FLASH SALE - 25% OFF - USE CODE: FLASH25 (25 HOURS ONLY)
September 12, 2007 @ 09:57 PM
damnwitless1

As much as I hate to sound like a trendy hipster I've gotta say that I like a lot of the old Danzig-era Misfits stuff. So My answer is either them or the Germs, who I've been getting into a lot lately as well

All I do is smoke weed and listen to MF DOOM innercitykidsmusic.com

September 13, 2007 @ 12:45 AM
FULLER

Punk meaning what? Like, in terms of "punk rock music" (loud, fast, some would say nonsensical) or rebellious, socially conscious music?

My gut says The Clash. I'd love to say At The Drive In or Refused, but I know that's not true.
September 13, 2007 @ 07:04 AM
CHEEP

tough one. ill give you my top 5.

ramones
buzzcocks
clash
richard hell and the voidoids
johnny thunder and the heartbreakers
September 13, 2007 @ 07:07 AM

Inactive

The Clash
September 13, 2007 @ 12:16 PM
damnwitless1

Bad Brains FTW

But Really your musical opinion is not valid at all.

you are a faggot>sad Stop followng me from thread to thread you dickriding homo. You've made your point, you're too good to listen to music that most people like it, I get it, now go suck someone elses dick.

September 13, 2007 @ 12:17 PM
PAVED

Simple Plan was when they first came out.
September 13, 2007 @ 01:09 PM

I'm not a huge punk fan, but i'd have to say The Clash. I think they appeal to true punk fans and their music is digestible to the masses.
September 13, 2007 @ 01:27 PM
Juan

^ BB are one of the greatest punk bands of all time. They are one of the pioneers of true hardcore everyone from Minor Threat(and the whole early 80s DC scene) to the Beasties say theyre they best HC band of all time.

Anyways this hard, but I'll go with my favorites:
Minor Threat
The Velvet Underground (if they count)
September 13, 2007 @ 01:29 PM
damnwitless1

I knew this topic would just be a bunch of homo's who really don't like punk music. If you are saying Bad Brains or Germs or anything like that, you are dead wrong. They are great bands, but nowhere near the best. Without Darby Crash the germs aren't shit.

Well I obviously wasn't talking about the Shane West germs...And my answer was the Misfits anyway

September 13, 2007 @ 01:32 PM
CHEEP

I knew this topic would just be a bunch of homo's who really don't like punk music. If you are saying Bad Brains or Germs or anything like that, you are dead wrong. They are great bands, but nowhere near the best. Without Darby Crash the germs aren't shit.

I would have to say Crass/Conflict. They stood for everything that was/is punk, they weren't afraid to make their presence known, and they were grunge punk without all the grunge.

what do you reccomend by them... i wanna download something now.

crass is actually my girlfriends favorite band.
September 13, 2007 @ 01:32 PM
dagig

punks arent all dead yet?
September 13, 2007 @ 01:34 PM
CHEEP

most of the good ones are...

joe strummer, joey ramone, johnny thunders, etc... R.I.P.
September 13, 2007 @ 01:36 PM
dagig

i mean the culture as a whole
punks turned into emos in california
September 13, 2007 @ 01:38 PM
CHEEP

the "culture" has been dead since 78. once hardcore came about punk was over. hardcore killed it.

anyways, it was always more of a fashion statement than anything... at least once the uk started up with it. malcom mclaren and viv westwood basicly took richard hells style, started selling it in SEX(mclaren and westwoods shop), outfitted the sex pistols in the clothes, and then the rest of the london scene. then once that happened, LA saw it and did what LA does.... destroys cluture.

ive always liked the NY scene... 74-78 or so. much more musical and diverse.
September 13, 2007 @ 01:57 PM
damnwitless1

I seriously doubt that you know more about hip-hop. Like i have stated plenty of times unless you were around during the late 80's early 90's its pretty hard to have a clear understanding of what hip hop was. From the bubble jacket to the Big Headphones to underground record stores. It was a culture that doesnt exist anymore. And yea you can go back and listen to the music but to be around at the time is totaly different.

Translation: Let me cover up my ignorance by trying to portray someone with a wider taste and knowledge of music than myself as ignorant.

September 13, 2007 @ 02:04 PM
southwest54

did fkn read what I wrote I didnt say shit about somebodys taste in music im talkin when u get into the greatest band ever thing that should really be reserved for some one who was around at the time.
September 13, 2007 @ 02:24 PM
Gmas

Simple Plan was when they first came out.

A few of the guys were actually in a REALLY GOOD punk band that was the same style as all that later 90's Fat Wreck/Epitaph stuff before Simple Plan called Reset; well respected. Would have been really young at the time, probably 16-ish. Put out two really good CD's called No Worries and No Limits.

I guess they just wanted money.

My fav Punk Band is Bad Religion by far.
September 13, 2007 @ 02:27 PM
CHEEP

I'm waiting for you to discover "Tago Mago" by Can and then have an attitude about it on here haha

is it time for a prog rock thread on hypebeast?
September 13, 2007 @ 02:42 PM
damnwitless1

I'd appreciate that, at least so I can up my prog knowledge fom more than just Yes, Krafterwerk and David Bowie

September 13, 2007 @ 02:53 PM
CHEEP

oh, i dont know shit about it... i have lots of friends that are into it tho...
September 13, 2007 @ 02:55 PM
PAVED

A few of the guys were actually in a REALLY GOOD punk band that was the same style as all that later 90's Fat Wreck/Epitaph stuff before Simple Plan called Reset; well respected. Would have been really young at the time, probably 16-ish. Put out two really good CD's called No Worries and No Limits.

I guess they just wanted money.

My fav Punk Band is Bad Religion by far.

It's funny because I was totally kidding.sad
September 13, 2007 @ 03:15 PM
slsk.

The Clash
Black Flag
The Stooges
Ramones
September 13, 2007 @ 03:37 PM

Inactive

Im going with pennywise cause they were like the first punk band I actually really liked. Even though alot of their songs alike.
September 13, 2007 @ 03:47 PM
MisfitProdigy

i can't say they are the greatest, but my favorite is the Misfits
September 13, 2007 @ 03:51 PM
soniknirve

voidoids ftw.
ege bamyasi for the prog win.
September 13, 2007 @ 07:32 PM
Evgraf

when i listened to punk i was really in to like circle jerks, dead kennedys, exploited, the adicts, minor threat

http://cavalieressentials.com/

September 14, 2007 @ 09:58 AM
Primo?

Dead kennedys are good!
September 17, 2007 @ 10:41 AM
reggan

blink 182, simple plan, sum 41, good charlotte and that kind of MTV shit ain't punk, that is just something emo/pop/wannabe punk crap.

The best punkband was the ramones, and sex pistols!
I dont know if I can count dropkick murphys as a punk band, but if I can, they're the best!

http://juicydistortion.tumblr.com/

September 17, 2007 @ 11:43 AM
owensA

my fav is the Clash, but they're punk and then so much more, they really didn't restrict their sound and went far beyond the sound of traditional punk.

The Ramones of course are the definitive punk band

Operation Ivy (very ska but still very punk).

Dead Kennedys are classic of course

Always been into the whole Lower East Side bands (Choking Victim, Leftover Crack, INDK). Not my fav or the best punk bands but they defiantly had their own style.

Never liked Crass or Conflict, not into the real hardcore side of punk as much plus they tend to have a very discordant sound IMO.

And yeah, Dropkick are definately punk. The Sex Pistols were good and all in terms of style and had some classic tunes but they really weren't especially talented (sid vicious couldnt even play the bass)
September 18, 2007 @ 06:51 AM
CHEEP

yeah... you all need to get some richard hell in your life. and some johnny thunders. every one else was just trying to be them.

Please login first to reply.