January 12, 2014 @ 08:02 PM
Shrooms God

List below. A brief explanation would be entertaining. I'll start. 

1. Yeezus by Kanye West 
   "It was more of an creative art piece, more than a musical album. His Yeezus Tour was a representation of that. Didn't like it my first play through. Started to love and appreciate what he was trying to do after I read and seen a couple interviews. Not even gonna lie, I'm sort of bias because Kanye's my favorite artist. I don't give a shit. I still loved it. Plus I had my best shroom trips to it."

2. Nothing Was The Same by Drake
   "Very solid. Quality production. A more seasoned and mature Drake. Structure and content was better than Take Care. It's Drake Season."

3. Watching Movies With The Sound Off by Mac Miller 
   "Almost was gonna make this one number one. Mac was the only artist this year that surprised the fuck out of me. Chilling with Earl and Odd Future must have lit a fire under his ass to step it up and he did. Fucking ascended to great lyrical levels. This album was everything during the summer. Mac really progressed nicely from Kool Aid And Frozen Pizza. And that Fly Lo track? Filthy."

4. Wolf by Tyler, The Creator 
   "He's came a long way. Never liked Tyler until Goblin/Radicals, but I've been down with OF for a while. Mainly because I saw no substance. He knew what he wanted to say but not how to word it. This album exerted just that. He was SO personable to me on this shit. Everything was grade A and that's why I respect his genius. IFHY was a beautifully directed video. Treehome, Answer, Slater, Bimmer were some of my favorites as well."

5. Because The Internet by Childish Gambino
   "This album did it for me into liking Childish. Beautifully done. Not all tracks I like, but Urn, Telegraph, Shadows, Worst Guys, and especially Flight Of The Navigator sealed the deal. This album is pure fucking feels. And when I watch interviews and read the script on why he did it, it makes the creative vision that more respectable."
January 12, 2014 @ 10:21 PM
ryno

kendrick have a DRRRREEAAMMMM
January 12, 2014 @ 10:37 PM
chief

nothing was the same
yeezus
trap lord
magna carta
my name is my name

•••

January 13, 2014 @ 09:39 AM
cubie

Old and Blue Chips 2 the only really decent rap albums this year (s/o Juicy tho)

edit: Run the Jewels should get a mention too. 

http://last.fm/user/yourfag

January 13, 2014 @ 10:24 AM
bsquared

1. Indigoism 

2. Acid Rap

3. BetterOffDEAD

4. Trap Lord

5. Yeezus
January 13, 2014 @ 08:40 PM
Shrooms God

Most of those you mentioned aren't albums. They are mixtapes. I'll make a Top 5 Mixtapes of 2013 list some other time. 
January 13, 2014 @ 10:01 PM
phantomony

Most of those you mentioned aren't albums. They are mixtapes. I'll make a Top 5 Mixtapes of 2013 list some other time. 
theres really no point. if a mixtape is cohesive enough to be ranked with top albums, you might as well include it, because many times the project is truthfully an album, but the artist called it a mixtape because it was simply released for free rather than for sale.

as much as i thought 2013 was great musically, there weren't a lot of hip-hop albums id really consider top 5 material. id put 1. acid rap 2. yeezus 3. doris, and after that i don't know.  maybe WMWTSO, because the internet, indicud, summer knights are up there too.
January 14, 2014 @ 12:32 AM
Shrooms God

Lol, if it didn't matter, it wouldn't be "albums" or "mixtapes". I get what you're saying, but if they didn't have classifications we'd generalize everything. Albums need sales to dictate success. That's why when Complex or Pitchfork make their shitty Top whatever lists, they have to put in sales to influence their decision. Mixtapes don't do that. Just pure feels from the fans. 
January 14, 2014 @ 05:13 AM
jeanyes

this year was terrible for hip hop. wouldn't even call most of these soft ass albums "hip hop".

lol @ yeezus being #1. bunch of garbage electro mashups with that retard screaming bullshit the whole time. 
January 15, 2014 @ 01:50 AM
B.M.

Rappers throw around the term art and vision to cover their tracks from shitty music. Yeezus is shit music. Fuck outta here with the hypnotism. As for Top Albums:

1. MNIMN - Sucker for Clipse shit, regardless of how separated from the Clipse this is.

2. Magna Carta Instrumentals - Hov was the worst thing about the whole album.

3. Old - I fuck with Danny Brown, but I gotta be in the mood to actually throw a track on.

4. Trap Lord - Strictly because of "Deyaintwannadodat"

5. Who the fuck cares. 2013 sucks.

"I got smokers hitting rocks making Stevie J faces" - Quilly

January 15, 2014 @ 02:34 AM
JruPowers

(Although not listed due to being a mixtape, Acid Rap was my favorite musical project of the year)

1. My Name Is My Name - Pusha T
    I just love this album. I grew up on Clipse, so it's natural that I just love Pusha's shit. 
          Favorite Tracks: Nosetalgia (feat. Kendrick Lamar), King Push

2. Yeezus - Kanye West
    A very versatile album, in my opinion. I respect Kanye for doing this album, especially due to how different it is from My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fanasty. 

3. Doris - Earl Sweatshirt
    As his comeback/return album from his departure in Samoa, I had very high expectations for this album. Not only did it surpass those expectations, it provided a complete different experience from his first project, Earl. It really gave a personal view of his life that he wasn't showing or mature enough to display before.

4. Wolf - Tyler, The Creator
    Showed much progression from 2011's Goblin, loved Treehome and various other tracks.

5. Watching Movies With The Sound Off - Mac Miller
    After Macadelic released, I began to realize a lot of progress that Mac was beginning to show. This project signified it to me, with tracks such as Youforia/Euphoria displaying it best.
January 15, 2014 @ 02:37 AM
Shrooms God

(Although not listed due to being a mixtape, Acid Rap was my favorite musical project of the year)

1. My Name Is My Name - Pusha T
    I just love this album. I grew up on Clipse, so it's natural that I just love Pusha's shit. 
          Favorite Tracks: Nosetalgia (feat. Kendrick Lamar), King Push

2. Yeezus - Kanye West
    A very versatile album, in my opinion. I respect Kanye for doing this album, especially due to how different it is from My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fanasty. 

3. Doris - Earl Sweatshirt
    As his comeback/return album from his departure in Samoa, I had very high expectations for this album. Not only did it surpass those expectations, it provided a complete different experience from his first project, Earl. It really gave a personal view of his life that he wasn't showing or mature enough to display before.

4. Wolf - Tyler, The Creator
    Showed much progression from 2011's Goblin, loved Treehome and various other tracks.

5. Watching Movies With The Sound Off - Mac Miller
    After Macadelic released, I began to realize a lot of progress that Mac was beginning to show. This project signified it to me, with tracks such as Youforia/Euphoria displaying it best.
Finally someone who's response was actually pleasant to read. Great list, man. I agree about Acid Rap.
January 15, 2014 @ 04:19 AM
Max Lancaster

No Marshall Mathers 2?
January 15, 2014 @ 08:04 AM
Jegz

MMLP2 deserves a mention for sure. NTWS most likely even though hes a soft nigga. Pusha T's MNIMN and Acid Rap at the top there for sure.

www.fadebygrey.com

January 15, 2014 @ 07:27 PM
Shrooms God

My Name Is My Name, in my opinion, was complete trash. Only 2 songs other than Numbers On The Board knocked. 
January 17, 2014 @ 01:34 AM
geri_gsx

agreed on how 2013 sucked, i would mention a few songs from the albums named above but def wouldnt take any of those albums as a masterpiece, not even a great rap work.
January 22, 2014 @ 06:23 PM
theblackjewjewreview

Eminem and Cam'ron should be on this top 5.
February 1, 2014 @ 10:45 PM
realzeke99

Definitely Em, definitely not Magna Carta.
February 2, 2014 @ 12:49 AM
mcgotkicks

Yeezus-kanye

Acid rap- chance the rapper, although it wasn't an album this shit had to be on my list. Shit is phenomenal

Nothing was the same- drake

Doris- earl

Mnimn-pusha
February 2, 2014 @ 01:28 AM
Smalls

Nothing Was the Same?

"I'm killin y'all niggas on that lyrical shit. Mayonnaise colored Benz, I push miracle whips."

Please login first to reply.