Lupe Fiasco – Official Discussion Thread

March 02, 2011 @ 09:32:21
1-why would he just make music for free dude has to eat at the end of the day...even if hes making the songs he wants to...dude still wants to get paid

2-??

3- those where songs he did HAVE artistic stake in like "shining down" "goto sleep" and "beaming"

that's why i meant, he should make the "record label songs" that he doesn't like and put those on the album to get paid. then release the songs that he personally likes (but the label didn't put on the album) online. it's a win-win, no? the complex interview made it seem that these "record label songs" are super easy for lupe to do. why doesn't he just sit down, spend a month or two making three albums worth of crappy songs that the label likes, fulfill his contractual obligations, then bounce. then he'll have the rest of his career to get a new deal and make albums how he wants to.
March 02, 2011 @ 09:36:53
LASERS is a totally different sound for lupe compared to F&L and the Cool.

i am a HUGE lupe fan (i consider him top 3 all time) and have bought every one of his albums thus far.

but i encourage you, DO NOT BUY LASERS!! if you're a fan, illegally download it!

this album is what the record label think Lupe should sound like, not what Lupe thinks he should sound like. if LASERS sell a bajillion copies, wouldn't that just reinforce the idea that the record label knows Lupe better than Lupe himself? wouldn't that make the record label say "hey Lupe, you need to change Food and Liquor II to what we say b/c as you can see from the success of LASERS, we know what we're talking about".

as weird as it is, i think LASERS doing horrible sales might be a good thing for Lupe Fiasco - the Artist.
March 02, 2011 @ 15:06:13
He signed with Atlantic back in '06 so you really can't blame him.

thats what im sayin!!
indie labels wasnt poppin like that back in -05-06

btw-CLOUD U BETTER GET YOUR ACT TOGATHER NIKKA OR ILL FEED YOU YOUR MOMS DICK
March 02, 2011 @ 15:14:20
LASERS is a totally different sound for lupe compared to F&L and the Cool.

i am a HUGE lupe fan (i consider him top 3 all time) and have bought every one of his albums thus far.

but i encourage you, DO NOT BUY LASERS!! if you're a fan, illegally download it!

this album is what the record label think Lupe should sound like, not what Lupe thinks he should sound like. if LASERS sell a bajillion copies, wouldn't that just reinforce the idea that the record label knows Lupe better than Lupe himself? wouldn't that make the record label say "hey Lupe, you need to change Food and Liquor II to what we say b/c as you can see from the success of LASERS, we know what we're talking about".

as weird as it is, i think LASERS doing horrible sales might be a good thing for Lupe Fiasco - the Artist.

this.

This post is hidden due to user account is no longer active or improper post content.

March 04, 2011 @ 05:44:16
Can i get a link to the album?
March 04, 2011 @ 07:43:21

Inactive User

The new album is so confusing to me. It's like 12 tracks that's trying to sound like "Superstar". I can hear that album's been mastered and worked with, but it's a mind fuck. 3/10-
March 04, 2011 @ 11:48:04
The new album is so confusing to me. It's like 12 tracks that's trying to sound like "Superstar". I can hear that album's been mastered and worked with, but it's a mind fuck. 3/10-

Yeah like the poster said above, this isn't the Lupe we heard on his previous albums..Food & Liquor opened it up for The Cool (My personal favorite)..Off of Lasers I only like I think 3 or 4 songs..

Most of the tracks, you could take out the vocals and they would become club songs..I loved Lupe for his casual way of things and his flow..for example; Paris, Tokyo or Don't Play With Fire

Regardless, I liked..

Letting Go
Words I Never Said
Beautiful Lasers

But these don't even scrape the surface of my favorite Lupe songs.

3/10
March 04, 2011 @ 12:36:44
Originally posted by Inactive User
6 out of 12 is a 50%. That's failing. You just admitted the album is a failure.

Yeah i know what i said. Album is in fact a failure. Im just saying its not as bad as people make it out to be. Even tho i wouldn't jam to the other 6 songs as much as the other, that does not mean they are terrible and that i wouldn't listen to them completely.
March 04, 2011 @ 12:50:07
I didn't get past "The Show Goes On". I don't even want to hear the rest of the album.
March 04, 2011 @ 16:52:11
Can't lie, when I first heard "Words I Never Said" I was like "What the hellllllll is this....Lasers is gonna blow." And I can appreciate this album for what it is, I always wondered what a full out mainstream Lupe album would sound like. I was somewhat able to play this album straight. "Letting Go," "Beautiful Lasers," "Break The Chain," and "All Black Everything" I was definitely feeling by the end of the first playthrough. But it's pretty much what Lupe said in his interview with Complex, he doesn't hate or love the songs that made it on Lasers, he hates the way the songs happened and that's what makes him hate Lasers as an album so much. I honestly think Lupe can care less how sales turn out for Lasers, but if anything, he would hope for it to turn out a little worse than F&L and The Cool. Last thing dude needs is Atlantic running up to his face and telling him "I told you so." This album is a no cop for me, I appreciate the dude too much to support his ridiculous label.
March 04, 2011 @ 19:38:40
i think they kinda ruined beautiful lasers. that was the turning point on the album for me, where it went from "ok, but not lupe" to "omg he sold out so hard". sounds sooooo good live, i was massively disappointed. i wasn't even anticipating this album that much cos i felt like it would never come out. but lyrics aint enough.
March 04, 2011 @ 20:59:50
that's why i meant, he should make the "record label songs" that he doesn't like and put those on the album to get paid. then release the songs that he personally likes (but the label didn't put on the album) online. it's a win-win, no? the complex interview made it seem that these "record label songs" are super easy for lupe to do. why doesn't he just sit down, spend a month or two making three albums worth of crappy songs that the label likes, fulfill his contractual obligations, then bounce. then he'll have the rest of his career to get a new deal and make albums how he wants to.

all music that was made for the label is owned by the label

he cant release it for free

being signed is great but you're trapped by contracts as well
March 05, 2011 @ 00:39:36
fuck beautiful lasers would be a top 10 lupe track if there was no autotune. atlantic ruined a classic hop hop song.

but he did what he had to do to put the album out.

if you even got one song out of the album that you liked then how can you be mad?
March 05, 2011 @ 06:22:07
i dunno about anyone else, but i aint mad. just disappointed. what's to stop this happening again? what if this is like a preview of his next 3 albums?

i like lupe, but not that much.
March 05, 2011 @ 08:17:19
smh at the people giving it a 3/10 what the fuck
March 05, 2011 @ 09:23:08
I'd say this album is a banger. Out of 12 only 2 tracks that I won't play (I don't wanna care right now and outta my head)
Letting go
Till I get there
Words I never said
State run radio (minus hook)
Beautiful lasers
All black everything
Show goes on
Coming up
Break the chain
Never forget you
I'd give this album a 85%

youtu.be/8L5K5z4HAdA

March 05, 2011 @ 15:53:38
Wtf does knowing about lupe have to do with an album being good just because its not like the cool and F&L doesn't mean its necessarily bad just different
March 05, 2011 @ 17:27:46
shit.. lupe is one of my favorite rappers but this album is shit. fuck atlanta trying to keep him down.
March 05, 2011 @ 17:32:51
I agree, this album is garbage. It sounds like a watered down/poppish version of lupe
March 05, 2011 @ 21:01:12
i think i'ma have another listen. i was feelin kinda unreceptive last time. pause.
March 05, 2011 @ 21:53:08
should've put im beamin on that hoe
March 08, 2011 @ 00:03:21
March 08, 2011 @ 00:17:32
Any guesses on album sales? I hope it at least goes gold.
March 08, 2011 @ 00:26:19
Why isnt lupe on good
March 08, 2011 @ 03:25:03
I hope this CD is good. Everyone is saying this CD is wack. Kinda of nerovus
March 08, 2011 @ 07:44:44
I hope this CD is good. Everyone is saying this CD is wack. Kinda of nerovus

It's ok........ not great or amazing, but ok. It has like 3 or 4 songs that I can kind of listen to. Other than that, something just doesn't seem right about the album and a lot of the songs. If you like old Lupe (Cool / F&L) or mixtape Lupe and was expecting to hear that, I don't think you'll like the album.
And the biggest question: What the hell happened to the Horn Synth song that he did with Pharrell?
March 08, 2011 @ 11:02:07
had a few more listens, and i definitely appreciate it more now. only like 2 or 3 tracks that make me cringe.
March 08, 2011 @ 14:28:27
didntbuylol

Last.fm - DStyles23 Xbox Live GT: DStyles23

March 08, 2011 @ 14:47:05
the album is not that bad, you ♥♥♥♥♥s make it seem like its "before i self destruct" type bad. but in reality its just not what you were expecting, and not average lupe. meh

i also recommend adding in Im beaming, shining down, and go to sleep. itll make the album better just rearrange some track and voila'

maybe i'll add in his all city chess club remix to im beaming at the end as a make pretend bonus track.
Please login first to reply.
x