Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
April 6, 2012 @ 10:59 PM
unemployed

April 6, 2012 @ 11:24 PM
slrsnds

real shit right here, start off simple and strive for more. I'm still using just a macbook with logic and reason. Not sure about pc software, pro tools or ableton maybe?
April 7, 2012 @ 12:34 AM
kRaws

real shit right here, start off simple and strive for more. I'm still using just a macbook with logic and reason. Not sure about pc software, pro tools or ableton maybe?

dope video and good advice bruh

if youre just starting out, software can handle most of the things you'll want to do/practice/learn

you don't need to drop $700 on studio equipment until you're actually able to utilize it

ctyaprvl.com | cityapproval.com | cityapproval.tumblr.com

April 7, 2012 @ 01:01 AM
Gutts

MPC Studio gonna drop pretty soon. I think it's gonna be $600. get it!
April 7, 2012 @ 01:48 AM
Gilly Suits

Choose a music software, top programs are Ableton, Cubase, FL Studio, Reaper, Reason, Logic, and Pro Tools.
That will run you like $200~400 bucks though you can save money by torrenting if you want though I am a strong believer in buying my music programs. Also Reaper is only 60 bucks if you check my thread United Producer I have a Link to a free Ableton Lite 8 and bunch of freeware VSTs.

Then I suggest an Audio Interface which might run you about $100~500 though you can buy many used or in packages. *Side note* most Audio Interfaces come with light versions of the full program. Most have everything you will need to make killer beats and just as strong minus a few points.

You also may want good headphones or monitors. Again about $100 plus. I'd try buying these used as they appear frequently on ebay or amazon.

Last thing you may want is an midi control about $50 plus. You could actually get the Akai Mini which will have both pads and keys for $100 which is a pretty good deal.

So all in all if you take advantage of packages and such.

I'd buy a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 inferface for $150 though you can usually use coupon to get down to like $135. I personally have it and only stand by Focusrite as they make the best preamps imo. Reason I choose the Focusrite for you it comes with Ableton Lite 8 saving you money on a software. And comes with 2 VST plugins a vintage compressor and vintage reverb both which are excellent. Also by having this form of Ableton Lite 8 you will have cheaper upgrades in future if you decide to stick with them. Avid Pro Tools also do packages like this but usually for $250+. Reason does one for about $450 with their Balance interface which does a new feature most interfaces don't do clip safe though if you don't plan to record still with Focusrite.

I suggest the Audio Technica ATH-M35 or KRK headphones as both are cheap and in great quality for mixing as they are flat which is what you want both can be purchased for around $50.

Now you can get an midi controller if you please. I did recommend Akai up top though I never use Akai because with a PC its a bitch to update your controller to work. I am a big Novation or M-Audio Person. With the $400 left you could get a nice controller such as the Axiom 49 2nd Gen or the New Novation Impulse. There are cheaper solutions that are just as good such as the KeyRig which is sold at Best Buy. It's made by M-Audio costs about $100. Features you would be missing are more faders, pads, and weighted keys I believe but it def gets the job done.

If you go with my cheap solution with the Focusrite package/Headphone/Keyrig you'd pay: $300
If you go better controller or software about: $500

Hope this helps

Culective.com //

April 7, 2012 @ 04:09 AM
unemployed

oh alright thanks dude !
April 7, 2012 @ 04:29 AM
Gutts

^^^^^^^^^
The MPC Studio comes with software, and it comes like 6 or 7 gbs of samples.

I have an MPC 1000 and it's all I really learned to use so I'm sticking with the same system. And the MPC Studio bridges the MPC to a DAW. I'm so stoked on it.
April 7, 2012 @ 11:50 AM
chef_

people make amazing tunes with just a mouse keyboard and a program like reason or fruity loops and you can most probably download them jus sayin, if its just for fun to start with you may as well spend as least as you can.
April 7, 2012 @ 04:40 PM

Inactive

Choose a music software, top programs are Ableton, Cubase, FL Studio, Reaper, Reason, Logic, and Pro Tools.
That will run you like $200~400 bucks though you can save money by torrenting if you want though I am a strong believer in buying my music programs. Also Reaper is only 60 bucks if you check my thread United Producer I have a Link to a free Ableton Lite 8 and bunch of freeware VSTs.

Then I suggest an Audio Interface which might run you about $100~500 though you can buy many used or in packages. *Side note* most Audio Interfaces come with light versions of the full program. Most have everything you will need to make killer beats and just as strong minus a few points.

You also may want good headphones or monitors. Again about $100 plus. I'd try buying these used as they appear frequently on ebay or amazon.

Last thing you may want is an midi control about $50 plus. You could actually get the Akai Mini which will have both pads and keys for $100 which is a pretty good deal.

So all in all if you take advantage of packages and such.

I'd buy a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 inferface for $150 though you can usually use coupon to get down to like $135. I personally have it and only stand by Focusrite as they make the best preamps imo. Reason I choose the Focusrite for you it comes with Ableton Lite 8 saving you money on a software. And comes with 2 VST plugins a vintage compressor and vintage reverb both which are excellent. Also by having this form of Ableton Lite 8 you will have cheaper upgrades in future if you decide to stick with them. Avid Pro Tools also do packages like this but usually for $250+. Reason does one for about $450 with their Balance interface which does a new feature most interfaces don't do clip safe though if you don't plan to record still with Focusrite.

I suggest the Audio Technica ATH-M35 or KRK headphones as both are cheap and in great quality for mixing as they are flat which is what you want both can be purchased for around $50.

Now you can get an midi controller if you please. I did recommend Akai up top though I never use Akai because with a PC its a bitch to update your controller to work. I am a big Novation or M-Audio Person. With the $400 left you could get a nice controller such as the Axiom 49 2nd Gen or the New Novation Impulse. There are cheaper solutions that are just as good such as the KeyRig which is sold at Best Buy. It's made by M-Audio costs about $100. Features you would be missing are more faders, pads, and weighted keys I believe but it def gets the job done.

If you go with my cheap solution with the Focusrite package/Headphone/Keyrig you'd pay: $300
If you go better controller or software about: $500

Hope this helps

April 7, 2012 @ 09:26 PM
RenAi beast

Get an iPad, even a first gen one will do (cheaper, too).

Buy Beatmaker 2 by INTUA from app store. Võila.

Might cost $20 and other times half that during a promotional run, but it can do all the things my $2000 (at the time) MPC2500 can.

It has native resolutions for both iPhone and iPad.

www.DOUBLEDONUTS.com www.DOUBLEDONUTS.tumblr.com

April 7, 2012 @ 10:16 PM
TheAbstrakt

torrent fl studio and just mess around
April 7, 2012 @ 11:23 PM
datniqqararthur

been wanting to make beat for the longest too, thanks for the helpful posts.

Life was simple til we moved to tha hood.

April 8, 2012 @ 07:51 AM
tunnelno5

how i got started. something simple like fruit loops will help you understand the process of sequencing,tracks, panning, mixing etc. from there, you can see if you like the software game, or go a hardware route. i personally went hardware because i like the hands on, its easier imo

http://tunnelno5.bandcamp.com http://tunnelno5.tumblr.com http://www.youtube.com/user/TUNNELNO5beats/videos http://twitter.com/tunnelno5

April 11, 2012 @ 10:43 AM
Gilly Suits

how i got started. something simple like fruit loops will help you understand the process of sequencing,tracks, panning, mixing etc. from there, you can see if you like the software game, or go a hardware route. i personally went hardware because i like the hands on, its easier imo

LOLz that's how I look at software like a fricken video game always thought I was weird for that

Culective.com //

April 12, 2012 @ 12:07 AM
RA*SAN

i'd suggest software to start off since it's cheaper on the pocket and easy to get a hold of. see how you like it. FL is a good start. One thing i will say having experience with both hardware and software for making beats is that i enjoy the hands on feel of hardware but the ability to mix on software is alot more convenient in my experience..programs like FL and ableton come with several eq's, compressors, vst and other tools that allow you really shape your sound in one session as opposed to exporting your tracks from hardware into a daw and then doing your mixing.
April 12, 2012 @ 02:09 AM
theworst

im no expert but dont go buying all this equipment when you first start at anything you're interested in.
just start with somethin small, torrent some programs (if youre ok with that) and just mess around for a couple months.
If you really enjoy doing it (just the act of making beats) then go out and drop some money on some good headphones and a midi thing.

http://soundcloud.com/theworst

Please login first to reply.