Labor Day - Enjoy 25% Off Your Order. Use code: LABORDAY25
May 22, 2012 @ 03:20 AM
thesolecollector23

people have the right to discuss their opinions about hip hop so you need to get of your high horse!

Mista No Slack N My Mack

May 22, 2012 @ 03:48 AM
goldANDsacks

changed my mind.
May 22, 2012 @ 04:23 AM
goldANDsacks

there's been like 200000 threads about this exact topic and each time i've always taken the side of "subgenres", "hip hop been like this", and "you can't compare rick ross to 2pac". this time though, i'll agree with the OP, but rephrase his grievance.

what makes music (or art in general) good? thinking outside of the the things that are specific to hip hop music i've come up with three universal criteria:

1) ability to convey a thought
2) ability to elicit an emotion from the audience
3) memorability

i say its about how well it does the three things above, regardless of what the specific thought or emotion may be. meaning, a song that makes you extremely sad and a song that makes you extremely happy are both equally good in that arena, just in different ways.

so... when we look at a wacka flocka song, i say it's good because it can hit all three criteria to the tee. some of those songs makes me think about having fun and just puts a mean face on me as i want to jump around and "get buck" or whatever you kids say these days. and when i'm humming the beat three days later, its definitely memorable and retained in my memory. so a 2pac song that makes me melancholy and a rick ross song that makes me energized can be equally good, just in different ways.

now what the OP was saying (i believe) is that artists or songs just aren't trying to convey as many varieties or thoughts and emotions like before. these days, all (popular) songs convey the same thoughts and emotions (which are still quite done well for what they are). its like comparing a drawing of bugs bunny to a photo-realistic painting of a rabbit. the bugs bunny could be drawn perfectly, colored perfectly, and have a hilarious caption. doesn't mean that it's any "better" or "worse" than a perfectly executed painting of a rabbit that looks like a photo. the OP is just sick of only seeing cartoons these days.
May 22, 2012 @ 12:30 PM
DStyles

I argued so much as a young lil nikka in the hood about the current state of hip hop that I'm bored to even engage in any hip hop discussions anymore.

Just listen to w/e the fuck you nikkas want to listen even if it's some gay shit like odd future or simp khalifa or some real hood shit like sbeezy or hurricane chris.

Do you nikkas

- DSteezy F. Baby aka V$VP $TYLXS

Last.fm - DStyles23 Xbox Live GT: DStyles23

May 22, 2012 @ 02:48 PM
damnwitless2

suspended

yeah I mean honestly wtf do you nerds even want? Hip-hop is NEVER going to be what you want it to be, unless, you know, you actually decide to MAKE some fucking music, but in the meantime all your bitching about how different the music is from what you would like it to be essentially just shows that you can't accept change.

THIS ENTIRE DISCUSSION IS OLD AS FUCK, NOBODY'S SAYING ANYTHING NEW

Wahhhhh, people don't spit realness anymore, wahhhhh hip-hop isn't the same as it used to be. Like, do you idiots really not realize that the people who are children now are going to LOVE this era of music just as much as we love the 90s? Because hip-hop (and music in general) is going to be WAY different in 2025 and people are going to either hate it or love it (or not give a fuck) same as always

and all of that is on top of just how generally misguided and uninformed all of your opinions on the subject are in the first place

All I do is smoke weed, blow lines, and listen to MF DOOM. And rap. http://www.facebook.com/SpacemanNYC

May 22, 2012 @ 02:59 PM
The Noise

yeah I mean honestly wtf do you nerds even want? Hip-hop is NEVER going to be what you want it to be, unless, you know, you actually decide to MAKE some fucking music, but in the meantime all your bitching about how different the music is from what you would like it to be essentially just shows that you can't accept change.

THIS ENTIRE DISCUSSION IS OLD AS FUCK, NOBODY'S SAYING ANYTHING NEW

Wahhhhh, people don't spit realness anymore, wahhhhh hip-hop isn't the same as it used to be. Like, do you idiots really not realize that the people who are children now are going to LOVE this era of music just as much as we love the 90s? Because hip-hop (and music in general) is going to be WAY different in 2025 and people are going to either hate it or love it (or not give a fuck) same as always

and all of that is on top of just how generally misguided and uninformed all of your opinions on the subject are in the first place

cool niggas need to let go of the past . of course no one can make classics like they did back in the day , but what these dudes is puttin' out now will most likely become classics 10-20 years from now .

millions

May 22, 2012 @ 03:19 PM
NoStress

People are afraid of change

burr

May 22, 2012 @ 04:02 PM
NZOO

When something is shitty no matter what genre, I have to label it as such. Not all, but a majority of new hiphop acts that have came out fucking suck so I can see people fustration in its current state.

Don't badmind me.

May 22, 2012 @ 04:08 PM
damnwitless2

suspended

but like, who's to say what's "shitty" and what's not? At the end of the day everybody has different taste so what they think is good or bad is really going to vary from person to person. Even if I personally don't like a certain music I don't feel like it has absolutely zero validity and therefore represents some sort of negative trend, its just wack music yo, people have always liked wack music and always will, what you really gonna do?

All I do is smoke weed, blow lines, and listen to MF DOOM. And rap. http://www.facebook.com/SpacemanNYC

May 22, 2012 @ 04:31 PM
DStyles

I think OF sucks yet nikkas think SBeezy suck but I like SBeezy's music meanwhile other nikkas like OF's music.

May 22, 2012 @ 05:19 PM
@abgohard1

^^^neither of them be on the radio doe, but does that matter? no
May 22, 2012 @ 06:37 PM
NZOO

but like, who's to say what's "shitty" and what's not? At the end of the day everybody has different taste so what they think is good or bad is really going to vary from person to person. Even if I personally don't like a certain music I don't feel like it has absolutely zero validity and therefore represents some sort of negative trend, its just wack music yo, people have always liked wack music and always will, what you really gonna do?

I know my opinion means jack shit to the artist, but it's def been a lack of timeless music that people can go back to 5 years from now and bump no problem. You think Lil B going to get played when people in their late 30s and shit. I just think it's a lack of quality music to stand test of time has been lost, my 2 cents again...

Don't badmind me.

May 22, 2012 @ 10:52 PM
thiskidfromWA

truth is op is a fuckboy and doesnt know what hes talking about.
May 23, 2012 @ 12:09 AM
JohnvHarrison

This is the same thing as when old people complain about the current state of the government. Just old ass niggas or pompous ass niggas that just need to fucking die already. Niggas hate shit if they didn't grow up with it. But those people need to stfu cause they already have a bias right there. Fuck hip-hop nigga, go complain to the record labels.

http://www.theyhatechange.com Beauty Squad Click on the rise #B$C Get down or lay down

May 23, 2012 @ 12:28 AM
Cheetah

why can't you spell fell off. fucking retard

I looked at this thread for about 3-4 days like wtf is this dude talking about?

I'm a test tube baby

May 23, 2012 @ 12:59 AM
damnwitless2

suspended

people are going to play Lil B when they're 30 REGARDLESS because if nothing else it will remind them of this time period, that's how nostalgia works, so just the fact that Lil B (or whoever) is widely popular in and of itself guarantees that people are going to be bumping it forever, not even to mention how hugely influential his whole movement was in popular music overall.

Y'all niggas really don't think there was dudes trying to shit on the Wu Tang in 93 because it didnt sound enough like Run DMC or some shit? Times change and there's always stragglers but you might as well just get with it and stop hating

May 23, 2012 @ 02:20 AM
NZOO

Wu had a "real" message behind their shit. Movements now days are based off how many niggas can get retweets, reposts, and youtube views. Remove all that shit what do you have left...

Being popular is cool and all with 1 or 2 songs to your name, but me personally when it comes to hiphop there are a select few of artists who I can go through their catalog and be pleased with their body of work, pause*, but I rarely see any new artists coming out with that type of talent which is why the genre is weak as fuck at this point to me.

Don't badmind me.

May 24, 2012 @ 10:26 AM
CONQ

This conversation happens in every new/immature genre of music, I think. At the moment, it's also going on in the electronic dance music scene.

How do you think OG hip hop heads felt when rappers in the 90s (Pac, big, jay) started rapping about having money and driving luxury cars??? Went against everything that hip hop in the 80s was about...
May 24, 2012 @ 12:46 PM
DStyles

inb4 young 13-year-olds say 2pac and big were "real hip hop"

May 24, 2012 @ 02:46 PM
0quze0

How do you think OG hip hop heads felt when rappers in the 90s (Pac, big, jay) started rapping about having money and driving luxury cars??? Went against everything that hip hop in the 80s was about...

Exactly.
inb4 young 13-year-olds say 2pac and big were "real hip hop"

They're just misstating what they feel. Nobody has that kind of heart, and ingenuity towards hip hop like they, and many others form that era had. Now it's just a lot of conformity, song features of who's hot at the moment, and letting the current aesthetic determine what the music people make sounds like.
Nobody in 10 years is gonna pull up a Lil' B song, and say "I used to love this song!" they'll laugh, and remember what it was like then, but not a genuine love for the music.

I can pull up so many songs from the 90's that evoke a real emotion, and resonate with how so many people feel/felt, because of the content.
May 24, 2012 @ 04:34 PM
DStyles

10 years ago a rapper by the name of 50 Cent came into the scene with Wanksta...

I still love that song.

May 24, 2012 @ 04:50 PM
0quze0

Cause it was passionate music from an artist with hunger/talent. I LOVE half of Get Rich or Die Tryin.
May 24, 2012 @ 05:26 PM
Freddie Benson

hip hop didnt fall off....talent did substance did truth did all of that is no longer relevant in todays rap/hip hop shit but the genre is still alive and moving along well, it just sucks that...well everyone sucks

anal del rey http://yellow-stuff.com

May 24, 2012 @ 05:37 PM
0quze0

That only fell off at the commercial level. People have conformed to being told what's dope, and sticking by it. People reference all the fine celebrity females, and all of that. What was dope at the commercial level back then was pure talent, and it was basically a community of emcees that knew or knew of each other at least (in New York). In the Bay, where they Sway & Tech popped off everybody knew each other as well. Know that it's a global thing, people are hugs&kisses just tryna pop off to the larger population.

It's a scarcity of people tryna earn respect for their craft. What the culture of hip hop has evolved to because of many different factors has affected the way people approach there rhymes.
May 24, 2012 @ 05:52 PM
Freddie Benson

your mostly right but i wouldnt say evolved,id say it regressed because the state is worse now and thats not only at the commercial leverl shit look at underground rappers, rappers who arent trying to make hit songs and shit...they suck too there is a lack of lyricism all around.

anal del rey http://yellow-stuff.com

May 24, 2012 @ 05:53 PM
ReZ

...nevermind, too easy.
May 24, 2012 @ 07:05 PM
damnwitless2

suspended

your mostly right but i wouldnt say evolved,id say it regressed because the state is worse now and thats not only at the commercial leverl shit look at underground rappers, rappers who arent trying to make hit songs and shit...they suck too there is a lack of lyricism all around.

you're just not looking hard enough, there's a lot of good shit coming out nowadays

May 24, 2012 @ 07:08 PM
TheBeatNut

you're just not looking hard enough, there's a lot of good shit coming out nowadays

^^This.. there is good stuff coming out on the reg. Cats are just too hard headed.

"They Throwin' Hate At Me"

May 24, 2012 @ 07:08 PM
NoStress

Hip-Hop is at such a good place right now, people aren't afraid to experiment anymore

burr

May 24, 2012 @ 07:16 PM
0quze0

Sene / Moruf / TDE / Elzhi / Bryant Dope / Joey Bada$$ / Wiki / Nast / King Solomon / Insane The Rebel / Romantic Movement in DC
That's off the top, but it is so watered down that you have to search, and even if you find someone dope they'll almost never be on, because their isn't really a platform for that type of artist. It's a shame there isn't many platforms locally to get exposure or fans going out to see new acts.
When the last time you went to a hip hop show without knowing who was performing?

Please login first to reply.