Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
January 19, 2010 @ 04:23 PM
goldANDsacks

what's the difference? is there a difference?

(this is branching off a discussion from another thread).

I've heard one interesting explanation that hip hop is a genre of music whereas rap a form of music (i.e. singing, playing guitar, playing drums, etc.). So what we consider "rap music" is actually hip hop music that features rapping. There can be hip hop songs that have no rapping (some mos def tracks) and there can be non-hip hop songs that have rapping (flobots - handlebars).

I've also heard that "rap" only defines music, and "hip hop" is a much broader term for culture (including dancing, clothing, art, etc). So anything that's rap falls into the category of hip hop (excluding non-hip hop songs with rapping... or is that included as wellconfused.

Finally, I've heard that hip hop is music that is intellectually/politically conscious and rap is music is not. This seems to kind of put the divide between the artists themselves. i.e. Lupe Fiasco, MF Doom, Black Star = Hip Hop. Soulja Boy, 50 Cent, Drake = Rap. but this is so debatable. Where do artists like 2Pac fall, who has songs about teen abortion but also about fucking and partying? Are only some of his songs hip hop and others are rap?

thoughts?
January 19, 2010 @ 04:31 PM
itZj0k3R

So what we consider "rap music" is actually hip hop music that features rapping. There can be hip hop songs that have no rapping (some mos def tracks) and there can be non-hip hop songs that have rapping (flobots - handlebars).

"hip hop" is a much broader term for culture (including dancing, clothing, art, etc).

I agree with that.
January 19, 2010 @ 04:50 PM
chief

hip hop is the culture that revolves around the music

rap is laying rhymes over a beat or no beat

•••

January 19, 2010 @ 05:30 PM
ᴊᴜᴀɴ

hip hop is the culture and rap is the music.

It's that simple
January 19, 2010 @ 05:31 PM
AlwayS_DreSSeD

Hip hop is the culture that consists of 4 main elements, MC(rap) - DJ(rap) - Bboy - Graffiti... Rap is just the music that stems from it

www.NickyDsss.com

January 19, 2010 @ 05:54 PM
FROADS

^truth..there's also a difference between rappers and emcees. KRS, Jay, Big L, Pun, Nas= Emcees...FloRida,Gucci, Wayne n 90 percent of the shit played in hip hop radio stations are rappers.
January 19, 2010 @ 06:14 PM
ᴊᴜᴀɴ

Rapping (also known as emceeing[1], MCing[1], spitting (bars)[2], or just rhyming[3]) refers to "spoken or chanted rhyming lyrics with a strong rhythmic accompaniment"[4]. The art form can be broken down into different components, as in the book How to Rap where it is separated into “content”, “flow” (rhythm and rhyme), and “delivery”[5]. Rapping is distinct from spoken word poetry in that is it performed in time to the beat of the music[6][7].

Rapping is a primary ingredient in hip hop music, but the phenomenon predates hip hop culture by centuries. Rapping can be delivered over a beat or without accompaniment. Stylistically, rap occupies a gray area among speech, prose, poetry, and song. The use of the word to describe quick speech or repartee long predates the musical form,[8] meaning originally "to hit".[9] The word had been used in British English since the 16th century, and specifically meaning "to say" since the 18th. It was part of the African American dialect of English in the 1960s meaning "to converse", and very soon after that in its present usage as a term denoting the musical style.[10] Today, the terms "rap" and "rapping" are so closely associated with hip hop music that many use the terms interchangeably.

Hip hop as a cultural movement incorporates B-boying (breakdancing), graffiti writing, DJing and MCeeing. It originated in the African American communities of New York City (with the South Bronx as the center) in the late 1970s.[1][2][3][3] It was DJ Afrika Bambaataa that outlined the five pillars of hip-hop culture: MCing, DJing, breaking, graffiti writing, and knowledge.[4][5][6][7] Other elements include beatboxing, hip hop fashion, and slang. Since first emerging in the Bronx, the lifestyle of hip hop culture has spread around the world.[8] When hip hop music began to emerge, it was based around disc jockeys who created rhythmic beats by looping breaks (small portions of songs emphasizing a percussive pattern) on two turntables, which is now more commonly referred to as sampling. This was later accompanied by "rapping" (a rhythmic style of chanting or poetry more formally in 16 bar measures or time frames) and beatboxing, a vocal technique mainly used to imitate percussive elements of the music and various technical effects of hip hop DJs. An original form of dancing and particular styles of dress arose among followers of this new music. These elements experienced considerable refinement and development over the course of the history of the culture.

The relationship between graffiti and hip hop culture arises from the appearance of new and increasingly elaborate and pervasive forms of the practice in areas where other elements of hip hop were evolving as art forms, with a heavy overlap between those who wrote graffiti and those who practiced other elements of the culture.
January 19, 2010 @ 06:19 PM
FROADS

@ Infamous. That's taken to literally lame, yes, if u wanna put it as Master of Ceremonies yeah then anyone with a facility to talk and keep guests entertained is an MC such as Jay Leno, fucken Chris Rock; I'm talkin about emceein in hip hop dickhead ...trust...if you don't know the different between emcees n rappers then i strongly suggest stfu in this topic
January 19, 2010 @ 06:21 PM
FROADS

^ No

MC = master of ceremonies = anyone that raps at a live show

u tellin me just cuz 50 cent spits at live show that alone automatically makes him an emcee?
January 19, 2010 @ 06:22 PM
AlwayS_DreSSeD

^loosen your backpack straps b, they too tight...

www.NickyDsss.com

January 19, 2010 @ 06:22 PM
FROADS

wassup Neutron
January 19, 2010 @ 06:27 PM
AlwayS_DreSSeD

you the one actin like neutron when it comes to hip hop b

www.NickyDsss.com

January 19, 2010 @ 06:27 PM
ᴊᴜᴀɴ

You mad?
January 19, 2010 @ 06:43 PM
C.Dante

lmao
January 19, 2010 @ 09:33 PM
Juicy J

hip hop is the culture and rap is the music.

Hip hop is the culture that consists of 4 main elements, MC(rap) - DJ(rap) - Bboy - Graffiti... Rap is just the music that stems from it

/thread

WE TRIPPY MANE

January 19, 2010 @ 10:48 PM
BruhMan

I lol'd
January 19, 2010 @ 10:50 PM
BruhMan

u tellin me just cuz 50 cent spits at live show that alone automatically makes him an emcee?

So what makes a ***** an "emcee"?
January 19, 2010 @ 11:24 PM
FROADS

So what makes a ***** an "emcee"?

The difference between a rapper and an emcee, is that a rapper spitz only for commercial appeal while the MC represents the true essence of what hip hop really is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1bRIlKuaZ4&feature=related[/IMG]
January 19, 2010 @ 11:27 PM
pastyblac

rap is a verb.
January 19, 2010 @ 11:34 PM
pastyblac

I doubt it
January 19, 2010 @ 11:43 PM
BruhMan

The difference between a rapper and an emcee, is that a rapper spitz only for commercial appeal while the MC represents the true essence of what hip hop really is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1bRIlKuaZ4&feature=related[/IMG]

So Nas, Pun, or Jay never made songs for commercial appeal?
January 19, 2010 @ 11:49 PM
soulamazing.

Rap is the music, huh? What about instrumentals, then? What are they identified as? The way I see it, what you guys call "rap music" and instrumentals and whatnot are classified as Hiphop, whereas I classify gangster stuff such as 2pac, Bone Thugz, Eazy-E, etc. into Rap. Everything else like Soulja Boy, Gucci Mane, and the like I classify as crap music or Hip Pop. Just my $0.02.

Some examples of Hiphop.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUwRGPxCG_Y
www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdZK0HeYkwM

Rap.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9KWYwczHEw
www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eoSKbAqXmg

Crap/Hip Pop.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXxJrC054do

You get the idea.
January 20, 2010 @ 12:00 AM
AlwayS_DreSSeD

people need to stop using internet forums to get into hip hop man this is terrible sad

www.NickyDsss.com

January 20, 2010 @ 12:04 AM
FROADS

yo I dunno if its my computer but this page just got fucked up..i can't see bruh's post
January 20, 2010 @ 12:06 AM
soulamazing.

wtf lol thats the worst explanation yet

Elaborate.
January 20, 2010 @ 12:10 AM
BruhMan

yo I dunno if its my computer but this page just got fucked up..i can't see bruh's post

Word. I can't see it either. Basically what I said is you listed jay, nas, and pun as emcees, all them niiggas have did songs for commercial appeal.
January 20, 2010 @ 12:20 AM
FROADS

Well if u saw the Vid Krs says it himself..its like this, a rapper can't be an mc because he doesn't represent the real aspect of hip hop which is dope lyrics, beats, and tru shit; the rapper's main interest is just to cash in..and yes its true emcees such as Nas n Pac have made songs for the mainstream but they have also made some of the deepest songs that no ordinary "Rapper" could pull off..So an mc can appeal to both, while a rapper just cashes in and fades away..As for the guy who made this thread... people ask me if i listen to rap, i tell him i listen to hip hop..
January 20, 2010 @ 12:25 AM
♥♥♥

Ludacris is a "rapper" by definition but he can outrap your favorite "emcees".

idk about that...
January 20, 2010 @ 02:05 AM
damnwitless2

suspended

lol qft

All I do is smoke weed, blow lines, and listen to MF DOOM. And rap. http://www.facebook.com/SpacemanNYC

January 20, 2010 @ 02:11 AM
damnwitless2

suspended

Well if u saw the Vid Krs says it himself..its like this, a rapper can't be an mc because he doesn't represent the real aspect of hip hop which is dope lyrics, beats, and tru shit; the rapper's main interest is just to cash in..and yes its true emcees such as Nas n Pac have made songs for the mainstream but they have also made some of the deepest songs that no ordinary "Rapper" could pull off..So an mc can appeal to both, while a rapper just cashes in and fades away..As for the guy who made this thread... people ask me if i listen to rap, i tell him i listen to hip hop..

this post is so stupid I actually started writing an intelligent, point by point response to it, and then I realized that in order for you to even write this you've pretty much proved yourself to be a lost cause

All I do is smoke weed, blow lines, and listen to MF DOOM. And rap. http://www.facebook.com/SpacemanNYC

Please login first to reply.