July 30, 2008 @ 11:59 PM
zurejwen

Has anyone been to this shit?

How has it been so far? Anyone been to this year and last year?

Last year was crazy, first time I ever been to a Rock The Bells show, I went to the one at Randalls Island. I'm assuming the crowd will be a little more laid back this year on account of no hardcore RATM fans..I'm goin this sunday to Jones Beach, I'm expecting a dope show
July 31, 2008 @ 02:43 AM
quesadilla

can't wait, i'm hitting up the "san francisco" (shoreline in mountain view) show, i just hope doom shows up this year...
July 31, 2008 @ 12:01 PM
zurejwen

can't wait, i'm hitting up the "san francisco" (shoreline in mountain view) show, i just hope doom shows up this year...

fuck doom... his music is good but not good enough for how much he gets jocked by these underground hip-hopster faggots. Backpacking died in 1999. Sending look-alikes to your shows to lip synch for you..gimme a break.
July 31, 2008 @ 01:47 PM
Essence0

Hahaha, I was one of those hardcore RATM fans last year. I wish I was going this year but I got to work.
July 31, 2008 @ 04:13 PM
Kingkoor

I will be on the island this weekend, what other NY Hb'ers gonna be there? I'm going Sat night with a bunch of people, getting hotel rooms, leaving Monday. gonna be alot of partying going on, so lemme know whats up.
July 31, 2008 @ 06:20 PM
quesadilla

yeah well doom wasn't even on the lineup when i bought my ticket, i bought the ticket to see murs, pharcyde, a tribe called quest, meth/red, and ghost/raekwon.. doom was just kinda like cool to have added to the show if he shows up
July 31, 2008 @ 08:53 PM
jessejessej

Im gonna be there saturday for the Miami show..fucking stoked..a little sad about not seeing rakim like other cities have..i went last year and it was probably the best night of my life so we'll see how this one goes im going to see mos again and the tribeee
July 31, 2008 @ 11:26 PM
++Phil

im gong August 9th in San Bernardino

its def. going to be the best concert ive ever been to

im really lookin forward to seeing ATCQ and The Pharcyde!
July 31, 2008 @ 11:28 PM
apple eyes

I went here in MD. Shit was incredible, NaS and The Pharcyde put on an amazing show.
July 31, 2008 @ 11:32 PM
Ed.Hooligan

fuck doom... his music is good but not good enough for how much he gets jocked by these underground hip-hopster faggots. Backpacking died in 1999. Sending look-alikes to your shows to lip synch for you..gimme a break.

Co-sign. I personally think it's wack as fuck to do that...but I heard from my guy who works as a publicist and is very close w/ alot of hip-hop labels that the reason DOOM did that was a set-up to his next album. The concept is that someone stole his identity.

That may be the case. But my hypothesis is that he came up w/ that idea AFTER he tried sending the lip syncher to preform his set and it epically failed.

As for RTB '08...I went to the Chicago show and it was ill. Mos Def sucked humongous penis imo, and I love his music. It was just wack and un-energetic and weird. Method Man & Redman RIPPED it, it was the funnest half hour of the show. Technique and Dead Prez were raw, but very expected performances. Nas gave me 20 minutes to remember, every single song I wanted to hear was done. Ofcourse Tribe was out of this world.

Overall I gave this year's RTB a 8.5/10

www.soundcloud.com/EdHooligan

July 31, 2008 @ 11:36 PM
apple eyes

Damn, Nas only played for 20 minutes at Chicago?
July 31, 2008 @ 11:40 PM
Ed.Hooligan

Soemthin like that. I might've just felt that it was short cause I was so into it, but it def wasnt longer than half an hour and he was the co-headliner...I expected more. Pharcyde were up there for like an hour and shit

www.soundcloud.com/EdHooligan

August 1, 2008 @ 05:15 PM
jessejessej

mos def being wierd is the best imo last year he was singing along to old ass sampled songs here and it was soo dope
August 1, 2008 @ 05:33 PM
apple eyes

Soemthin like that. I might've just felt that it was short cause I was so into it, but it def wasnt longer than half an hour and he was the co-headliner...I expected more. Pharcyde were up there for like an hour and shit

Yeah, Mos Def felt like he was on for like 3 hours cause he was right before Nas and the anticipation made it seem long as shit.
August 1, 2008 @ 05:49 PM
Toolay

Hell yeah Ima be at the miami show tomorrow
August 3, 2008 @ 07:40 PM
125&Broadway

Yeah, Mos Def felt like he was on for like 3 hours cause he was right before Nas and the anticipation made it seem long as shit.

SMH @ me being in line for a fucking hot dog throughout all of mos def's performance but omg shit was so fuckign crazy everyone killed it except for fucking paul electronica everyone was so pumped after de la soul was out there ripping it and then he came on crying shit razz
August 3, 2008 @ 08:00 PM
apple eyes

Yeah, he was definitely dope but I just wanted to see Nas. Basically the show was perfect from Rakim to the end of the night. I didn't want to see anything befre that so I got there at like 3, although I do wish I got to see Dead Prez.
August 4, 2008 @ 02:40 AM
zurejwen

FOR THOSE WHO DONT KNOW

And for those who were there and wanna reminisce...

Tonight's Rock The Bells show at Jones Beach, NY was hands down the craziest, most amazing hip-hop show I've ever been to.. To make a long story short, it seemed like EVERY dope living MC and group from the Last 20 years of New York hip hop blessed the stage... Let's start from the beginning and move towards the climactic ending..

Let's just forget about the "second stage" completely... Only styed there for Wale and Murs.. both good sets, but then the main stage opened.

Dead Prez - After some sound issues, they took the stage and ran through their patented revolutionary-politically laced tunes, highlighted by "Turn Off The Radio" and "(Its bigger than) Hip Hop)"... good show from a
solid group.

Immortal Technique - You know, Imo Tech is take it or leave it with me. He has some good material, but i dont listen to him much. He does put on a good live show. Drops some dope accapellas, and his political and social rants in between songs were actually pretty humorous this time.

De La Soul - This is the first Time I had ever seen De La, and they were great. They had so much energy which I did not expect, and they got the crowd really hype, Partly because of their classic old school guests... Dres from Black Sheep came out and took us back with "Flavor of the Month" and "This or That" which the crowd went nuts for. The majority of the crowd was probly like 23-30, not as many young heads like last year, probly because of the mostly "golden age" lineup. So they appreciated a guy like Dres showin up. Then Q-tip came out to rock "Buddy" which was great, but kind of expected because Tribe was headlining. THEN, to close out the set, who comes out but Biz Markie himself, rocking "Nobody Beats The Biz" and "Just a Friend", which had the entire crowd singing along.

The Pharcyde - This was a treat. I've never been too big of a fan, but they have their place in hip hop history, a very dope West Coast group with a completely different style than anything beign done out west at the time. And being re-united for the first time in years was very big. They sounded a bit rusty and the instrumental tracks were too lound, but it was cool to hear hits like "Passin Me By", "Runnin" and "Drop"

Raekwon and Ghostface - Standard Rae and Ghost fare. They ripped through the classics like CREAM, Can It All Be So Simple, Ice Cream, Criminology, their verses from Triumph, the usual ODB tribute by playin "Shimmy Shimmy Ya". But they also rocked some less widely known tracks but some of my favorites like "Knowledge God" and "Rainy Dayz". I always got love for the Wu, and Rae and Ghost are two of the Clan's best live acts, so this was a good set.

Mos Def - I think Mos was late, there was about a 40 minute wait before his set and he basically ran on stage still wearin his jacket and backpack and started rocking. And rock he did. He has mad energy, didn't sing TOO much (which he tends to do) and made up for bein late by playin for longer than his given set time, and he basically told the stage crew to fuck off when they were tellin him to wrap it up. He brought out Talib Kweli to do the Black Star thing as expected, which was dope. Crowd was really feelin it. Then they brought the house down by bringin out Pharoah Monch and he screamed through "Simon Says". Crazy

Method Man and Redman Consistenly, two of the best performers in hip hop history. They had the crowd goin absolutely nuts. Crazy energy! I love seein these dudes live rockin the mic. In the middle of their set they brought out EPMD nd Eric and Parrish did "You Gotsta Chill". And with the show being in Long Island, this was a definite crowd pleaser. In between their songs, they would drop some old school beats and spit a few lines here and there..and when it came time to do "Ladi Dadi", out comes Slick Rick himself. And when they usually end their set with "Da Rockwilder", they stayed out for an encore, which turned out to be "Rapper's Delight" along with their final guest of the night, none other than Keith Murray..

NAS - So NAS comes out with a live band. And this wasn't on some Roots, chill-type live band steez, this was straight up hard rock. Which was dope at first, but they didnt do a good job at re-creating the sound of his hits from Illmatic, and a couple of the other songs he did with the band. Nas made up for it tho, with putting literally everything he had into what he was spitting, he didnt leave anything on stage. ..Anyway, so after the first few song with the band he got down to business and started rockin straight from the records, which were being spun by DJ Green Lantern . He blazes through "Nas Is Like", "Hate Me Now", "If I ruled the World", "The Message", "Made You Look".. So after a string of bangers, with basically no stopping in between theres a little pause, Nas catches his breath and takes a drink, throws on a Mets cap..and then.. the intro to "Success" starts playing and at that point the entire place musta been thinking "Wait a minute..no way.." and from behind the stage in that unmistakeable voice we hear "NAS!! Let This Bitch Breath!! and who th fuck else comes strollin onto the stage but Jay-Z, Jigga Man, Hov himself. Needless to say, the crowd is going absolutely bonkers! They rock "Success" and "Black Republicans"and then Jay makes his exit.. fucking insane, I never would have expected that at such an underground-centric show like Rock The Bells. Wow. So when the crowd (finally) calmed down, Nas closes out his set with "One Mic"

A Tribe Called Quest - The Tribe set begins with Q-Tip doin some solo stuff with Mos Def along as his hype man. He played two songs from his new album "Rennaisance". They weren't bad, but he gave the crowd what they really wanted by rockin "Vivrant Thang", "Breathe and Stop" and "Let's Ride". Cool, but definitely just an appetizer for the main course of Tribe. So when Q-tip's solo shit ends, the place goes completely dark and then you hear the famous intro to Midnight Marauders start and the place goes crazy, again. Then when the lights come on, you got all the members of Tribe on stage, for the first time in NY in 10 years! They immediately start rippin through classic after classic after classic, feelin like it was 93 all over again.. But then the real fun started when the unmistakeably Bass line of Scenario starts and then the beat drops. The song is movin along, when it's time For Busta's verse, and with all the special guests to this point, of course, here's comes Busta Rhymes like a fuckin cannonball runnin out on stage kickin his verse from Scenario, and then they go right into "Put Ya Hand where My Eyes Could See".. After that, they close the set out strong with "Check the Rhime", "Electric Relaxation" and "Award Tour"... and by the end of Award Tour a bunch more dudes came out to the stage just to party...So the whole night ended with Tribe, Busta, De La Soul, Mos Def, Kweli and Consequence all on stage together..

This was the illest show I've ever seen
August 4, 2008 @ 02:50 AM
rga125

TONIGHT WAS AMAZING ALL THE GUEST PEFORMERS WERE AMAZING especially the BIz... JAy-z was cool... I was four rows from the front, great spot, great friends, great night.
August 4, 2008 @ 10:21 AM
Kingkoor

Wild shit, I just got home, I got food poisoning and didnt get to the show in the middle of the Black Star set. Fucking dope, although for me it wasn't the best hip hop show ever. Amazing none the less.
August 4, 2008 @ 11:56 AM
FreshAddict

sounds like the ny concert was fire
the toronto concert was cool but there were long waits in between acts and shit basically wasn't very well organized. nas and mos killed it though
August 4, 2008 @ 05:31 PM
julian.

Going to the August 9 LA show.
stokeddddd.

julianxberman.tumblr.com /

August 4, 2008 @ 05:37 PM
apple eyes

Damn, I knew that was gonna happen at the NY show. I wish I went to it.

Please login first to reply.