Enjoy an Additional 10% Off on All Sale Items - Use code: EXTRA10
December 3, 2010 @ 02:34 PM
dead7

QUESTION: What is it "exactly" that white people hate about main stream? I began to wonder when i noticed underground shows i would go to were being attended by like 70% white people. i asked some of my white friends and they said "fu## mainstream". They then explained how punk is an entire genre of music where you "suck" if you become sucessful... which is nutz to me. you can be good but cant be "too good".

I dug further and found it extends to clothing(vintage), movies(indie), etc.

So is there any thruth to this or is all just in my head?
December 3, 2010 @ 02:38 PM
CamTitanic

I beleive your talking about "hipsters" not white people.
December 3, 2010 @ 02:40 PM
Beach2theBay

Well mainstream music/clothes/anything tend to be repetitive, watered down, and cheesy. You can't be too original and bold and make it mainstream because you need your music to reach a wide audience. Being too original creates a niche market and only those people will like your music. Look at main stream rap. 90% of rappers rap about the same shit and the only way to tell who's who is by them shooting out their hood. There's a lot more creativity in underground music because you don't have to be so polished and politically correct and so forth. I pretty much only listen to underground rock but I like a lot of mainstream rap because most rap I just listen to to laugh or to ride in my car to.
December 3, 2010 @ 02:45 PM
damnwitless2

suspended

you could ask the same thing about white people and commercial hip-hop. White people = like 80% of the people buying rap music across the board

All I do is smoke weed, blow lines, and listen to MF DOOM. And rap. http://www.facebook.com/SpacemanNYC

December 3, 2010 @ 02:45 PM
DStyles

They listen to Eminem so they don't know shit about hip hop.

Last.fm - DStyles23 Xbox Live GT: DStyles23

December 3, 2010 @ 03:04 PM
thenephilim27

They listen to Eminem so they don't know shit about hip hop.

just stop itttt

i don't understand why being white has to = having bad taste in rap
December 3, 2010 @ 03:06 PM
DStyles

I'm just saying y0!

December 3, 2010 @ 03:10 PM
thenephilim27

yeah all i'm saying is that's a very broad general stereotype to make

i'm white and i don't fuck with em at ALL lately. mmlp and sslp sure but not this relapse recovery garbage
December 3, 2010 @ 03:16 PM
DStyles

LOL at calling that a stereotype... LOLZZZZZZ

White ppl just don't know...

I'm just saying, can't hate.

December 3, 2010 @ 03:30 PM
ᴊᴜᴀɴ

Last time I checked white people listened to guys like Flo Rida & Lil Wayne and they are mainstream as fuck. Even Eminem whos my favorite Rapper is the most mainstream has a legion of white followers. I don't think they only fuck with indie artists, just some of them do. Can't put all of them in that box.
December 3, 2010 @ 03:36 PM
traCk.

if youre white, youre corny
December 3, 2010 @ 03:40 PM
Eaton

It's because white people are so generic, they gotta avoid the norm for a little individuality. Which is ironic though since white people are so damn susceptible to trends, "indie" and "fuck mainstream" (like you pointed out), seem to be the majority.

Truth.

its only ironic if you think white people make decisions as a whole. every person makes their own decisions about whether they like mainstream or underground. half the people in this thread say most white people like mainstream and the other half say differently. all that has been proven in this thread as that different white people like different things. shocking, isnt it?

http://mattbiggavel.tumblr.com/ http://twitter.com/#!/mattchv SUPREME FS LARGE ITEMS http://hypebeast.com/forums/apparel/168404/

December 3, 2010 @ 04:37 PM
damnwitless2

suspended

and FYI, the majority of super-elitist backpackers I know are black/hispanic

All I do is smoke weed, blow lines, and listen to MF DOOM. And rap. http://www.facebook.com/SpacemanNYC

December 3, 2010 @ 04:52 PM
tomee

depends on the person. not someones race. thats really dumb
December 3, 2010 @ 04:56 PM
dead7

i shoulda been more specific and specified "hipsters" or "hip-hop heads". All white people was a bit of an overstatement to say the least.

I wouldnt go as far as to say being white means you have bad taste in Hip-Hop. Its just different from black taste.... as it should be no? Most white people i know cant figure out for the life of them how Wocka Flocka sells records lolz. Alli can say its a black thing.

There is definately no absolutes, and no need to hate on any race. coolcool
December 3, 2010 @ 04:58 PM
DStyles

What's a "hip hop head"

sigh... last time I used that term, I was a freshman in HS.

December 3, 2010 @ 06:13 PM
C.Dante

White girls love them some mainstream most white kids in my school bump it too
December 3, 2010 @ 06:15 PM
C.Dante

if youre white, youre corny

You better not be asian
December 3, 2010 @ 06:24 PM
OmegaSvpreme

Authenticity is often a serious debate within hip hop culture. Dating back to its origins in the 1970s in the Bronx, hip hop revolved around a culture of protest and freedom of expression in the wake of oppression. As hip hop has become less of an underground culture, it is subject to debate whether or not the spirit of hip hop is embodied in protest, or whether it can evolve to exist in a marketable integrated version.[94] In "Authenticity Within Hip Hop and Other Cultures Threatened with Assimilation," Commentator Kembrew McLeod argues that hip hop culture is actually threatened with assimilation by a larger, mainstream culture.[95] In support of this position, editors of magazines such as the Village Voice have said that hip hop is slowly losing its edge due to the genre's involvement in the mainstream, hyper-capitalist world.[not in citation given] Believing that hip hop should be utilized as a voice for social justice, Tate points out that in the marketable version of hip hop, there isn't a role for this evolved genre in context of the original theme hip hop originated from (freedom from oppression). The problem with Black progressive political organizing isn't that hip hop, but that the No. 1 issue on the table needs to be poverty, and nobody knows how to make poverty sexy.[96]

Tate discusses how the dynamic of progressive Black politics cannot apply to the genre of hip hop in the current state today due to the genre's heavy involvement in the market. In his article he discusses hip hop's 30th birthday and how its evolution has become more of a devolution due to its capitalistic endeavors.

Both Tate and McLeod argue that hip hop has lost its authenticity due to its losing sight of the revolutionary theme and humble "folksy" beginnings the music originated from. "This is the first time artists from around the world will be performing in an international context. The ones that are coming are considered to be the key members of the contemporary underground hip hop movement." This is how the music landscape has broadened around the world over the last ten years. The maturation of hip hop has gotten older with the genres age, but the initial reasoning of why hip hop has started will always be intact.
December 3, 2010 @ 06:25 PM
northwest

all the white people i know wanna suck eminem's dick. and word.. i think you are referring to hipsters. but out of the people i know that only like underground hiphop...most are white.
December 3, 2010 @ 06:25 PM
OmegaSvpreme

but in all honesty the whites at my school are the total opposite. They only listen to Wiz Khalifa, Drake, Gucci Mane, Little Wayne and Mac Miller. Smfh
December 3, 2010 @ 10:29 PM
Koven

"You aint got no weezy nicca?"

all I do is sip espressos and listen to AZ -mrelllis.tumblr.com

December 3, 2010 @ 10:38 PM
ᴊᴜᴀɴ

Most of the people i know who listen to underground hip hop are black. I don't really think you can say a race as a whole has different musical tastes because theres an exception to every rule. Like you can say all white people love country and hate rap but i know someone who is the exact opposite that is white.
December 3, 2010 @ 11:08 PM
Ryon

yall some racist ass ♥♥♥♥♥s
December 3, 2010 @ 11:11 PM
Djarum

i shoulda been more specific and specified "hipsters" or "hip-hop heads". All white people was a bit of an overstatement to say the least.

I wouldnt go as far as to say being white means you have bad taste in Hip-Hop. Its just different from black taste.... as it should be no? Most white people i know cant figure out for the life of them how Wocka Flocka sells records lolz. Alli can say its a black thing.

loooool

"all i can say is its a black thing"

it is an EDUCATION thing. i mostly listen to artists that people would consider underground, but i still enjoy wocka flocka/jeezy/gucci and fully understand why they are able to sell records... because i'm somewhat educated about the culture.

white people and black people have different tastes in hip hop?
the fuck? what kind of statement is that?
December 4, 2010 @ 12:34 PM
Dental Plan

all I do is work and listen to Waka Flocka and Goran Bregovic
December 4, 2010 @ 12:43 PM
Canvas08

i know way more white people that listen to waka than black people. black people go wtf is this shit and then go back to listening to drake.
December 4, 2010 @ 12:55 PM
DStyles

If you're white, you most likely listen to this Vanilla Ice knock off:

December 4, 2010 @ 02:01 PM
hoodantics

some mainstream is aight.
December 4, 2010 @ 03:39 PM
Juicy J

I beleive your talking about "hipsters" not white people.

WE TRIPPY MANE

Please login first to reply.