FALL SALE - 20% OFF - USE CODE: FALL20 (48 HOURS ONLY)
January 22, 2012 @ 01:40 AM
obakeissick

Anyone got any tips and shit? I've mostly just been going by the cover and what year it came out and shit.

how do you guys know you've found a good record?

haileybardwick.tumblr.com

January 22, 2012 @ 01:52 AM
Deweze

Well show us what you consider good records first so we can help.
January 22, 2012 @ 02:14 AM
damnwitless2

suspended

the vibe man...

All I do is smoke weed, blow lines, and listen to MF DOOM. And rap. http://www.facebook.com/SpacemanNYC

January 22, 2012 @ 02:36 AM
obakeissick

it's just a question... i'm asking what YOU look at.

January 22, 2012 @ 04:01 AM
Deweze

Ok so get a record that you like obviously, then if you want to make music with that sort of sound, look at artists that worked with the artist you like. For example if your first record was a Johnny Otis song, you might want to get some Etta James next.
January 22, 2012 @ 05:21 AM
Quincy Banks

Pay attention to labels, artists and instruments, dig a cover, and do research yo. It's really all about catching a vibe and learning through digging over time...

quincybanks.bandcamp.com | quincybanks.tumblr.com | instagram.com/quincybanks | twitter.com/QQuincyBanks | soundcloud.com/quincybanks

January 22, 2012 @ 07:09 AM

Inactive

how can i sample directly from vinyl?

i've always just downloaded the albums online and sampled from there but obvi not all albums are online..

i have tables and a mixer so how can i sample? i use fruity loops btw
January 22, 2012 @ 07:40 AM
Quincy Banks

You need an audio interface if your making beats with software. The audio interface let's you bring sounds from your mixer (and turntable) to your computer via USB.

quincybanks.bandcamp.com | quincybanks.tumblr.com | instagram.com/quincybanks | twitter.com/QQuincyBanks | soundcloud.com/quincybanks

January 22, 2012 @ 07:46 AM

Inactive

so something like audacity?
January 22, 2012 @ 09:57 AM
obakeissick

all i mean is how do you know that the vibe is everything you want it to be?

i mean i'm all about finding a record that feels like it's right but,

how do you know it's the one. what the fuck are you looking at???

January 22, 2012 @ 10:21 AM
RA*SAN

how can i sample directly from vinyl?

i've always just downloaded the albums online and sampled from there but obvi not all albums are online..

i have tables and a mixer so how can i sample? i use fruity loops btw

you can go from your mixer into your computer's line in with a Y cable.
January 22, 2012 @ 05:40 PM
damnwitless2

suspended

smh you askin too many questions nigga, if you not sure just flip the sample anyway. Fear of failure is for lames.

All I do is smoke weed, blow lines, and listen to MF DOOM. And rap. http://www.facebook.com/SpacemanNYC

January 22, 2012 @ 09:10 PM
Quincy Banks

You learn through experience man. Paying attention to the year is my biggest thing. There is a golden era for every genre of music. Just go out and buy some cheap records then listen to them. The ones that you like, take note of the year/artist/label/instruments and use that knowledge when you go out digging again and you will just keep on getting a better feel for what you like...

January 23, 2012 @ 03:02 PM
wincesquints

I've literally gotten great samples from heaps of different genres, eras, artists etc. I usually just go off feeling while flicking through a crate. If something makes me stop and really look at it, I put it in my 'maybe' pile.

.I bought 7 records today, have gone through 3 so far for a total of at least 4 good samples I'll use. I spent no more than 10 minutes in the store, flicked through about 3 crates and was done because I was confident in what I picked. The main thing is having an open mind when you listening to the records you buy not in the purchasing stage itself. Great samples are everywhere.

One thing I often do check in the buying stage is who produced the album (most albums were helmed by a single producer in the vinyl era) as the same names will pop up time and again.

PIXEL ART & BEATS TUMBLR. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT. 2012 © TUMBLR MUSIC SPOTLIGHT FEAT. | WINCESQUINTS.TUMBLR.COM | SOUNDCLOUD.COM/WINCE84

January 23, 2012 @ 07:24 PM
totalespionage

Try looking through you family's old collection. My uncle is a music fanatic and dude has a shed in his backyard full of shit. My mom has a good collection from when she was young as well as my grandad. I have found some of my rarest samples from them. You should give that a try. Also friends who have relatives with nice collections is a good place to look.

Please login first to reply.