Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
October 3, 2011 @ 12:08 AM
Beach2theBay

I forgot to mention that. I think having a big vocab fucks you up too. I fucks with CG heavy but I think his need to be clever is going to hinder him. The average pop/rap fan isn't going to pay attention to his lyrics or get them the way people on this board might and they'll think he's just saying dumb shit to rhyme. However, I guess the same thing can be said about Weezy just to a lesser degree. I do think Gambino tries too hard though.
October 3, 2011 @ 12:13 AM
murklur

ludacris went to college too

ok now you're just fucking with me
October 3, 2011 @ 12:15 AM
murklur

I forgot to mention that. I think having a big vocab fucks you up too. I fucks with CG heavy but I think his need to be clever is going to hinder him. The average pop/rap fan isn't going to pay attention to his lyrics or get them the way people on this board might and they'll think he's just saying dumb shit to rhyme. However, I guess the same thing can be said about Weezy just to a lesser degree. I do think Gambino tries too hard though.

that's why i don't mess with his music at all. i tried
October 3, 2011 @ 12:17 AM
Beach2theBay

He tries too hard to have commercial success but he'll be big in the indie scene for sure, bigger than his is now. CG is my dude.
October 3, 2011 @ 10:28 AM
OddMenOut

Education is education. It's the individual's choice whether or not to strive for it and then whether or not to use what they've learned.

ODDMENOUT | A Standard Apart

October 3, 2011 @ 11:41 AM
YoungHawk03

I don't think there's anyway that an education can hurt you
October 3, 2011 @ 12:51 PM
damnwitless2

suspended

yo you really are stupid as fuck

All I do is smoke weed, blow lines, and listen to MF DOOM. And rap. http://www.facebook.com/SpacemanNYC

October 3, 2011 @ 12:57 PM
Beach2theBay

Nope. Lots of people argee Childish Gambino tries too hard. Plus, I have a college degree cool.
October 3, 2011 @ 01:04 PM
damnwitless2

suspended

and on topic, If you do or don't respect somebody based on whether or not they went to college, you're almost as dumb as beach2thebay because everybody has their own reasons for doing whatever the fuck they do, and chances are you'll never be able to fully understand another man's motivations.

Rap is like everything else, and if you're sitting around with this predetermined perception of what a rapper is "supposed to be" you're just limiting yourself based on your own simple ass prejudice. There have been grimy street rappers that have college degrees (Das Efx, Chubb Rock) and n!iggas who do nothing but rap about their knowledge who dropped out in the 10th grade, it really just varies from person to person.

But, if you're the kind of person who listens to hip-hop music as some sort of escapist fantasy of the black community, then I can understand why you don't want your rappers college educated with big vocabularies, it doesn't have that same effect, the ignorant macho hyper-masculinity that for some reason pinoys, hipsters and suburban rich kids can't get enough of is missing and people evidently don't have the attention span or intellect to appreciate the alternative.

All I do is smoke weed, blow lines, and listen to MF DOOM. And rap. http://www.facebook.com/SpacemanNYC

October 3, 2011 @ 01:10 PM
Beach2theBay

How am I stupid because I think CG vocab makes him try to hard? At least reference something that makes sense brah. I've even said I relate to rappers who've been to college since I'm a graduate. I'm just saying it effects the way the average listener sees them. Stupid.

Mike Posner graduated from Duke. He's somewhat successful. Childish Gambino graduated from NYU and he's doing his thing. I respect anyone who had to hustle to get where they are. Also I can relate to them more since I'm a college graduate. Going to college doesn't mean you're soft or had an easy life. I graduated and I'm still fucking broke so I could definitely say a thing or two about hustling and struggling.

Now people like Diggy or Drake I look at skeptically because they're so privileged they didn't even have to go to college.

sucka
October 3, 2011 @ 02:32 PM
fressssh

No i do not

If a nikka ain't from the hood then he ain't got my respect nah mean dawg

not sure if troll or just a broke fuck -.-
October 3, 2011 @ 02:32 PM
damnwitless2

suspended

I think having a degreee makes a rapper less interesting personally. First, rappers with degrees don't have to try or hustle as hard because they don't have as much to gain or lose. A street ♥♥♥♥♥ with no future is gonna go hard as fuck because rap is all he has. He'll also probably have better stories than someone who spent their youth in a classroom. Second, having a degree kind of limits your market. The majority of rap is about hustling and finally making it. You don't have to hustle as hard if you're in college somewhere and that shrinks the amount of rap fans who relate to you. I guess if you make simping ass rap that's not a problem but you're still shrinking your market. Look at Childish Gambino's fan base. I can't see any hood dudes getting into him.

yeah case in point, go back to the Warped Tour faggot lol

October 3, 2011 @ 02:37 PM
2ichard3rooks

Rappers with Degrees:

Actual Proof
www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKrxuX5yXx0

Kidz In The Hall
www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSYq9zO5SDw

edit: I believe Jay-Z graduated top honors from the school of Hardknocks cool
October 3, 2011 @ 03:44 PM
CaliforniaKid

theres no real reaason to go to college if you got talent rapping it seems like a waste of time imo i respect dropouts waaay more for risking it and believing in their shit and making it against the odds plus a degree dont really mean shit i mean you might get a better job but thats it, cole was nice befor he finished college too

Saying you respect someone more for dropping out of college to pursue a rap career is just dumb. It's more respectable if you can go to college, be involved in groups and activities and STILL procure a good rap career. It is easy to drop out of college and pursue a career in entertainment and you're not being brave or a hero or anything because you can always go back to college.
October 3, 2011 @ 03:46 PM
Jay_Bird

nah i like my rappers retarded as fuck
October 3, 2011 @ 04:56 PM
Juki

and on topic, If you do or don't respect somebody based on whether or not they went to college, you're almost as dumb as beach2thebay because everybody has their own reasons for doing whatever the fuck they do, and chances are you'll never be able to fully understand another man's motivations.

Rap is like everything else, and if you're sitting around with this predetermined perception of what a rapper is "supposed to be" you're just limiting yourself based on your own simple ass prejudice. There have been grimy street rappers that have college degrees (Das Efx, Chubb Rock) and n!iggas who do nothing but rap about their knowledge who dropped out in the 10th grade, it really just varies from person to person.

But, if you're the kind of person who listens to hip-hop music as some sort of escapist fantasy of the black community, then I can understand why you don't want your rappers college educated with big vocabularies, it doesn't have that same effect, the ignorant macho hyper-masculinity that for some reason pinoys, hipsters and suburban rich kids can't get enough of is missing and people evidently don't have the attention span or intellect to appreciate the alternative.

True, mainly its an issue if going to college can make you a better rapper. Its hard to tell since most rappers don't. but you have a different appeal to fans or perspective in rap in general if you do. Raps pretty much been always anti-education/college for good reason. Thats what sells. Thats why not many rappers have college degrees or even promote it. I can't tell you how many lyrics I've heard where rappers basically say "fuck school" or don't mention college. But to each his own.

I can understand where Beach2bay or Frocks are coming from. Its like a rap mentality. Most people listen too hip hop for the entertainment or " escapist fantasy of the black community". But Rappers themselves sort of set this precedent of not needing to get an education, or just having "street cred" or street smarts versus college life and book smarts. Still, J. Cole's the best exception to that rule to me. And a good example of how this isn't always the case. Maybe Drake too....and they're both half white on top of that. hmm, but thats another issue.

Doubleclutchhoops.com

October 3, 2011 @ 05:07 PM
Beach2theBay

yeah damnwitless is tripping. I personally like rappers with education becuz i can relate to them more. I was just saying from a marketing stand point, it's harder for the majority of rap fans to relate to them. It's common knowledge conscious rap doesn't sell like fuck bitches, get money, shoot ♥♥♥♥♥s does.

Also, a degree only makes a rapper better depending on their major. I majored in Marketing so my vocab/word play wouldn't be effected at all. My vocab is better because I read independently and have natural intelligence. Education =/= intelligence. Anyone could be an expert in a certain field but not know shit else.
October 3, 2011 @ 05:26 PM
tonysteak

haha, Gucci didn't really go to college.....did he?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTmeLKTBg-Y

0:33

www.twitter.com/tonysteak

Please login first to reply.