FLASH SALE - 25% OFF - USE CODE: FLASH25 (25 HOURS ONLY)
February 3, 2010 @ 07:10 PM
EdotMill

my man, to make sure im not fooling myself, ive put on both of their first albums. . the brothers just don't sound the same at all. Yes it would be easy to pinpoint specific rhymes that sound alike(because they are most of them) but I did not do that. I'm familiar with both of their catalogs and I am familiar with their styles. Once again, Big was simple and straight forward, his lines were kept short, the rhyme scheme was simple most of the time, usually consisting of end rhyme and one syllable rhymes, and his flow was hella aggressive. Biggie just gave raw accounts of what was happening in his lifestyle and in his environment which is why he was so vulgar. Jay's rhymes were multi-syllable rhymes, internal rhymes, more metaphors, and his flow is much more laid-back, and Jay tended to be more introspective on his environment.

Biting is trying to pass another rapper's rhymes as your own. Jay does say a lot of Biggie lines, but it is out of respect. It is pretty obvious he is not trying to bite. If you are trying to bite, you don't bite one of the most famous rappers of our time, whose lines everyone is familiar with, especially when his catalog is two albums, and the lines can be easily identified. Hes not trying to fool anyone. people need to dead that sht. that whole argument is weak. There are many other criticisms of Jay that one that could make that hold more weight than that. that one just sounds like a last resort. In a music genre as critical as hip-hop, aint no way in hell Jay would be allowed to be successful if hip-hop fans and his peers in the industry really thought he was trying to pass of a dead legend's lyrics off as his own.

but it looks like we aren't going to agree on this either man. its whatever, to each his own.
February 3, 2010 @ 07:16 PM
Imco0l

Jay-Z is good no doubt, (yeah, i know this is a Jay-Z thread) but i belive Rakim would b G.O.A.T imo. His lyrical ability is above all others. His flow and delivery is just crazy.
February 3, 2010 @ 07:18 PM
NZOO

As it stands Jay is the king, all them old washed up nikkaz couldn't keep up.

Don't badmind me.

February 3, 2010 @ 07:21 PM
damnwitless2

suspended

my man, to make sure im not fooling myself, ive put on both of their first albums. . the brothers just don't sound the same at all. Yes it would be easy to pinpoint specific rhymes that sound alike(because they are most of them) but I did not do that. I'm familiar with both of their catalogs and I am familiar with their styles. Once again, Big was simple and straight forward, his lines were kept short, the rhyme scheme was simple most of the time, usually consisting of end rhyme and one syllable rhymes, and his flow was hella aggressive. Biggie just gave raw accounts of what was happening in his lifestyle and in his environment which is why he was so vulgar. Jay's rhymes were multi-syllable rhymes, internal rhymes, more metaphors, and his flow is much more laid-back, and Jay tended to be more introspective on his environment.

Biting is trying to pass another rapper's rhymes as your own. Jay does say a lot of Biggie lines, but it is out of respect. It is pretty obvious he is not trying to bite. If you are trying to bite, you don't bite one of the most famous rappers of our time, whose lines everyone is familiar with, especially when his catalog is two albums, and the lines can be easily identified. Hes not trying to fool anyone. people need to dead that sht. that whole argument is weak. There are many other criticisms of Jay that one could make that hold more weight than that. that one just sounds like a last resort

but it looks like we aren't going to agree on this either man. its whatever, to each his own.

yeah, I honestly wasn't intending to keep this going for so long but I figured we were keeping it civil, you made some valid points, I made some valid points so it's cool. That being said you're right, I don't think either one of us is going to change the other's mind so might as well dead it at this point. I would like to say for the record though that I AM a fan of Jay-Z's music and I do feel he is one of the best rappers currently recording, I just don't consider him GOAT

All I do is smoke weed, blow lines, and listen to MF DOOM. And rap. http://www.facebook.com/SpacemanNYC

February 3, 2010 @ 07:42 PM
EdotMill

its all good fam. I know we both could keep arguing and making valid points, and its fun to do so when the other guy is actually making intelligent points, but it just aint healthy to argue with a computer screen for hours out of the day, so we both agree to dead this sht. for the record, I'm not some Jay stan, who thinks he is flawless and that everything he does is classic, nor do I think he is lyrically the undisputed best rapper, but I do think altogether he has done it bigger and better than anyone else.
February 3, 2010 @ 09:21 PM
DStyles

I agree completely. Even though nigs will be like Relapse was trash or Em puts out dumb singles he is consistent with his album selling. His delivery is nuts and he would be in anybody's top 10 DOA. If Jay isn't GOAT then it definitely has to be EM. I don't see how he couldn't be mentioned as a possible GOAT. Need I remind you he shitted on Jay-Z on his own song renegade?

Eminem didn't murder Jay. Renegade was a song by both Em and Royce. Jay heard it and liked it so he asked to remove Royce's verse and keep Em's. Em's verse was already recorded. Blane Jay for not wanting to keep up with Em.

Last.fm - DStyles23 Xbox Live GT: DStyles23

February 4, 2010 @ 02:21 AM
A.B.Y.S.S.

^this i keep telling nig-nogs that take them to the proof and they still say the unintelligent s***. plus if you think jay's biting big's lyrics your just a dumbass i don't care what your rational/logic is your a nas stan/hater.
February 4, 2010 @ 05:20 PM
no0 v.2.0

agreed. Jay-Z is great and he's at the top of my list. but i'm surprised that nobody has mentioned my #2 favorite rapper.

EMINEM

yeah he's super successful AND considered one of the tops, lyrically. yup, he wins grammy's, tops the charts (even with his so-so songs) and he could rip anyone in a freestyle.

he's my mom's favorite rapper.

and when you discuss GOATs, you should consider the mainstream too. sure hiphopheads know who Nas is, but does average Farmer Joe in Kansas know who Nas is?

prob not.

but he definitely knows who eminem is.

as far as influence.... anyone who is white and raps (legitimately) will prob list Eminem as one of their top 3 influences. i mean, he made the white rapper dream possible. i wonder how many white kids picked up a mic after eminem.

if you were to say discuss the current KINGS of HIP HOP, id say Jay AND Em

beastie boys.
February 4, 2010 @ 07:55 PM
Astro Boy

No hate, I like Kanye better.
February 4, 2010 @ 08:00 PM
BruhMan

No hate, I like Kanye better.

February 4, 2010 @ 08:04 PM
Astro Boy

The College Dropout > Any Jay Z album
February 4, 2010 @ 08:09 PM
BruhMan

man oh man
February 4, 2010 @ 08:10 PM
Astro Boy

man oh man

real talk man.
February 4, 2010 @ 08:13 PM
ClydeFrazier

The College Dropout > Any Jay Z album

this is a lie, though college dropout is one of my favorite albums of all time

Melo Gang All Day

February 4, 2010 @ 08:18 PM
ClydeFrazier

I'm not talkin about the subject matter, I'm talking about his whole style: flow, story, delivery, the way he fucking dressed, all of that shit

you're wrong. never saw jay rockin clarks, coogi, or a fucking kangol

never heard jay talk about gangbangs or focus entire songs on robbing people

while jay certainly slowed his flow down a bit from the JAZ days, he didn't sound anything like biggie, no one has and no one will

Melo Gang All Day

February 4, 2010 @ 09:01 PM
LiquidSwords

the college dropout is better than most Jay-Z albums
February 4, 2010 @ 09:56 PM
thenorthside

i dont know what to say about these remarks...albeit college dropout is one of my fave albums. jay has put out so much heat, every single album has been sick ...minus kingdom come, i wasn't feeling this one too much.

9 to 5 is how to survive, i ain't tryin' to survive. i'm tryin' to live it to the limit and love it a lot

February 5, 2010 @ 02:07 AM
goldANDsacks

... at least he didn't say 808's and Heartbreak > any Jay-Z album?
February 5, 2010 @ 02:11 AM
goldANDsacks

beastie boys.

true, but the beastie boys were always kind of an outlier. they always had that whole rock/alternative swag...

do people still say "swag"?
February 5, 2010 @ 07:18 AM
g2289

Reasonable Doubt>G.O.O.D Music, no hate Im a Kanye fan as well, but that album to me was life changing.
February 5, 2010 @ 07:20 AM
thenorthside

College dropout is also one of my favorite albums but lets be serious

Blueprint > College Dropout

co-sign. blueprint is in my top 3 for jay albums (top 5 all time probably)

9 to 5 is how to survive, i ain't tryin' to survive. i'm tryin' to live it to the limit and love it a lot

February 5, 2010 @ 08:30 AM
Shaun

Must admit Blueprint 3 got way more replay value than I first thought it would.
February 5, 2010 @ 08:31 AM
VADO-U.N.

are you kidding me? Jay-Z's whole style is just an amalgamation of things that already worked. It's like if you just took Biggie and made him more commercial you'd have Jay-Z
February 5, 2010 @ 08:32 AM
VADO-U.N.

THE BLUEPRINT IS jays best album, thats the album that made him who he is today
February 5, 2010 @ 09:41 AM
DStyles

No, Jay didn't copy Big's styles and Big was way more commercial than you guys think he was. Just rolling with P. Diddy made him commercial, beefing with Pac made him commercial, Life After Death; complete pop album.

Moving on though, why do you guys dislike "Kingdom Come". If it wasn't for that album I would still be a Nas stan and bash on Jay-Z every change I got. KC is my favorite Jay-Z album.

February 5, 2010 @ 09:46 AM
DStyles

I snatch your girl cause your arm ain't strong enough
Plus ya don't stay in the studio long enough
I make hits while y'all stay hatin and take bricks

From "The City is Mine"
Sometimes when I listen to a Jay-Z song, there's a line that always catches my attention due to the fact that it sounds like Jay-Z could predict the future. In that line you could take it as Jay addressing his beef with Nas.

-He fucked his girl
-He has more albums than Nas
-Jay released 6 studio albums this past decade(not counting the collab albums he did)
-It took Nas about 2 years for him to finally release another album after Illmatic
-Jay has more hits than Nas

Just saying.

February 5, 2010 @ 01:01 PM
DStyles

Nas just looks like a fool. I feel bad for him at times.

And since you infatuated with sayin tha gay shit
Yes u was kissin my dick when u was kissin that bitch

February 5, 2010 @ 01:01 PM
DStyles

DStyles you'd think that you would pick up the hint that you tend to like the unpopular things by now. Kingdom Come (Arguably Jay-Z's worst album), Call of Duty: World At War, etc lol

Word lol. Maybe I'm not in the hype -_-

Edit: I love KC. Idk what you guys hate about it so much.

KC>>>>>>>>>BP3

Just saying.

February 5, 2010 @ 01:13 PM
alex.

THE BLUEPRINT IS jays best album, kanye made him who he is today

word
February 5, 2010 @ 03:04 PM
jaythestar

word

Im going out on a limb and Im going to say it was actually the Hard knock Life album that put jay in position. He won the grammy in 99 for it and that was what catapulted him into to mainstream as a "popular artist" Prior to that, No one was really paying too much to in my lifetime vol.1 or reasonable doubt.

And to whoever said Big wasnt commercial....that statement is just ridiculous! While BIG was as Lyrical and Hard as the rest of them...He possessed a certain trait that made it acceptable to be "black and ugly as ever...however I stay coogi down to the socks." Of course alot of that was influenced by choices made by Puff.

Please login first to reply.