Get an Extra 20% Off Sale Items - Use code: EXTRA20
March 22, 2009 @ 09:43 PM
Clothes_addict

no he only thinks he is.
March 22, 2009 @ 09:51 PM
mixtape_03

really hoping i can make avg-decent money. .

@ a UC trying to do bus. admin. .

but i'm not too sure as to what types of jobs etc would be available for me or what i'd be doing with a bachelor's in this.
March 22, 2009 @ 09:56 PM
Eaton

junior in hs, trying to get into some gay ass suny school so i can get a job im gonna be miserable at. sounds like fun

http://mattbiggavel.tumblr.com/ http://twitter.com/#!/mattchv SUPREME FS LARGE ITEMS http://hypebeast.com/forums/apparel/168404/

March 22, 2009 @ 09:57 PM
SubPrime

freakachu is the realest ***** in this thread. He is being realistic and not spewing out "salary numbers" like others who haven't even been hired or least completed a degree.

SubPrime you know I like you cause you talk so much shit but you intrigue me, how do you feel about future career?

I talk so much shit in this thread because i'm trying to prepare real *****s for the real world. There will be lots of dissapointed.

To answer your question I just grad from college last april, and i'm starting medical school in august in this school in the midwest.

That's why I can say shit when it comes to shit like medicine.

SHIT Is fucking hard. And i haven't even started med school yet. I got rejected 1 time and I thought i was going to kill myself. You spend 4 years trying to prepare to try get into medical school and when you don't everything collapses. I sucked so much dick trying to get publications to put on my resume so that admissions would like me.

Believe me getting into medical school is harder then matriculating into Harvard. Most m.d and d.o schools accept 100-150 students out of 4,000+ applicants.

And it's not like i'm going to attend Johns Hopkins or University of Washington st. louis school of medicine, I applied to 20+ med schools and got accepted to a podunk one, even though my undergrad was ranked top 3 public. So shit was fucked up, but whatever.

I'm just saying PREPARE to get let down. THERE is so much shit in life that will be a dissapointment. Not just academics, relationships and shit.

Do not do medicine if your first thought is "oh shit imma be a doctor, look at all this money imma have and the respect from my family friends n community"

FUCK YOu if you have that mindset. you will never make it out alive if that's your only motivation.

also i hate the pre-med community, i studied with some during undergrad and they all got in the first time of applying. I had to apply 2 times to get in. You find out their true nature and they didn't want to keep in contact with 'the guy who applied 2 times'. Fuck pre-meds. A lot of fucking pre-meds are anal as fuck, and back stabbing as fuck. You are competing with a whole of *****s to matriculate. So fuck them. i can't even hang out with *****s who are in the pre-health professsion cause i got this vendetta.
March 22, 2009 @ 10:01 PM

Inactive

Shit is hard and there's being realistic and then theres being an ass hole. People can reach high if they wish, more times then not you end up tempering expectations down but some people do achieve their goals and there's nothing wrong with getting in the mindset to reach your plateau. Dont kill peoples dreams because you have become jaded.
March 22, 2009 @ 10:02 PM
Mobb Deep

do not do medicine if your first thought is "oh shit imma be a doctor, look at all this money imma have and the respect from my family friends n community"

cool
March 22, 2009 @ 10:02 PM
WojieWorldPeace

For real I'm with freak...call me crazy but I'm A OK making 40-50k a year and I can live extra comfy with that...my bro lives in an overpriced apt in Cali and is literally paying about 1k a month but he lives fine, and does anything he wants. cool

I may buy excessive amounts of clothing...however I can be a low budget mother fucker if I wanna be.

Buffalo Bills till I die.

March 22, 2009 @ 10:04 PM
Guapamole

Good luck in med school subprime that shit is hard. Future job?
March 22, 2009 @ 10:17 PM
riceispro

median public/private entry salaries

6 Columbia University NY $55,000 $145,000
20 U. of Chicago IL $53,000 $135,000
March 22, 2009 @ 10:18 PM
WojieWorldPeace

median public/private entry salaries

6 Columbia University NY $55,000 $145,000
20 U. of Chicago IL $53,000 $135,000

Shit doesn't matter when will people realize this?

March 22, 2009 @ 10:20 PM
Bill B.

I'm 16 in high school and I don't know what I want to do.

My mom wants me to do business but I find it boring.

My rational side wants to become a teacher.

My true but unrational side wants to major in philosophy and move to Australia/Italy/Mexico/etc. and work doing a simple 9-5 on the coast just being happy. Pay may be a minimum but it intrigues to me to leave the U.S. behind. And Philosophy is the only topic I have interest in. There is no future in it but I love it.
March 22, 2009 @ 10:25 PM
Studio Red

no he only thinks he is.

not sure if that was directed at me or not, but what's the point on lying over the internets?

oh well *shrug* how's the tyson shirt treating you btw
March 22, 2009 @ 10:35 PM
sargasm

Graduating high school this year, probably gonna go to Oregon to study journalism. Ideally would go to a j-grad school like Berkeley or Columbia (hella, hella hard, but that's the ultimate goal) since everything is survival of the fittest/dog eat dog/every man for himself. Later on maybe progress into a head editing position later on in life.

If not journalism, then either sociology or urban planning and work for a think tank or a city. Not even gonna discuss salaries because it's so unpredictable at this point. Hopefully this all results in happiness and success.
March 22, 2009 @ 10:37 PM
sargasm

Graduating high school this year, probably gonna go to Oregon to study journalism. Ideally would go to a j-grad school like Berkeley or Columbia (hella, hella hard, but that's the ultimate goal) since everything is survival of the fittest/dog eat dog/every man for himself. Later on maybe progress into a head editing position, who really knows though.

If not journalism, then either sociology or urban planning and work for a think tank or a city. Not even gonna discuss salaries because it's so unpredictable at this point. Hopefully this all results in happiness and success.
March 22, 2009 @ 10:48 PM
Cairo

freakachu is the realest ***** in this thread. He is being realistic and not spewing out "salary numbers" like others who haven't even been hired or least completed a degree.

I talk so much shit in this thread because i'm trying to prepare real *****s for the real world. There will be lots of dissapointed.

To answer your question I just grad from college last april, and i'm starting medical school in august in this school in the midwest.

That's why I can say shit when it comes to shit like medicine.

SHIT Is fucking hard. And i haven't even started med school yet. I got rejected 1 time and I thought i was going to kill myself. You spend 4 years trying to prepare to try get into medical school and when you don't everything collapses. I sucked so much dick trying to get publications to put on my resume so that admissions would like me.

Believe me getting into medical school is harder then matriculating into Harvard. Most m.d and d.o schools accept 100-150 students out of 4,000+ applicants.

And it's not like i'm going to attend Johns Hopkins or University of Washington st. louis school of medicine, I applied to 20+ med schools and got accepted to a podunk one, even though my undergrad was ranked top 3 public. So shit was fucked up, but whatever.

I'm just saying PREPARE to get let down. THERE is so much shit in life that will be a dissapointment. Not just academics, relationships and shit.

Do not do medicine if your first thought is "oh shit imma be a doctor, look at all this money imma have and the respect from my family friends n community"

FUCK YOu if you have that mindset. you will never make it out alive if that's your only motivation.

also i hate the pre-med community, i studied with some during undergrad and they all got in the first time of applying. I had to apply 2 times to get in. You find out their true nature and they didn't want to keep in contact with 'the guy who applied 2 times'. Fuck pre-meds. A lot of fucking pre-meds are anal as fuck, and back stabbing as fuck. You are competing with a whole of *****s to matriculate. So fuck them. i can't even hang out with *****s who are in the pre-health professsion cause i got this vendetta.

I'm sorry that you're so jaded and pessimistic. Seriously.
March 22, 2009 @ 11:04 PM
Chewbakka

something along the lines of art. I hope.
March 22, 2009 @ 11:07 PM
Cairo

As long as I got enough money to live a decent life I'm all good. I grew up in a very wealthy environment, but if I made like 50-60k with potential for rising in a company I'd be all good. I just have no idea what to do.
March 22, 2009 @ 11:16 PM
DaTruth1

Just had my medical school interview this weekend
March 22, 2009 @ 11:17 PM

Inactive

Allot of smart people on HB. Keep doing what you're doing guys.
March 22, 2009 @ 11:27 PM
Soul Kitchen

this whole, work your entire life in a boring ass office building mindset that america has put on the past few generations is ridiculous.. the job market is fucked right now

there are so many more options that what they show you in high school
March 22, 2009 @ 11:29 PM

Inactive

So why dont you share your insights Che Guevara
March 22, 2009 @ 11:30 PM
modernART

Shit doesn't matter when will people realize this?

ditto. research statistics all you want, but at the end of the day, it all depends on the person and what they do to make themselves competitive out there. i have friends that graduated from top UC schools and what are they doing now? Fucking working retail or making a salary that does not fall anywhere in the range of given statistics.

they had the mindset where they thought they could "make it" in the "real word" just because of their prestigious school, and never bothered with internships or relevant work experience. boy were they wrong.

what employers seek in potential employees (yes, by rank)

1. degree & relevant experience
2. relevant experience
3. degree

/rant
March 22, 2009 @ 11:33 PM
Soul Kitchen

haha, i would.. but i have no idea where im going to wind up. i have no idea what i want to major in, something creative though. i graduate high school in 2 months
March 22, 2009 @ 11:33 PM
WojieWorldPeace

My father's good friend who I talk to occassionally through business ventures owns his own Marketing firm. He told me pretty much if anyone ever came into his office for an interview and basically waved around his big time degree from a top school he'd show em the door pretty much immediately.

March 22, 2009 @ 11:34 PM
WojieWorldPeace

haha, i would.. but i have no idea where im going to wind up. i have no idea what i want to major in, something creative though. i graduate high school in 2 months

So you are basing your previous post on what? Movies?

March 22, 2009 @ 11:35 PM
modernART

there are so many more options that what they show you in high school

what i hated about high school was that teachers and advisers taught your brain, or rather, programmed your brain to think traditionally (well at least the high school i went to).

My father's good friend who I talk to occassionally through business ventures owns his own Marketing firm. He told me pretty much if anyone ever came into his office for an interview and basically waved around his big time degree from a top school he'd show em the door pretty much immediately.

right on. that's exactly how it should be done.
March 22, 2009 @ 11:37 PM
modernART

right on. that's exactly how it should be done.
March 22, 2009 @ 11:38 PM
pnsho

I'm currently being forced into studying Finance/Accounting in college.

About to enter college this coming September. Still shaky on what I want to do, but my main interests are working in foreign countries (knowing different languages) and doing business with that.

I'm assuming that's International Business, but you can't really major in that, can you?
March 22, 2009 @ 11:41 PM
Cairo

Well what else is out there?

I was basically raised since middle school to go get a my Business degree then come work for my step dad. that's been the plan ever since my gold digging mom married him. Straight up I'd rather take a bullet than do that, even though I would make great money. I know it sounds terrible, but I really don't like my parents, and living the same life they do in this pretentious little town would make me miserable.

I just don't know what to do.
March 22, 2009 @ 11:41 PM
Soul Kitchen

So you are basing your previous post on what? Movies?

base what? do i need a citation for the statement that the job market is fucked? it is, there has been so many layoffs in 2008 and the beginning of 2009

and its true, you cant believe everything they tell you in high school. you can live a happy life without striving for ultimate success and working 10 hour work days with minimal vacation until retirement.

Well what else is out there?

I was basically raised since middle school to go get a my Business degree then come work for my step dad. that's been the plan ever since my gold digging mom married him. Straight up I'd rather take a bullet than do that, even though I would make great money. I know it sounds terrible, but I really don't like my parents, and living the same life they do in this pretentious little town would make me miserable.

I just don't know what to do.

you live in san jose im guessing?

Please login first to reply.