Free Worldwide Shipping
Spend $150 USD or more. Click for details.
February 28, 2010 @ 08:39 PM
D

Alright and for software which one should I start out with... I wish i could use Fruity Loops but I have mac and im not going to download a Microsoft OS just for that. Right now I have reason and pro logic and im going to buy a book with a dvd to show me how to use the program and help me get around but what one do you guys recommened between Logic Studio and Reason?

Wait. AND you want an MPC? You said you have a keyboard already. My man, you have the greatest tools right there in front of you.
February 28, 2010 @ 08:41 PM
D2theRama

Yeah this is the keyboard I got it for free and Im going to get a MPC at the end of the month.www.manjatech.com/Yamaha-YPT200-Portable-Keyboard-with-Portable/M/B000BD326U.htm

How is this keyboard do you know does it look like it could do the job?
February 28, 2010 @ 08:42 PM
Molly Wopp

just do midi/sync with that and your good to go.
February 28, 2010 @ 08:47 PM
BruhMan

yeah man dont get caught up in the mpc hype. i almost did. watching those boon doc vids on youtube had my head fucked up lol. you can basically do the same shit with software.
February 28, 2010 @ 08:49 PM
D2theRama

yeah man dont get caught up in the mpc hype. i almost did. watching those boon doc vids on youtube had my head fucked up lol. you can basically do the same shit with software.

So a keyboard and software is all I need? And i think im going to use reason since I got a shit load of reason refills and I don't plan on recording.
February 28, 2010 @ 08:50 PM
BruhMan

well im just starting out too but thats all i have and it seems to be all that i need. im using reason 4. i had fruity loops too but reason came easier to me so i ditched FL altogether.
February 28, 2010 @ 08:53 PM
D

So a keyboard and software is all I need? And i think im going to use reason since I got a shit load of reason refills and I don't plan on recording.

Reason + MIDI keyboard is more than enough. Invest in getting a good pair of studio monitors and a getting a decent audio interface.
February 28, 2010 @ 08:55 PM
BruhMan

yeah im on the hunt for some studio monitors. what do you guys suggest??
February 28, 2010 @ 09:00 PM
D2theRama

What about my keyboard is it any good or should I invest in a new one?
www.manjatech.com/Yamaha-YPT200-Portable-Keyboard-with-Portable/M/B000BD326U.htm
February 28, 2010 @ 09:38 PM
D2theRama

Also im still uncertain about the software to use. Im thinking reason but it doesn't support vst's. I just want to learn 1 program and master it then maybe go to something elese if anyone can give me there 2 cents on which program they reccommend it be appreciated. I heard Ableton is good too.
February 28, 2010 @ 09:48 PM
AMIGA 500

I recommend Ableton. Start by downloading the demo off their website .. It allows you to do everything except save and export. Do a couple of the tutorials (they come with the demo) .. It's relatively simple to get your head around. Logic is nice too.
February 28, 2010 @ 10:37 PM
AMIGA 500

As for the MPC 1000 I think it's a wise choice and am looking to pick one up myself soonish. As BruhMan stated earlier in the thread, you can achieve the same things with software .. Though I don't think that makes the MPC redundant, it's a whole different feel / way of working. I guess it just depends how you prefer to make your beats. Ez.
February 28, 2010 @ 10:43 PM
AMIGA 500

I recommend Ableton. Start by downloading the demo off their website .. It allows you to do everything except save and export. Do a couple of the tutorials (they come with the demo) .. It's relatively simple to get your head around. Logic is nice too.

As for the MPC 1000 I think it's a wise choice and am looking to pick one up myself soonish. As BruhMan stated earlier in the thread, you can achieve the same things with software .. Though I don't think that makes the MPC redundant, it's a whole different feel / way of working. I guess it just depends how you prefer to make your beats.

Ez.
March 1, 2010 @ 12:04 AM
Sk00tZ

Ableton is definitely a good choice. I'm not familiar with it at all, but from what I've heard it's a great DAW. Cubase is another good option, and if you get cubase 5 there's all kinds of crazy features for you to play with. Only thing is, if you want good synths or samplers you're probably gonna wanna use the vst ones. I don't know if it's that way with ableton too.
March 4, 2010 @ 06:07 PM
Sk00tZ

Just to keep the thread alive, I give you this.

www.rebirthmuseum.com/

Rebirth was an early DAW from Propellerhead (creators of reason) that simulated the TR-808 and 909 drum machines and the TB 303 synth. It was discontinued a long time ago, and propellerhead decided to give away for free. On the site is the CD image (something I'm sure you're all familiar with handling). You can rewire Rebirth into your DAW of choice and trigger it through MIDI. Some of you may have known this, but for the benefit of those who didn't, here ya go.
March 4, 2010 @ 06:10 PM
Captain Deez

your keyboard is decent I guess, nothing special. Look at the casio wk-500. It's what I have
March 4, 2010 @ 06:26 PM
nobs

gonna post some later
March 4, 2010 @ 08:25 PM
shakintheD

i have a $100 keyboard. it doesnt really matter tho as long as you got keys and midi to hook up with a music program any sound is possible
March 5, 2010 @ 11:43 AM
D

yeah im on the hunt for some studio monitors. what do you guys suggest??

KRK Rokit series
Mackie MR series
Yamaha HSM's
Samson Rubicon series
March 7, 2010 @ 01:04 AM
D2theRama

Alright so the keyboard my sisters bf gave me is good? Whats the point of more expensive keyboards if you can get any sound? Anyways I have 1000 to spend on equipment. I might get a new keyboard unless you guys think thats absolutly fine I have no problem upgrading to a new one since this money was specifically put away for producing. I also need audio monitors and a audio interface(going to be connected to macbook pro) and I should be good to go. So can someone recommend me a whole sretup be greatly appreciated.
March 7, 2010 @ 11:08 AM
D2theRama

Keyboard:
www.zzounds.com/item--MDOAXIOM61

Monitors:
www.zzounds.com/item--KRKRP8G2

AI:
www.zzounds.com/item--MDOFTRACKPRO

Now do I need to buy any cables to hook this up and the audio interface can power my monitors and keyboard right? Also is there any way I can use the monitors as laptop speakers and not just sounds from my keyboard will I need a wire for that?
March 7, 2010 @ 08:31 PM
D

Keyboard:
www.zzounds.com/item--MDOAXIOM61

Monitors:
www.zzounds.com/item--KRKRP8G2

AI:
www.zzounds.com/item--MDOFTRACKPRO

Now do I need to buy any cables to hook this up and the audio interface can power my monitors and keyboard right? Also is there any way I can use the monitors as laptop speakers and not just sounds from my keyboard will I need a wire for that?

Ok first, about the keyboard: Do you play keys, can you actually play piano, what's your skill/knowledge on the keys? I wouldn't recommend a 61-key anything if you don't play keys, because you're just gonna make it harder on yourself and you will get lost easily. I would recommend however, getting the 49-key model. (www.pssl.com/M-Audio-AXIOM-49-USBMidi-Control-49-Key-W-Pads)

Great choice of monitors. KRK are great entry-level monitors for beginning producers as well as experienced producers. You'll love them. Only gripe about them, and I'm sure most KRK owners will agree, is that they tend to make the low end shine more, giving you a real muddy bass sound. Other than that, great monitors.

The audio interface, I would recommend not getting a USB interface, unless of course you're getting the Mbox. But I for one would get a PCI interface. The problem I have with USB interfaces is that the latency isn't that great. You want a clear, raw sound when you're mixing down a track. You don't wanna shiest yourself with an AI, they're the most important part of your setup next to the monitors. I recommend this AI (www.pssl.com/M-Audio-AUDIOPHILE-192-192Khz-PCI-Audio-Interface)
March 7, 2010 @ 09:22 PM
D2theRama

Nah I don't play the piano so Ill go with the 49 key. And im using a Macbook Pro so i cand use a PCI audio interface so can you recommend me agood firewire one then? Oh and D what you recommend for software Ableton or Logic?
March 7, 2010 @ 10:33 PM
D

Nah I don't play the piano so Ill go with the 49 key. And im using a Macbook Pro so i cand use a PCI audio interface so can you recommend me agood firewire one then? Oh and D what you recommend for software Ableton or Logic?

Oh word, yeah I guess PCI is outta the question lol. Man to be honest, I don't know of any good firewire AI's. They're good ones out there, I just don't know which ones. But I would suggest the Mbox Mini by M-Audio. Good portable USB interface and it has Pro Tools LE on it.

There's up's and downs to both Ableton or Logic. Ableton is a very dope program, very flexible. The thing about it is it's not like any other DAW, which is great but if you ever plan on switching DAW's or eventually start hitting up studios and using Pro Tools, the transition will be complicated.

Me being a Windows user, I can't really vouch for Logic, but I have a friend who's an engineer and he uses Logic for his mixes and he loves it. It's pretty much a necessity if you have a Mac.
March 8, 2010 @ 12:12 PM
J THRILLLAH

Any good recommendations for an Mbox?

March 9, 2010 @ 10:29 PM
BruhMan

yo im thinkin about picking up a mpd. i cant decide if i should go with the 24 or 32. i know the 32 has note repeat, but i dont even know wtf that means lol. is it really that big of a difference between the 2 besides note repeat?
March 10, 2010 @ 08:35 PM
BruhMan

yo im thinkin about picking up a mpd. i cant decide if i should go with the 24 or 32. i know the 32 has note repeat, but i dont even know wtf that means lol. is it really that big of a difference between the 2 besides note repeat?

March 10, 2010 @ 08:43 PM
D2theRama

Whats difference between a MPC and MPD?
March 10, 2010 @ 09:04 PM
Failure Pt.4

MPD needs to be hooked up to the computer

and I have the 24 Bruh. The 32 does have note repeat, which is what those southern producers use when u hear them snares all fast and shit before the beat drops
March 10, 2010 @ 09:32 PM
BruhMan

word? im gonna just grab the 24 then. they going for the low around here on craigslist.

Please login first to reply.