April 12, 2012 @ 11:10 PM
Swag Ketchum

Gernegy & Maties - Biceps: http://youtu.be/n8SbPAGcD2w

KiD CuDi's "In My Dreams" is entirely a sample. Underground band not credited anywhere in the liner notes either. Shame on Emile and the KiD CuDi camp.

As a producer/artist, I care because as an unknown artist, I'd be pissed as hell if my work got sampled for a major label work without being credited or compensated for in any way whatsoever. Keep in mind that I am not against sampling (I do it myself, and I AM aware that hip-hop was created from sampling); however, I AM against generating thousands, perhaps millions, of dollars in capital for a supposedly original work that is actually entirely someone else's (all they did was add strings). If this was a free mixtape, then I wouldn't even care if there was no credit given. Just... Damn.

What do y'all think?
April 12, 2012 @ 11:55 PM
NZOO

If it was a prob, dude would've been sued by now.

Don't badmind me.

April 12, 2012 @ 11:56 PM
JimmyRS

I just looked at the sample credits... That song was listed, homie.
April 13, 2012 @ 12:37 AM
Swag Ketchum

This is a Wikipedia screenshot from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_on_the_Moon:_The_End_of_Day.

This is an excerpt from the digital PDF:
Written By: S.Mescudi, E. Haynie // Published By: Elsie's Baby Boy
Publishing (ASCAP) Heavy Crate Publishing (ASCAP) // Produced By:
Emile Haynie for Emile Music Inc // Recorded by Emile Haynie at The
Broski Room, New York, NY // Mixed By: Manny Marroquin @ Larrabee
Studios, (Universal City, CA) assisted by Christian Plata and Erik Madrid
mastered by Vlado Meller @ Universal Mastering Studios, NYC // assisted
by Mark Santangelo // Strings arranged & Conducted by Larry Gold at
The Studio 215 // Strings by The Larry Gold Orchestra. All rights reserved.
Used by permission.

These are my photos from my vinyl album liner notes. Left image is "Simple As"; right image is "In My Dreams". "Simple As" credits a sample. "In My Dreams" does not.

Anyway, I just posted this to bring some sort of attention to the matter (if some view it as unnecessary attention, then that is completely fine). I did not post this thread to direct hate towards any artist or person.
April 13, 2012 @ 12:39 AM
Swag Ketchum

The Wikipedia release just shows that somebody edited the article to put the sample source in there. It doesn't even have a parenthetical citation to link you to where that information came from.

Both the digital and physical (at least on vinyl) liner notes appear to not credit the artist.

If it was a prob, dude would've been sued by now.

Maybe.
April 13, 2012 @ 01:53 AM
nikbates

Wow what a new development... I'm curious to see how this pans out. Never would've thought, as the song fits into the whole album so well. But we have confirmation this came out before Cudi's album?

M RED/GREEN PARENTAL ADVISORY, CORD PULLOVER http://hypebeast.com/forums/apparel/195327

April 13, 2012 @ 02:55 AM
RelaxRelapse

Wow what a new development... I'm curious to see how this pans out. Never would've thought, as the song fits into the whole album so well. But we have confirmation this came out before Cudi's album?

The song in the OP came out sometime in the 80's. It's possible they got permission, but didn't write the sample in the credits though.
April 13, 2012 @ 04:01 AM
cheezyDaba

sampled...but not entirely the sample theres changes
April 13, 2012 @ 04:39 AM
iAmSofaKing

Blame Plain Pat

For Sale: Large Navy Supreme Floral Polo WTB: Medium Black Supreme Roses Football Top

April 13, 2012 @ 05:13 AM
AMuells

Blame Emile
April 13, 2012 @ 05:27 AM
nikbates

The song in the OP came out sometime in the 80's. It's possible they got permission, but didn't write the sample in the credits though.

I see, sounds like an album I need to go dig for and listen to!

M RED/GREEN PARENTAL ADVISORY, CORD PULLOVER http://hypebeast.com/forums/apparel/195327

April 13, 2012 @ 01:51 PM
artistiq

Damn that's crazy, this song was put out in 1983 too.
April 14, 2012 @ 12:05 AM
AlwayS_DreSSeD

it's not entirely a sample at all... there's mad original composition over it

www.NickyDsss.com

April 14, 2012 @ 12:16 AM
ouija

Haha yeah it sucks that the guy wasn't credited, but it's not like they didn't add anything to the song either. It's not "entirely" a sample within the first :15 seconds.

Please login first to reply.