Get 15% Off + Free Shipping on Orders over $150 - Use Code: EPICSUMMER
November 27, 2007 @ 06:39 AM

Inactive

Ok so I may be a little niave with this thread cause I know people will come in here like "Nikka u don knowz real hip hop if u don like dat albumz". Lets just get some opinions in here backed up by points and counterpoints please.

TI: TI v. TIP
I'm not a huge TI fan but I enjoy him in spurts. I think he has a great presence and a good flow. I also really enjoyed KING as one of the best albums that year. But, this was the album where ol Cliffy was on the edge of world dominance before the album came out. His popularity was at a all time high and no one else was really doing it on the level he was. The door was wide open for him to take the game. Then he anounced that his albumw ould be a concept album which got me more intrested. When he delivered it....the beats where tepid and run of the mill....the concept was lost on me cause the only difference I could see was TI wore sneakers and TIP wore loafers. Lyrically, the album was a few steps behind KING and his competitive edge seemed to have dropped...seeming comfortable with his position. The album was over hyped and absolutely nothing special.

Common: Finding Forever
Common is one of my favorite MCs of all time. The thing I always thought was a misconception about Common was hisimage of a sandal wearing, granola crunching, dashiki wearing coffee house MC. He may have run with that sect and put out that type of vibe but on the mic he was a beast. Spitting raw metaphors and battle raps rather then the "can we all just get along" "baby Im in love with u" poetry rap that I despise. However, Common seemed to fall into his own stereotype on this album. The lover man Common was in fulll effect...droping like 3 or 4 girl songs in one album (in a row mind u). The beats where generally generic minus a few tracks. Very disapointing coming off such a raw album like BE. And, he literally became a coffeehouse MC. I saw the album in starbucks. Im not sure here but i think that an album with "Bitch in You" wouldnt be next to a James Taylor acoustic live album.
November 27, 2007 @ 07:51 AM
magneticman

hip-hop in general tbh, very, very slack year imo

obviously there are a couple of gems, but other than that - nothing

for the first time ever, my top 3 albums of the year do not contain hip-hop, for now.
November 27, 2007 @ 08:25 AM

Inactive

I actually thought some great hip hop albums dropped this year. Kwelis "eardrum", Jay-zs "American Gangster", Kanye "Graduation", Prodigys "Return of The Mac", Marco Polos "Port Authority"...where all stellar...and Im sure im forgetting a few...5 dope albums in hip hop current climate isnt bad at all.
November 27, 2007 @ 08:41 AM
smak

Co-sign on both TI and Common. I havn't heard 8 Diagrams yet, but I have a feeling that I will be dissapointed. sad
November 27, 2007 @ 09:20 AM
goatfacekillah

8 diagrams was a disappointment

and same two albums for me too
November 27, 2007 @ 09:38 AM
MeccaDon718

Well since this doesn't only concern albums, one of the biggest disappointments of 07' is these rappers caught on video/radio talking straight nonsense while intoxicated. With Havoc caught slipping saying a few words to Kanye ("Eat a dick !"), Saigon giving a female disc jockey the business 9"Shut the fu*k up !"), Ghostface & Raekwon airing out Wu-Tang's dirty laundry (wasn't they mad at U-God for doing the same thing ?!), & Cam'Ron's "beach house" (he HAD to be twisted recording some shy like that ! lol). Of course this isn't the first time this is happen, but now its like every week there's new footage of a hip-hop artist acting a fool lol
November 27, 2007 @ 10:37 AM
stef_charle

I can't agree with finding forever being a disappointed. I haven't listened to Ti vs TIP much but it was nothing special from what i heard.

As far as 8 Diagrams goes it seems that most people are disappointed but i was overall pleased with it. I think most people that don't like it are comparing it to prior albums which i try not to do. Just like everything else music evolves and the Wu has been through a lot of stuff since the last album and a lot has changed. I think the albums good overall and not disappointed but to each his own.
November 27, 2007 @ 03:43 PM
Brick James

Well since this doesn't only concern albums, one of the biggest disappointments of 07' is these rappers caught on video/radio talking straight nonsense while intoxicated. With Havoc caught slipping saying a few words to Kanye ("Eat a dick !"), Saigon giving a female disc jockey the business 9"Shut the fu*k up !"), Ghostface & Raekwon airing out Wu-Tang's dirty laundry (wasn't they mad at U-God for doing the same thing ?!), & Cam'Ron's "beach house" (he HAD to be twisted recording some shy like that ! lol). Of course this isn't the first time this is happen, but now its like every week there's new footage of a hip-hop artist acting a fool lol

add on soulja boy pissing off a roof. Sure, he isn't the greatest new rapper out, but thats no reason to do dumb shit like that.
November 27, 2007 @ 04:06 PM
pomp3o

Anyone feeling shock value?

I dunno maybe "Apologize" and "Way I Are" were just overplayed....the rest of the CD is ok. Any thoughts?
November 27, 2007 @ 05:04 PM
PeeWee

Personally I wasnt feeling Prodigy's album, I was slightly dissappointed by Common as well, but I think Hip-Hop has done well this year, with the forementioned titles by Sub, along with I'd Say Blu & Exile, Brother Ali, and Killah Priest.
November 27, 2007 @ 06:18 PM
FearItSelf

hate to bring it up in here, but if the cool is dope this year could be overall pretty good. eardrum and graduation were both dope. and In comparison to the rest of the hip hop world wu tang's new album was good. and there is still room for the cool to be great
November 27, 2007 @ 06:32 PM
pnsho

hate to bring it up in here, but if the cool is dope this year could be overall pretty good. eardrum and graduation were both dope. and In comparison to the rest of the hip hop world wu tang's new album was good. and there is still room for the cool to be great

Even if The Cool doesn't turn out to be great, I think this year was overall very good for Hip-Hop.
November 27, 2007 @ 06:45 PM
dalek

I agree with Finding Forever. Though I guess I was just expecting too much after Be.

Also, I was hoping for a lot better from Pharoahe Monch. I know a lot of people liked that album, but I hated it.

Other than that, there have been quite a few dope albums this year. Killah Priest is one of my favorite albums ever. Freeway is dope. Jay-Z was definitely better than I was expecting. Murda Mook was pretty good. Fabolous wasn't bad. I liked the Wu-Tang a lot. Lil Wayne dropped, basically, 4 albums worth of new material this year and most of it was great. Army of the Pharoahs was sick. And I'm sure there's a ton more I'm forgetting... Plus, new Styles P and Lupe are dropping soon.

Really, I don't see how you can say it was a bad year for hip hop. There was enough dope stuff to satisfy both the underground heads and the gangsta heads.
November 27, 2007 @ 09:40 PM

Inactive

Yeah that Freeway is flames. Its crazy cause befor the Freeway album i was knocking that new Jay-z and before that I was knockin the Kanye in the whip. Im really feeling the new roc resurgence.
November 27, 2007 @ 10:54 PM
SoleFresh87

It's only a disappointment if you expected greatness haha

Thank you for that comment , that should be written in Gold Letters , alot of albums didnt catch my eye , well ears , this year ..i didnt cop American Gangsta , or Curtis , or Shock Value , think albums that dont get alot of publicty or attention are majority of the time great albums like Cassidy didnt hear alot about that so i guess it must be good ...idk thats just me , really i see my self backtracking to the ol school rap alot ..

Instagram @g87vrse *ArtMusicFlimLife*

November 27, 2007 @ 10:57 PM

Inactive

Oh No...

The Cassidy album was terrible.
November 27, 2007 @ 11:01 PM
AfrocentricPatrick

in an opposite notion, i'm wondering did anyone dig ja rules latest effort?

I am not a ja rule fan but I thought it was one of the better albums to come out this year.
November 27, 2007 @ 11:07 PM

Inactive

Well let me check if I was serious.

yeah i think so.
November 27, 2007 @ 11:13 PM

Inactive

Cassidy had some really good songs and some really bad songs. There was no grey area. Drink and 2 step was a banger and I liked innocent and All by myself were my favs but Will never tell and take a trip were pretty bad. He should have let Swizz do the whole album like usual. Thats where I felt the album was lacking was in the beat area. He always is lyrically good, but the beats were pretty bad for the most part.

in an opposite notion, i'm wondering did anyone dig ja rules latest effort?

I am not a ja rule fan but I thought it was one of the better albums to come out this year.

Ja rule dropped an album?
November 27, 2007 @ 11:34 PM
sheepstuh

Curtis...oh wait.
November 27, 2007 @ 11:46 PM
AfrocentricPatrick

Curtis...oh wait.

The thing about 50 cent, that most of you don't understand, is that he is just so kind and gentle and soft to the touch.
November 27, 2007 @ 11:50 PM
zyezye

The thing about 50 cent, that most of you don't understand, is that he is just so kind and gentle and soft to the touch.

...WHAT? suprised
November 27, 2007 @ 11:56 PM
604_mike

Well i think one of the main problems with hip hop right now is the lack of good full albums. Alotta these "mc's" try and get one or two singles to bang on the radio/mtv and let their album coast of those. Instead of putting out all quality material theres 3/4 filler. This personally is the reason i pick up so few albums nowadays. I just dowload and burn mixes.

That being said I was not at all dissapointed in Finding Forever. You cant expect dude to be on the same tip for the rest of his life, comparing subject/material it might have been ABIT off from be. But quality wise it was right on.

TI 's i agree with pretty much everything sub said...The album has some bangers but it was nothing special. Only tip album I dont have actually.

Freeways album, well personally I dont really care for the dude. Ive listened to the album, the second song is crack. But theres something about his voice that doesnt let me enjoy his music. I do recognize hes got skills, but overall he voice is too raspy for me to get past it.

The graduation...well i dont need to up that album since everyone already knows it was fire.

Bars..I thought cassidy actually deserves some credit for this album, drink and my two step was one of my favorite get "crunk" tracks of the year. Like someone said earlier i think half the songs are great, and the other half dont really deserve a listen.

I also picked up two G unit albums this year...LLoyd Banks, and Young Buck. LLoyd's was terrible. I think the cd has like 20 tracks with under 5 that are any good. Not a good look. Mr ten a key though, made a solid album. It isnt anything you wouldnt expect from him as far as subject. But i thought it was 15 bucks well spent.

As far as other cd's this year....well im dissapointed that Paul Wall didnt switch it up and stop talking bout getting thowed, posted up with that purp stuff in my cup. I didnt listen to this album but i liked his first one. I cant think of what other i even picked up this past year...
November 28, 2007 @ 12:00 AM
chemi

Devin the Dude
November 28, 2007 @ 01:06 AM

Inactive

TI cannot do anything but suck. Finding Forever was boring. Cassidy is a joke.

if anybody says anything else about prodigy I will rock in you in your face.
November 28, 2007 @ 02:31 AM
zyezye

just listening to wu tangs new album 8 Ds...

it sounds so flat... like an empty eggshell. like im not really feelin this
only the ODB special... wth happened to the wu?
November 28, 2007 @ 03:32 AM
Rimbauldi

I heard the new Yanni album got sum nice beats.
November 28, 2007 @ 10:14 AM
AfrocentricPatrick

I heard the new Yanni album got sum nice beats.

Yanni go hard as fuck. I heard he is beefin with a few libraries and a coffee shop tho.
November 28, 2007 @ 10:54 AM
StrghtCshHMY

I'm still laughing as I type this!

TI cannot do anything but suck. Finding Forever was boring. Cassidy is a joke.

if anybody says anything else about prodigy I will rock in you in your face.

Return of the Mac was P's best work in years. Did you listen to it, or did you just assume that since he has degenerated into basuda, that ROTM was going to be no different?

I enjoy him in spurts.

Do you really? lol
November 28, 2007 @ 03:03 PM
extrodinaire

in my opinion Common's lp was not a dissapointment, but actually one of the top releases of the year. I do however, agree with subs comments about him being a "lover boy"...but then again he had Southside,Start the show, People, Game, and that joint with lilly allen that were all just fire!! don't know how any hip hop fan can sleep on those joints. Kweli's was album was decent he definitely had some bangers on their, but he also had some lackluster joints with boring beats...and this album proves why madlib is one of the illest most slept on producers out their. American Gangster and Graduation are easily holding the crown for top releses this year so far...both Jay and Kanye really brought it..and although ye's album is not as good as dropout,or late registration it is still a damn good lp. Phroah Monch's desire has got to be the biggest upset for me...dude took forever to hit us with another solo, and it was average at best!...i was especially disappointed because they hyped it up as this conceptual tour de force...but it was boring and the beats didn't match Pharoah's style. Other disapointments were Little brother, Beanie, and Wu tang's albums, theirs still ghost's album left to drop, as well as Lupe i'm looking forward to those.

Please login first to reply.