August 12, 2013 @ 02:16 PM
dmwalking

A lotta guys come on here and post their soundcloud and their music video recorded on their iphone and their website which is just their tumblr and expect to get recognition.  You wonder why nobody is digging your music or just flat out hates on you.  I'm making this post to help you out.  Take 5 or 10 minutes and get some perspective. 

Now, I'm no expert on the music industry. But I've been a student of the game for a long time.  Hell, I've even gone on a bit of a mini tour when I was younger so I'd like to think I know a little bit.  Sadly, most of what I know is based on mistakes. The same mistake that a lot of you guys are making. So check it:

Hip hop is the most image based that it's ever been.  If your image ain't right, no one's gonna give you a shot.  Plus, the day of the every-man is gone.  The odds of a modern day Nas blowing up is unlikely.  Danny Brown is actually very down to earth, but it wasn't until he got that weird haircut and started dressing funky that he started to get a name. People don't really care much for relatable characters anymore. They want larger than life, ridiculous, obnoxious, even scary.  They don't wanna listen to Ron from down the block who's still broke to remind them that they're broke. Hip hop is escapism for most part.

Ultimately, my point is that most dudes spamming the music forum don't have a strong image. You don't have a presence. You don't have a niche or a movement.  You still seem like the same 100 dudes who wanna rap that you went to high school with.  Some might even be skillful. You just lack the charisma to attract your attention.  

Here's some tips:

Look professional.  Don't just have a soundclick. Have an actual website. Hostbaby will give you a template based music page for like $10 a month. Don't make your tumblr your main site.  You'll blend into the background noise. Don't make music videos with your iphone unless that's like part of your image to intentionally look broke and ridiculous.  Otherwise, put out an ad in your local college and look for a student itching to use his camera to get some experience.  I'm offering advice for how to do it on the cheap. But if you got the dough, pay someone to make a legit video. Someone who really knows how to use a camera and knows how to edit.  Record in a legit studio and at the least get someone to mix it down properly.

Don't twitter spam people or youtube spam.  Word of mouth is powerful.  Get fans, get em to follow you on twitter, respond to the fans. They'll want to spread the word.  Again, just throwing out ideas. Be likeable. Don't be annoying. Use proper marketing. 

Have a solid image. ASAP blew up because they had a strong image.  Trinidad James had a strong image. Action Bronson had a strong presence/image. Tyler and Wolf Gang had a strong image.  Problem with 90% of y'all is that your image is simply an imitation of someone else who's already famous.  We don't need another Kanye or Drake. We don't need another Rocky, we don't need another Lupe. 

Be unique.  If you sound, dress, look, act, talk, wanna be like someone else, your best will still only be an imitation of someone else who's already established themselves as better. Be the best YOU.  And if the best you is just a trend hopping imitation, quit the game and make it a hobby.  Like I said, the world doesn't need more copies of artists that already exist. 

Have other people promo you. Doing your own promo only makes you look like the next bum ass dude hawkin his blank CD at the gas station. And when they promo you, make sure they know what they're doing.  You come on strong and keep an aura of mystery a la ASAP mob, or just flood the market with a ton of material like Lil B.  In the first scenario, you'll have people waiting for more.  In the second scenario, there's enough material for people to really get a feel for everything you do and they can pretty much play your music all day (you want that).  

Have a proper plan of attack and execute. Don't just make music and say, yo peep this everyone! SPAM SPAM SPAM!!!  Have a means to really make people draw the connection between you and the music. That's very important. When people hear your music, they should know who it is.  Plan it out.  For example, "first I'm a make like 4 tracks. It's gonna be all party music. Just reckless youth music.  So then I'm a release a quick teaser video with clips of the random house parties we go to. Then I'm a drop the full length music video. Then I'm a drop the EP for free. Six full tracks. Then I'm a start booking shows."  You can do it your own way. I'm just saying this as an example. You can do it your own way. Just make sure you have a plan. The days of the rapper simply making music and having people like/dislike it are over. You either have to have a team or you gotta be your own team and handle your own everything.  If you're disorganized you will always fizzle out and remain a soundclick musician. 

By the way, I'm not mentioning rappers based on my like for them.  I'm not a huge fan of any of the guys I mentioned, but I respect the hell out of their marketing.  They built a great plan of attack and made it happen.  

Imitate success. Don't imitate who they are, but imitate what they've done.  

I hope this helps. 

Last name Ever, first name Worst Mod

August 13, 2013 @ 03:27 AM
No Fuxx Given

on behalf of everyone who has dreams of making it one day, thank you

Fly on little wing

August 14, 2013 @ 02:09 AM
DStyles

Do you rather invest in an education or in a music "career"?

Stay in school brehs 

Last.fm - DStyles23 Xbox Live GT: DStyles23

August 14, 2013 @ 05:28 AM
mackness

Always have a back up if it doesn't work out

"mack you get a pass for wearing female pants i aint even gonna ether you anymore" Powercum http://jnmcknss.tumblr.com/

August 14, 2013 @ 03:02 PM
damnwitless1

Fuck a backup, if you're actually serious then make sure you surround yourself with other serious people. Keep working (hard) and dont ask yourself how long or when, just keep working and networking and taking the insight of more experienced people into consideration, chances are your trusted circle will point you in the right direction. The most important thing is to WORK HARD, BE ORIGINAL and AGGRESSIVELY NETWORK AND PROMOTE everything else will fall in place

All I do is smoke weed and listen to MF DOOM innercitykidsmusic.com

August 14, 2013 @ 04:39 PM
Λlexamiles

This was cool. great post

i make music n shit - https://soundcloud.com/alexamiles - @alexamilesMusic - milesalexamiles@gmail.com - blunts

August 15, 2013 @ 11:01 AM
zayrondon

on behalf of everyone who has dreams of making it one day, thank you
August 22, 2013 @ 01:57 PM
Frisson

i thought it was common knowledges (advices in op).
August 22, 2013 @ 08:38 PM
jizzla

Good points, but...ASAP Mob started on Tumblr. Plus, Drake and J.Cole are "Average Joe" type dudes that are really successful, so I don't think having a larger-than-life image is necessary.
August 25, 2013 @ 01:26 AM
fromlatony

Good points made. Best point is "have other people promo for you," this is important. Also, if you're an artist making submissions, make sure you get to the point. Have your image, name, twitter/facebook links, and the EMBED code in the e-mail. Make it easy as possible, no one going over submissions is reading a long ass paragraph full of grammar errors. Also submit to blogs that take submissions like blkdmnds.com 2dopeboyz.com and nahright.com
August 26, 2013 @ 09:22 PM
Alex Taylor

September 3, 2013 @ 05:04 AM
♥♥♥♥☮☮☮☮☮♥♥♥♥♥⚐⚑☺☺☺

https://soundcloud.com/tobiokami/okami-tobiokami https://soundcloud.com/tobiokami/okami-tobiokami MY MUSIC---

September 4, 2013 @ 09:55 AM
sbesus

Dreams and Talent don't require education. Only commitment, and that commitment is to learn everything you can about your dreams and talent. I rather do my own studying and homework on the things i want to learn about rather than a teacher spoon feed it to me in thesis papers and essays. #StillRespectTheEducatedDoe #It'sYOURJourney 

EXCLUSIVE HB BEATS @ https://soundcloud.com/hbcypher by HB PRODUCERS

September 5, 2013 @ 09:05 PM
♥♥♥♥☮☮☮☮☮♥♥♥♥♥⚐⚑☺☺☺

Dreams and Talent don't require education. Only commitment, and that commitment is to learn everything you can about your dreams and talent. I rather do my own studying and homework on the things i want to learn about rather than a teacher spoon feed it to me in thesis papers and essays. #StillRespectTheEducatedDoe #It'sYOURJourney 
truuu

https://soundcloud.com/tobiokami/okami-tobiokami https://soundcloud.com/tobiokami/okami-tobiokami MY MUSIC---

September 25, 2013 @ 04:25 AM
ReRetro Everything!

If you create what you love and there's people vibing to your music you're doing something right. Everything else should be able to fall into place.
September 29, 2013 @ 02:43 AM
Ethanbane

Genuine points offered. One of the pivotal things alongside talent/diligence, are the relationships you foster and maintain. Your network is your net worth. Loyalty is also a major component when having business partners if you're taking the route of owning a record label.
September 29, 2013 @ 04:29 AM
Adot

Very good read, thank you, i'm an aspiring artist as well.

soundcloud.com/ace-league

September 29, 2013 @ 08:18 PM
bionicbunny88

@MarkSJeezy

I wish that were true but sad to say that's no longer viable in today's world with so many aspiring artists out there. Still everyone's gotta persevere.

https://soundcloud.com/bionicbunny-1 http://bionicbunny88.bandcamp.com/

October 2, 2013 @ 09:53 AM
Dwane Kric

fuck really wished I read this earlier. Made some mistakes already, hope I can cover them up. 
October 2, 2013 @ 10:48 AM
kernzn

someone who can help me out finding some programms i would love to try making beats and i have some special thoughts and imagination of the past, maybe a link or something.
thanks
October 8, 2013 @ 08:30 AM
sbesus

@kernzn http://www.image-line.com/documents/flstudio.html FL is best for entry level producing. Theres a free demo to try it out.

1. When you chose to be an artist, you have your own standards and the world has their standards. Whatever you make, don't get discouraged by anything or anyone after one post/review/song, just know that it reached your own standard/goal and that the only thing you should worry about next is how to make yourself better and to raise your standards higher. 

2. A big mistake when people take up the mixer/mic is that a lot of them are money/fame focused. We all wanna strike gold with our next track but that aspect of greed ruins the Art. When all you think about is Money, Cameras, & Millions of views, you start becoming stressed over what should be fun and easy.

3. Stay true to your sound. Don't make up verses simply for the sake of "Bars". Write what's true than bar it up. Authentic Sound will always sound better than artificial sound.

4. NEVER assume that your next release is going to make you a star, because when you do blow up, you don't want to be a douche flexin hard n shit. Remain humble, and Remain Respected.

5. It's not going to be an easy million if you aren't working for it. Music isn't for everyone, just as Construction isn't either, but you have to wake up everyday knowing this is what I'm going to do for a long time. You have to Learn and Adapt, you have to gain perspective on not only the music but yourself.

Just have Fun and Strive for your Voice to be Heard, cause you'll know when you made it when you start having fun.

October 8, 2013 @ 09:55 AM
Dwane Kric

@kernzn http://www.image-line.com/documents/flstudio.html FL is best for entry level producing. Theres a free demo to try it out.

1. When you chose to be an artist, you have your own standards and the world has their standards. Whatever you make, don't get discouraged by anything or anyone after one post/review/song, just know that it reached your own standard/goal and that the only thing you should worry about next is how to make yourself better and to raise your standards higher. 

2. A big mistake when people take up the mixer/mic is that a lot of them are money/fame focused. We all wanna strike gold with our next track but that aspect of greed ruins the Art. When all you think about is Money, Cameras, & Millions of views, you start becoming stressed over what should be fun and easy.

3. Stay true to your sound. Don't make up verses simply for the sake of "Bars". Write what's true than bar it up. Authentic Sound will always sound better than artificial sound.

4. NEVER assume that your next release is going to make you a star, because when you do blow up, you don't want to be a douche flexin hard n shit. Remain humble, and Remain Respected.

5. It's not going to be an easy million if you aren't working for it. Music isn't for everyone, just as Construction isn't either, but you have to wake up everyday knowing this is what I'm going to do for a long time. You have to Learn and Adapt, you have to gain perspective on not only the music but yourself.

Just have Fun and Strive for your Voice to be Heard, cause you'll know when you made it when you start having fun.
this is some good ass advice
October 8, 2013 @ 10:35 AM
kernzn

wow thank you mate
October 9, 2013 @ 06:15 AM
sbesus

@remyxlebyu Ayo, I just checked out your Soundcloud, It has some Real Vibes on it, Fucks wit it, but have you ever heard of HB Cypher yet? I think you should produce for it mang, would Mosdef want to hear what you can do brody.

October 17, 2013 @ 04:11 AM
adamkh123

https://soundcloud.com/haze9924
October 21, 2013 @ 07:37 PM
supremeskywalker

This is a great post bro!
November 3, 2013 @ 11:00 PM
pinkbluedood

Awesome thank you! Aspiring Artist.

https://soundcloud.com/lugubriousdave/tracks

November 13, 2013 @ 06:05 PM
styrofag

i released one mixtape that was full of comical cat songs for mates, now I have just finished a rough mixtape thats half-decent but im not sure weather to release the half decent one or make a good one (that i have started now) thanks btw i use i home setup a chord ccu1 usb condenser mic with a shock mount and stand. thanks
December 16, 2013 @ 06:29 PM
NZOO

You guys paying people to put out press releases  can do it yourselves imo.. 

Don't badmind me.

December 24, 2013 @ 04:48 AM
Moe Rock

People forget that it is a music BUSINESS. Talent will only take you so far, why would a record label take a chance on you if you have not taken a chance on yourself? Great post. 

Please login first to reply.