Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
May 6, 2011 @ 06:37 PM
DStyles

vs

Most nikkas on this website probably have only heard Illmatic and nothing else from Nas. Specially all of those no future fans but to the real nikkas like elijah, It Was Written in my opinion is better than Illmatic. I can bump Illmatic but I can't get in that zone like with It Was Written. To me, Nas showed his skill on Illmatic and on It Was Written, he showed his overall skill as a writter and being able to construct an album. Illmatic to me sounds like a mixtape.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rqLADn2X7s

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqqrr-ZiNO4

Last.fm - DStyles23 Xbox Live GT: DStyles23

May 6, 2011 @ 06:39 PM
PiagetNoodle

illmatic = more raw, more remarkable production

it was written = escobar in his lyrical prime

i tend to flip-flop on which i like moar
May 6, 2011 @ 07:09 PM
TwiggyDig

^this

I flip flop. I still think Illmatic was better overall but both are classics.

Shootouts is my SHITTTTt
May 6, 2011 @ 07:14 PM
DeWale2

Damn, I thought I was the only one, I love Illmatic but IWW has always been my favourite.

I Gave You Power
Shootouts
Take It In Blood
The Message

Cotdamn cool

I credit 'I Gave You Power' with redefining the way I see hip-hop, it showed me it can be art rather than just throwing punchlines in the air.
May 6, 2011 @ 07:31 PM

Inactive

matical
May 6, 2011 @ 07:41 PM
Juki

Only problem with IWW was Nas' whole fake gangster mafioso persona aka Escobar. Some of the songs were straight fantasy type stuff/stories. I agree lyrically he was better on it, but Illmatic was realer. They're both classic though.

Doubleclutchhoops.com

May 6, 2011 @ 07:49 PM
RainInEngland

Only problem with IWW was Nas' whole fake gangster mafioso persona aka Escobar. Some of the songs were straight fantasy type stuff/stories. I agree lyrically he was better on it, but Illmatic was realer. They're both classic though.

I agree, man. Dude was getting better lyrically (The Message is straight fire in that department), but he didn't have the focus or clarity he seemed to have with Illmatic so there are some dumb tracks that bring the album down.

Dude generally seems to have trouble thinking out ALBUMS. He has so many amazing songs but they get overlooked because the album itself isn't that great.
May 6, 2011 @ 07:54 PM
Jay_Bird

illmatic is like a classic movie

stillmatic is like a good sequel to the movie,but will never compare to the original
May 6, 2011 @ 11:49 PM
Mos

this
May 7, 2011 @ 08:14 AM
DStyles

no shit Einstein.

Kool G Rap did it
Rae did it
Biggie did it
AZ did it
Jay-Z did it

mafioso rap>>>>

Last.fm - DStyles23 Xbox Live GT: DStyles23

May 7, 2011 @ 08:43 AM
dalek

I've always said It Was Written is better than Illmatic. The main reason being the length of the albums.

Plus it has what is, probably, my favorite hip hop song of all-time:

But there is something about Illmatic that will just never be recreated by any other rapper...
May 7, 2011 @ 10:46 AM

Inactive

lol 'it was written' was trash

nas was trying too hard

illmatic was so complex, lyrically and thematically, he can never top that.

especially not with that one dimensional 'nas escobar' bullshit.
May 7, 2011 @ 04:20 PM
NoStress

I say illmatic still

burr

May 7, 2011 @ 05:11 PM
PiagetNoodle

lol 'it was written' was trash

nas was trying too hard

illmatic was so complex, lyrically and thematically, he can never top that.

especially not with that one dimensional 'nas escobar' bullshit.

wrong. "I Gave You Power", "The Message", and "Take It In Blood" are light-years ahead of anything on Illmatic conceptually

oh yeah, Silent Murder is the most underrated Nas track ever...
May 7, 2011 @ 06:01 PM
basspro

very close
but for me it was written
May 7, 2011 @ 08:25 PM
bcb

illmatic by far....it was written tried to follow the same classic sound he gave on illmatic but it turned out to be average....

oh and while im discussing this
" ny hip hop all the way...east coast represent..." ...people gotta stop ridin his dick, jay's dick and the east coast's dick lol
May 7, 2011 @ 09:16 PM
PiagetNoodle

.it was written tried to follow the same classic sound he gave on illmatic

lolwut? no
May 7, 2011 @ 09:52 PM
soap

Illmatic but Take it in Blood still my shit
May 7, 2011 @ 09:58 PM
MADVILLAIN

Hip Hop Is Dead >>> illmatic
May 8, 2011 @ 01:11 AM
NeoLobster

Hip Hop Is Dead >>> illmatic

May 8, 2011 @ 09:03 AM
Stilo

I've been saying for years It Was Written is better, I don't even own a physical copy of Illmatic but I do of It Was Written cool
October 30, 2012 @ 06:52 AM
slaytanic666

Illmatic is better he was more raw and more hungry i still fuck with it was written hard but the fake persona he created nas Escobar is just fantasy illmatic is better it's my favorite of album of all time it's so real and raw
October 30, 2012 @ 07:14 AM
unagi1992

Nah dude. IMO Illmatic plus the lost mixtape leading up to Illmatic combined meant more to hiphop than It Was Written. but regardless Nas is and forever will be one of the greatest of all time
October 30, 2012 @ 09:01 AM
cdvbxi

illmatic changed the lyric game, and had ny's most talented producers at the time doing every record. everything about illmattic is immaculately crafted (large prof. helped edit nas rhymes). the only guest verse on it is one of the greatest performances in all of rap music.

it was written is one of the illest commercial joints in rap. it's studio gangsta shit, but nas is a great storyteller and lyricist. it's not as raw or real as illmatic. trackmasters got bangers but theyre not on tip, large, preem, or pete rock's level.

i say illmatic is better just because of how perfect it is and how it impacted the hip hop community, it was written is close tho

like a 27 inch zenith, believe it

October 30, 2012 @ 05:21 PM
Jay_Bird

when illmatic came out,boys was biting nas so hard that they even started bitingnthe album cover

biggie was one of em
November 1, 2012 @ 04:12 AM
goldmelrose

i like the rapping on it was written better i think. but whatever with the cultural influence of illmatic and it being a great record.
November 1, 2012 @ 05:09 AM
thesolecollector23

to me they're both fine works of art that can't be compared they both have qualities that make them classic to me they're equal.i remember back in the day when i got clowned for saying it was written was nas at his prime and that both albums were on the same level.illmatic is one of the most influential albums in hip hop ever.

Mista No Slack N My Mack

November 1, 2012 @ 08:44 AM
BuddyOmar

AZ the gawd >>> Nasir "The Human L" Jones

Doe or Die >>> Illmatic

Pieces of a Man >>> It Was Written

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheBuddyOmar?feature=mhee |||||||||||||| Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/buddy_omar

Please login first to reply.