Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $175.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP175
November 15, 2008 @ 02:57 PM

Inactive

Jimmy Fallon aint even funny sad

If you are a fan of The Roots, the last time to see them perform live may be during their upcoming tour of Europe, which kicks off November 11 in Switzerland.

Sources have told AllHipHop.com that the revered Philadelphia Hip-Hop band will temporarily retire from touring in March of 2009.

While the news may be a disappointment for some, the reason for the decision is sure to delight fans of late night television.

The Roots will serve as the new house band for former Saturday Night Live actor Jimmy Fallon, when he replaces Conan O
November 15, 2008 @ 05:25 PM
Eddie Winslow

wow, that's balls
November 15, 2008 @ 05:45 PM
pnsho

I'm guessing they pay more than tours?

Still, I hope they at least tour one more time. I need to catch them before their big halt.
November 15, 2008 @ 08:33 PM
damnwitless2

suspended

that's mad ill

All I do is smoke weed, blow lines, and listen to MF DOOM. And rap. http://www.facebook.com/SpacemanNYC

November 15, 2008 @ 10:32 PM
illy

sadsadsadsadsadsadsadsadsadsadsadsadsadsadsadsadsadsadsadsadsad
November 16, 2008 @ 03:25 AM
AlwayS_DreSSeD

They're so incredible live... Saw them with Lupe...

www.NickyDsss.com

November 16, 2008 @ 03:28 AM
Joe_

im seeing them when they come to Australia for good vibes festival in late febuary yeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh.
November 16, 2008 @ 03:35 AM
scfdefinit

Shieet. I haven't seen them live yet. I was going to see them at a concert once but it was 21+ and I'm only 20 right now. Damn. Oh well. If I ever get another opportunity I will jump on it.
November 16, 2008 @ 04:22 AM
cableboi

wow no more jay leno
November 16, 2008 @ 04:28 AM
Tiger Woo

wow no more jay leno

Leno hasn't been funny for 10 years.

I saw the Roots live in Barcelona 2 years ago. They straight up tore the house down. Best live show I've ever seen.cool

For Sale:Supreme SNY New Era (http://hypebeast.com/forums/apparel/172934/? topic_page=1#post-3530817)

November 16, 2008 @ 06:09 AM
A.B.Y.S.S.

[FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="4"]I Have To Agree, Fallon Is Not Tha Entertaining As A Whole Act To Me. This Has Been Planned For Him To Receive The Torch From Conan As He Exits To Take Jay Leno's Position. I Wonder How They Eff They Got The Roots To Do This. Hopefully, It Won't Backfire On Them If Jimmy Bums It Up.[/SIZE][/FONT]
November 16, 2008 @ 07:05 AM

Inactive

They have to be getting paid a shit load of money to leave the road. Because im sure they get more cash touring then from album slaes. I wonder if black thought is going with them to Fallon....I wouldnt think so...and if not...how the hell is he gonna make money?
November 16, 2008 @ 07:32 AM
Kingkoor

Official from ?uests mouth. Thank god I seen The Roots well over 10 times.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKfDVASQK-Q

From Okayaplayer Board this was ?uests response

"yeah its hard to make this announcement
cause its not like we wanted to pull the heartstrings on some "this is our last tour" cause we will forever do gigs....i mean people east of chicago shouldn't fear and im certain that on weekends we could trek to an occasional seattle or diego.

but obviously europe and abroad could miss out (then again 10 weeks off and once he gets nuff reruns under his belt could mean more gig time.)

i see the possible chance of this being a "bigger" move...but on the real? i dont know if i want to be 40 on the road and single no more. and with the kids my group has now getting older, its harder for the guys to leave more than it was when the kids were 2 and 3. and i cant even start to go on that path til a woman takes me seriously. and aint noone taking a man serious who is in his own home for only 3 months out the year. i been in my crib since 2006 and i STILL aint unpack everything yet.

i pray this show dont take the chevy road just yet. imma love my new home at 30 rock. 2 visits and im already on first name basis with the snl cats."

My big question is, what happens with Thought?
November 16, 2008 @ 09:16 AM
DaKidFromHaiti

I saw them live twice already, hopefully I'll be able to catch them a 3rd time. I think Thought will probably start doing his solo thing, we'll see.
November 16, 2008 @ 09:43 AM
damnwitless2

suspended

Thought's not gonna be on it, you act like they don't do mad shit without him already. He doesn't write or record with them, he's got mad independent projects on deck, and house bands never have lead vocalists

All I do is smoke weed, blow lines, and listen to MF DOOM. And rap. http://www.facebook.com/SpacemanNYC

November 16, 2008 @ 09:53 AM
Citizen-16657

I heard the money isn't even that great, I heard it's more about the medical benefits that that ***** questlove be needing for his legs and back from carrying around the fattest ass I have ever seen on any dude with as narrow a shoulders as that ***** has.

They have to be getting paid a shit load of money to leave the road. Because im sure they get more cash touring then from album slaes. I wonder if black thought is going with them to Fallon....I wouldnt think so...and if not...how the hell is he gonna make money?
November 16, 2008 @ 10:58 AM
ThePepperSkull

FUCK. I haven't seen these guys live yet. I need to get on that.
November 16, 2008 @ 11:08 AM
Sev

The Roots a fucking house band? WTF is that shit?

I KNEW I should have made an effort to hit up that Toronto show they just played.

SMH, kicking myself bigtime here.
November 16, 2008 @ 11:55 AM
owensA

Well I hope the show gets canceled mad fast, no one likes jimmy fallon, all his films tank and he couldn't keep a straight face on Snl. Being in philly hopefully they'll still do a hometown show every now and again
November 16, 2008 @ 01:01 PM
Eddie Winslow

thank God i've seen them 4 times already
and everytime they blow me away (nomo)
but this is still sad
November 16, 2008 @ 01:50 PM

Inactive

Thought's not gonna be on it, you act like they don't do mad shit without him already. He doesn't write or record with them, he's got mad independent projects on deck, and house bands never have lead vocalists

Yeah the band does mad shit without him and Thought does shit independently...but Thought get his money ffrom the road...he's said this. And, Im sure he can get a few bucks on the solo tip and hes a respected performer in his own right. But lets be real here...the band is thought of as a whole and BT is apart of that without the band it takes away some of the excitement of seeing Black Thought even for die hard fans like myself. I would guess his pockets would be affected dramatically by this. BT traveled allover the world with the band. Im sure he cant command a huge check just for himself.
November 16, 2008 @ 04:09 PM
bmorekicks

They'll still tour just not as much...Conan's house band still tour with Bruce Springsteen from time to time

I heard Thought's solo album is pretty much done already
November 16, 2008 @ 04:30 PM
damnwitless2

suspended

Conan's house band still tour with Bruce Springsteen from time to time

nah man, just Max Weinberg, all of the other dudes stay behind at the show

November 17, 2008 @ 12:25 AM
Cazal79

Nothing good since things falls apart anyway
November 17, 2008 @ 07:02 AM
Kingkoor

"yeah its hard to make this announcement
cause its not like we wanted to pull the heartstrings on some "this is our last tour" cause we will forever do gigs....i mean people east of chicago shouldn't fear and im certain that on weekends we could trek to an occasional seattle or diego.

but obviously europe and abroad could miss out (then again 10 weeks off and once he gets nuff reruns under his belt could mean more gig time.)"
-Questlove
November 17, 2008 @ 07:50 AM
JKISSI

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
November 17, 2008 @ 10:36 AM
WGMeets

Damn I've never seen em live either! Need to find out if any dates left near NYC.
November 17, 2008 @ 06:05 PM
StrghtCshHMY

Im sure he cant command a huge check just for himself.

I just got put on to The Roots in the past year. Dont ask why, but I never gave their albums any play. But after listening to their last two, I'm wondering why Black Thought hasn't got nearly enough recognition as I feel he deserves.

His flow is rare, when he comes on the track, I get the feeling like he's trying to attack it. He goes hard. He rhymes well and over some really tuff beats. And he can rap about a range of topics.

I don't expect every good MC to get alot of radio play. But even amongst rap fans, his name is rarely brought when talking about the top notch. What do yall think it is
November 17, 2008 @ 06:31 PM
Essence0

Sad to hear but I guess I'm the only who likes Jimmy Fallon and thinks he could be a good host. I mean Conan was an awful host his first couple years but he eventually got his groove and is the best now. Gotta give Fallon some time, plus he doesn't need to stay in character and I enjoyed him on Weekend Update which is similar to what he'll have to do soon.
November 17, 2008 @ 07:50 PM

Inactive

I just got put on to The Roots in the past year. Dont ask why, but I never gave their albums any play. But after listening to their last two, I'm wondering why Black Thought hasn't got nearly enough recognition as I feel he deserves.

His flow is rare, when he comes on the track, I get the feeling like he's trying to attack it. He goes hard. He rhymes well and over some really tuff beats. And he can rap about a range of topics.

I don't expect every good MC to get alot of radio play. But even amongst rap fans, his name is rarely brought when talking about the top notch. What do yall think it is

Truthfully, Black Thought is a throwback to the "golden era" he has similar flow patterns to Big Daddy Kane and Kool G Rap. SO, he's one of the last MCs that's still relevant who really has no back story or image. He's just a dope ass MC and in modern Hip Hop its gotta be more. You gott a have star power or an image. Add to the fact that allot of people have always considered The Roots soft or jazz rap because of the band aspect and have never really given them the chance. U said yourself that u just got into them. Theres several people who will just never give them a chance simply because how the group is set up.

Please login first to reply.