Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
February 1, 2009 @ 01:13 AM
DaveGold

Many people complain, bitch, etc. etc. about how [insert artists's name] isn't hip-hop, how hip-hop is 'dead' and how rela hip hop is hard to find. What do YOU consider hip-hop?

www.ProbablyNotGold.com

February 1, 2009 @ 01:16 AM
randomgrandeur

All. Of. It.
February 1, 2009 @ 01:27 AM
sargasm

Even though I hate hip hop snobbery, there is just some shit out there that just shouldn't qualify as rap. More than half of what's on rap stations is what you can find on top 40 stations. The electronic beats with disposable lyrics laced with autotune (that would have simply been seen as gay and European before TI came out with What You Know) doesn't seem like rap to me. It isn't distinct in being within the nature of hip hop.

It's ironic though, many rap enthusiast consider "real hip hop" something along the lines of being conscious rap with soul beats, but the prototype of rap began as freestyles talking about pumping the crowd up and partying.
February 1, 2009 @ 01:44 AM
Hype X Life

"Rap" and "hip-Hop" are two diff types of music
February 1, 2009 @ 02:05 AM
sargasm

I just think rap is part of the hip hop lifestyle, along with DJing, dancing, tagging, whatever else you want to associate with it. Hate this argument btw. Maybe someone could bring their own definition to the table.
February 1, 2009 @ 02:26 AM
MILK_&crackers

"i should've started rape...Rappers Against Phony Entertainers"

....that is all
February 1, 2009 @ 07:36 AM
DaKidFromHaiti

"Rap" and "hip-Hop" are two diff types of music

No they aren't. Hip Hop is the culture (Rapping, DJ'ing, Breaking and Graffiti Art) and Rap is the music of the culture. With that said, there is no such thing as "real" Hip Hop or "fake" Hip Hop, it's all Hip Hop, Soulja Boy is Hip Hop. There's only bad Hip Hop and good Hip Hop.
February 1, 2009 @ 10:03 AM
JKISSI

Took words out of my mouth ^

music that hits the soul esp
February 1, 2009 @ 10:07 AM
pnsho

Whether it's 'bad' or 'good' or 'real' hip-hop, it comes down to personal opinion.
February 1, 2009 @ 10:18 AM
unvrsl

Real hiphop is music made for the love of the art, not for a quick dollar or instant fame.
February 1, 2009 @ 12:54 PM
UNCOMMON VALUE

Whatever sound's good to you is real hip hop.
February 1, 2009 @ 02:22 PM
C.Dante

no fake hip hop or real hip hop just good music and bad music, souljah boy, bad. talib kwel, good

*lyricism , flow and a hot beat is all thats needed for me
February 1, 2009 @ 04:11 PM
KingJersey

No they aren't. Hip Hop is the culture (Rapping, DJ'ing, Breaking and Graffiti Art) and Rap is the music of the culture. With that said, there is no such thing as "real" Hip Hop or "fake" Hip Hop, it's all Hip Hop, Soulja Boy is Hip Hop. There's only bad Hip Hop and good Hip Hop.

Typed perfectly.smile
February 1, 2009 @ 05:17 PM
&bullshit

All. Of. It.

there is no such thing as "real" Hip Hop or "fake" Hip Hop, it's all Hip Hop, Soulja Boy is Hip Hop. There's only bad Hip Hop and good Hip Hop.

close thread.

http://92riots.tumblr.com/

February 1, 2009 @ 06:32 PM
no0 v.2.0

no fake hip hop or real hip hop just good music and bad music, souljah boy, bad. talib kwel, good

*lyricism , flow and a hot beat is all thats needed for me

nah talib is wack.
February 1, 2009 @ 07:40 PM
Jaylib

whhhat naw kweli is gooood
February 1, 2009 @ 07:58 PM
Mobb Deep

Mobb Deep
February 1, 2009 @ 10:32 PM
N123

nah talib is wack.

hahaahahahahahahahahahahahah fail
February 2, 2009 @ 11:28 AM
DBCEE

Pretty much anything that doesn't constantly spit about money, cars and women. That shit gets old real quick. For example some of my favorites are wu-tang, nas, mobb deep, a tribe called quest etc. *****s that can rhymes about anything at any given point.
February 2, 2009 @ 07:47 PM
Average Joe 51

Honestly REAL hip hop is just being you and living your life. Hip hop is culture, like everyone else has said and nobody seems to want to listen to or comprehend. If you live your life the way you want and you rap about the way you're REALLY living but in a creative and artistic fashion that's true to yourself then shit, that's hip hop. I just hate the ignorant mufuckas out there who continue the belief that hip hop is about people killing each other and for you to be hip hop you gotta be a thug a gangster a drug dealer or a killer. It's all stupid. Especially when people hate on Hipsters. Hipsters are taking it hip hop back to it's early 90's roots. SHUT THE FUCK UP HATING and appreciate the culture for what it is!
February 2, 2009 @ 08:29 PM

Inactive

What it sounded like before whitey= Real Hip-Hop.
February 3, 2009 @ 04:02 PM
moosehair

i love hip hop but nowadays rappers exploit it for money and because its the new thing to make big money the secret is marketing look at soulja boy his success was because of the internet and he did songs for clubs partys and is targeted more for young kids rappers dont need to be lryricists like they used to or be a dude who grew up in poverty and been through shit the new thing is marketing and i think there isnt goin to be *real hip hop* anymore its 2009.
February 3, 2009 @ 10:12 PM
ClydeFrazier

real hiphop?

biggie, hova, ghostface, public enemy, kweli, mos def, mobb deep, etc

not real hiphop

808s, t-pain, soulja boy, lil wayne

Melo Gang All Day

February 3, 2009 @ 10:16 PM
almost1

Ny=real hip-hop

basisny.com

February 3, 2009 @ 10:24 PM
Black Chanler

Exactly. What's funny is that people try to put rules on a culture and music genre that was made off of breaking rules.
February 3, 2009 @ 10:39 PM
Juki

Right, there are no rules...Rap is Rap as a genre. Hip Hop as a culture however is dead in my opinion. It'll never be like it was in the 80's or even the 90's and thats when it got its name or definition. Rap will always be around but its changing. I don't know what I'd call the culture associated with todays Rap.

Doubleclutchhoops.com

February 3, 2009 @ 10:48 PM
Ruffnex06

Joe Budden
Saigon
Royce Da 5'9
Grafh
Loaded Lux
Serious Jones
Wale
Scarface
Little Brother
early Clipse
Carter 1 Wayne
Late 90s early 2000 Dipset
Big L
Big Pun
JadaKiss
Styles P
Black Thought
Crooked I
Cassidy (before he got locked... this guy still hasnt gotten over the fact that hes been locked up, this brotha feels the need to mention it on 85 percent of his songs)
cool phew....
February 3, 2009 @ 11:00 PM
Ruffnex06

Ny=real hip-hop

Rumor says it that NY is too cool to like anything nowadays... this true?
February 3, 2009 @ 11:05 PM
soulamazing.

Pretty much anything that doesn't constantly spit about money, cars and women. That shit gets old real quick. For example some of my favorites are wu-tang, nas, mobb deep, a tribe called quest etc. *****s that can rhymes about anything at any given point.

wut, with the exception of ATCQ; Nas, Mobb Deep, and Wu ALL rap about money and women.
February 3, 2009 @ 11:12 PM
Ruffnex06

Honestly REAL hip hop is just being you and living your life. Hip hop is culture, like everyone else has said and nobody seems to want to listen to or comprehend. If you live your life the way you want and you rap about the way you're REALLY living but in a creative and artistic fashion that's true to yourself then shit, that's hip hop. I just hate the ignorant mufuckas out there who continue the belief that hip hop is about people killing each other and for you to be hip hop you gotta be a thug a gangster a drug dealer or a killer. It's all stupid. Especially when people hate on Hipsters. Hipsters are taking it hip hop back to it's early 90's roots. SHUT THE FUCK UP HATING and appreciate the culture for what it is!

Sad to it say but you are correct. A few years back werent people complaining about Rap/ Hip-Hop getting too violent? But now that this so- called "hipster rap" has emerge people are somehow against this too. How ironic....
The people who say this DONT KNOW HOW TO ENJOY MUSIC FOR WHAT IT IS....MUSIC.
Would you be able to label this music as "hipster rap" if they didnt dress the way they did. Would you call Lil Wayne a hipster because of the way he dress at the VMAs that just past (which by the way was a bit borderline IMO)? This whole hipster thing is a bunch of highschool social group shit.

People need to get over it and pick up a copy of Mood Muzik 3 and Bar Exam 2. lol

Please login first to reply.