Free Worldwide Shipping
Spend $150 USD or more. Click for details.
March 22, 2009 @ 11:43 PM
WojieWorldPeace

I'm currently being forced into studying Finance/Accounting in college.

About to enter college this coming September. Still shaky on what I want to do, but my main interests are working in foreign countries (knowing different languages) and doing business with that.

I'm assuming that's International Business, but you can't really major in that, can you?

Become fluent in a foreign Language (Spanish/mandarin would be good ones) and there are international business classes that are available.

Buffalo Bills till I die.

March 22, 2009 @ 11:44 PM
Mr Hypebeast

I want to play in the NBA.
March 22, 2009 @ 11:45 PM
KevinsThatDude

I'm in 11th grad, working hard to go to a good UC. From there I'm going to major in Bio and hopefully get into a good med school.
March 22, 2009 @ 11:45 PM
pnsho

Become fluent in a foreign Language (Spanish/mandarin would be good ones) and there are international business classes that are available.

I'm 70% there in Spanish, wanna take Chinese in college.

Honestly, the only reason why I'm going the business route is because the parentals. I'm basically living out their aspirations.
March 22, 2009 @ 11:46 PM
Cairo

Honestly, the only reason why I'm going the business route is because the parentals. I'm basically living out their aspirations.

I hear you
March 22, 2009 @ 11:48 PM
LiquidSwords

Just tell your parents whats up. Is it a money issue? You would do fine with a business degree
March 22, 2009 @ 11:48 PM
riceispro

ditto. research statistics all you want, but at the end of the day, it all depends on the person and what they do to make themselves competitive out there. i have friends that graduated from top UC schools and what are they doing now? Fucking working retail or making a salary that does not fall anywhere in the range of given statistics.

they had the mindset where they thought they could "make it" in the "real word" just because of their prestigious school, and never bothered with internships or relevant work experience. boy were they wrong.

what employers seek in potential employees (yes, by rank)

1. degree & relevant experience
2. relevant experience
3. degree

/rant

a lot of what you say is true for undergrad, but with law school its not the same case.

in most law schools, name recognition can get you placement at a firm by itself, given that a lot of top schools dont even have a grading system.

if you're working retail with a J.D. from a t14, you did something seriously wrong.

My father's good friend who I talk to occassionally through business ventures owns his own Marketing firm. He told me pretty much if anyone ever came into his office for an interview and basically waved around his big time degree from a top school he'd show em the door pretty much immediately.

that's pretty cool, but it really doesn't work that way with a lot of vault 100 firms and what not.

"big time degrees", at least with regards to professional degrees, are pretty relevant distinguishing factors for hiring at a lot of places.
March 22, 2009 @ 11:51 PM
saurier

I will work as hard as I can, and then fail. I will realize that the best I can do, is not good enough. I will work a low-paying job, marry a woman because I got her pregnant, and realize that the best years of my life are never going to happen.

shoot for the stars

http://saurierco.com ///////////////////// Molosser Rex

March 22, 2009 @ 11:54 PM
DAT CAT

I'm 16 in high school and I don't know what I want to do.

My mom wants me to do business but I find it boring.

My rational side wants to become a teacher.

My true but unrational side wants to major in philosophy and move to Australia/Italy/Mexico/etc. and work doing a simple 9-5 on the coast just being happy. Pay may be a minimum but it intrigues to me to leave the U.S. behind. And Philosophy is the only topic I have interest in. There is no future in it but I love it.

hey dude, are we twins or someshit?

Allot of smart people on HB. Keep doing what you're doing guys.

am i one of them? <3
Cairo

I will work as hard as I can, and then fail. I will realize that the best I can do, is not good enough. I will work a low-paying job, marry a woman because I got her pregnant, and realize that the best years of my life are never going to happen.

shoot for the stars

sadsad
brynw

shoot for the stars

thats some real talk
March 22, 2009 @ 11:55 PM

Inactive

hey dude, are we twins or someshit?

am i one of them? <3

no faggot

you thought u where getting a jk? its still no faggot

ok jk
March 22, 2009 @ 11:57 PM
DAT CAT

no faggot

you thought u where getting a jk? its still no faggot

ok jk

you know me so well. another plan of mine is to become black and move to houston and become a lawyer like my father O_O smile
March 23, 2009 @ 12:09 AM
Cairo

you know what? fuck it.

I'm gonna do my thing. Reading sauriers post both scared and energized me. I can't think of anything I want less in the world than falling into that life. fuck my step dad, fuck my mom, and fuck this business degree.

I'm going to make it in the music industry or die trying.
March 23, 2009 @ 12:11 AM
saurier

you're welcome

http://saurierco.com ///////////////////// Molosser Rex

March 23, 2009 @ 12:16 AM
hypoh

graduating in may. can't find an entry-level job. senioritis kicking in and schoolwork is raping me. fml.

20% OFF KARMALOOP WITH REP CODE AE17358 | KARMALOOPCOUPONS.COM | PLNDRCODES.COM

March 23, 2009 @ 01:05 AM
modernART

a lot of what you say is true for undergrad, but with law school its not the same case.

in most law schools, name recognition can get you placement at a firm by itself, given that a lot of top schools dont even have a grading system.

if you're working retail with a J.D. from a t14, you did something seriously wrong.

yeah, i was essentially speaking from an undergrad POV. there are always exceptions, including, law school, pharm/med school, mba, etc.
March 25, 2009 @ 10:28 AM
pnsho

Just tell your parents whats up. Is it a money issue? You would do fine with a business degree

Isn't it always a money issue? Isn't that what the 'dream life' really is?

And a business degree wouldn't help, especially if after 4 years, this shit is not turning around.
March 25, 2009 @ 11:01 AM
bouillabaisse

Currently a freshmen at the George Washington University, undeclared at the moment. However I have to meet with my advisor tomorrow and I fully intend on declaring a Psychology major because truthfully that is the only thing that interests me. At the end of the day making excessive amounts of money would be tight and I believe that I do have that potential majoring in psych (at least if I take the initiative to become a psychiatrist, but that would require med school) but I will be content with a less than spectacular yearly salary, all I want to do is live comfortably and provide a nice life for my family other than that I don't particularly care.
March 25, 2009 @ 11:12 AM
LiquidSwords

And a business degree wouldn't help, especially if after 4 years, this shit is not turning around.

I don't really think a finance degree would do you much good in the current state of the economy either. It's all about what you want to do long term, and the economy has to turn around at some point.... it does doesn't it? lol
March 25, 2009 @ 12:20 PM
Clothes_addict

not sure if that was directed at me or not, but what's the point on lying over the internets?

oh well *shrug* how's the tyson shirt treating you btw

Wasn't directed at you. Haha the Tyson is fine.
March 25, 2009 @ 01:06 PM
HEIST.

Dunno about you guys, but I feel that I'm just in the career I'm in because it's vaguely around the career I wanted to take....
Just didn't have that much money to go to art school since it's so rape.
Starting the lose the passion the more I stay in the career I'm currently in.
Anyone relate? sad
March 25, 2009 @ 01:13 PM
TL

also i hate the pre-med community, i studied with some during undergrad and they all got in the first time of applying. I had to apply 2 times to get in. You find out their true nature and they didn't want to keep in contact with 'the guy who applied 2 times'. Fuck pre-meds. A lot of fucking pre-meds are anal as fuck, and back stabbing as fuck. You are competing with a whole of *****s to matriculate. So fuck them. i can't even hang out with *****s who are in the pre-health professsion cause i got this vendetta.

this is true, although there are a few chill premeds
March 25, 2009 @ 01:45 PM
minimalist.

Sounds like most people are majoring in business or medicine...

Anybody in other fields? Anybody majoring in Computer Science?
March 25, 2009 @ 01:53 PM

Inactive

I'm just getting by, passing every class. When I mature, I got to take some detours, but right now all I want to do is art.. It sure is a fucked up situation, my fathers a laywer, and everybody in my family got great jobs..I definitely got possess abilities, but I just aren't motivated, and I look at the world differently than everybody else..
March 25, 2009 @ 01:54 PM
IzzyfBOC

on some real shit, if your doing a certain course or degree just cause you read some stats that say your gonna make like 80-100k, you need to off yourself, cuz most employers need atleast 3-5 years experience from you in the position you are applying for and internships dont fall on peoples laps. All i can tell yall niggs is do what you love fuck the money, cuz right now, the money or the jobs aint here due to the economy so i dont know y ppl on here are getting gased up about stats they read or seeing their neighbor drivin the new s-class not knowin his ass is in a shitload of debt in car loans,and mortgage bills. Im currently goin to a 2 year college to get my A.A for IT then i will get my A+ Cert afterwards, i can even use that to my advantage and start my own damn business. so fuck what you see the next guying doin or what he says, do what you will be comfortable doing for the rest of your life, and not feeling sorry for yourself when you fuckking clock in sitting from 9-5 40hrs+ a week. worrying bout your shit for brains supervisor breathing down your neck.

and for your info, my moms a doctor, so all you ppl doin or expecting to get into the medical field your in for a rough ride, and when you make that 90k a year like she does, expect to owe the goverment a shitload of backtaxes and expect not to get nothin back on ur tax returns if you dont have any dependants

/rant

www.billionsofcurrency.com/boc

March 25, 2009 @ 01:56 PM
damnwitless2

suspended

And all the people tried to talk shit when I made that thread about moving to LA. I'm still going. Fuck all that college shit. I'm going to spend next year in Los Angeles, making music, shooting my friend skating who's trying to turn pro, writing my TV show, doing stand-up comedy, and whatever else happens to inspire me at the time. If, at the end of next year nothing caught, I'ma go to Howard and major in Communications and more likely than not do the same thing in New York after I graduate. The difference between dreams and reality is your willingness to go after it yo, real talk.

All I do is smoke weed, blow lines, and listen to MF DOOM. And rap. http://www.facebook.com/SpacemanNYC

March 25, 2009 @ 01:58 PM

Inactive

I'm just getting by, passing every class. When I mature, I got to take some detours, but right now all I want to do is art.. It sure is a fucked up situation, my fathers a laywer, and everybody in my family got great jobs..I definitely got possess abilities, but I'm just not motivated, and I look at the world differently than everybody else..
March 25, 2009 @ 02:00 PM
blunt_trauma

failing thinking about how imma pay off my loans...
March 25, 2009 @ 02:12 PM
IzzyfBOC

failing thinking about how imma pay off my loans...

start knocking over banks atleast you got a good reason for doin it...

THE RECESSION LOLsuprised

www.billionsofcurrency.com/boc

Please login first to reply.