FALL SALE - 20% OFF - USE CODE: FALL20 (24 HOURS LEFT)
February 4, 2010 @ 09:29 AM
D

yo, I never figured out how to speed up and slow down samples in there, like the Dr. Rex would allow you to change the pitch and shit but not like actually change the tempo (although I was using an old version so it might be easier now),

You can do it two ways. With Recycle (a separate program developed by Propellerhead) you can edit .wav samples and change their pitch, tempo, EQ, normalize, etc etc. That's usually what I do before I load my samples up in Dr Rex. Or you could use the NNXT and do it the more complicated way.

I'll find you some good tutorials and edit later. But in the meantime, torrent Recycle lol.
February 4, 2010 @ 05:41 PM
metalslug

up our game like this dude
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kqA5n_VDzc
February 4, 2010 @ 07:23 PM
BruhMan

^^^shit was dope...dude got that dipset appeal
February 4, 2010 @ 07:26 PM
Failure Pt.4

You can do it two ways. With Recycle (a separate program developed by Propellerhead) you can edit .wav samples and change their pitch, tempo, EQ, normalize, etc etc. That's usually what I do before I load my samples up in Dr Rex. Or you could use the NNXT and do it the more complicated way.

I'll find you some good tutorials and edit later. But in the meantime, torrent Recycle lol.

I think imma download Reason and Recycle again and try it out. reason's layout looked confusing as fuck, do you have any tutorials?
February 4, 2010 @ 07:34 PM
BruhMan

more info on this dr rex shit you guys speak of?? i downloaded recycle. what else do i need??
February 5, 2010 @ 12:17 AM
damnwitless2

suspended

recycle is just the program for samples, I know how to do some shit on it but I never figured out how to slow shit down or speed it up, but anyway you chop your shit up in recycle and then import them into the Dr. Rex, which is a sampler in Reason, and then you can trigger, sequence, add effects, all that shit

All I do is smoke weed, blow lines, and listen to MF DOOM. And rap. http://www.facebook.com/SpacemanNYC

February 5, 2010 @ 12:29 AM
Hype X Life

you can make dope shit with whatever DAW bro. I know dudes who use FL and make bomb shit. 9th uses FL, Dre has used FL before. if that's all you got, fuck it, master that shit.

Question for producers.....when y'all making a beat, how do y'all start? With the drums? Bassline? Sample?

Talk about your process

def with the sample that sets the mood for how i want to go with the drums and the way i want to chop the sample up
February 5, 2010 @ 12:38 AM
DeezNuts

i heard fl is good for sampling
the only reason why i dont like it is becuase people down from where im from make some stupid ass cheezy shit, chimes, bells, and fake piano sounds and shit.. and all the song says is "ho dumb, and smoke blunts everyday" shit is fucking annoying and they brag about it down here saying there shit is the best... and fl isnt really hands on. but some people pull it off and make some good shit. but there actually chopping up samples and tweeking the fuck out of sounds.
February 5, 2010 @ 12:43 AM
BruhMan

recycle is just the program for samples, I know how to do some shit on it but I never figured out how to slow shit down or speed it up, but anyway you chop your shit up in recycle and then import them into the Dr. Rex, which is a sampler in Reason, and then you can trigger, sequence, add effects, all that shit

so i need to download reason all together or can i get dr rex seperately??
February 5, 2010 @ 12:59 AM
KEMP

dr rex is apart of reason, so your gonna need to dl reason as a whole with recycle (which is a separate program)
I've been using reason and its dope...but i just wanna try out logic, thanks for the help guys, im gonna that shit out.
February 5, 2010 @ 01:20 AM
BruhMan

reason 4 the latest joint right??
February 5, 2010 @ 01:52 AM
♥♥♥

Something i made a few weeks ago.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj_kFsrf_jU
February 5, 2010 @ 02:31 AM
Molly Wopp

This guy's always coming out with hard shit.
February 5, 2010 @ 02:37 AM
damnwitless2

suspended

Something i made a few weeks ago.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj_kFsrf_jU

dope

All I do is smoke weed, blow lines, and listen to MF DOOM. And rap. http://www.facebook.com/SpacemanNYC

February 5, 2010 @ 02:39 AM
Failure Pt.4

Bruhman u bout to torrent reason? Gimme a link im looking for one too
February 5, 2010 @ 04:57 PM
Dethkiss

Good looks to everyone who has been answering questions and giving out information.

Does anyone know what computer program you can use to isolate portions of a sample? Can you do that with an MPC? I saw Ski-Beatz doing it in a Youtube video, where he took just the baseline off of something but I have no idea what he used to do it.
February 5, 2010 @ 06:02 PM
Molly Wopp

good question been trying to see if its even possible.
February 5, 2010 @ 06:23 PM
♥♥♥

^^ Fl studio is great for that.
most people slice differently than i when using Fl but i go straight grid.

you basically drag the sample onto the grid, where you have a slicer and you can chop each and every small part the way you want them and arrange them and if you want, you can track each small slice to fuck with levels or EQs.

in the case of a sample that you only want the bassline you EQ it and drop all of the highs, its pretty easy depending on the sample. if the sample has drums its a bit harder.

I also do my drums/drum breaks on the grid and NEVER quantize.
February 5, 2010 @ 06:29 PM
Dethkiss

Whoa... Okay, I know nothing about FL, but I will go use it until what you just said makes sense. Thank you very much.
February 5, 2010 @ 06:30 PM
tanqueray

Been producing beats on and off since early '06. Been using FL Studio. My productions are always sampled, including the drums. Just bought a 2000 XL. Still getting used it to but I love that machine to death. Here's a link to my two most recent beats.

www.needledrop.bandcamp.com

@ ♥♥♥ - Dope beat back there...I know the sample you used, haha. You got that on vinyl though? That shit is mad rare.

edit: Any record collectors on here?
February 5, 2010 @ 07:10 PM
Dethkiss

That song Chapter I is amazing.
February 5, 2010 @ 08:50 PM
D

Good looks to everyone who has been answering questions and giving out information.

Does anyone know what computer program you can use to isolate portions of a sample? Can you do that with an MPC? I saw Ski-Beatz doing it in a Youtube video, where he took just the baseline off of something but I have no idea what he used to do it.

There's a bunch out there. Adobe has one, I think it's called Audition? Correct me if I'm wrong. I use Soundforge by Sony.
February 6, 2010 @ 03:06 PM
omek

You can do that with an equalizer, cut the high frequencies
February 6, 2010 @ 05:45 PM
tanqueray

That song Chapter I is amazing.

Thank you kind sir.
February 7, 2010 @ 03:34 AM
zoidanum

been making beats for roughly 2,5 years now I tried few different programs and stuck with FL Studio in the end ... I've also worked with the MPC 1000 of a friend its really nice to chop and play sequences but I since I have my routine in FL I think its alot more comfortable to work with software
February 7, 2010 @ 08:12 AM
omek

An older song, I produced. Feedback appreciated

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax8GhV_79E4
February 7, 2010 @ 08:45 PM
♥♥♥

Been producing beats on and off since early '06. Been using FL Studio. My productions are always sampled, including the drums. Just bought a 2000 XL. Still getting used it to but I love that machine to death. Here's a link to my two most recent beats.

www.needledrop.bandcamp.com

@ ♥♥♥ - Dope beat back there...I know the sample you used, haha. You got that on vinyl though? That shit is mad rare.

edit: Any record collectors on here?

Aw man, I wish o owned that Placebo Sessions on vinyl. My homie from Stones Throw ripped it for me and sent me almost all of the tracks mp3.

i collect records, infact just bought me 3 nice ones yesterday.

that hubert laws record is dope all the way through and soulful strings..
well this says it all

www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7vJPfUviuo
February 8, 2010 @ 11:00 AM
tanqueray

^ Dope. So what do you use to produce music? I heard a couple of your beats and I'm just curious.
February 8, 2010 @ 04:49 PM
♥♥♥

^ Dope. So what do you use to produce music? I heard a couple of your beats and I'm just curious.

Fl and Reason
February 8, 2010 @ 07:19 PM
Failure Pt.4

my download of Reason is almost done, gonna see whats good with this

Please login first to reply.