Enjoy an Additional 10% Off on All Sale Items - Use code: EXTRA10
February 14, 2009 @ 02:20 AM
Brooklyn_718

Yea to each his own I guess lol.....
February 14, 2009 @ 02:24 AM
SantoAngelo

I think they're just different type of artists. IMO the budden comparisson works better. Like I wouldnt compare Drake to Elzhi, but I would compare Elzhi to Royce.
February 14, 2009 @ 02:33 AM
Brooklyn_718

I agree with that statement. "Elzhi to Royce"
February 14, 2009 @ 02:59 AM
SantoAngelo

I agree with that statement. "Elzhi to Royce"

I get you. I love Drake, he's that dude, but none of his verses not even on Comeback Season aren't comparing to Boom.

Like I said different types of artists. I don't think Drake want's to run with those cats anymore. On Comback Season he still idolized Phonte. On this one he's getting his future of commercial hip hop music on, which I would argue is smart music (i.e. not completely dumbed down) sprinkled with a little artsy fartsy.

Drake is a young, better looking (no homo), more lyrical Weezy, and that's where I think his appeal is. Drake has the potential to be everything Wayne wished he could be, but Drake still has a long road to travel.

Drake's commercial songs > Budden's commercial failures

Budden just isn't as diverse as Drake. Like if Budden isn't doing his complaint rap, or shitting on the industry shit. I don't wanna hear him. But again they're different artists. Budden is like what you want a mixtape rapper to be and a whole lot more.

Drake is to Wayne, as Kid Cudi is Kanye, not because they're each other protege's so to speak, but becuase that's what the reality is. Kanye and Weezy are arguably the best representation of this generations "commercial" Hip Hop.

A new cat I would compare to Royce is Termanology. Drake vs Termanology would be a good representation of too young dudes in the different spheres of Hip Hop in question. Because comparing Drake to Royce is like comparing Term to Wayne, it just doesn't work like that.
February 14, 2009 @ 07:00 AM
southwest55

I thought of budden when i first heard dude too. But truthfully after listenin to this mixtape. Nobodys fckn with him. His lyrics and flow are crazy. This dude has was it takes to be a star for real.
February 14, 2009 @ 08:03 AM
K BOOG

I get you. I love Drake, he's that dude, but none of his verses not even on Comeback Season aren't comparing to Boom.

Like I said different types of artists. I don't think Drake want's to run with those cats anymore. On Comback Season he still idolized Phonte. On this one he's getting his future of commercial hip hop music on, which I would argue is smart music (i.e. not completely dumbed down) sprinkled with a little artsy fartsy.

Drake is a young, better looking (no homo), more lyrical Weezy, and that's where I think his appeal is. Drake has the potential to be everything Wayne wished he could be, but Drake still has a long road to travel.

Drake's commercial songs > Budden's commercial failures

Budden just isn't as diverse as Drake. Like if Budden isn't doing his complaint rap, or shitting on the industry shit. I don't wanna hear him. But again they're different artists. Budden is like what you want a mixtape rapper to be and a whole lot more.

Drake is to Wayne, as Kid Cudi is Kanye, not because they're each other protege's so to speak, but becuase that's what the reality is. Kanye and Weezy are arguably the best representation of this generations "commercial" Hip Hop.

A new cat I would compare to Royce is Termanology. Drake vs Termanology would be a good representation of too young dudes in the different spheres of Hip Hop in question. Because comparing Drake to Royce is like comparing Term to Wayne, it just doesn't work like that.

what do you mean by that statement? Wayne is where every mc wants to be...
February 14, 2009 @ 08:38 AM

Inactive

I don't necessarily think that Wayne wants to be like Drake. But, I do think that Wayne sees a more accessible version of himself in Drake, that's why I think he's welcomed him into his fold. Also, I think though is that Drake has adopted allot of Wayne's patterns and styles and adopted them to a less eccentric flow pattern.

For example, Wayne has a way of rapping in a stream of consciousness and fitting together loose metaphors and the result comes out like a long form rambling verse from an entertaining drug addict. Drake also has this way of shooting off in a thousand directions but his brain is probably less encumbered by a haze of codeine so his verses are more cohesive. Now...I don't necessarily think this makes Drake better or worse, just different. Its almost like a non crazy person's interpretation of Wayne's music. Also, the singing aspect is there too. WHile Wayne croaks his singing out more for effect and feeling...Drake actually croons like a R&B singer. They both utlize autotune which to tell u the truth rappers weren't really using after Wayne. Sure, T-pain brought it to this generation but after wayne started using it on every verse it just spread. Also instead of riding the beat Wayne makes the beat come to him. He has a different flow for every verse and every beat and Drake does that as well.

So yeah...there are similarities. If you go back and listen to Drake's earlier stuff his flow wasnt as much like Wayne as it is now. It was more straight forward and less likely to veer off into 100 different lanes like Wayne. Love or hate Wayne he has at least made allot of different artists more adventurous. Im under the impression if Carter 3 wouldnt have been this hodgepodge of conceptual scattered brain rapping and singing that Kanye would have never dropped such an ambitious album as 808s and Heartbreak. Shit, Im even hearing Jay-z using a Jamaican patois and more of a sing songy flow that he hasnt really utilized as much before.
February 14, 2009 @ 09:28 AM
unvrsl

I was born in Toronto, Canada and have lived here all my life. And I can tell you that people would be in shock to find americans discussing one of Toronto's own emcees in this capacity... whether it was good or bad feedback. I was never a huge Drake fan but always gave him credit because he knows how to stand out from the crowd. At times he can be wishy-washy and sound like an imitator of other artists but one thing he ever forgets is where he is from.

It's just sad that you guys don't know about the depth of lyrical talent coming out of Toronto besides Drake... because he isn't the only one. Up here he is considered one of the newbies, look out for other guys like Shad K, Saukrates, Mathematik, Tona, Marvel, Theology 3, and a few others. They may not have Drake's money or connections so they won't ever have as much impact but they most definitely are as potent with lyricism and use of metaphor.. don't sleep.
February 14, 2009 @ 10:13 AM
CASHVILLE.931

Finnaly downloading
February 14, 2009 @ 10:15 AM
TStyles

U Mad?

lol.

Get at me when you address my second point. The I posted it first shit was really just a blow at what you initially opened your mouth about, cool you posted the shit a minute before me. It doesn't even matter cause I was probably writing something about the shit while you posted it.

I cant check the own thread I'm starting meanwhile checking the old thread to see if there's a link. I could have a computer, laptop, and iphone, but I;m not about to check all three. I don't dickride the forums for specific's . Granted, I have called people out for double posting. But that's been a matter of people being lazy and double posting the same thread just becuase the didn't use the search.

Also, I see your trying to call me out on the first non-sesnse. Like i mentioned before hand I managed to post it on my site, and start a thread with my thoughts at the time on here, not just drop a link, and you want to talk reckless becuase our posts were a minute off from each other.

At the end of the day. I see you completely neglected my strongest point, which was if you wanted a link to the tape, would you want to a) look through a thread full of anticipation comments, or B) A new thread with a link right at the top of the first page for you.

I said I wouldn't say anything more about this. I don't think I have too. At the end of the day, which thread is everyone checking for MINE, and which one are you posting in MINE. Don't run around and tell me I'm acting like a bitch when you could've easily just seen another thread about it and ignored it if you wished.

So I gave you a the real reason behind the new thread, and unless you cant read or are completely illiterate asshole it should get through your head, but just in case your that stupid I'ma break it down for you through a valid argument.

1. If making a new thread would result in an easier download of Drake's So Far Gone for the members of HB forums, then making a new thread was necessary.
2. making a new thread would result in an easier download of Drake's So Far Gone for the members of HB forums
3. Therefore, making a new thread was necessary

smile

like i said, i could give a fuck about who posted it first. there was a thread about the mixtape already. A discussion thread. If people are too lazy to read through a couple posts about the mixtape they're downloading, they could get it from octobersveryown. The REAL reason for this thread was to spam your website.
February 14, 2009 @ 11:03 AM
.rump

comback season is much better, but this mix his shows his versatitly and that he can do a numerous amount of songs and such.. still good shit
February 14, 2009 @ 11:07 AM
BEN BALLER

I stand corrected.

Yeah, but I just figured he couldn't have the finished product if they're still finishing it. Doesn't make sense. But maybe he's got an earlier version.

naw I had the finished version a few days before you posted in here.... but 2 songs were changed last minute, I mean literally within 24 hours of the release and I learned to like bria's interlude with Omarion on there.... but the version of uptown thats on my page is definitely a different song overall to me.
February 14, 2009 @ 11:10 AM
CASHVILLE.931

^yo hook it up with a grill.
February 14, 2009 @ 11:14 AM
SantoAngelo

like i said, i could give a fuck about who posted it first. there was a thread about the mixtape already. A discussion thread. If people are too lazy to read through a couple posts about the mixtape they're downloading, they could get it from octobersveryown. The REAL reason for this thread was to spam your website.

Aight so you lost the argument, becuase like I been saying the whole time your shit was weaker than the SB vs Bow wow beef. Go read my shit. I don't have to justify that, when I said in my post I'm could be considered spam, but I was waiting for the joint so fuck it. Plus if you don't want to go to my site, I got a link directly to the joint. I been dropping music for HB members way before I even got a website. Now I got a website, and I want to build up the views there isnt a crime in that.

If someone where to search for the tape in the future on HB forums, they would know which thread had the mixtape with a download link, and they would see it right at the top. Starting a new thread once a project has been released is just good etiquette, But you don't seem to think that way, which is cool to each their own.

Now i feel like were really bringing second hand argument to readers of this thread, so let it be. From my side its deaded cause this thread should be about the project, and not about two guys ranting about posting a new thread. At the end of the day whether it was for reasons of "spam", organization, or sheer ignorance you would feel the way you feel becuase there was already a thread, which may very well be true. However, for reasons out of my control this thread is the one people rocked with.

fin.
February 14, 2009 @ 11:17 AM
SantoAngelo

Ben I'd like to do an interview with you.
February 14, 2009 @ 11:22 AM
dalek

Drake is a young, better looking (no homo), more lyrical Weezy,

I really don't think Drake is on the same level lyrically as Wayne. But, that's just me.

Don't get me wrong, I like the dude a lot. I just hate comparisons, in general.
February 14, 2009 @ 11:31 AM
ChicaGo-Getter

I was born in Toronto, Canada and have lived here all my life. And I can tell you that people would be in shock to find americans discussing one of Toronto's own emcees in this capacity... whether it was good or bad feedback. I was never a huge Drake fan but always gave him credit because he knows how to stand out from the crowd. At times he can be wishy-washy and sound like an imitator of other artists but one thing he ever forgets is where he is from.

It's just sad that you guys don't know about the depth of lyrical talent coming out of Toronto besides Drake... because he isn't the only one. Up here he is considered one of the newbies, look out for other guys like Shad K, Saukrates, Mathematik, Tona, Marvel, Theology 3, and a few others. They may not have Drake's money or connections so they won't ever have as much impact but they most definitely are as potent with lyricism and use of metaphor.. don't sleep.

Trust me no one else in Toronto will be able to appeal to Americans like Drake. Not even Kardi. He's just the perfect mix between everything we like from our artists. He's lyrical but knows how to make GOOD songs. He has mainstream appeal but is loved by the underground. He's got the bitches from Degrassi and the dudes cuz he has personality. I think his Memphis roots have a lot to do with it as well. But he's the only ***** in Toronto worth mentioning. Well, at least in the states.
February 14, 2009 @ 11:32 AM
JayLovesPinays

Wayne is acting as Drake's mentor because he knows & sees that Drake has a lot of potential. When Drake first came out, things didn't work out that well for him. He was independent, and didn't have a lot of guidance. Then, he hooked up with Wayne, and I believe it's safe to say, that Wayne showed him the ropes. I don't really hear the similarity between the two artists, but I guess it might be there.
As far as lyricism, I think it's there with Drake. He IS NOT very lyrical though. A lot of his shit, I believe will not amaze you, it's just the way he says it (if that makes sense). His flow is very relaxed, and when I hear him rap, I hear a lot of confidence. That's why I listen to Drake. The singing is not really his best talent, but he's ok. And imo, Comeback Season > So Far Gone > Room For Improvement.
February 14, 2009 @ 11:34 AM
SantoAngelo

I really don't think Drake is on the same level lyrically as Wayne. But, that's just me.

Don't get me wrong, I like the dude a lot. I just hate comparisons, in general.

Yeah I know, I do too, but I did my best to try it. I see Drake as greater lyricists than Wayne. I think Wayne see's Drake as a more lyrical artist. If someone told me that Drake was writing Wayne's shit I wouldnt be suprised (not that I think that's the case or that it's ever been, so take that for hypothetical value).

What I meant when I said, "Drake is potentially everything that Weezy could be" was that I see that potential in Drake, but I know Wayne does too. He said personally that all the youngins of Young Money are better than him. I definitely think Drake fits that description. fixed.

Like when Wayne hung with Little Brother on a song. It was dope because it was Wayne on a song with Little Brother, but could he hang with Little Brother lyrically. I don't think so, but I think Drake could. I digress, becuase what I said is that he has potential. How everything plays out only time will tell. I am not demeaning Lil' Wayne becuase whether anyone likes it or not 2008 was his, and that's a moment in the Hip Hop timeline no one can take away from him. Not only that but 2009 is looking the same way for him.
February 14, 2009 @ 11:40 AM
sh3liqu3

Song for song I think, Comeback Season > So Far Gone.
February 14, 2009 @ 11:45 AM
todrunk2walk

Drake - Uptown (feat. Lil Wayne & Bun B) [Original]
www.zshare.net/download/55619374266fe2d6/

wayne on the hook on this one.
February 14, 2009 @ 12:12 PM

Inactive

Yeah I know, I do too, but I did my best to try it. I see Drake as greater lyricists than Wayne. I think Wayne see's Drake as a more lyrical artist. If someone told me that Drake was writing Wayne's shit I wouldnt be suprised (not that I think that's the case or that it's ever been, so take that for hypothetical value).

What I meant when I said, "Drake is potentially everything that Weezy could be" was that I see that potential in Drake, but I know Wayne does too. He said personally that [SIZE="5"]all the youngins of Young Money where better than him. I agree[/SIZE] and I definitely think Drake fits that description.

Like when Wayne hung with Little Brother on a song. It was dope because it was Wayne on a song with Little Brother, but could he hang with Little Brother lyrically. I don't think so, but I think Drake could. But I digress, becuase what I said is that he has potential. How everything plays out only time will tell. I am not deeming Lil' Wayne becuase whether anyone likes it or not 2008 was his, and that's a moment in the Hip Hop timeline no one can take away from him. Not only that but 2009 is looking the same way for him.

wat?
February 14, 2009 @ 12:14 PM
SantoAngelo

^^^^^ I fucked the fucked up. I agree that Drake is, is what I should have put, but i didn't want to over-praise the guy. My fault.
February 14, 2009 @ 12:20 PM
dalek

What I meant when I said, "Drake is potentially everything that Weezy could be" was that I see that potential in Drake, but I know Wayne does too. He said personally that all the youngins of Young Money where better than him. I agree and I definitely think Drake fits that description.

Like when Wayne hung with Little Brother on a song. It was dope because it was Wayne on a song with Little Brother, but could he hang with Little Brother lyrically. I don't think so, but I think Drake could. But I digress, becuase what I said is that he has potential. How everything plays out only time will tell. I am not deeming Lil' Wayne becuase whether anyone likes it or not 2008 was his, and that's a moment in the Hip Hop timeline no one can take away from him. Not only that but 2009 is looking the same way for him.

I feel you for the most part. Definitely, right now, Drake is a better lyricist than Wayne. But, 2 or 3 years ago? Drake isn't on that level yet, IMO.

And I'm not arguing how big Drake will become. I've been telling my friends for a while now to look out for him. I mean... you know you're a good rapper if you haven't even had an official album release and people are already comparing you to Lil Wayne.
February 14, 2009 @ 12:26 PM
Seung-hui Cho

This sucks, comeback season > this
February 14, 2009 @ 12:28 PM

Inactive

I didnt really like the R&B parts on Comeback Season truthfully. I really like them on here. So I only listened to the rap section of CS while I listen to this mixtape the whole way through. Therefore...

So Far Gone > Comeback Season.
February 14, 2009 @ 12:28 PM
TStyles

Aight so you lost the argument, becuase like I been saying the whole time your shit was weaker than the SB vs Bow wow beef. Go read my shit. I don't have to justify that, when I said in my post I'm could be considered spam, but I was waiting for the joint so fuck it. Plus if you don't want to go to my site, I got a link directly to the joint. I been dropping music for HB members way before I even got a website. Now I got a website, and I want to build up the views there isnt a crime in that.

If someone where to search for the tape in the future on HB forums, they would know which thread had the mixtape with a download link, and they would see it right at the top. Starting a new thread once a project has been released is just good etiquette, But you don't seem to think that way, which is cool to each their own.

Now i feel like were really bringing second hand argument to readers of this thread, so let it be. From my side its deaded cause this thread should be about the project, and not about two guys ranting about posting a new thread. At the end of the day whether it was for reasons of "spam", organization, or sheer ignorance you would feel the way you feel becuase there was already a thread, which may very well be true. However, for reasons out of my control this thread is the one people rocked with.

fin.

i agree. back to the discussion. Love the mixtape. November 18th has been on repeat since i downloaded.
February 14, 2009 @ 12:33 PM
SantoAngelo

This should have been called an EP. It wasnt very mixtape like, especially in the sense that he didnt jump on other people's beats at all.

So Far Gone > Comeback season

However, track's and beats like "Don't You Have A Man" is what I miss the most, but I think that side of Drake is gone now.
February 14, 2009 @ 12:33 PM
Seung-hui Cho

Looks like WGIFC Vol 2. will still have the title of best mixtape all time.
February 14, 2009 @ 12:37 PM
JayLovesPinays

Best tracks imo, in order from favorite to least favorite.

Houstatlantavegas
A Night Off (ft. Lloyd)
Best I Ever Had
Successful (ft. Lil' Wayne & Trey Songz)
Uptown (ft. Lil' Wayne & Bun B)
The Calm
Ignant Shit
November 18th
Say What's Real
Lust For Life
Sooner Than Later
Little Bit RMX (ft. Lykke Li)
Unstoppable (ft. Lil Wayne & Santogold)
Brand New
Lets Call It Off

Please login first to reply.