FLASH SALE - 25% OFF - USE CODE: FLASH25 (25 HOURS ONLY)
December 5, 2011 @ 03:59 AM
Constellations

OF isn't a hip hop group, they have two fucking rappers.... wtf

wat?

earl
tyler
mike g
domo
hodgy

thats 5

\X/

December 5, 2011 @ 06:21 AM
NoStress

Im pretty sure that was a diss lol.

burr

December 5, 2011 @ 05:24 PM
eholt3p

all i have to say is the wu tang clan aint nothing to fuck with. and rocafella/dugneon family have been doing this for years. nothing new but it is the truth. SOAPBOXSTAR
December 5, 2011 @ 06:52 PM
WOLFdayz

the line between label and group is becoming more blurred
December 5, 2011 @ 09:15 PM
Quincy Banks

the line between label and group is becoming more blurred

Word

quincybanks.bandcamp.com | quincybanks.tumblr.com | instagram.com/quincybanks | twitter.com/QQuincyBanks | soundcloud.com/quincybanks

December 5, 2011 @ 09:17 PM
Daws

what rapper has ever stood on his own, really?

Nas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ePQKD9iBfU
December 5, 2011 @ 09:25 PM
IdrisElba

Groups have been around since the dawn of Hip Hop, it's nothing new. And rappers can easily stand out on their own. Doom for example, arguably the biggest underground rapper there is. i don't know too many people who'd know Monster Island Czars over his solo stuff.
December 5, 2011 @ 11:41 PM
SFCA

damn I miss def jux

Cigarettes, Ice Cream and Figurines of the Virgin Mary http://www.last.fm/user/actsyalawlz

December 6, 2011 @ 01:42 AM
jlaz93

What about murder inc. ja rule killed it back in the day

Lupe Fiasco got co-signs from kanye but isn't a part of good and wasn't when he cracked into fame same with Common came up by him self well and no i.d. but he did his soulaquarian thing that was a group who prob couldn't be fuck with.
Also to contradict my self All City Chess Club was organized then hasn't don't anything but if they did collab together more it would be nice.
December 6, 2011 @ 03:13 AM
on.point

A lot of people are mixing up a collective and then a group. GOOD Music, OF, etc are collectives, but Wu Tang is arguably a group (with a few honorary members I guess)
December 6, 2011 @ 06:05 AM
KoreanJesus

lupe is in CRS with Ye and Pharrell
December 6, 2011 @ 06:51 AM
NoStress

A lot of people are mixing up a collective and then a group. GOOD Music, OF, etc are collectives, but Wu Tang is arguably a group (with a few honorary members I guess)

Groups, collectives, posse, doesn't matter what you call em. They are a group of artist who consistently collab within their circle.

burr

December 6, 2011 @ 01:59 PM
Shoutbox

when it comes to lupe and nas you guys are wrong in saying they need a group to remain relevant or w/e

nas had many frequent collaborators and firm didnt really "help" him succeed he wouldve been popular w/o ever being in that group. same goes for lupe, he frequently collabs with pharrell and ye and they are in CRS but they only got like 2 songs out (lol) so CRS doesnt really affect his rate of success atleast not yet.

so what im saying is that its not the same when you form a group with frequent collaborators and when youre ONLY relevant/successful because of that group, like many members in OF i.e. Mike G, Domo, Syd. they only became relevant because they are apart of OF whereas Tyler and Frank Ocean would have prolly found some form of success as Solo artist.
December 6, 2011 @ 04:27 PM
$$$$$

I wish CRS actually made songs. sad
December 6, 2011 @ 06:22 PM
bulldogskoleff

Artists get involved with groups to showcase their talent compared to others in order to make themselves stand out. Guys like J Cole, Drake, Big Sean didn't just start out in Roc Nation, Young Money, GOOD music; they had to showcase their talent on their own at first, and then based off of how well their music was perceived, these groups invited them in to give them a better chance to shine and give them more exposure. At first they started on their own, maybe repping their own personal groups like OVO for example, but in order to really get their name out there, they had to be lucky enough to get noticed by a group. Nobody could make it completely solo; even if you're the greatest artist on Earth you need help. Take The Weeknd for example; he dropped House of Balloons which is an incredible mix tape, but it would not have gotten anywhere near the amount of exposure as it did had Drake never tweeted about him. Then on Thursday, he collaborated with Drizzy on just 1 song and together they started repping OVOXO. It's not possible to make it without the help of other people, because then then the artist would never get the opportunity to showcase their talent with artists who have already established a name and reputation for themselves. An artist wants to be able to rep a group that already has a reputation for that exact reason; they already have a reputation. You have to start off solo and make the best possible music you can, and then when you collaborate with other artists, you have to outshine them as well, then you can really get the attention of the big names in the game, which is what every artist who is trying to make it wants.
December 6, 2011 @ 10:22 PM
ali.breland

I think this trend is rising out of necessity. The function of groups is to account for the fact that hip-hop and the music industry in general is devolving and becoming increasingly splintered because of the internet. There used to be like a few big cats who got all the attention and now everyone with a decent amount of talent (and some without) are riding the internet hype machine. It's hard to get attention in this format so groups are built to account for that. That's how Doomtree's survived so long independently, and it only makes sense that's how a lot of independent artists are coming up now.

http://alibreland.tumblr.com

December 7, 2011 @ 03:53 AM
soussoulrecords

I think this trend is rising given out of necessity. The function of groups is to account for the fact that hip-hop and the music industry in general is devolving and becoming increasingly splintered because of the internet. There used to be like a few big cats who got all the attention and now everyone with a decent amount of talent (and some without) are riding the internet hype machine. It's hard to get attention in this format so groups are built to account for that. That's how Doomtree's survived so long independently, and it only makes sense that's how a lot of independent artists are coming up now.

Well said. That's kinda the way I was thinking about it. Obviously there have always been groups, but what I'm mostly saying is like because of the changing industry, you literally have to have a team around you with other content that fans can look at. Like if a video went viral from one artist, and they're repping a group, the other content the group is putting out is usually pretty dope too.
December 7, 2011 @ 03:17 PM
ali.breland

I think this trend is rising given out of necessity. The function of groups is to account for the fact that hip-hop and the music industry in general is devolving and becoming increasingly splintered because of the internet. There used to be like a few big cats who got all the attention and now everyone with a decent amount of talent (and some without) are riding the internet hype machine. It's hard to get attention in this format so groups are built to account for that. That's how Doomtree's survived so long independently, and it only makes sense that's how a lot of independent artists are coming up now.

Well said. That's kinda the way I was thinking about it. Obviously there have always been groups, but what I'm mostly saying is like because of the changing industry, you literally have to have a team around you with other content that fans can look at. Like if a video went viral from one artist, and they're repping a group, the other content the group is putting out is usually pretty dope too.

Thank you, and precisely. That's why Odd Future has managed to do so well. They've created a system in which they circumvent most outlets, and people go straight to their blog for their original content, and some of the better Odd Future media, that they curate for the public. They're not subject to the ebb and flow of the media as much, and they can rep the whole group.

http://alibreland.tumblr.com

December 7, 2011 @ 04:37 PM
meanwhile

Organized Threat Is That New Shit... FUCK ODD FUTURE, A$AP, YMCMB, & Anything Else

www.organizedthreat.com
http://hypebeast.com/forums/​music/​official-organized-threat-threa​d/

http://www.facebook.com/#!/meanwhilefans http://twitter.com/#!/DjMeanWhiLe

December 7, 2011 @ 04:53 PM
Norrin Radd

Badboys (circa 90's), Dipset, Rocafella, Death Row, Ruff Ryders, Wutang etc There have always been movements in hip hop. No one really does it alone

this

Lil JoJo : i really want rizal! 13:10

December 7, 2011 @ 06:13 PM
DStyles

edit: my comment is too controversial

Last.fm - DStyles23 Xbox Live GT: DStyles23

December 8, 2011 @ 08:17 PM
JoshP

Check out this group from VA
December 8, 2011 @ 08:51 PM
lazyogi

music as an art is back.

"you know snowfish aren't real right?" "nigga stfu"

December 8, 2011 @ 09:00 PM
soussoulrecords

Organized Threat Is That New Shit... FUCK ODD FUTURE, A$AP, YMCMB, & Anything Else
www.organizedthreat.com

your shit is pretty dope yo. sounds like a combo of early 2000's Roc, Wu-Tang and OF. i mean im not one to use a popular hypebeast thread for my own promotion haha, but check my group out too. yall never heard shit like this.

December 8, 2011 @ 09:01 PM
soussoulrecords

music as an art is back.

hell yes
December 8, 2011 @ 09:04 PM
JoshP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e35qcOPsMw
December 8, 2011 @ 10:15 PM
abovetheseclouds

LIL B is solo

lil b >>>>>>>>>>
December 8, 2011 @ 10:31 PM
NoStress

www.organizedthreat.com

your shit is pretty dope yo. sounds like a combo of early 2000's Roc, Wu-Tang and OF. i mean im not one to use a popular hypebeast thread for my own promotion haha, but check my group out too. yall never heard shit like this.

Your production is pretty cool.
Kudos for going over that James Pants beat

burr

December 8, 2011 @ 10:32 PM
NoStress

burr

December 9, 2011 @ 12:22 AM
kbos

www.organizedthreat.com

www.organizedthreat.com

howd your crew hook up with jus allah tho thats dope. real recognize real.

Please login first to reply.