April 29, 2009 @ 12:38 AM
Forlan

I know some americans might not be familiar with soccer or interested in this at all, but Nike is seriously trying to extend the hype around some of their other releases to the soccer field.

Though there's only one Ronaldo that can be taken seriously in the game today the retro R9 Mercurial Vapors created for the old brazilian top goalscorer seem pretty interesting. They are the original 1998 design with modern technology add-ons and limited to 1000 pairs worldwide.

The design's pretty awesome and unlike most thin and light boots those are made of real leather instead of plastic so if they were available I'd most likely buy a pair to be worn on the pitch.

I suppose there was nobody camping out for those even though the ebay resell value is probably around the same as for Yeezy's for example.

If anyone knows a place to cop these online or could pick them up somewhere send a PM, I'd be interested. There ain't any spots in Finland for sure.

Nike's also released a Mercurial-themed Dunk in the colour scheme used in the 1998 World Cup

I think they should've used the black&black patent leather colorway on those as well.

And the original 98 Mercurials are going for quite a price on ebay
cgi.ebay.com/RARE-NIKE-MERCURIAL-R9-FOOTBALL-BOOTS-CLEATS-1998-MINT_W0QQitemZ120412002566QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_SportsMemorabilia_Football_Memorabilia_ET?hash=item120412002566

I personally work for Nike - mainly in projects involving football boots so I'm especially interested in your opinions whether it's ever possible to create real hype about football boots.
April 29, 2009 @ 04:23 PM
Tommy Boy

If you work for nike wouldn't you know where to cop them?
April 30, 2009 @ 09:14 PM
Forlan

Not actually. All I know is that they ain't available in Finland.
May 1, 2009 @ 12:55 AM
yarraguzmn

there is a certain level of hype with soccer cleats..everytime something new is coming out everyone on my team would be talking about gettin them and stuff..i personally had those 10th aniversary ronaldo cleats..copped them online in november 07 i think it was..pretty nice boots but the left shoe tore on me and i was unable to wear them anymore so i sold them on ebay for about 120..lol

Please login first to reply.