Get 15% Off + Free Shipping on Orders over $150 - Use Code: EPICSUMMER
February 14, 2009 @ 12:38 PM

Inactive

Theres a few beats where he jumped on other peoples beats such as...Ignant shit = Jay-z's Ignorant SHit...Unstopable = Santigold's beat...Say Waht's Real = Kanye beat...Lyke Li...ect..
February 14, 2009 @ 12:38 PM
K BOOG

I don't necessarily think that Wayne wants to be like Drake. But, I do think that Wayne sees a more accessible version of himself in Drake, that's why I think he's welcomed him into his fold. Also, I think though is that Drake has adopted allot of Wayne's patterns and styles and adopted them to a less eccentric flow pattern.

For example, Wayne has a way of rapping in a stream of consciousness and fitting together loose metaphors and the result comes out like a long form rambling verse from an entertaining drug addict. Drake also has this way of shooting off in a thousand directions but his brain is probably less encumbered by a haze of codeine so his verses are more cohesive. Now...I don't necessarily think this makes Drake better or worse, just different. Its almost like a non crazy person's interpretation of Wayne's music. Also, the singing aspect is there too. WHile Wayne croaks his singing out more for effect and feeling...Drake actually croons like a R&B singer. They both utlize autotune which to tell u the truth rappers weren't really using after Wayne. Sure, T-pain brought it to this generation but after wayne started using it on every verse it just spread. Also instead of riding the beat Wayne makes the beat come to him. He has a different flow for every verse and every beat and Drake does that as well.

So yeah...there are similarities. If you go back and listen to Drake's earlier stuff his flow wasnt as much like Wayne as it is now. It was more straight forward and less likely to veer off into 100 different lanes like Wayne. Love or hate Wayne he has at least made allot of different artists more adventurous. Im under the impression if Carter 3 wouldnt have been this hodgepodge of conceptual scattered brain rapping and singing that Kanye would have never dropped such an ambitious album as 808s and Heartbreak. Shit, Im even hearing Jay-z using a Jamaican patois and more of a sing songy flow that he hasnt really utilized as much before.

great way to put it.

i dont have the mixtape yet, but 'IGNORANT SHIT' has me so hyped. i cant stop playing it. after Drake murdred it I didn't think wayne would be able to do much. damn i was wrong.
February 14, 2009 @ 12:40 PM
CASHVILLE.931

fiyahh

november 18th bumppps
February 14, 2009 @ 12:40 PM
SantoAngelo

Theres a few beats where he jumped on other peoples beats such as...Ignant shit = Jay-z's Ignorant SHit...Unstopable = Santigold's beat...Say Waht's Real = Kanye beat...Lyke Li...ect..

Your shitting on me today. LOL. I'ma keep my mouth shut. I am not thinking 100% right now.
February 14, 2009 @ 12:42 PM
JayLovesPinays

Oh, and did anyone notice he reused the same beat twice on the tape? All he did was slow it down.
February 14, 2009 @ 12:42 PM
Seung-hui Cho

Mixtapes are supposed to appeal to the streets, this dosen't, but nonetheless it will be hyped because of Wayne. But still the champions of the world

yes yes yes
February 14, 2009 @ 01:45 PM
pnsho

I don't know why, but I really like the R&B-ness of A Night Off.

And yeah, I liked the R&B more on Comeback Season (Don't You Have a Man, Teach U a Lesson).
February 14, 2009 @ 02:35 PM
ReZ

meh, decent at best.
February 14, 2009 @ 03:25 PM
ChicaGo-Getter

I didnt really like the R&B parts on Comeback Season truthfully. I really like them on here. So I only listened to the rap section of CS while I listen to this mixtape the whole way through. Therefore...

So Far Gone > Comeback Season.

Exactly. I dug everything on Comeback Season but the cohesiveness of So Far Gone is bananas. Sonically it's his best mixtape to date.

Mixtapes are supposed to appeal to the streets, this dosen't, but nonetheless it will be hyped because of Wayne. But still the champions of the world

yes yes yes

LOL!!! Says who? Mixtapes are suppose to serve as a promotional tool between projects. We Got It 4 Cheap Vol. 2 is still one of the best EVER though.

This should have been called an EP. It wasnt very mixtape like, especially in the sense that he didnt jump on other people's beats at all.

So Far Gone > Comeback season

However, track's and beats like "Don't You Have A Man" is what I miss the most, but I think that side of Drake is gone now.

Lots of artist put out mixtapes with all original production. It's nothing new. Kid Cudi did it not too long ago. Plus "November 18th," "Little Bit," "Say What's Real," "Let's Call It Off," "Unstoppable," "Ignant Shit" are all industry beats.
February 14, 2009 @ 03:32 PM
ChicaGo-Getter

This should have been called an EP. It wasnt very mixtape like, especially in the sense that he didnt jump on other people's beats at all.

So Far Gone > Comeback season

However, track's and beats like "Don't You Have A Man" is what I miss the most, but I think that side of Drake is gone now.

Lots of artist put out mixtapes with all original production. It's nothing new. Kid Cudi did it not too long ago. Plus "November 18th," "Little Bit," "Say What's Real," "Let's Call It Off," "Unstoppable," "Ignant Shit" are all industry beats.
February 14, 2009 @ 04:16 PM
randomgrandeur

Lots of artist put out mixtapes with all original production. It's nothing new. Kid Cudi did it not too long ago.

If you're referring to A Kid Named Cudi, no he didn't.

kidcudi.blogspot.com/2008/10/samples-from-kid-named-cudi.html
February 14, 2009 @ 06:23 PM
unknown force.

best i ever had is my shizz cool
February 14, 2009 @ 09:00 PM
dalek

Lil Wayne murdered Ignant Shit.

I think me and you are the only ones who think that...
February 14, 2009 @ 09:02 PM
HHZ

he didn't kill it, but it's a flash of old wayne.

cassidy - get mo money feat. wayne

that's killin it.
February 14, 2009 @ 10:06 PM
HHZ

yes

pre-carter III

even pre-carter II

that was wayne in his lyrical prime
February 14, 2009 @ 10:08 PM
dalek

Whoa... I can't believe I just read that...
February 14, 2009 @ 10:08 PM
HHZ

wow really? what music are you listening to?

you wanna play some mrs. officer and tell me thats his best song too? how far do you wanna push it? you have no idea what youre talking about if you think wayne sucked pre-carter III.

and i have to clarify. it was right before carter II and around drought III when he was in his lyrical prime.
February 14, 2009 @ 10:15 PM
HHZ

it was made to prove a point because apparently it seemed like you thought carter III was good.

if you do, then you probably shouldnt be listening to drake. it might go over your head. smile
February 14, 2009 @ 10:17 PM
randomgrandeur

Everyone's always wack before their biggest record on this forum. It appeases the pain in fans who were onto their favorite artists "first". Once you go mainstream, your pretty much dunzo.

/sarcasm
February 14, 2009 @ 10:25 PM
HHZ

i'll just ignore whether or not that was really sarcastic.

you can make that statement for the forum in general, but don't include me in it. wayne really DID suck before carter I because he didn't have a ghostwriter. his main accomplishment pre-carter I was either having 4 bars on back dat azz up, or selling x amount of records from tha block is hot (which i unfortunately bought in 7th grade). after his squad up shit, he was ok.

most rappers are, in fact, better before their first mainstream albums (i.e. lupe, jay, 50, eminem [what a horrible turn for the worst]), but there are obviously exceptions (i.e. kanye, slum village, nas).
February 14, 2009 @ 10:27 PM
HHZ

you thought a millie was good?

dr. carter was the best song on the carter III lyrically, but a millie is just wayne babbling for three verses. he is literally fucked up, gone, and babbling. nothing has any continuity. nothing is clever. that was just a shitty rap. everyone who rapped on the beat rapped better than wayne. fab, jay, curren$y, jadakiss, cory gunz... you name it. everone spit a better verse than wayne.
February 14, 2009 @ 10:33 PM
randomgrandeur

No, I was being seriously sarcastic. Once Drake goes officially mainstream, his likeness on this forum will be done. "I was on him when Room For Improvement dropped"....

And I don't understand why people expect deep shit from Wayne. He's always been babbling. That's his appeal. I would never expect a NaS type verse from him because that's not what he does. That's like going to Rick Ross and telling him to spit an "I Used To Love H.E.R."
February 14, 2009 @ 10:37 PM
HHZ

once again, over-generalizing.

thats fine if they say that, but thats not what im saying. i never said anything about expecting a deep verse from wayne. wayne had punchlines and rapped with a purpose back then. idk what you see or have been seeing or think i'm seeing, he doesnt do shit now that's remotely close to his old shit. hes too hopped off vicadin. hes not even entertaining... after carter II with all the mixtapes going into the drought III, he and his one-liners were entertaining.

on topic:
i havent heard all the album yet, but it's been damn good up through 6 (ignorant shit).
February 14, 2009 @ 10:38 PM
Juki

meh, decent at best.

Yea, wats all the hype about. Kid Cudi>Drake as a rapper/singer. Drake can sing better though. He'd be a good R&B artist.

Doubleclutchhoops.com

February 14, 2009 @ 10:39 PM
HHZ

nah.

lyrically, drake > cudi. cudi is sick because he's cudi. he has a particular appeal and swag about him.
February 14, 2009 @ 10:51 PM
Juki

hmmm I gotta hear more of Drakes stuff but if Drake couldn't sing I dont know
what he be. I like his versatility though, just like Kudi's but he comes off as more of a singer to me.

Doubleclutchhoops.com

February 14, 2009 @ 11:16 PM
yungm

Uptown will be on repeat tonight
February 14, 2009 @ 11:39 PM
SantoAngelo

thats fine if they say that, but thats not what im saying. i never said anything about expecting a deep verse from wayne. wayne had punchlines and rapped with a purpose back then. idk what you see or have been seeing or think i'm seeing, he doesnt do shit now that's remotely close to his old shit. hes too hopped off vicadin. hes not even entertaining... after carter II with all the mixtapes going into the drought III, he and his one-liners were entertaining.

on topic:
i havent heard all the album yet, but it's been damn good up through 6 (ignorant shit).

Cool I'd like a list of your favorite Wayne songs, becuase around that era if I'm correct "Fireman" made me hate Wayne, so I kinda over looked the guy.
February 14, 2009 @ 11:42 PM
AfrocentricPatrick

on topic:

thank you, anyone who can't get that really hasnt been listening to that type of hiphop/rap for very long or else totally missed that old wayne shit that I miss more than anything. Cash Money hits during the summer man, thats what life was about.
February 14, 2009 @ 11:45 PM
SantoAngelo

I bumped that Drizzy all the way through today, the whole thing is solid.

Please login first to reply.