January 14, 2010 @ 05:37 PM
AlwayS_DreSSeD

Anyone who can make millions off of what the consumer wants to hear is a marketing genius. My ***** sold a million ringtones, which means he's in tune with the masses and is a smart ass businessman. In terms of being a musical genius like that lupe isnt in that category neither is cudi, or even *gulp* nas. Being lyrical can only get you so far.

FIXED

and mentioning nas? gtfo he's went platinum many times already and had hit singles, he's older and he just makes more conscious music now...

i hate when record sales get brought into arguments

www.NickyDsss.com

January 15, 2010 @ 07:50 AM
drtmcgrt

^ thank you! Soulja Boy is far from a MUSICAL genius...

http://instagram.com/rasheedovich/

January 15, 2010 @ 10:17 AM
DStyles

FIXED

and mentioning nas? gtfo he's went platinum many times already and had hit singles, he's older and he just makes more conscious music now...

i hate when record sales get brought into arguments

I guess the Beatles sucked then...add Led Zeppelin in there...even MJ.

Last.fm - DStyles23 Xbox Live GT: DStyles23

January 15, 2010 @ 10:38 AM
Cortex

the beatles sucks its just another pop bubblegum boy band
January 15, 2010 @ 10:39 AM
Mizz

nah the beatles and zeppelin were/are dope. soulja boi, wayne and drake are just straight whack.
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds!
January 15, 2010 @ 12:31 PM
goldANDsacks

nah the beatles and zeppelin were/are dope. soulja boi, wayne and drake are just straight whack.
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds!

true that. sure, the beatles started off as a "pop band" but they are prob one of the best examples of "growing" in the industry. you'd be surprised how many classic songs that seem innocent are actually about drugs/sex/partying. it's like the original subliminal line. like how lil jon got white america to yell "skeet skeet skeet" w/o knowing what it meant. awesome.
January 15, 2010 @ 12:32 PM
goldANDsacks

you obviously don't get some of the beatles music.
January 15, 2010 @ 12:33 PM
goldANDsacks

Soulja Boy>>>>>>>>.Lupe by far lyrically. I'm not even joking. I actually think SB is part of illuminati like Jay-Z. Just look at the Soulja Girl video, he's ordering pizza(Satanic symbol)

cosign.
January 15, 2010 @ 01:02 PM
Silver Bullet

I'm not a fan of Soulja Boy at all but i can't deny he makes good party music,and as it has been said before he ain't trying to be super lyrical.People don't really complain about N*E*R*D on here and their lyrics aint shit.Why?Because they know how to make good party records.They are not that different tbh.I think a lot hate because he is successful and probably gets a lot of pussy(He's fucked Rosa hasn't he? )on the back of one annoying record.But tbh it doesn't matter if most your listeners are girls,if it's gonna get you paid then you can't really complain.
January 15, 2010 @ 11:05 PM
Imco0l

hmm, i wonder if one day SB or NERD is gonna say they're good lyricists......
January 16, 2010 @ 12:22 AM
Above_All

This argument really comes down to how you measure who is a good rapper. I mean if you had to pick 3 criteria for what makes a good rapper I think Soulja Boy at the very least would meet one of them. Regardless the argument will never end because everything is so subjective and no real data could ever be used, other then record sales and maybe number of people at concerts and by that criteria I think Soulja Boy is a good rapper.
January 16, 2010 @ 12:31 AM
F/22

is there a set definition of what good is?

alot of album sales= alot of people buying them= people only buy albums they like?= buyin albums they think is good?

what your definition of good doesnt define what good is to his fanbase

he good just be a good musician but a bad rapper?

just my 2cents
January 16, 2010 @ 02:57 PM
jizzla

yeah, their probably one of the most respected bands ever, they totally suck..smh..
January 16, 2010 @ 03:41 PM
Captain Deez

Soulja Boy is a huge success not because he's an amazing lyricist, but because he's pretty much mastered the art of commercial music. His music is meant for passive listeners, i.e. teenagers that just want to dance or jam to his shit. People knock this dude because his lyrics aren't that great which is totally understandable but that not his job. His job is to market his style of pop music to the masses that don't actively listen. Album sales don't prove nothing but that you did your job and were marketed properly.
January 16, 2010 @ 03:46 PM
3 Stripes

Soulja Boy is a huge success not because he's an amazing lyricist, but because he's pretty much mastered the art of commercial music. His music is meant for passive listeners, i.e. teenagers that just want to dance or jam to his shit. People knock this dude because his lyrics aren't that great which is totally understandable but that not his job. His job is to market his style of pop music to the masses that don't actively listen. Album sales don't prove nothing but that you did your job and were marketed properly.

sad but true
January 16, 2010 @ 08:30 PM
Imco0l

agreed.
but
he should stop calling himself a rapper and start calling himself a pop artist.
January 16, 2010 @ 10:23 PM
jizzla

^he's a rapper,just because he's not jumpin around and rapping like the GZA doesn't mean he's not a rapper, narrow minded ass n!ggas, rap has more than one sound, just accept it
January 16, 2010 @ 10:47 PM
Imco0l

no....
he's not rapping.
yeah, rap definately has more than one sound. but idk how soulja boy's songs can be considered rap when it's pretty much just a beat and him starting repeating the same shit over and over.
that's party music.
January 16, 2010 @ 11:05 PM
jizzla

^thats your opinion, doesn't mean its not rapping, and "party shit" was around before backpacker bs, thats not where hip hop started and that shits not where its gonna end, you can't give a legit, non-bias, arguement on how soulja boy's not hip hop and shouldn't be considered a rapper...
January 17, 2010 @ 06:51 AM
DaSteeze

no....
he's not rapping.
yeah, rap definately has more than one sound. but idk how soulja boy's songs can be considered rap when it's pretty much just a beat and him starting repeating the same shit over and over.
that's party music.

partying music is the fucking core of hip-hop u idiot

hes spitting rhymes over beats with rhythm and even more is making the crowd move, thats hip-hop
January 17, 2010 @ 07:43 AM
A BreYthing Ape

Soulja boy is good at what he does. He's an entertainer. He's sold a lot of records because of that. Ya'll always try to compare his music to (insert lyricist here). That aint soulja boys thing and that's not what he's trying to be. Ya'll young niiggas got the game fucked up. Back in the day there was luke and 2 live crew, sir mix a lot, tone loc, fuckin mc hammer, and the list can go on. Them niiggas wasn't rappin about shit but it was cool to rock to it because that was that party shit. That's what it was made for. They knew their place and soulja boy knows his. A lot of ya'll niiggas are haters, just listen to the niigga shit to hate. Why even come in the thread and listen to the song? What did you expect?

Cheaaaa mah *****, was gonna come talk about this. But I expect that most of these posters are little 'backpacking' kids trying to seem cool with that whole I 'listen to the lyrics' bullshit. You can do both, there's doesn't have to be a divide. Stop trying to impress some ******s.
January 17, 2010 @ 08:03 AM
99%Shit

Not everyone that dislikes Soulja Boy is a backpacker, fuck.

narsha.narsha.narsha

January 17, 2010 @ 08:04 AM
A BreYthing Ape

Would you state that you have disdain for a majority of southern rap, or club led hip hop?
January 17, 2010 @ 08:12 AM
A BreYthing Ape

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQObWW06VAM
How many of you would class this as not hip hop? Just would like to know.
January 17, 2010 @ 08:41 AM
99%Shit

Would you state that you have disdain for a majority of southern rap, or club led hip hop?

Not at all.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lvf28Y0aJ6w

narsha.narsha.narsha

January 17, 2010 @ 09:03 AM
DStyles

no....
he's not rapping.
that's party music.

So wtf is rap music? MF DOOM?! LOL!!!

January 17, 2010 @ 09:25 AM
DaSteeze

huh, mf dooms not rap? stfu man ur just saying the same shit as him but picking the opposite. seriously, ur an idiot. and u think ur dropping knowledge. u stupid motherfucker, ur contributing nothing to any threads. and the sad shit is ur having fun being an idiot on here.
January 17, 2010 @ 09:30 AM
DStyles

huh, soulja boy not rap? stfu man ur just saying the same shit as him but picking the opposite. seriously, ur an idiot. and u think ur dropping knowledge. u stupid motherfucker, ur contributing nothing to any threads. and the sad shit is ur having fun being an idiot on here.

January 17, 2010 @ 09:36 AM
DaSteeze

sigh
January 17, 2010 @ 09:38 AM
DStyles

*sigh*

Please login first to reply.