Free Worldwide Shipping
Spend $150 USD or more. Click for details.
September 20, 2011 @ 11:43 AM
Yung Harvey Specter

I have none, I'm not sure if it's a confidence issue but when I'm writing lyrics down it flows in my head... but when I recite... it sounds oddly choppy and just overall off beat (even when there's no beat)

So how can I go about fixing this?
sad

A Nigga So Young, Sandusky Tryin To Fuck Me.

September 20, 2011 @ 12:10 PM
Slim2010

Yeah I rap my self. Just takes practice and confidence listen to the right artists. Lay off lil b listen to j cole
September 20, 2011 @ 12:17 PM
zinmaru

flow
Just like every other skill it takes a lot of practice and patience. Listen to as much hip-hop as you can so you can use many styles to develop your own. Usually if you sit there and only study one artist, you'll just end up being a clone of said rapper. I'm an MC as well, and flow is definitely something I take extremely seriously, so be sure to just study how a lot of dope artists ride beats. For me it was dudes like MF DOOM, AZ, Nas, Eminem, Kool G. Rap and a shit load of other dope MC's.
September 20, 2011 @ 01:37 PM
damnwitless2

suspended

the key is to think of your tongue as a rhythm instrument. As a rapper, you have to be comfortable with linguistic gymnastics, tongue twisters and shit like that because that's what you trade in. So before you even start writing lyrics, work out a flow. If you watch a lot of dudes before they write, they'll just sit there rocking to the beat just incoherently mumbling things but with different cadences and accentuations, it's because the flow has to come before the lyrics. If you're thinking in terms of a specific cadence then you'd be surprised how fluidly the lyrics will just fit into that as opposed to writing lyrics and trying to cram them into a flow.

All I do is smoke weed, blow lines, and listen to MF DOOM. And rap. http://www.facebook.com/SpacemanNYC

September 25, 2011 @ 12:25 AM
Yung Harvey Specter

Thanks for the input, def putting more practice hrs in

A Nigga So Young, Sandusky Tryin To Fuck Me.

September 25, 2011 @ 12:37 AM
DOUGDoesMusic

My technique for achieving a good cadence starts with the opening line. Try to start the song by writing the best line you think you can write. It starts there.

Once you have that solid first line, add another. Recite the two together until you've memorized it. Keep adding additional lines, memorizing the previous ones as you go. You tend not to repeat the the same cadence (a la drake and wayne) and you more likely to construct something original.

You need to be your worst critic. Don't settle for ONE weak line. Make them all the most impressive thing you can come up with. More times than not, the end product will be respectable. Too many times, emcees have 2 catchy rhymes, and the rest are surrounded by regurgitated shit you've heard before. Or, its predictable as all hell. Make every word count. When I'm done writing a song, I go back and change words that have more value to the overall rhyme pattern. Anyway, you'll find what works best for you through practice.
September 25, 2011 @ 02:18 AM
DOUGDoesMusic

I take pride in my varying flow. Here is an example,

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjcSClhEbcQ&feature=related
September 25, 2011 @ 02:59 AM
Izuna

I love my flow. It varies and gets a bit offbeat but in a classy way cool

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| http://soundcloud.com/izuna ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

September 25, 2011 @ 03:05 AM
DOUGDoesMusic

I dig it Izuna. You're hitting the tuplets. At first listen, it sounds off beat, but there is a pattern to it. Props.
September 25, 2011 @ 03:07 AM
Freddie Benson

MF Doom always sounds offbeat but ♥♥♥♥♥s like him

confusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfused

lawl

i always thought it was like natural rhythm staying on beat honestly

anal del rey http://yellow-stuff.com

September 25, 2011 @ 03:27 AM
Izuna

I dig it Izuna. You're hitting the tuplets. At first listen, it sounds off beat, but there is a pattern to it. Props.

Thanks Sir cool

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| http://soundcloud.com/izuna ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

September 25, 2011 @ 05:20 AM
UnaFashionista

the key is to think of your tongue as a rhythm instrument. As a rapper, you have to be comfortable with linguistic gymnastics, tongue twisters and shit like that because that's what you trade in. So before you even start writing lyrics, work out a flow. If you watch a lot of dudes before they write, they'll just sit there rocking to the beat just incoherently mumbling things but with different cadences and accentuations, it's because the flow has to come before the lyrics. If you're thinking in terms of a specific cadence then you'd be surprised how fluidly the lyrics will just fit into that as opposed to writing lyrics and trying to cram them into a flow.

linguistic gymnastics? you know alot razz I wanna learn is there any youtube links that can help me?
September 25, 2011 @ 06:24 AM
Gold Mind

in my head i just match up the syllables with the beat
September 25, 2011 @ 10:34 AM
damnwitless2

suspended

MF Doom always sounds offbeat but ♥♥♥♥♥s like him

confusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfused

lawl

i always thought it was like natural rhythm staying on beat honestly

Lol at people saying DOOM rhymes off beat, like, if you really think that anything is happening on a DOOM song besides exactly what he's going for, you're retarded

All I do is smoke weed, blow lines, and listen to MF DOOM. And rap. http://www.facebook.com/SpacemanNYC

Please login first to reply.