Free Worldwide Shipping
Spend $150 USD or more. Click for details.
May 7, 2013 @ 02:49 AM
RJ ONE

As the title suggests, I'm on the market for studio equipment that I will need in order to record my own music from home. I have recorded at other studios before, but all the work was done for me and I'm looking to get a lot more hands on and learn how to use the equipment myself.

I just need something like a starter kit. My budget to begin with is probably under $2,000 if that helps out. I know these things get expensive but I just want the minimum to get the ball rolling. But please, no Walmart products. I'd rather have an incomplete set up with quality stuff as opposed to a complete rig with shit quality.

r3gularbwoy.tumblr.com / @rjonee - Instagram

May 7, 2013 @ 03:03 AM
RJ ONE

And if anyone is from Brooklyn and trying to macc and record at their studio, let me know. I'm trying to make moves this summer.

May 8, 2013 @ 07:07 PM
bootynuggets

assuming you're trying to record rap/hip-hop...

1. good computer (assuming you already don't have one). if you have slight knowledge about computer specs and shit, get one with AT LEAST 4gb of ram, but aim for 8gb or higher. also, you'll want to think about hard drive space. if you have a lot of space, then there's no need to worry. if you don't, then you could simply drop $100 on a terabyte hard drive from microcenter.  there's a lot of good DAWs (digital audio workstation) that can run on weaker computers, but you'll be satisfied with a nicer computer.

2. interface. you can get a cheap one (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/focusrite-scarlett-2i2-usb-audio-interface) that does a good job, or a bit higher-end one (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/presonus-firestudio-project-recording-interface). both will do the same job, main difference is amount of inputs (but assuming you're recording rap/hip-hop, you'll probably only use 1 input at a time for vocals). you also might wanna look into a preamp (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer-TUBE-ULTRAGAIN-MIC100-Preamp-107733578-i1125216.gc). from what i understand (someone please correct me if i'm wrong, actually, and give me a better definition/understanding of what it does), a preamp basically works like a "signal booster" so the signal of the mic will be louder without having to turn up the gain and made that "dead air" sound. along with these things, you'll obviously need shit like XLR cables.

3. mic stand, pop filter (choose metal over mesh, you probably won't spend more than $40 on one), and maybe even one of these: (http://www.guitarcenter.com/sE-Electronics-SERF-Reflexion-Filter-3-5-103846226-i1172084.gc). you'll need the mic stand to obviously hold the mic, you need the pop filter for when you record to filter out the "pop" and "sh/ch" sounds while recording, and the reflection thing for if you don't have a recording space that has been acoustically treated.

4. the microphone. you'll want a condenser mic. this will do. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blue-Bluebird-Large-Diaphragm-Cardioid-Condenser-Microphone-102918877-i1127341.gc 

5. DAW. you can be a good citizen and pay for one, or you can be a broke boy (like myself) and get one for free (like REAPER, for example) or get one off of thepiratebay (like Pro Tools, but for Pro Tools specifically, i think you need this thing called an iLok to run it no matter what IDK). all DAWs have the basic ability to record, but some have more/different features than other. for me, i use FL Studio to record (which isn't the best way to record, but i've been using FL to produce for around 2 years and i'm really comfortable with the interface and plugins), and it's relatively easy if you know what you're doing, but then again you could say that for any DAW. after you've settled on one DAW, LEARN IT. don't constantly go in between DAWs unless a specific one has a specific feature that you need that another one doesn't.

hope i've been of some assistance. 

I produce with a friend for fun. https://soundcloud.com/kopm

May 9, 2013 @ 12:29 AM
NZOO

Sighs another fuckboy with a dream, who gassed you to rap nigga.

Put up a few bars here and let us judge.

Don't badmind me.

May 9, 2013 @ 04:42 AM
RJ ONE

Sighs another fuckboy with a dream, who gassed you to rap nigga.

Put up a few bars here and let us judge.
smd, it's a hobby not a dream.

May 9, 2013 @ 04:43 AM
RJ ONE

assuming you're trying to record rap/hip-hop...

1. good computer (assuming you already don't have one). if you have slight knowledge about computer specs and shit, get one with AT LEAST 4gb of ram, but aim for 8gb or higher. also, you'll want to think about hard drive space. if you have a lot of space, then there's no need to worry. if you don't, then you could simply drop $100 on a terabyte hard drive from microcenter.  there's a lot of good DAWs (digital audio workstation) that can run on weaker computers, but you'll be satisfied with a nicer computer.

2. interface. you can get a cheap one (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/focusrite-scarlett-2i2-usb-audio-interface) that does a good job, or a bit higher-end one (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/presonus-firestudio-project-recording-interface). both will do the same job, main difference is amount of inputs (but assuming you're recording rap/hip-hop, you'll probably only use 1 input at a time for vocals). you also might wanna look into a preamp (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer-TUBE-ULTRAGAIN-MIC100-Preamp-107733578-i1125216.gc). from what i understand (someone please correct me if i'm wrong, actually, and give me a better definition/understanding of what it does), a preamp basically works like a "signal booster" so the signal of the mic will be louder without having to turn up the gain and made that "dead air" sound. along with these things, you'll obviously need shit like XLR cables.

3. mic stand, pop filter (choose metal over mesh, you probably won't spend more than $40 on one), and maybe even one of these: (http://www.guitarcenter.com/sE-Electronics-SERF-Reflexion-Filter-3-5-103846226-i1172084.gc). you'll need the mic stand to obviously hold the mic, you need the pop filter for when you record to filter out the "pop" and "sh/ch" sounds while recording, and the reflection thing for if you don't have a recording space that has been acoustically treated.

4. the microphone. you'll want a condenser mic. this will do. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blue-Bluebird-Large-Diaphragm-Cardioid-Condenser-Microphone-102918877-i1127341.gc 

5. DAW. you can be a good citizen and pay for one, or you can be a broke boy (like myself) and get one for free (like REAPER, for example) or get one off of thepiratebay (like Pro Tools, but for Pro Tools specifically, i think you need this thing called an iLok to run it no matter what IDK). all DAWs have the basic ability to record, but some have more/different features than other. for me, i use FL Studio to record (which isn't the best way to record, but i've been using FL to produce for around 2 years and i'm really comfortable with the interface and plugins), and it's relatively easy if you know what you're doing, but then again you could say that for any DAW. after you've settled on one DAW, LEARN IT. don't constantly go in between DAWs unless a specific one has a specific feature that you need that another one doesn't.

hope i've been of some assistance. 
Bro, you're awesome for that. I'm going to save this page and go back to it for reference thanks to people like you.

May 9, 2013 @ 11:35 AM
@abgohard1

recording from home is one thing, engineering and mixing your music  is another, if you are serious i highly suggest you record at someone's home studio for way cheaper than a regular studio
May 9, 2013 @ 01:30 PM
bootynuggets

i also forgot about monitors. you'll need them while mixing. they're kinda pricey, but a great alternative are some reference headphones. DONT GET BEATS BY DR. DRE, THEY WILL NOT HELP YOU DO A GOOD JOB MIXING.

May 10, 2013 @ 12:56 AM
Gilly Suits

LOLz at BootyNuggets referencing my message to pm to him and not dropping any credit.

You could just go to my guide: 

Choose a music software, top programs are Ableton, Cubase, FL Studio, Reaper, Reason, Logic, and Pro Tools. 
That will run you like $200~400 bucks though you can save money by torrenting if you want though I am a strong believer in buying my music programs. Also Reaper is only 60 bucks if you check my thread United Producer I have a Link to a free Ableton Lite 8 and bunch of freeware VSTs. 

http://hypebeast.com/forums/music/168683

Then I suggest an Audio Interface which might run you about $100~500 though you can buy many used or in packages. *Side note* most Audio Interfaces come with light versions of the full program. Most have everything you will need to make killer beats and just as strong minus a few points. 

You also may want good headphones or monitors. Again about $100 plus. I'd try buying these used as they appear frequently on ebay or amazon. 

Last thing you may want is an midi control about $50 plus. You could actually get the Akai Mini which will have both pads and keys for $100 which is a pretty good deal. 

So all in all if you take advantage of packages and such. 

I'd buy a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 inferface for $150 though you can usually use coupon to get down to like $135. I personally have it and only stand by Focusrite as they make the best preamps imo. Reason I choose the Focusrite for you it comes with Ableton Lite 8 saving you money on a software. And comes with 2 VST plugins a vintage compressor and vintage reverb both which are excellent. Also by having this form of Ableton Lite 8 you will have cheaper upgrades in future if you decide to stick with them. Avid Pro Tools also do packages like this but usually for $250+. Reason does one for about $450 with their Balance interface which does a new feature most interfaces don't do clip safe though if you don't plan to record still with Focusrite. 

I suggest the Audio Technica ATH-M35 or KRK headphones as both are cheap and in great quality for mixing as they are flat which is what you want both can be purchased for around $50. 

Now you can get an midi controller if you please. I did recommend Akai up top though I never use Akai because with a PC its a bitch to update your controller to work. I am a big Novation or M-Audio Person. With the $400 left you could get a nice controller such as the Axiom 49 2nd Gen or the New Novation Impulse. There are cheaper solutions that are just as good such as the KeyRig which is sold at Best Buy. It's made by M-Audio costs about $100. Features you would be missing are more faders, pads, and weighted keys I believe but it def gets the job done. 

If you go with my cheap solution with the Focusrite package/Headphone/Keyrig you'd pay: $300 
If you go better controller or software about: $500

If rapping like I told Nuggets you prob want a preamp with hip hop vocals as they come out low and it allows you to have a louder sounding vocals without adding gain. 

Hope this helps

Culective.com //

May 10, 2013 @ 02:19 AM
RJ ONE

LOLz at BootyNuggets referencing my message to pm to him and not dropping any credit.

Choose a music software, top programs are Ableton, Cubase, FL Studio, Reaper, Reason, Logic, and Pro Tools. 
That will run you like $200~400 bucks though you can save money by torrenting if you want though I am a strong believer in buying my music programs. Also Reaper is only 60 bucks if you check my thread United Producer I have a Link to a free Ableton Lite 8 and bunch of freeware VSTs. 

Then I suggest an Audio Interface which might run you about $100~500 though you can buy many used or in packages. *Side note* most Audio Interfaces come with light versions of the full program. Most have everything you will need to make killer beats and just as strong minus a few points. 

You also may want good headphones or monitors. Again about $100 plus. I'd try buying these used as they appear frequently on ebay or amazon. 

Last thing you may want is an midi control about $50 plus. You could actually get the Akai Mini which will have both pads and keys for $100 which is a pretty good deal. 

I'd buy a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 inferface for $150 though you can usually use coupon to get down to like $135. I personally have it and only stand by Focusrite as they make the best preamps imo. Reason I choose the Focusrite for you it comes with Ableton Lite 8 saving you money on a software. And comes with 2 VST plugins a vintage compressor and vintage reverb both which are excellent. Also by having this form of Ableton Lite 8 you will have cheaper upgrades in future if you decide to stick with them. Avid Pro Tools also do packages like this but usually for $250+. Reason does one for about $450 with their Balance interface which does a new feature most interfaces don't do clip safe though if you don't plan to record still with Focusrite. 

I suggest the Audio Technica ATH-M35 or KRK headphones as both are cheap and in great quality for mixing as they are flat which is what you want both can be purchased for around $50. 

Now you can get an midi controller if you please. I did recommend Akai up top though I never use Akai because with a PC its a bitch to update your controller to work. I am a big Novation or M-Audio Person. With the $400 left you could get a nice controller such as the Axiom 49 2nd Gen or the New Novation Impulse. There are cheaper solutions that are just as good such as the KeyRig which is sold at Best Buy. It's made by M-Audio costs about $100. Features you would be missing are more faders, pads, and weighted keys I believe but it def gets the job done. 

If you go with my cheap solution with the Focusrite package/Headphone/Keyrig you'd pay: $300 

If rapping like I told Nuggets you prob want a preamp with hip hop vocals as they come out low and it allows you to have a louder sounding vocals without adding gain. 

Hope this helps
Helpful people like you beat the haters by 2:1 ratio. That's amazing shit right there. Thanks!

May 10, 2013 @ 08:48 PM
bootynuggets

Hope this helps
sorry man, major credit to you. thanks for all the help again. 

May 11, 2013 @ 02:48 PM
ThatGuyBars

You gonna need a mastering software like reaper or pro tools. You know to equalize the beat from your vocals. You may think mastering is uneeded but trust its the best thing you can do.

Hope all goes well and come back when you have your first song.

Ayyy!-Fonzie

Please login first to reply.