Labor Day - Enjoy 25% Off Your Order. Use code: LABORDAY25
November 15, 2008 @ 05:54 AM
menace2

the most overrated song on one of the most overrated hip hop albums of the past decade.

The Lost Tapes is still the REAL Stillmatic to me
November 15, 2008 @ 12:10 PM
extrodinaire

^^^
nah easy buddy nobody overated that album. The general concensus was that it was decent. Nobody thought that shit was the holy grail, With that said one mic is a classic Nas record and he had a few bangaz on it.
November 15, 2008 @ 12:17 PM
oןʎɐɹ

the most overrated song on one of the most overrated hip hop albums of the past decade.

fuck stillmatic when you have illmatic...
November 15, 2008 @ 12:31 PM
therza

i see you're back fade. welkkkum back souljah.
November 15, 2008 @ 01:46 PM
Killa!

infamous i swear ur hella in love with this song
November 15, 2008 @ 02:11 PM
menace2

^^^
nah easy buddy nobody overated that album. The general concensus was that it was decent. Nobody thought that shit was the holy grail, With that said one mic is a classic Nas record and he had a few bangaz on it.

well...i don't follow hip hop discussion too much nowadays, but remember when it came out everyone was pushing Stillmatic/Nas as the underdog, looking back, the fans who seriously thought Stillmatic was better than The Blueprint are delusional.

and Ether winning that "battle"...gimme a break, that was a sympathy victory. Takeover cut much deeper to the core.

and this isn't coming from a blind Jay fanatic...while I think Reasonable Doubt slightly edges over Illmatic, I can admit that nothing Jay has ever written or recorded will match Nas' verse on Verbal Intercourse.
November 15, 2008 @ 02:46 PM
Homeless

illmatic is way more hype then stillmatic.

but the music video for one mic is deep.

and i agree the lost tapes are coolcoolcool
purples on of my fav tracks
November 15, 2008 @ 07:51 PM
Juki

while I think Reasonable Doubt slightly edges over Illmatic,

Nope, you might be the only one on earth who thinks this..But I love Reasonable Doubt dont get me wrong. The only thing that could ever touch Illmatic to me is Lost Tapes. Godson was really good also.

One mic. to me was just significant to Nas at the time with all he was going through. Although I agree its not the great song people make it out to be, he said alot of deep stuff in it. Most rappers dont show that much emotion nowadays.

Doubleclutchhoops.com

November 16, 2008 @ 02:43 AM
A.B.Y.S.S.

[FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="4"]To Me It Speaks On An MC/Rapper At Times Goin' Through His Mothers Condition And Gettin' Caught At That Time Into An Epic Battle Of Words With Another Gifted MC/Rapper At Times, Seriously Think About Leavin' Tha Game. All He Needed Was His One Mic, Apologize For My Comment Being So Long Nuff Said.[/SIZE][/FONT]
November 17, 2008 @ 12:14 AM
Cazal79

dope video...!
November 17, 2008 @ 04:45 AM
CaribQueen

Crazy...

One of the best Hip Hop songs of the past decade.
November 17, 2008 @ 06:31 PM
StrghtCshHMY

and Ether winning that "battle"...gimme a break, that was a sympathy victory. Takeover cut much deeper to the core.

and this isn't coming from a blind Jay fanatic...while I think Reasonable Doubt slightly edges over Illmatic, I can admit that nothing Jay has ever written or recorded will match Nas' verse on Verbal Intercourse.

Agree with you on the first part. Takeover was the better diss track. Two reasons, it was Jay at an anger level that we will prolly never see again. Evident just by listening to him go at Nas on that. 2nd, Ether relied on corny lines like "Gay-Z and Cockafella Records wanted beef", "You Tae-bo hoe", "You no mustache having, with whiskers like a rat." Meanwhile Jay gets at Nas with things that neither Nas fans nor Nas himself can dispute: "You made it a hot line, I made it a hot song" "you ain't get a corn ***** you was gettin fucked and I know who I paid God, Serchlite Publishing." lastly, let's not mention that Jay-Z was prolly the only rapper to damage his foe by using mathematical equations in a diss song. But let me stop before we start going that track.

As to your claim that Jay hasn't spit a verse that can touch Verbal Intercourse. I think that's dead wrong. You can't listen to Jay the same way you listen to Nas. I suspect that you really like Verbal Intercourse for Nas' smooth flow, imagery. No doubt that verse was dope. "Prop's is a true thugs wife," is one great line. But you can't knock Jay for not being able to compare to that. He has a different style. 22 Two's is in the same league as V.I. as is the 2nd verse off of What More Can I Say, check out www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/jayz/devils.html and www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/jayz/imaginaryplayer.html.
November 17, 2008 @ 06:46 PM
Deemy

Takeover was more using clever lines whereas Ether was blatant and direct.
November 17, 2008 @ 07:53 PM
extrodinaire

Come on man... Jay got bodied on Ether. Take over was a great record due to the dope ass doors sample Kanye used but diss wise it was ok. Ya'll claim nas had corny lines in Ether? he talked truth on that joint as well...by calling out Jay for saying he was better than big...which he did say, and also calling Jay out on the fact he had always wanted to work with Nas on a record and was bitter about that(nas was supposed to be on "can I live" off reasonable doubt..but dude never showed up to the studio). And Nas's line about Russel being from Queens and running def jam was clever as well...Nas bodied Jay on that everyone knows Jay lost even Jay knows he lost that one...dude was so bitter he went on to record the extremly weak "super ugly" freestyle..and Blueprint song.

Oh and Jay's second verse on "what more can I say" is really not a good rebuttle against something as ill as nas's verse on verbal intercourse..how bout Jay's verse on Where i'm from? "Can I live? D'Evils third verse...
November 17, 2008 @ 08:04 PM
extrodinaire

Jay's a baby lol makes no differnce now anyway...they have a few songs together...but they did do a joint back in the day as well...that "anlyze this" joint with Lord tariq that shit was ill too!...too bad jays verse was umm ok.
November 17, 2008 @ 09:27 PM
KingJersey

Agree with you on the first part. Takeover was the better diss track. Two reasons, it was Jay at an anger level that we will prolly never see again. Evident just by listening to him go at Nas on that. 2nd, Ether relied on corny lines like "Gay-Z and Cockafella Records wanted beef", "You Tae-bo hoe", "You no mustache having, with whiskers like a rat." Meanwhile Jay gets at Nas with things that neither Nas fans nor Nas himself can dispute: "You made it a hot line, I made it a hot song" "you ain't get a corn ***** you was gettin fucked and I know who I paid God, Serchlite Publishing." lastly, let's not mention that Jay-Z was prolly the only rapper to damage his foe by using mathematical equations in a diss song. But let me stop before we start going that track.

Pause. I guess I'll break it down Takeover was NOT a better diss than Ether, how is Takeover better and your reason for this is Jay was angry, not his lyrics but him just being angry? And second you say he says things that Nas fans and Nas himself can't dispute, "You made it a hot line, I made it a hot song" So your tellin me "The World is Yours" is wack and only had that 1 hot line. "You no mustache having, with whiskers like a rat." that line was hard and the truth. Both said truthful things If thats what you were gettin at. Lets just compare all the disses to the right 1

Ether>Takeover
Stillmatic freestyle>Supa Ugly freestyle
Last Real ***** Alive>Blueprint 2

All the disses went in, but Nas came out on top in all of 'em IMO. I may have missed 1, but I don't won't to come off as I hate Jay, hes 1 of my favorites, but I'm just trying to say he lost the battle.
November 17, 2008 @ 10:19 PM
BobtheFoB

cause this is a thread about nas and jay beef right...

investment banking pays the bills

November 17, 2008 @ 10:25 PM
MILK_&crackers

Pause. I guess I'll break it down Takeover was NOT a better diss than Ether, how is Takeover better and your reason for this is Jay was angry, not his lyrics but him just being angry? And second you say he says things that Nas fans and Nas himself can't dispute, "You made it a hot line, I made it a hot song" So your tellin me "The World is Yours" is wack and only had that 1 hot line. "You no mustache having, with whiskers like a rat." that line was hard and the truth. Both said truthful things If thats what you were gettin at. Lets just compare all the disses to the right 1

Ether>Takeover
Stillmatic freestyle>Supa Ugly freestyle
Last Real ***** Alive>Blueprint 2

All the disses went in, but Nas came out on top in all of 'em IMO. I may have missed 1, but I don't won't to come off as I hate Jay, hes 1 of my favorites, but I'm just trying to say he lost the battle.

Thank you...
November 17, 2008 @ 10:40 PM
extrodinaire

^^^
exatcly...see this is one area were no matter how much of a Jay fan you are you just can't say Jay won that battle he got bodied plain and simple!
November 17, 2008 @ 10:52 PM
zeezyo

lolz at all this chit chat about jay z and nas beef.

this thread is about one mic. this is one of my favorite nas tracks. but to me, the point nas is trying to get across is that all he needs is one mic to make his presence known and to keep his problems away. he believes he can resolve most/all of lifes problem by using his mic/voice. and he goes on to motivate his listeners to find that one passion in life that can take away all the pain, conflicts and obstacles that make life difficult.

X

November 18, 2008 @ 03:14 AM
menace2

Nas has a lot of good ideas for music boiling in his head...the only problem is when it comes down to makin the music, he just hasn't been able to capture the luster of his 90s work this past decade. I think the only Nas songs I've liked since Stillmatic are Purple and War.

as for the current Jay-Z...i don't think he could give a fuck less about the music. It was just another hustle, a platform to take him to bigger and better things. Technically he's a better lyricist than Big, but he never had the heart Big did. Using the music as a means to an end rather than the music being the end itself...i might admire the likes of Kanye and Nas more from an artistic standpoint, but they will never step across the line into music capitalists like the likes of Jay.
November 18, 2008 @ 07:43 PM
Juki

"Godson across the belly, I prove you lost already." Nas won with that line alone.

Doubleclutchhoops.com

November 18, 2008 @ 10:46 PM
menace2

ok this china man is just really stupid now.

Nas never wanted to go mainstream (for underline #1)
You say this why? cuz big is dead and couldn't show people in China much more than he did here in North America? (for underline #2)

pls stop commenting on things...

you're an idiot.
November 18, 2008 @ 10:56 PM
Invictus

Rip the freeway, shoot through memphis with money bags
Stop in Philly, order cheese steaks and eat beans fast

So hard. Listen to the H to the OMO aka Stillmatic freestyle. That is the best fuckin flow in the HISTORY of music.

On point, I don't even know how to explain One Mic, shit gives me goosebumps.
November 18, 2008 @ 11:22 PM
MILK_&crackers

^^^

cuz its H to the Izzo, M to the Izzo, fo shizzle you faggot the rappin version of SisQo!
November 19, 2008 @ 10:13 AM
Christdawg

As to your claim that Jay hasn't spit a verse that can touch Verbal Intercourse. I think that's dead wrong. You can't listen to Jay the same way you listen to Nas. I suspect that you really like Verbal Intercourse for Nas' smooth flow, imagery. No doubt that verse was dope. "Prop's is a true thugs wife," is one great line. But you can't knock Jay for not being able to compare to that. He has a different style. 22 Two's is in the same league as V.I. as is the 2nd verse off of What More Can I Say, check out www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/jayz/devils.html and www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/jayz/imaginaryplayer.html.

^WOrd.
November 20, 2008 @ 09:52 AM
menace2

my man...i got nothin but love for you.

but you are from Missi-fuckin-sauga. Your view of the world is most likely smaller than my fist.
November 24, 2008 @ 01:34 AM
ostrichboy92

^ arent you a china man from HK? that concludes that you DUNNO SHIT feel me?

^ Nas > Jay-Z lyrically wise (which no one listens to anymore since everyone rather bump to beats than wise words. lets face it? Jay always had better production line-up than Nas....only conclude that Nas dont need all-star line up to make good songs. Note this how i remember back in the day. Nas started to lose fans cuz of his beats.)

Jay-z > Nas business wise (full of all-star producer ever since reasonable doubt. but has hard time story telling. rocawear, rocafella records, alot of featuring.)

Jay-z was smart to go with that "hard but mainstream/pop joint" while Nas couldnt do it cuz Nas was
always that nigar that dont need to try harder cuz he was already on the next level when he dropped his first in 94.

All in all conclusion is that Nas and Jay-z is incomparable. There isnt no Nas over Jay or Jay over Nas...one is like a orchid and other one is roses. but i think jay worked harder than Nas as we can see the large difference of their bank account.

now let me ask you? what was the real reason why Jay-z and Nas beef'd?

i fully agree with everything you say on both nas and jay except for the part about jay working harder than nas.. jay gave the people what they wanted ..dope beats that didnt rely on phenomenal lyrics.. this is why his bank account >>> Nas's.. it doesnt mean he worked harder it just means the peoples demands ruled in favor of Jay
November 24, 2008 @ 10:35 PM
dmwalking

man comparing JAY to NAS is apples to oranges...

nas is more poetic/intelligent thug....rakim

jay is more flamboyant/big willie/witty punchlines....big daddy kane

gettin a person to agree that one is better than the other is getting them to totally change their lyrical preferences.

they're both great at what they do.

guy on some broke bus. Love, Sosa. "Don't feed the trolls" initiative coming soon. We can rebuild.

Please login first to reply.