December 22, 2012 @ 09:57 PM
inaninstant

For such a legenadary producer what artist has a track record as bad as him? every artist he has signed aside from 50 and eminem have been a failure, he got lucky with kendrick, considering he was already established (and he produced fuck all on his album) you could even say 50 was also and eminem found him anyway. 

aftermath records is a joke

Former acts
Antonio McLendon
Bishop Lamont
Brooklyn
Busta Rhymes
Dion
Eve
G.A.G.E.
Game
Hayes
Hittman
King Tee
Joell Ortiz
Joe Beast
Marsha Ambrosius
RaekwonRakim
RBX
Slim the Mobster
Stat Quo
The Firm
The Last Emperor
Truth Hurts
December 22, 2012 @ 10:09 PM
DStyles

Ain't gonna front, aftermath is the graveyard.

Last.fm - DStyles23 Xbox Live GT: DStyles23

December 22, 2012 @ 10:46 PM
DaPark

How this guy is the most paid musician this year too

hb weindis "No wonder drake makes love songs. Seeing all these 10's around toronto. damn. Just gained alot of dislike for my city."

December 22, 2012 @ 11:01 PM
inaninstant

Niggah selling fuckin headphones not music.Dre stay gettin pain off other peoples shit.
December 22, 2012 @ 11:25 PM
beathead

You do understand that every label has just as much a bust/hits as Aftermath, right? Dre has a known track record/history of being a perfectionist in the studio. He will NOT co-sign on a song/album if he isn't feeling the direction of it. In order words, if you're looking to make a quick buck, you're gonna get dropped or you don't cut it with Dre. There's a reason why most of these acts say they left because of "Musical direction" of the album. Some of his acts that left were already established when they joined Aftermath (Busta, Rakim, Eve, The Firm) and/or were joint distribution deals (Raekwon).

I wouldn't say it's a joke but moreso it is a graveyard for acts that aren't seeing eye to eye with Dre, musically/production wise.

Kendrick, Game, 50, and Em all blew up under Dre. When they blew up, they BLEW UP i.e. HYPED that year. (Game in 2005, 50 in 2002, Em in 1998, Kendrick 2011-12). Truth Hurt had a freaking top 10 hit back in the late 90s. Additionally some of the guys that he brought in were there for solely ghostwriting for him like Royce Da 5'9, Bishop Lamont, RBX and Hittman.

As to why Dre was ranked #1 on Forbes as the highest earning musician was because of branding. You do know that Beats by Dre contributed to his ranking right? Dre split from Monster and is distributing headphones as its own brand name.
December 22, 2012 @ 11:59 PM
King Louis XIV

You do understand that every label has just as much a bust/hits as Aftermath, right? Dre has a known track record/history of being a perfectionist in the studio. He will NOT co-sign on a song/album if he isn't feeling the direction of it. In order words, if you're looking to make a quick buck, you're gonna get dropped or you don't cut it with Dre. There's a reason why most of these acts say they left because of "Musical direction" of the album. Some of his acts that left were already established when they joined Aftermath (Busta, Rakim, Eve, The Firm) and/or were joint distribution deals (Raekwon).

I wouldn't say it's a joke but moreso it is a graveyard for acts that aren't seeing eye to eye with Dre, musically/production wise.

Kendrick, Game, 50, and Em all blew up under Dre. When they blew up, they BLEW UP i.e. HYPED that year. (Game in 2005, 50 in 2002, Em in 1998, Kendrick 2011-12). Truth Hurt had a freaking top 10 hit back in the late 90s. Additionally some of the guys that he brought in were there for solely ghostwriting for him like Royce Da 5'9, Bishop Lamont, RBX and Hittman.

As to why Dre was ranked #1 on Forbes as the highest earning musician was because of branding. You do know that Beats by Dre contributed to his ranking right? Dre split from Monster and is distributing headphones as its own brand name.

Dre, is that you?

But on the real, 2001 was suprised

It is legal because I wish it.

December 23, 2012 @ 12:23 AM
beathead

Dre, is that you?

But on the real, 2001 was 
Nah fam. I've been following Hip Hop for ages esp the career of some of the acts that blew up in the early 00's. Some of the former acts on Aftermath were signed due to association. Like Joe Beast was put on to Aftermath due to Dre's production staff member, Mel Man. I mean, you can google it all and tell me I ain't on point of what I stated. I'm just trying to give yall my opinion and brief you on some hip hop knowledge. Yall probably didn't know that at one point Game was gonna get dropped by Interscope/Jimmy Iovine before Dre put him on with 50. The same goes with Dre was close on getting Cube on Aftermath.
December 23, 2012 @ 12:34 AM
paulywalnuts

im not sure about overrated...i dont hear him being lauded as legendary an awful lot, but when i do, he has the track record to back it up so i dunno why OP is PMSing

i master bait from time to time///wtb supreme/rust-oleum beanie

December 23, 2012 @ 12:39 AM
beathead

im not sure about overrated...i dont hear him being lauded as legendary an awful lot, but when i do, he has the track record to back it up so i dunno why OP is PMSing
QFT. The guy has the track record of putting out bangers. He'll flip an artist career w/ one track.

To reiterate Dre's work ethics and perfectionist mentality, check out his work w/ Dipset.

http://www.sohh.com/2011/01/dipset_describe_dr_dre_studio_sessions_l.html
December 23, 2012 @ 02:20 AM
DStyles

frailsians/hipsters buying them beats

Last.fm - DStyles23 Xbox Live GT: DStyles23

December 23, 2012 @ 03:03 AM
Cokane

u say he's overrated and then start talkin about other artists, so what is he overrated as? a record label owner? be clear so somebody can help u understand that nobody cares

Eggplant Foams sz 10 http://hypebeast.com/forums/sneakers/219681 BBC CREWNECK, ETC http://hypebeast.com/forums/apparel/193923#3853259

December 23, 2012 @ 03:04 AM
Bubbs619

I used to think the same but realized he can't be overrated when he has been apart of the most important artists of hip-hop. NWA, 2pac, Snoop, 50, Eminem,  and  Kendrick have all been under the Dr. Dre wing at one point
December 23, 2012 @ 03:31 AM
BlackBananas

Detox gonna be 4 cds watch
December 23, 2012 @ 04:06 AM
falsenaga

Yeah, Dre's overrated.. That's why if you polled every rapper in the game right now, 9 out of 10 of them would kill for a chance to work with him. And if there's anything that backs that up, it's his track record. Get out.
December 23, 2012 @ 06:48 AM
inaninstant

Yeah, Dre's overrated.. That's why if you polled every rapper in the game right now, 9 out of 10 of them would kill for a chance to work with him. And if there's anything that backs that up, it's his track record. Get out.
Point Im trying to make is that Eminem, 50 and game all would've blown up on any other label, Dre should be able to make any rapper a hit.

And this shit about him being a perfectionist is bullshit, he only wants to make commercial hits he doesn't give a fuck about making good music. He'll release a single and if it doesn't sell as projected the artist gets dropped, its all about sales to him. Releasing singles to detox and they fucking sucked so he didnt' drop the album.
December 23, 2012 @ 12:09 PM
mscrnt

Not sure where you are from but personally being from the west coast I can personally say that I have experienced the influence that Dr.Dre has had. Him being overrated is a statement I cant agree with. I can however see your angle depending on your age and a particular area you grew up in. 
January 6, 2013 @ 05:38 AM
SMCKAHOE

i grew up in cali and dre has had many some dope songs records so your overrated claim is nonsense. Because of him we have many OG songs to listen to so stop hatin
January 6, 2013 @ 06:42 AM
Moises Arias

dre as a rapper could be understood as overratted but he is very good at producing and pretty much everything else behind the scenes. If dre dropped detox with nothing but instrumentals or just have other people rap instead it would be his best album to me. Plus dude is the top paid musican this year cause he worked hard as shit. You know how many headphone this nigga sells? swear i cant go a day without seeing one somewhere. Respect the man's grind.

My name is ASAC Schrader, and you can go fuck yourself.

January 6, 2013 @ 07:20 AM
Konglo

Point Im trying to make is that Eminem, 50 and game all would've blown up on any other label, Dre should be able to make any rapper a hit.

you can't just say that. it takes a lot of pieces for an artist to be commercially successful; otherwise all good lyricists would be on the top 40 right now. if one were to research every label's endeavors, there's gonna be a whole list of busts with only a couple standouts. dre has classic hits solo and with nwa, has produced beats that everybody knows, and is mentor to arguably the greatest rapper all time. george washington lost more battles than he won; edison had thousands of inventions that failed. dr dre is not king midas.

overrated? i mean i understand there are some people out there who don't fuck with him but if we're basing his "overatedness" on the number of artists signed to him that didn't do numbers, then i think that we could add a few more label execs to that list as well.
January 6, 2013 @ 05:36 PM
kbos

fuck ever happend to hittman tho hittman was too ill on 2001
January 6, 2013 @ 05:40 PM
Izuna

Detox gonna be 4 cds watch
Detox is going to be a failure if its not at least 2-4 discs of perfect beats with 40 guest features

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| http://soundcloud.com/izuna ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

January 6, 2013 @ 08:15 PM
JohnvHarrison

Honestly you can't even cite Eminem as a reason for him not being overrated, Dre didn't really do shit. Dre produced literally 3/15 songs on Em's first album. So really it was just Dre's name behind the shit. and the Songs he produced (which were the singles of course) Aren't even half as good as the rest of the album.

and you can't say "oh well lets throw some other record exects in there then cause they have more flops" Bigger labels have a bigger umbrella. Theres literally over 200 artists signed to Universal, of course there's gonna collectively be more flops than Dre's label, but the difference is Dre is running the label himself, with major distribution. His umbrella is way smaller so it would be easier for him to prevent a flop. now if you go by artist-owned labels then Aftermath is probably the worst, along with Shady and Rocafella (don't say the obvious "but but kanye", because theres still Osheeno & Sparks and numerous other flops)

http://www.theyhatechange.com Beauty Squad Click on the rise #B$C Get down or lay down

January 6, 2013 @ 08:39 PM
beathead

Honestly you can't even cite Eminem as a reason for him not being overrated, Dre didn't really do shit. Dre produced literally 3/15 songs on Em's first album. So really it was just Dre's name behind the shit. and the Songs he produced (which were the singles of course) Aren't even half as good as the rest of the album.

and you can't say "oh well lets throw some other record exects in there then cause they have more flops" Bigger labels have a bigger umbrella. Theres literally over 200 artists signed to Universal, of course there's gonna collectively be more flops than Dre's label, but the difference is Dre is running the label himself, with major distribution. His umbrella is way smaller so it would be easier for him to prevent a flop. now if you go by artist-owned labels then Aftermath is probably the worst, along with Shady and Rocafella (don't say the obvious "but but kanye", because theres still Osheeno & Sparks and numerous other flops)

How can you honestly say Dre didn't really do shit? The guy fucking put Eminem on. I mean, this whole damn tread is about Dre's abilities/direction as a executive of a label right? If that's the case, signing Eminem (taking a chance on a white rapper at the time), producing his singles which perpetuated into his mainstream popularity, and putting him on with other rappers (Xzibit, Snoop, Nate Dogg) does not constitute the label of overrated. Again, he co-signed w/ Em to put on 50. He moved Game to G-Unit. He co-signed Kendrick. These are all executive decision that keeps Aftermath still relevant. 

And as I stated earlier, every label from Bad Boys, Rocafella, Ruff Riders, and Cash Money all had their share of hits and miss. You can't just single out Aftermath. Now you're entitled to your opinion but I beg to differ with Aftermath being labeled the worst as their artist put out more quality material compared to other labels.
January 7, 2013 @ 12:48 AM
ThatGuyBars

Meanwhile Detox has yet to drop.

Ayyy!-Fonzie

January 7, 2013 @ 12:50 AM
ThatGuyBars

THE graveyard record company is RUTHLESS Records. I mean LOOK at it.

Ayyy!-Fonzie

January 7, 2013 @ 01:36 AM
Araab-Muzik

Bad Boy Records is a hell hole just look at Cassie for example. She hasn't released an album since she split from Ryan Leslie's label. She's too busy fucking Diddy.
February 4, 2013 @ 08:55 AM
inaninstant

Bad Boy Records is a hell hole just look at Cassie for example. She hasn't released an album since she split from Ryan Leslie's label. She's too busy fucking Diddy.
What annoys me is Dre co-signs kendrick and does fuck all on his album? why not produce a few songs? and like dude above said he produced 3 songs on Em's first album
February 4, 2013 @ 08:32 PM
JohnDank

quik and daz production wise > dre

imo.
February 5, 2013 @ 01:37 AM
thesolecollector23

if it wasn't for dre the west wouldn't be what it is so how the fuck you going to say underrated!

Mista No Slack N My Mack

February 5, 2013 @ 03:25 AM
strangers

What annoys me is Dre co-signs kendrick and does fuck all on his album? why not produce a few songs? and like dude above said he produced 3 songs on Em's first album
didn't kendrick NOT want Dre beats on his debut? "every body heard that i fucked with dre, and they wanna tell me i made it, nigga i ain't made shit, if he gave me a hand out ima take his wrist and break it". ie. having Dre produce the singles, having his production stamped all over the album etc... Watch his 2nd album have a couple of beats by Dre though.

Dre's track record is respectable, BUT when and what was the last good beat he produced? his own "singles" for detox weren't even fully produced by him... When Dre was pumping out hit after hit in the early to mid 00's none of us would be saying he's overrated, now however... I think I'd have to agree to say he's overrated but that's only because the most recent beats i can recall are from relapse.

I'll rethink things once Em's album drops and if there's Dre beats on there, and I pray there are. 

Please login first to reply.