Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
February 2, 2010 @ 05:11 PM
damnwitless2

suspended

ok so basically this is a thread for the production side of hip-hop, questions for Hardware, Software, ideas, tips, sample tracking, instrumentals, digging, thoughts on the current beat game, all that shit. If you be cookin up beats in the lab come up in here and we gonna chop it up.

First order of business: Somebody PLEASSSSE tell me they got the Buggin Out instrumental

All I do is smoke weed, blow lines, and listen to MF DOOM. And rap. http://www.facebook.com/SpacemanNYC

February 2, 2010 @ 08:33 PM
Bubbs619

i recently bought a MIDI trigger finger and ableton live 7 from my friend and im barely starting to get used to it anybody have any need to know things to sound proffesional?
February 2, 2010 @ 08:36 PM
Dethkiss

Sorry Freak, No Buggin' Out Instrumental. Are you getting into production/do you produce?
February 2, 2010 @ 09:28 PM
bobbivie

The boom bap
February 3, 2010 @ 07:21 PM
jeanluc

FL Studio for life?
February 3, 2010 @ 07:25 PM
damnwitless2

suspended

Sorry Freak, No Buggin' Out Instrumental. Are you getting into production/do you produce?

I've been making beats on and off for about 5 years now, I stopped for a few years though, selling weed and high school kind of took up most of my time haha, but I don't do either of those things anymore so I figure I should get back into it. I'm pretty well versed in Reason/ReCycle (or at least the older versions) but I've been seriously considering investing in an MPC so I can flip samples easier, good decision?

All I do is smoke weed, blow lines, and listen to MF DOOM. And rap. http://www.facebook.com/SpacemanNYC

February 3, 2010 @ 07:43 PM
Captain Deez

Buying an MPC will fuck my bank up. Can't wait til i can afford one though, anyone here sample any jazz tracks?
February 3, 2010 @ 07:55 PM
Dethkiss

I think the MPC is a good decision, but then again, I'm not a producer or anything. I'm also debating one right now. You can find them on Craigslist for a pretty good price. Once I'm finished this semester, and working again, I might pick up the 1000.
February 3, 2010 @ 08:02 PM
Molly Wopp

FL Studio for life?

I hope your playing around.

A mpc is the kind of hardware that you have to work for, not work for you.
February 3, 2010 @ 08:09 PM
BruhMan

for all the mpc users, how long did it take you to learn your machine? i havent picked one up yet, planning on getting a 1000 within the next week or 2 though.
February 3, 2010 @ 09:13 PM
Exo

I use FL Studio, but that's only because I have no hardware sad. I don't get why people hate on it so much
February 3, 2010 @ 09:41 PM
Failure Pt.4

I've fucked around with producing before, made some beats that were decent and lost all of em one time when my harddrive crashed and always was discouraged in trying it out again

I got some m-audio keyboard, the cheapest joint from the apple website. An MPD 24, and i usually mess with garageband or logic pro.

I recently tried using Battery 3 with garageband, but it's dumb how it the pads don't map out and sync with the MPD. It's all fucked up, like the 3rd row on the MPD triggers the top row on Battery. SMH

I got some shit I wanna sample....the learning curve in all of that is pretty tough
February 3, 2010 @ 10:08 PM
damnwitless2

suspended

I use FL Studio, but that's only because I have no hardware sad. I don't get why people hate on it so much

hey man do your thing, 9th still uses FL

February 3, 2010 @ 10:10 PM
Failure Pt.4

you can make dope shit with whatever DAW bro. I know dudes who use FL and make bomb shit. 9th uses FL, Dre has used FL before. if that's all you got, fuck it, master that shit.

Question for producers.....when y'all making a beat, how do y'all start? With the drums? Bassline? Sample?

Talk about your process
February 3, 2010 @ 10:18 PM
damnwitless2

suspended

It depends, most times I'll hear something in my mind that will inspire me to actually get started, sometimes it's a melody, sometimes it's a sample, sometimes it's drums, but whatever that is I'll just start with that and then just make the rest of the beat around it.

February 3, 2010 @ 10:37 PM
AlwayS_DreSSeD

hey man do your thing, 9th still uses FL

he's moved on to the mpc but his beats have gotten worse so that tells you how good FL is sometimes

www.NickyDsss.com

February 3, 2010 @ 11:12 PM
damnwitless2

suspended

word, that niigga made some amazing shit on Fruity Loops. All of this is just tools to get a job done, more than anything it's just about comfort and personal preference in terms of logistics but you should be able to make whatever's in your head on anything

February 3, 2010 @ 11:17 PM
Blunted at birth.

I have logic 8 studio. it's very confusing at first, but I've been learning a lot.
February 3, 2010 @ 11:28 PM
heeennry

I like to start with some drums and then mess around with some VSTs. Or if I'm sampling, I'll chop it up first then add the drums.

I had taken the words out of his mouth and filled it with fart.

February 3, 2010 @ 11:29 PM
Failure Pt.4

Yeah, I have Logic too and was kinda confused since garageband is so much simpler.

I really should start getting back into making beats. What kinda software would u guys recommend for drums and sampling and shit? Like I said, right now I have a basic m-audio keyboard, an MPD 24, and the DAW's I have are Garageband and Logic Pro
February 3, 2010 @ 11:36 PM
metalslug

ive been making "music" regularly on Logic Studio now. Starting to fuck around with ableton and the live shit. Ive had a roland fantom for years and most of my music is on there.
February 3, 2010 @ 11:37 PM
D

Yeah, I have Logic too and was kinda confused since garageband is so much simpler.

I really should start getting back into making beats. What kinda software would u guys recommend for drums and sampling and shit? Like I said, right now I have a basic m-audio keyboard, an MPD 24, and the DAW's I have are Garageband and Logic Pro

All preference but I love using Reason and Recycle. Shit's incredibly easy. Or you could use FL but I'm assuming you have Mac.
February 3, 2010 @ 11:52 PM
KEMP

sooo who wants too tell me how to hook up an mpd32 to logic.
February 3, 2010 @ 11:58 PM
D

Your Mac should auto recognize the MPD32 once you hook it up via USB. Then I would just go into Logic, look into preferences for something related to 'MIDI devices' or 'controller's, etc.

Sorry, don't have Mac or Logic. Tried to help.
February 4, 2010 @ 12:00 AM
Failure Pt.4

yeah I have a mac. And yooo I had Reason one time, that shit looked confusing as fuck and I didn't know how the fuck to work it lol
February 4, 2010 @ 12:01 AM
Failure Pt.4

it should be automatic bro. It will recognize it once u plug it in. And then go to MIDI in the preferences and set it up according to the manual. Very simplecool
February 4, 2010 @ 12:16 AM
♥♥♥

Iv been making beats for about 3 years now.
probably the only hobby i have.
February 4, 2010 @ 12:18 AM
BruhMan

Iv been making beats for about 3 years now.
probably the only hobby i have.

what do you use?
February 4, 2010 @ 12:21 AM
♥♥♥

fl studio and reason, sample vinyl//digital
February 4, 2010 @ 12:55 AM
damnwitless2

suspended

All preference but I love using Reason and Recycle. Shit's incredibly easy. Or you could use FL but I'm assuming you have Mac.

yo, I never figured out how to speed up and slow down samples in there, like the Dr. Rex would allow you to change the pitch and shit but not like actually change the tempo (although I was using an old version so it might be easier now),

Please login first to reply.