300+ New Sale Items (Up to 80% Off Selected Brands)
February 2, 2010 @ 01:38 PM
DStyles

Post all Jay-Z material related here!

Obama loves BP3 - http://allhiphop.com/stories/news/archive/2010/02/19/22129788.aspx

Upcoming tours:
The BP3 Tour
Coachella - 4/16/10
Rock am Ring 2010 - 6/3/10
Bonnaroo Festival - 6/10/10
Isle of Wright - 6/11/10
Wireless Festival at Hyde Park - 7/2/10
Jay-Z/Eminem at Yankeee Stadium - 9/13/10

let this be the official all related Jay-Z thread. I will keep this thread update with any news I get.

Haters are more than welcome on this thread.

I don't care if you agree or not but it's a fact. 11 straight number 1 albums without a number 1 single(Till ESOM), surpassing the likes of Elvis, Bruce, Led Zeppelin, the Rolling Stones, etc. He will be turning 40 this year and I doubt that he will call it quits in the upcoming year.If Jay wants he could go for 9 more albums and try to surpass the Beatles. Will that make him better than the Beatles, no morons! They both do different music. He could be close to hitting 1 bill and he has showned that he's a very successful business man. He had many rocking that Yankee fitted. Has open up clubs in big cities across the world. Who else would you mention as the king of hip hop? Rakim? Kane? Nas? Those guys are not even close. Yeah both Rakim and Kane influenced Jay but they're not even in the game anymore. Nas? I will admitt he's nice but again no where near as close as to Jay. Wether he won the battle or not he has not done what Jay has. "But yo DStyles where's 2Pac and Big?" I'll tell you where they are but you might get offended. If Pac was alive then...well I'm pretty sure he would have been the king. 75 mil records across the world but he's not here with us. I'll finish it off with this quote and final thought:

"I should be on everybodies list let's see what happens when I no longer exist" - Jay-Z

When the king of pop(MJ) was alive, people didn't care about him anymore. At one point he was completly forgotten but now that he's resting in peace everyone mourns him and misses him...

http://www.jay-z.com - Official Website

Last.fm - DStyles23 Xbox Live GT: DStyles23

February 2, 2010 @ 02:10 PM
damnwitless2

suspended

selling the most records doesn't make you the GOAT AT ALL. That being said, Jay-Z is most definitely one of the best rappers in the game right now

All I do is smoke weed, blow lines, and listen to MF DOOM. And rap. http://www.facebook.com/SpacemanNYC

February 2, 2010 @ 02:15 PM
DStyles

selling the most records doesn't make you the GOAT AT ALL. That being said, Jay-Z is most definitely one of the best rappers in the game right now

So being underground/indie makes you the G.O.A.T.?

February 2, 2010 @ 02:27 PM
Ferris.Bueller

No...its about who's a better lyricist....or did you forget rap was about RAPPING? yea nigg got money and sells more wax than gold canyon....but that doesn't make him the greatest rapper of all time. So many other dudes out there that would shit on him in a freestyle.
February 2, 2010 @ 02:30 PM
damnwitless2

suspended

So being underground/indie makes you the G.O.A.T.?

no, being the best rapper makes you GOAT

All I do is smoke weed, blow lines, and listen to MF DOOM. And rap. http://www.facebook.com/SpacemanNYC

February 2, 2010 @ 02:30 PM
DStyles

No...its about who's a better lyricist....or did you forget rap was about RAPPING? yea nigg got money and sells more wax than gold canyon....but that doesn't make him the greatest rapper of all time. So many other dudes out there that would shit on him in a freestyle.

There are many out there that could have shitted on Michael Jordan in a 1 on 1. Fuck I put money that either LB or KB could beat MJ in a 1 on 1.

I hear it...go ahead say his name...go ahead we might aswell get him out the way.

February 2, 2010 @ 02:31 PM
DStyles

no, being the best rapper makes you GOAT

You said it brother.

Edit: Best rapper alive.

February 2, 2010 @ 02:54 PM
damnwitless2

suspended

originality = one thing Jay-Z does not have at all and that's a major factor

February 2, 2010 @ 03:48 PM
PKMN Trainer Red

He is not the best rapper alive but he is the King of Hip-Hop.
The best rapper alive to me is Nas.
February 2, 2010 @ 03:49 PM
DStyles

ROFL!!!!

Ask Lil Wayne if he's original, better yet ask him who's his favorite rapper ;D

February 2, 2010 @ 04:13 PM
damnwitless2

suspended

How is he not original?

are you kidding me? Jay-Z's whole style is just an amalgamation of things that already worked. It's like if you just took Biggie and made him more commercial you'd have Jay-Z

February 2, 2010 @ 05:24 PM
EdotMill

As far as I'm concerned there is no such thing as the Best Rapper Alive. For there to be such thing, everybody would have to agree on what makes a rapper the Best, and everybody wants something different out of their hiphop.

However,imo, there is such thing as a G.O.A.T., and Jay is, once again imo, uncontested holder of that title. In terms of skill, longevity, consistency, catalog,success, respect amongst so called "real hip-hop heads", the mainstream, and peers in the industry, and INFLUENCE, noone even comes close.

There will never be an agreement on who is the best lyricist. People want different things out of their lyrics. Some people will argue that Lupe is the best cause of the complexity of his lyrics, while others will say it would make for a better listening experience if he was more straightforward with his lines. Some will say Wayne's got the best punchlines, and others will argue his punchlines aren't saying anything of any substance.

I think greatness can be argued though, and No one is touchin Jay. His influence is unmatched. I mean the whole phrase "Best Rapper Alive" that everyone likes to use so much, was a phrase made popular by Jay.
February 2, 2010 @ 08:20 PM
ylz23

Goat. cool
February 2, 2010 @ 08:45 PM
thenorthside

/thread

this.

9 to 5 is how to survive, i ain't tryin' to survive. i'm tryin' to live it to the limit and love it a lot

February 2, 2010 @ 09:59 PM
February 2, 2010 @ 10:39 PM
damnwitless2

suspended

As far as I'm concerned there is no such thing as the Best Rapper Alive. For there to be such thing, everybody would have to agree on what makes a rapper the Best, and everybody wants something different out of their hiphop.

However,imo, there is such thing as a G.O.A.T., and Jay is, once again imo, uncontested holder of that title. In terms of skill, longevity, consistency, catalog,success, respect amongst so called "real hip-hop heads", the mainstream, and peers in the industry, and INFLUENCE, noone even comes close.

There will never be an agreement on who is the best lyricist. People want different things out of their lyrics. Some people will argue that Lupe is the best cause of the complexity of his lyrics, while others will say it would make for a better listening experience if he was more straightforward with his lines. Some will say Wayne's got the best punchlines, and others will argue his punchlines aren't saying anything of any substance.

I think greatness can be argued though, and No one is touchin Jay. His influence is unmatched. I mean the whole phrase "Best Rapper Alive" that everyone likes to use so much, was a phrase made popular by Jay.

sounds to me like he's the most successful rapper of all time

Greatness =/= Success

February 3, 2010 @ 10:47 AM
EdotMill

edotmill
I understand what your saying. But one can be successful, and not have influence. One can be successful, and not have respect. One can even be successful, and not have skill. Greatness, in my opinion is a balance of all those factors that I mentioned above, and in my opinion, when it comes to that jay, is in his own league.

I will admit that Jay is my favorite rapper, but I would like to think I'm objective when it comes to music. For example, Illmatic > Reasonable Doubt. I think Jay is the indisputable G.O.A.T. by my standards and understanding of what it means to be great. I DON'T however, think he is indisputably the "Best Rapper Alive". I think there are many contenders that people can justifiably and reasonably argue are the Best, but the styles of MCing vary so much, that no one will agree on a standard to judge what is "best", and no one ever will.

So I will agree to disagree with you. theres no winning this argument.
February 3, 2010 @ 12:30 PM
goldANDsacks

agreed. Jay-Z is great and he's at the top of my list. but i'm surprised that nobody has mentioned my #2 favorite rapper.

EMINEM

yeah he's super successful AND considered one of the tops, lyrically. yup, he wins grammy's, tops the charts (even with his so-so songs) and he could rip anyone in a freestyle.

he's my mom's favorite rapper.

and when you discuss GOATs, you should consider the mainstream too. sure hiphopheads know who Nas is, but does average Farmer Joe in Kansas know who Nas is?

prob not.

but he definitely knows who eminem is.

as far as influence.... anyone who is white and raps (legitimately) will prob list Eminem as one of their top 3 influences. i mean, he made the white rapper dream possible. i wonder how many white kids picked up a mic after eminem.

if you were to say discuss the current KINGS of HIP HOP, id say Jay AND Em
February 3, 2010 @ 12:57 PM
DStyles

agreed. Jay-Z is great and he's at the top of my list. but i'm surprised that nobody has mentioned my #2 favorite rapper.

EMINEM

yeah he's super successful AND considered one of the tops, lyrically. yup, he wins grammy's, tops the charts (even with his so-so songs) and he could rip anyone in a freestyle.

and when you discuss GOATs, you should consider the mainstream too. sure hiphopheads know who Nas is, but does average Farmer Joe in Kansas know who Nas is?

prob not.

as far as influence.... anyone who is white and raps (legitimately) will prob list Eminem as one of their top 3 influences. i mean, he made the white rapper dream possible. i wonder how many white kids picked up a mic after eminem.

This a Jay-Z thread though. However I do think Em is up there it's just that sometimes he has those songs where he's just poking fun at other celebrities and artist. As a feature artist, he will make you look like a fool in your own song. That's why Nas hasn't done a song with him. Don't say their styles are different because if Em got on a song with Drake, Kanye, and Wayne then why not with Nas. I still don't understand how Em murdered Jay when clearly the song was made for Royce and Em. Blame Jay for not trying to keep up with Em.

February 3, 2010 @ 01:16 PM
goldANDsacks

This a Jay-Z thread though. However I do think Em is up there it's just that sometimes he has those songs where he's just poking fun at other celebrities and artist. As a feature artist, he will make you look like a fool in your own song. That's why Nas hasn't done a song with him. Don't say their styles are different because if Em got on a song with Drake, Kanye, and Wayne then why not with Nas. I still don't understand how Em murdered Jay when clearly the song was made for Royce and Em. Blame Jay for not trying to keep up with Em.

true, got a little off-topic there. everyone was just bringing up Nas as the number 2 after Jay, and i wanted to make a point for Em. I really wish Jay-z and Eminem would collab again. Renegade pt. II!! Its like a heavyweight boxing match or something. everyone agrees eminem took round 1. Jay-Z needs a shot at redemption.

---

one of my favorite things about Jay-Z is his openness to collab with other non-hip hop artists (chris martin, linkin park, mr. hudson, etc.) it reminds me of the classic rockstars who used to collab with eachother and form temporary super bands, just for the sake of having fun
February 3, 2010 @ 03:20 PM
BubbleTeaJelly

are you kidding me? Jay-Z's whole style is just an amalgamation of things that already worked. It's like if you just took Biggie and made him more commercial you'd have Jay-Z

word jay is smart in that aspect. didnt have to be creative but he is smart enough to use what works to be successful
February 3, 2010 @ 05:22 PM
EdotMill

I disagree. The only thing Biggie and Jay's style have that is similar is that they were both cultured in New York, in the same borough even. They both sound like east coast New York rappers who grew up in the crack epidemic of the 80s, as does Nas. Jay didn't take anyone style, or vice versa. They were friends who were basically coming up around the same time, living parallel lifestyles. Ofcourse the subject matter is gonna be similar. But they're flows and cadences, and style are nothing alike. Biggie was more vulgar than Jay has ever been..not even close , and he was also hella funny. I also don't think it makes any sense to say that Jay took Biggie's style and made it more commerical. Biggie was a huge commercial success, and not just after he died, but while he was very much alive.
February 3, 2010 @ 05:25 PM
Astro Boy

"So I keep one eye open like Cbs" - hottest line from a throwback Jay Z song.
February 3, 2010 @ 05:48 PM
damnwitless2

suspended

I disagree. The only thing Biggie and Jay's style have that is similar is that they were both cultured in New York, in the same borough even. They both sound like east coast New York rappers who grew up in the crack epidemic of the 80s, as does Nas. Jay didn't take anyone style, or vice versa. They were friends who were basically coming up around the same time, living parallel lifestyles. Ofcourse the subject matter is gonna be similar. But they're flows and cadences, and style are nothing alike. Biggie was more vulgar than Jay has ever been..not even close , and he was also hella funny. I also don't think it makes any sense to say that Jay took Biggie's style and made it more commerical. Biggie was a huge commercial success, and not just after he died, but while he was very much alive.

yeah but he wasn't as big as Jay-Z. And he never could have been due to the fact of what you said, he was too vulgar, too street, too gritty, yeah he was famous and everything but that niigga's status was nowhere near where Jay is, or even where Jay was 7 years ago. But come on, Jay-Z is a fucking biter, he's an incredibly shrewd business man and I'll give him credit for that but his whole swag is just Biggie 2.0. Yeah they were "East Coast Rappers who grew up in the crack epidemic" but so is Guru, so is Mos Def, so is MOP, and none of them niiggas sound anything alike and they're even all from Brooklyn.

February 3, 2010 @ 05:56 PM
BruhMan

biggie didnt start the whole "mafioso" thing tho
February 3, 2010 @ 06:02 PM
damnwitless2

suspended

I'm not talkin about the subject matter, I'm talking about his whole style: flow, story, delivery, the way he fucking dressed, all of that shit

February 3, 2010 @ 06:17 PM
ᴊᴜᴀɴ

EMINEM

prob not.

I agree completely. Even though nigs will be like Relapse was trash or Em puts out dumb singles he is consistent with his album selling. His delivery is nuts and he would be in anybody's top 10 DOA. If Jay isn't GOAT then it definitely has to be EM. I don't see how he couldn't be mentioned as a possible GOAT. Need I remind you he shitted on Jay-Z on his own song renegade?
February 3, 2010 @ 06:35 PM
EdotMill

Biggie was as big as Rappers got during that time period. He was certainly commercially bigger than Jay when they were both still alive. I'm not going to try and say how BIG's career MIGHT have turned out if he were to have lived. There is no telling how his style may/or may not have changed. You make a valid point by bringing up Mos and the other guys. But when people talk about New York rap during that time period, there is a GENERAL sound/content that is identifiable with that region..every region has a GENERAL sound that is associated with it..that doesn't mean that everybody from that area sounds like that, but it is a sound that is heavily prevalent in that area. Its what people mean when they say, Jay Electronica or J.Cole don't sound like they are from the south, they sound like New York Rappers. Jay and Big both fit into that general category.

Flow, story, delivery, and how they dressed. I'm not seeing the similarities. Their flows are not the same. Biggie's rhyme scheme was fairly simple most of the time, and he was much more straightfoward. Jay used multi-syllable/internal rhymes and more metaphors. Most rappers tell stories. Biggies flow was much more aggressive than Jay's most of the time. How they dressed is kind of irrelevant. Biggie did not have some outrageously unique style, that is easily identifiable with him. When they were coming up, they both dressed how a lot of niccas from that environment dressed like. And when they both got a little success, they both dressed how a lot of niccas from that environment would dress like if they got a little paper (gaudy and outrageous).
February 3, 2010 @ 06:46 PM
damnwitless2

suspended

if you want to talk about NY rap as a whole in the mid 90s then Jay looks even worse, I purposefully wasn't adding in dudes from Queens, Uptown, Shaolin, etc because I figured you'd probably use the "It's a Brooklyn thing" argument, but I mean, in the full gamut of everybody from NY during that time period it's almost unforgivable how similar he sounds to Biggie. You listen to Nas, Gza, Big L, Fat Joe, all of those dudes were out makin money and records during this time period and none of them sounded anything like each other, much less like Big. Obviously it's easy to pinpoint specific rhymes that Jay-Z has spit that didn't sound like Biggie shit but I mean come on, the sheer amount of Biggie lines that he's just straight up bit should alert you yo what's really going on there

February 3, 2010 @ 06:47 PM
BruhMan

i dont see the similarities between big and jay at all...as for eminem being top 5 or 10 dead or alive, not in my list.

Please login first to reply.