Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
March 29, 2011 @ 02:09 PM
Deadlock

working/Going to school part time taking random business courses. Who knows what the fuck I am going to do. I'm already 21, pretty much too late to do anything worth while with my life. im probably just going to kill myself in a few years anyways.razz
March 29, 2011 @ 02:21 PM
Brian@ONLY

I'm fairly satisfied with my current career. I'm a Snr. Business Analyst for a Fortune500 Publishing Company. I've worked with a few small business enterprises consulting as a larger part of my Six Sigma Black Belt Certification (Lean Six Sigma Green Belt and Design by Six Sigma Black Belt). I'm in my 6th year with a bright future ahead, hoping to move from Print Publishing to Glossy (magazine world) where the digital initiatives need to be bridged to print content to forge new business relationships.
March 29, 2011 @ 08:46 PM
buckmouth

right now ima sophomore in college working on my double major for biology and english. then medical school for biomedical engineering. long ass road before i even start my career, but hey, im in no hurry. i love being in school and learning new things. its funny a 3.75 gpa isnt as impressive as it used to be

im not gonna fall into the mold of the average middle class american that busts their ass day to day in a job they hate, worrying about how to pay the mortgage, feed their kids, AND try to save up for retirement... thats the reason the world is the way it is. too much time worrying about yourself that you dont have a second to spare to help others.
March 29, 2011 @ 09:58 PM
J THRILLLAH

I'm a 25 year old line cook. Been in the restaurant business for almost five years. (I've done every job except serving.) Finally started culinary school this year. (Well, community college.) Luckily all my credits from previous colleges and universities transferred. Almost went to those fancy art schools, but we get the same degree, except I won't be in debt after graduation. Financial aid covered me, and gave me a little extra. I've had a good amount of cooking experience, while some of my classmates have never worked in the kitchen before. Plus, I've worked with people that are currently attending brand name schools and they suck in the kitchen and have gotten fired. I'm already networking with people I personally know in other kitchens in other cities, keeping my options open. Would love to go back to NYC and work there at a restaurant, have my own catering company, and even have a food truck. It's great being able to cook something and see people eat it up and enjoy it. I love doing what I do, constantly learning and it's quite competitive as well! I would love to travel everywhere and learn their style of cooking, but I gotta crawl before I walk.

To all the young cats out there, stay focused, don't waste your time in college if you're not even interested in the major you're taking.

March 30, 2011 @ 12:42 AM
DaTruth1

It's hard to know until you've completed the USMLE Step 1 exam. You're score on that has a pretty big effect on residency matching.

Fields like Dermatology, Orthopaedic Surgery, Radiology, and Plastic Surgery have residency applicants with very high scores on their Step 1 and Step 2 exams. Those are the big money fields, and highly competitive as a result.

Cool, I don't know too much about accreditation in American medical schools since I am up in Canada, but I can renew my US citizenship (I was born in NY but moved to Canada at a young age) so I am not ruling out US residency options.
March 30, 2011 @ 12:48 AM
northwest

I feel kinda shitty right now, seeing the financial aid packages some schools have offered me so far. so far the package to my second choice school is pretty shitty. im still waiting on the package from my first choice school. idk, im just hoping its a decent package so i can actually graduate w/o a ton of debt...
March 30, 2011 @ 01:40 AM
jaded

Cool, I don't know too much about accreditation in American medical schools since I am up in Canada, but I can renew my US citizenship (I was born in NY but moved to Canada at a young age) so I am not ruling out US residency options.

I'm pretty sure as long as you take and pass certain exams required by the US, you can be matched for a residency in the US. I don't know the exact details, but I know that's how it works for US residents who go to foreign medical schools (like schools in the caribbean), so I'd imagine it's the same for people who go to school in Canada.

i'm the best mayne, i deed it

March 30, 2011 @ 02:15 AM
GP La Flare

March 30, 2011 @ 03:03 AM
Seanskeet

Never was big on school and now am feeling the effects later in life. Making a good living, but would be even better with that degree in my resume. All in all it's goin great, but seriously giving thoughts of going back to school and earning a degree with this career at hand in the biotech industry.
April 1, 2011 @ 07:31 PM
ando ELSV

Idkwtf im doing with my life.
April 1, 2011 @ 11:22 PM
modernmischief

Air Force right now,ill prolly do my four years and go back to school and get my Masters in psychology eventually
April 2, 2011 @ 12:48 AM
dahveed

Jet engine mechanic in the air force. Hate it so much. I don't know what I truly want to do in life. Joining the military on a impulse is kinda a bad life decision bros. LOL
April 2, 2011 @ 01:35 AM
KDL323

Thought about nursing but I don't see myself helping people in that way, so I switched over to business.
April 2, 2011 @ 02:13 AM
northwest

pretty sure i know where im going to go to college for undergrad. got a good financial aid package, feelin swag as fuck. and i know that HS grades officially dont matter anymore. cool cause mine were shit
April 2, 2011 @ 02:30 AM
iggy-koopa

thinking about the 4+1 program at cal poly slo

BS in Computer Engineering and MS in Computer Science

idk, still gotta do my research
April 3, 2011 @ 06:10 PM
CaliforniaKid

What did you major in?

Communication and Culture, but your major doesn't matter at all. I could've majored in Mathematics. It's all about who you know.
April 3, 2011 @ 06:11 PM
CaliforniaKid

grats. Hope you have a good network since everyone else will too!

cool
April 4, 2011 @ 01:44 PM
jaded

Semi-Struggling with my science curriculum at university as a Bio major (i hate it) just so I can hopefully go to Pharmacy school and then become a retail pharmacist at your local drugstore handing your meds and making a six figure salary like my dad and then end up being bored every fucking day........so I'm going to need to find a hobby when I'm older to keep myself sane

Why didn't you major in chem?

i'm the best mayne, i deed it

April 5, 2011 @ 06:32 PM
KDL323

I could really use some help on this guys, it's been bugging me for awhile now.

I've been at a community college for about almost 2 years. I was taking prerequisite's for the Nursing program, but when it came to the Science classes, I came to the conclusion that Nursing really isn't for me. I wouldn't want to be wasting time and money into a course that I wasn't interested in. I made the decision to switch over to Business. But now I'm stuck in a position because I'm not sure if I should get my Associates at a Community College or transfer over to a Private College? As many of you know, school really isn't for everyone, that's why I'm only settling for a Associates as of right now, but things may change later on in the future.

If I stay at a community college, I would need to take a lot of unnecessary classes for GE's, along with the business classes that are directed towards my major which would take about another 2 or 3 years because of how hard it is to get classes and all the budget cuts. My school is cutting classes and possibly taking out the summer and winter classes.

If I go to a private college, the only requirement is to pass the entrance exam. The program is 9 months with 10 subjects, all directed towards Business, so no need to take unnecessary classes. Its basically 1 subject a month, with one month containing 2 subjects. I'll be out in 9 months and I could start working or work on transferring to get a Bachelors.

What do you guys would be the best decision?
April 5, 2011 @ 07:11 PM
@abgohard1

i do this
April 5, 2011 @ 08:14 PM
notyellow

Just getting my bachelors in compsci. No plans for grad school as of yet.
April 6, 2011 @ 04:06 PM
hndlz

I dislike the first econ classes with a fucking passion. I got a 2.1, no idea why so bad but whatever, and that class is still haunting my gpa. I would have a 3.75 without it on there.

Make sure you do well in your business prereqs man, they are important. The other stupid classes that don't have anything to do with business are less important.

When you applying to the busyness school?

im not to sure its my second semester and didnt really think about it ill ask an academic advisor next visit tho... and im doin worse in my "business" classes than others...damn.

hndlz.tumblr.com

April 6, 2011 @ 04:20 PM
JCrewkid

I could really use some help on this guys, it's been bugging me for awhile now.

I've been at a community college for about almost 2 years. I was taking prerequisite's for the Nursing program, but when it came to the Science classes, I came to the conclusion that Nursing really isn't for me. I wouldn't want to be wasting time and money into a course that I wasn't interested in. I made the decision to switch over to Business. But now I'm stuck in a position because I'm not sure if I should get my Associates at a Community College or transfer over to a Private College? As many of you know, school really isn't for everyone, that's why I'm only settling for a Associates as of right now, but things may change later on in the future.

If I stay at a community college, I would need to take a lot of unnecessary classes for GE's, along with the business classes that are directed towards my major which would take about another 2 or 3 years because of how hard it is to get classes and all the budget cuts. My school is cutting classes and possibly taking out the summer and winter classes.

If I go to a private college, the only requirement is to pass the entrance exam. The program is 9 months with 10 subjects, all directed towards Business, so no need to take unnecessary classes. Its basically 1 subject a month, with one month containing 2 subjects. I'll be out in 9 months and I could start working or work on transferring to get a Bachelors.

What do you guys would be the best decision?

Don't bother getting your Associates at a Heald or Devry or whatever. It's a waste of money. You'll end up owing a lot of money and a degree that isn't worth anything. Even people with a Bachelor's in business right now are struggling to find a job that pays more than $15 an hour. Best to finish up your schooling at a cc and wait this shitty economy out. Who knows, maybe after 2 years you'll decide to go to a university na mean? You'll have all the credits needed to transfer as a upper division student.

Nursing is a lot of dirty work. You'll be looking at nasty infected wounds and picking up feces all day long. The smells in your work area will make you wish you didn't have a nose. You should be glad you're no longer going to school to change some old man's diaper in the future.
April 6, 2011 @ 06:39 PM
WhiteMike

Don't bother getting your Associates at a Heald or Devry or whatever. It's a waste of money. You'll end up owing a lot of money and a degree that isn't worth anything. Even people with a Bachelor's in business right now are struggling to find a job that pays more than $15 an hour. Best to finish up your schooling at a cc and wait this shitty economy out. Who knows, maybe after 2 years you'll decide to go to a university na mearn? You'll have all the credits needed to transfer as a upper division student.

Nursing is a lot of dirty work. You'll be looking at nasty infected wounds and picking up feces all day long. The smells in your work area will make you wish you didn't have a nose. You should be glad you're no longer going to school to change some old man's diaper in the future.

Business jobs as far as finance and accounting and MIS and stuff are actually really strong right now. At least in the seattle area. I've been keeping my ear out for stuff so that when I graduate I know what to look for and all the companies around here are just doing a lot of hiring right now.
April 6, 2011 @ 08:33 PM
Homes

Business jobs as far as finance and accounting and MIS and stuff are actually really strong right now. At least in the seattle area. I've been keeping my ear out for stuff so that when I graduate I know what to look for and all the companies around here are just doing a lot of hiring right now.

Word, accounting is one of the highest paid bachelor's degrees. The Big 4 commonly hire straight out of college and pay ~$50k a year. And a lot of CEOs/execs started at those firms.
April 6, 2011 @ 08:36 PM
JCrewkid

Word, accounting is one of the highest paid bachelor's degrees. The Big 4 commonly hire straight out of college and pay ~$50k a year. And a lot of CEOs/execs started at those firms.

I got plenty of friends who graduated in accounting without a job right now. Many of them have been for a few years already. Accounting is mostly just seasonal here. I'm in the bay though so I don't know much about Seattle.
April 6, 2011 @ 09:27 PM
WhiteMike

I got plenty of friends who graduated in accounting without a job right now. Many of them have been for a few years already. Accounting is mostly just seasonal here. I'm in the bay though so I don't know much about Seattle.

Were your friends graduating with poor GPAs? Because that matters as well. Anyone I've known to graduate with accounting or finance with a good GPA has gotten job offers relatively quickly. It also shouldn't be a seasonal thing anywhere. Every company needs accountants and analysts to keep their day-to-day finances in order.
May 12, 2013 @ 03:52 AM
the cosby show.

i'm doing the equivalent of a political science major right now, but it's feels incredibly easy even with 10-15% grade deflation, so i'm hoping to transfer to econ this summer.

i used to think that, no matter how much i fucked up in school or in life, i could still get that $3 000 000 house in the suburbs/maserati/a high paying corporate job. teachers/adults have been telling me how smart/clever i am since i was in diapers so i just assumed that i'd be immune to whatever conditions prevented others from fulfilling their potential. my mom's a pretentious elitist who got me to think that we were naturally better than everyone else. i feel like all my life people have been building me up to see success as a god given right, when it really isn't. i'm really not built for the skruggle life.

a lot of my friends are moving back to china/hong kong after they get
their bachelors here, and i'm thinking of doing the same after i get my
masters in econ. i feel like it's next to impossible for a minority to "make it" in white shoe fields like law/investment banking/management consulting where i live (not america).

i have a relative who has a business helping western
firms adapt to asian markets in china and vietnam, so i might work there
after i graduate but idk.

it's weird how so few people can really "make it," depressing, even.
May 12, 2013 @ 04:04 AM
tmwtg

^ You only believe it's next to impossible for a minority to "make it" in those fields.

Coincidentally enough, I've met a lot of minorities in finance who are fucking bosses. And by bosses, I mean Managing Directors of banking/trading groups.

I suggest you cut that BS attitude about how everyone basically kissed your ass when you were young.
May 12, 2013 @ 06:47 PM
kbos

How do I feel about my future? Both scared and optimistic I guess. Its funny how people are scared to explore their full potential while being scared to never find their full potential.

Please login first to reply.