more suagr and splenda compared to the salt, which cause a higher yield of wtaer in the salt trial compared to the rest.
April 26, 2009 @ 04:54 PM
Popper

thanks to the both of you guys. the information im looking for is basically for the discussion in the lab. if theres any more information anyone can give it would be much appreciated.
April 26, 2009 @ 05:02 PM
SubPrime

yo hypebeast help me with ma science project. so i did a distillation experiment(serperating a solution). i used 3 different solvents: salt, sugar, and splenda. in 10 minutes the salt solution collected the most amount of water(91mL) and the splenda collected the least amount of water(62mL). i started out with 500ml of water if thats any use. HELP ME EXPLAIN WHY SALT COLLECTED MORE WATER THAN SPLENDA!(use particle theory if you can)

[SIZE="5"]First of all you gotta get your shit straight. Salt, sugar, and splenda are SOLUTES and water is the SOLVENT. This is an aqueous solution(aq).

YOUR EXPERIMENT IS BASED ON COLLIGATIVE PROPERTIES. It does not depend on the characteristics of the solute but the NUMBER OF PARTICLES of the solute. As you INCREASE THE NUMBER OF SOLUTES(NUMBER OF PARTICLES) IN AN AQUEOUS SOLUTION YOU LOWER THE VAPOR PRESSURE(RAOULT'S LAW) AND YOU ALSO RAISE THE BOILING POINT AND CHANGE THE FREEZING POINT DEPRESSION.

AS FOR VAPOR PRESSURE, WHEN YOU ADDED SOLUTE, YOU LOWERED THE VAPORIZATION OF THE AQUEOUS SOLUTION COMPARED TO THE ORIGINAL AQUEOUS SOLUTION WITH NO SOLUTE.

THIS IS THE MAIN CONCEPT YOU SHOULD KNOW TO HELP YOU WITH YOUR PROJECT.[/SIZE]
April 26, 2009 @ 05:21 PM
SubPrime

The boiling point of water will elevate as you dissolve a solute in it, this is a colligative property. You collected more water w/salt because it has the lowest solubility in water and therefore it elevated the boiling point of water the least. You collected more water w/Splenda because it is the most soluble in water and had the greatest effect of elevating boiling point.

This niigga sean said it the best

damn u gonna do good on the PS section of the mcat
April 26, 2009 @ 05:26 PM
skaeggska

April 26, 2009 @ 05:28 PM
zeezyo

lol i didnt know there were *****s on HB that knew some science.

high five*

ima need help on my neurobio lab report soon lolz.
ima hit this shit up later.

X

April 26, 2009 @ 05:50 PM
IamSean

This niigga sean said it the best

damn u gonna do good on the PS section of the mcat

LOL the score I got on my first practice test won't even get me into medical school in Trinidad or some shit.
April 26, 2009 @ 06:57 PM
M@rkB.

is kool aid more soluble than salt?
April 26, 2009 @ 11:36 PM
TL

LOL the score I got on my first practice test won't even get me into medical school in Trinidad or some shit.

haha do you actually need the mcat to get into banana schools?
April 27, 2009 @ 04:34 AM
Dorfmeister

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU7t5bVfY4E

the good 'ol days - bill nye needs to do a comeback for us kidults.

Please login first to reply.