April 19, 2009 @ 11:49 PM
DAT CAT

i'm only a junior in HS but i'm planning on either santa cruz or usf XD
April 21, 2009 @ 05:47 PM
dark

my friend got straight a's all through high school and did a bunch of extracurriculars and she still got rejected from uva, uva is nuts
April 21, 2009 @ 07:32 PM
Konglo

i think that the main reason why i got in was because i'm a minority

i do have a 4.3 GPA and do a lot of community service, but still, i know a lot of smart ass white people who got rejected or put on the waitng list, while all the lower ranked asians and a couple of black people got in.

uva is a beast ass school, but it would be money wasted for me because i would still have to get further education at the Art Institute and why do that when i can get all the training i need at AI?
April 21, 2009 @ 08:10 PM
Tyler.Durden

Yeah Tyler has no clue what he's talking about.

UVA is an elite public w/ a 30ish% rate. For a state school, that's pretty damn low.

i know 3 kids that go to that school. they all say that there are a bunch of dumb kids there (although obviously there are plenty of smart people). not saying it's not a good school, it's top 20/25 so obviously it's one of the top ones in the country, and it's especially hard to make it in if you're out of state. there are just a good amount of dumb jocks and people who likely wouldn't make it if the state didn't set aside 66% of the spots for in-state kids.

also just because you get good good HS grades does not make you smart, it could mean a lot of things like your school being easy. and you DEFINITELY don't need straight A's, my 3 of my friends that go to UVA went to elite northeastern private schools and none of them had straight As
April 21, 2009 @ 08:28 PM
Real Talk

i know 3 kids that go to that school. they all say that there are a bunch of dumb kids there (although obviously there are plenty of smart people). not saying it's not a good school, it's top 20/25 so obviously it's one of the top ones in the country, and it's especially hard to make it in if you're out of state. there are just a good amount of dumb jocks and people who likely wouldn't make it if the state didn't set aside 66% of the spots for in-state kids.

also just because you get good good HS grades does not make you smart, it could mean a lot of things like your school being easy. and you DEFINITELY don't need straight A's, my 3 of my friends that go to UVA went to elite northeastern private schools and none of them had straight As

Real talk, there are dumb jocks in everyone school. Do you realize the percentage of atheletes to normal students? Minimal. The average gpa for in-state is like a 3.9ish unweighted so that pretty much ends your argument about dumb ppl. getting in.

Your friends might not have had straight A's but they had pretty damn near close or connections. In Va, UVA selects from the top 3-5 students in your school depending on how difficult your school is, and how large.

Noone is saying you need straight As, Just you need pretty damn close to it. UVA rivals Ivy schools and any other top schools in America.

Saying otherwise is stupid.
April 22, 2009 @ 09:30 AM
babyshoe

Real talk, saying real talk at the beginning of every single one of your posts make you seem as gangster as rick ross, real talk.

And I agree with what others are saying. You don't need straight A's to get into UVA or even ivy league schools depending on where you went to high school. I went to an elitist high school(100% of the student population went to a school in the top 50 and my parents were paying almost 20k a year for tuition) and most of my friends that went to Ivies didn't have 4.0s. State schools are a joke, Penn state is what, 46th nationally but its basically a community college for kids in Pennsylvania. You get over a C average and some ridiculously low sat score and you're in. Granted they have really low retention rates but that is another story. You don't need to be smart to get into a relatively good school.
April 22, 2009 @ 09:32 AM
dark

you mean you don't need to be smart to get into a state school, you pretty much need to be smart to get into a good private university or college

edit: and those kids got into good schools from your high school because of the reputation your high school built
April 22, 2009 @ 10:44 AM
gbusy17

George Washington University. Im excited for dc
April 22, 2009 @ 10:46 AM
stratusfire

Currently in Dartmouth. Daddy is mad cause he doesn't want to shell out money for my education unless I go to Yale. Toodles though, off to croquet.
April 22, 2009 @ 01:22 PM
D0PE

Marshall University in August.
April 22, 2009 @ 01:38 PM
Bill B.

Real talk, saying real talk at the beginning of every single one of your posts make you seem as gangster as rick ross, real talk.

And I agree with what others are saying. You don't need straight A's to get into UVA or even ivy league schools depending on where you went to high school. I went to an elitist high school(100% of the student population went to a school in the top 50 and my parents were paying almost 20k a year for tuition) and most of my friends that went to Ivies didn't have 4.0s. State schools are a joke, Penn state is what, 46th nationally but its basically a community college for kids in Pennsylvania. You get over a C average and some ridiculously low sat score and you're in. Granted they have really low retention rates but that is another story. You don't need to be smart to get into a relatively good school.

Real talk yo, I feels you, real talk.

Your right which sucks. I have a 3.5 and dope assessment scores but my high school has a 15-20% dropout rate and is the bud of all jokes so fuckers stay criticizing. Fuck it, PSU here I come.
April 28, 2009 @ 10:59 PM
chemist.

queens university!

http://trillosopher.tumblr.com

April 29, 2009 @ 01:29 AM
pfortades

Either LMU or Fordham

LMU most likely, only because they have the second hottest girls in the U.S behind U of A according to MAXIM mag. Just kidding, I'm still comparing and contrasting. See you at LMU if I go.

http://www.pfotography.tumblr.com

April 29, 2009 @ 04:08 PM
<KickaPop>

Wrong. UVA stats. Your talking to the wrong boat with your high school logic. The area where I live has more elite state schools and private than any other place combined. These state schools are especially more competitive and state colleges to be exact only take a certain amount of students from each region so your logic is off.

Test scores SAT verbal scores over 500 96%, SAT math scores over 500 99%, ACT scores over 18 98%, SAT verbal scores over 600 79%, SAT math scores over 600 85%, ACT scores over 24 87%, SAT verbal scores over 700 31%, SAT math scores over 700 40%, ACT scores over 30 36%

MOST people that go to UVA have 4.0 GPAs and over 1300 average SATs scores. thats a fact.
April 29, 2009 @ 04:14 PM
mr.orange

not really sure, if i stay in the UK it'll be cambridge (if i get the grades then fuck yes), oxford (same) or durham. might move over to the US for university, hopefully to an ivy league, preferably penn probably.
April 29, 2009 @ 04:26 PM
SubPrime

honestly undergrad doesn't matter, grad school matters

bust your ass off in undergrad and you can get in a top grad school, for engineering, law, medicine, or business

your grades in undergrad matter.

This is why going to a state school for undergrad IS A SMART DECISION, it is easier to get better grades there than a top school. A 3.8 and 34 MCAT from Penn State is gonna get you into like University of washington's medical school while a 3.2 and a 30 MCAT from Harvard won't.
April 29, 2009 @ 04:30 PM
zzzboy

^^^ true. gpa is most important IMO...you should go to the school where you think youll do well. however, there is no denying that better schools have better opportunities. im still amazed at all the opportunities i have here at ucla...anyone can get research in a heartbeat.

if you can do well at a good school, then shit you set.
April 29, 2009 @ 04:34 PM
<KickaPop>

id have to disagree. the strength of a school comes into play and the major you pick. the score you get on the certain test, MCAT, GMAT, LSAT,etc. are the most important factor to grad. schools.
April 29, 2009 @ 04:35 PM
Konglo

so i did get accepted into the art instiute of washington, but price is way too expensive... $20,000 coming out of pocket every year.

i'll be going to va tech, since i'm only liable for a few hundred dollars per year out of pocket. and their pamplin business college (getting my bachelor's in tourism and hospitality management) is ranked in the top 5% in the nation.
April 29, 2009 @ 04:37 PM
SubPrime

i agree Kick, but when it comes down to pencil and paper, the curriculum or the material is going to be the same.

The same formulas, theory, and concepts are going to be taught in both school. In college the bulk of the grade is from tests themselves. Higher universities tend to make Tests harder, while lower tiers make the tests 'at a high school level'.

I tend to be biased because i grad from a tier 1 school and my gpa is lower than my peers who went to state schools

However, it is my fault
April 29, 2009 @ 04:46 PM
<KickaPop>

i agree Kick, but when it comes down to pencil and paper, the curriculum or the material is going to be the same.

The same formulas, theory, and concepts are going to be taught in both school. In college the bulk of the grade is from tests themselves. Higher universities tend to make Tests harder, while lower tiers make the tests 'at a high school level'.

I tend to be biased because i grad from a tier 1 school and my gpa is lower than my peers who went to state schools

However, it is my fault

this isnt entirely true. it depends on the prof. but yes, more elite schools go through information at a quicker and more in-depth pace and more is expected out of you.

Also, getting into a grad. program is like getting a job. They also want ppl. with experience in their desired field so it pertains to the person to a greater degree. Heck, in the real world, noone cares where you go to grad or undergraduate.
April 29, 2009 @ 04:48 PM
riceispro

id have to disagree. the strength of a school comes into play and the major you pick. the score you get on the certain test, MCAT, GMAT, LSAT,etc. are the most important factor to grad. schools.

depends on the school, boalt is notorious for being much more GPA-centric than other law schools in the t14
April 29, 2009 @ 04:50 PM
<KickaPop>

^ offcourse you have to meet the average norm gpa stats, but a 170+ LSAT aint gonna get denied for the most part.
April 29, 2009 @ 04:52 PM
riceispro

^ offcourse you have to meet the average norm gpa stats, but a 170+ LSAT aint gonna get denied for the most part.

it did for me sad
April 29, 2009 @ 05:03 PM
<KickaPop>

^ well i hope you get a merit scholarship cuz law school costs mad guap. also, most people who are corporate lawyers hate their jobs.
April 29, 2009 @ 05:04 PM
riceispro

got 66k :]

and yeah, i know ill hate my job, but i wont hate the money
April 29, 2009 @ 05:08 PM
Kickawho?

^ well i hope you get a merit scholarship cuz law school costs mad guap. also, most people who are corporate lawyers hate their jobs.

Yeah mad twat.

If you hate your job, it won't matter how much money you are making.

You will be depressed, and kill yourself.

If you marry a woman, she will cheat on you.

If you have a child it will be a coke head by the age of 12.

All this will happen if you become a lawyer.
April 29, 2009 @ 05:09 PM
<KickaPop>

got 66k :]

and yeah, i know ill hate my job, but i wont hate the money

lol, you will when ur working 60-80 hours a week.
April 29, 2009 @ 05:26 PM
zzzboy

thats why you raise a family so you have something worth the stress.
May 6, 2009 @ 11:45 AM
Phoenix_0217

Got into UIUC for fall. Gonna play me some lax

Please login first to reply.