Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
July 5, 2007 @ 09:53 PM

Inactive

let's dig a lil deeper...shall we?

My vote goes to Main Source.....Brand Nube is the shit. Grand Puba is the man, but when you think of it, he was never an REAL member of the group. I mean he had already recorded with MC. He was a lot older than Sadat X and Lord Jamar. And he was able to hold his own when he went solo. He sorta out-shined the guys. The music was great. But, Main Source seemed more like a group effort on Breakin' Atoms. And even though they didnt last, I still think they made the most music in the little time they were on the map. Big ups to Large Pro, as well.
July 5, 2007 @ 10:31 PM

voted brand nubian just cuz i liked puba's solo shit AND i sweated in god we trust, which i think is a testament to the talent all around...

btw...if u voted main source? why no votes for em in the poll?
July 6, 2007 @ 12:20 AM
Beez

i digz main source more just because they were underrated and just plain dope.

brand nubian to me was too afrocentric imo, take no offense.

twitter @brandohnn findme. injc*

July 6, 2007 @ 12:22 AM
Beez

i digz main source more just because they were underrated and just plain dope.

brand nubian to me was too afrocentric imo, take no offense.

July 6, 2007 @ 01:50 AM
xcamx

dig them both but like main source slightly more than brand nubian
July 6, 2007 @ 08:12 AM
Kfisher

For me, it's Main Source for the win. Why?

-Breaking Atoms will always be a classic
-Large Professor has top notch beats
-They helped propel Nas' career
-2 of the members are from T-dot
July 6, 2007 @ 09:10 AM

Inactive

Come on now. Main Source, had one, count em one good album "Breaking Atoms" after that they fell off the face of the earth and then dropped which was a horrible album "Fuck What You Think"...heard of it? You haven't? Proves my point.

On the other hand Brand Nubian is one of the first groups that started the whole "alternative hip hop" genre. Sadat X is still fucking dope and Grand Puba was witty and dope. And unlike Main Source you can actually name more then one album and more then one single that mad the group dope. "Slow Down" is a undeniable classic. Sadat X kills "All For One". "Wake up" is dope too. This is all on thier first album btw "One For All".

And then thier second album "In God We Trust". They went from 5 percenter rhetoric to full on aggresive ass kicking music. Have u heard "Punks Jump Up"??? The beat on "Love me Or Leave Me alone"? And to top it off thier 1997 renunion album was over looked dope as hell and released with thier integrity intact in the middle of the shiny suit era.

A group with 2 classic albums a dope come back album, Sadat Xs and Pubas dope solo shit vs. a group thats more well known for having the first Nas recording on wax and one dope album before self destructing? This wasnt that close for me.
July 6, 2007 @ 10:22 AM

^^ also, on god we trust they dropped a track like Allah U Akbar AND Pass the Gat, it takes BALLS to drop two tracks like that on the same album
July 6, 2007 @ 10:44 AM

Inactive

word...slanging bean pies and guns in the same album a fixture of the early 90s.
July 6, 2007 @ 09:34 PM

Inactive

"punks jump up" is my shit
July 6, 2007 @ 10:22 PM
Beez

Brand Nubian was wack.

imma just say it anyone's face.

July 6, 2007 @ 10:27 PM

Inactive

oooooo what a bad ass!
July 6, 2007 @ 10:30 PM
Beez

ahahahah.

to me they were boring and too afrocentric to add the cherry on top.

July 6, 2007 @ 10:34 PM

Inactive

If "too afrocentric" is criteria for u not liking a group. Im guessing you disliked most of the golden era then.
July 6, 2007 @ 10:49 PM
Beez

KRS said HipHop is not for blacks only it's for everyone.

And the golden era was not mostly afrocentric.

July 6, 2007 @ 11:00 PM

Inactive

I would never get into an argument proclaiming who or what hip hop is cuz I always thought that kind of rhetoric was stupid. But, I will say that talking about subjects that effect your community including pride in that community aka being afrocentric doesnt define hip hop or make the artist good or bad but its simply a subject matter that the artist wishes to take and its not being discriminatory or alienating any race. I cant tell you how many MORE whites and asians I saw at the Brand Nubian concert when they did a brief tour for thier reunion in the late 90s. If a artist is dope he's dope, but to act like afrocentrisim wasnt a huge part of the golden era with MCs including KRS-One teaching black empowerment and issues specifically dealing with the black community then you gotta go back and listen again. I never said the golden era was all afrocentric, but then again i could make a long list of MCs from that time period that identified themselves as such...but u get the point.

But I dont see how someone can see this as a artist simply making it for black people or a reason not to like a group simply cuz they are dealing with issues that concern them directly. If Brand Nubian is to afrocentric, then the same theory can be used for The Clash as being "Eurocentric" for talking about topics and issues that they have to deal with being in London. But, its hardly looked at it like that is it? Rather we look at it as it should be looked at as...great music.
July 6, 2007 @ 11:12 PM
Beez

i got Pwn3d.

July 6, 2007 @ 11:15 PM

Inactive

Nah, my response was way to boring and too afrocentric to add the cherry on top. smile
July 6, 2007 @ 11:20 PM
Beez

Tusche good ol chap. Pardon me but do you have any grey poupon?

July 6, 2007 @ 11:32 PM

Inactive

July 7, 2007 @ 12:27 AM

Inactive

after listening to in god we trust, i think i wanna reconsider my vote!
July 7, 2007 @ 07:39 AM
MeccaDon718

Brand Nubian hands down ! "One For All" is an all time classic & "Foundation" was just straight ill !
July 8, 2007 @ 02:27 PM

subculture....converting the masses one thread at a time
July 8, 2007 @ 08:28 PM
The Cool Kid

Breaking atoms is one of the dopest albums...I love brand nubian but gotta go with main source here
July 8, 2007 @ 08:30 PM
bigsink

Brand Nubian wins. Why? because throughout the 90s you heard them on the radio in NYC. They were half-mainstream yet still dope as hell!!

Have a reunion with the 25-30yr old crowd and throw on some Nubian i bet you everyone will sing along even the girls who don't even like hip hop anymore.
July 8, 2007 @ 11:32 PM
Beez

subculture....converting the masses one thread at a time

if he was, don't you think brand nubian would be ahead in the poll by now? cmon boyeeeeeeee

July 9, 2007 @ 12:55 PM

I meant converting them to Judaism...

the post was a reference to the WDYPTT thread, "Who Did you Pray to Today"
July 9, 2007 @ 01:00 PM

Inactive

lmao!
July 10, 2007 @ 07:44 PM
mykechek1212

brand nubian is a great group and sadat x is ill as it can get, but main source helped that kid from queensbridge get his. breaking atoms and fuck what you think are both some classic albums. plus large professor is a monster on beats
July 10, 2007 @ 09:58 PM
PeeWee

Breaking Atoms.

Please login first to reply.