Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
October 16, 2009 @ 02:54 PM
goldANDsacks

this was a couple days ago, but i only got a chance to see it just now. (my bad if theres already a thread on this)

did anyone else catch it? who did you think had the best performance, other than eminem doing "rock the bells" of course.

something that DID piss me off though, was a KANYE TRIBUTE?! REALLY?! how are they gonna do a kanye tribute and NOT do a Jay-z tribute.... scratch that. how are they gonna do a kanye tribute and NOT do a RUN DMC tribute?!?!?! RUN DMC IS DEF JAM!

and did anyone else find it hilarious to see a sea of white people rocking out to Public Enemy? i bet chuck D didn't expect something like that to happen when he wrote "fight the power"
October 16, 2009 @ 03:02 PM
goldANDsacks

oh, and i wish they had the Cool Kids for the Beastie Boys tribute. that would have been epic.
October 16, 2009 @ 08:36 PM
F/22

i thought wale/travis/and krs one performance was pretty goood
never watched the whole show though
October 16, 2009 @ 09:09 PM
B.M.

A Def Jam tribute? Dumb premise. That's like a hall of fame inducting a franchise instead of individuals.

Beastie Boys? Yes.
LL Cool J? Yes and no.
Ja Rule doing anything? Fuck No.

Bottom Line there are a lot of better more influential rappers/groups out there that could have been inducted.

"I got smokers hitting rocks making Stevie J faces" - Quilly

October 16, 2009 @ 10:29 PM
SantaDuJuan

this was a couple days ago, but i only got a chance to see it just now. (my bad if theres already a thread on this)

did anyone else catch it? who did you think had the best performance, other than eminem doing "rock the bells" of course.

something that DID piss me off though, was a KANYE TRIBUTE?! REALLY?! how are they gonna do a kanye tribute and NOT do a Jay-z tribute.... scratch that. how are they gonna do a kanye tribute and NOT do a RUN DMC tribute?!?!?! RUN DMC IS DEF JAM!

and did anyone else find it hilarious to see a sea of white people rocking out to Public Enemy? i bet chuck D didn't expect something like that to happen when he wrote "fight the power"

|0 Come on
October 16, 2009 @ 11:35 PM
i Shot JFK lol

i thought this was the most bullshit hip hop honors ever, out all the possible ppl they could have honored, their near bottomless catalogue of artists, they bring out ja rule & rick ross? wtf?

like nuttin really against those dudes cuz at one point or another i think we were all fans, but come on son, seriously you could have chosen damn near anybody else and it would have gone down as classic.

def jams stable is so fuckin deep with influential artist that they could have drew names out of a hat and came off legit, as it stands we got kanye being honored when he didnt even come in on def jams back.

yo straight up, fuck the hip hop honors b, they took a great concept and came inside of it then set it on fire while she slept.

wish i tivo'd last years hip hop honors sad
October 16, 2009 @ 11:51 PM
ᴊᴜᴀɴ

did anyone else catch it? who did you think had the best performance, other than eminem doing "rock the bells"of course.

Other than Em's performance the show was |0
October 17, 2009 @ 12:35 AM
B.M.

Hip Hop Honors only had a few monments that lived up to hype: Black Thought doing Paid In Full and GFK covering La-Di Da-Di

"I got smokers hitting rocks making Stevie J faces" - Quilly

October 17, 2009 @ 08:04 AM
delajoo

Run DMC had an entire hip hop honors dedicated to them already. And you will see a Jay-Z hip hop honors, but probably not when he JUST sold a million records. No use in honoring someone is doesnt need honoring, the guy is in the top 5 names of relevancy to hip hop right now.

I haven't seen the entire show because I'm in israel (stupid region blocking), but the parts that I did see were cool. I love the concept of hip hop honors, and to me it is refreshing to get a little time capsule of yester year, where most all the big names in rap were out of this world amazing.
October 17, 2009 @ 07:54 PM
character

I enjoyed the hip honors, i believe everyone killed it , Ja rule including was dope, everyone was dope, just watching bring back memories, Loved it.
October 17, 2009 @ 09:29 PM
K BOOG

i just watched it today and said im boycotting the show until they stop giving free tickets out to the patrons of starbucks. seriously. every year there are all these epic performances and the pit is nothing but a bunch of lame white people who dont know the words to any song. its annoying as fuck. i know A TON of REAL hip hop fans who would love to go.

and I dont really like this that much. all it is is basically a concert with other artists performing each others music. I'd like to see less performances and more stores/artist bios etc.
October 17, 2009 @ 09:48 PM
no0 v.2.0

how was "hustlin" a classic? lol
October 17, 2009 @ 09:50 PM
Process_Theory

kboog is right. and how does krs one not know the beastie boy lyrics. cmon dude.
October 18, 2009 @ 05:54 PM
thedailyopp

it was ok..i dont think it was as dope as the previous years
October 23, 2009 @ 10:06 AM
goldANDsacks

Run DMC had an entire hip hop honors dedicated to them already. And you will see a Jay-Z hip hop honors, but probably not when he JUST sold a million records. No use in honoring someone is doesnt need honoring, the guy is in the top 5 names of relevancy to hip hop right now.

I haven't seen the entire show because I'm in israel (stupid region blocking), but the parts that I did see were cool. I love the concept of hip hop honors, and to me it is refreshing to get a little time capsule of yester year, where most all the big names in rap were out of this world amazing.

even though RunDMC had their own show, they could have still included one of their songs in the medley at the end (at least). I mean Run DMC is sooo influential to Def Jam. It'd be like having a Chicago Bulls Honors, and not mentioning Michael Jordan under the reasoning that Jordan had his own honors show.... whatever, it's still important to the organization!

and i agree with your point about Jay-Z not needing to be honored when he's still relevant. but kanye is still relevant and he got "honored" by a cover song. i was just saying that if they were gonna go there anyways, they should have honored Jay over Kanye.... i mean, really? kanye?! already?!

i do love this show's concept, even if they messed it up. i guess i just wish i was in control of the programming.

and i thought KRS-ONE was kinda out of place with gym class and wale. it would have been awesome for the new school "freshmen" (are they still considered freshmen? ) to all do a set together to honor the old heads.

Red and Meth definitely killed it! and i LOVED the DJ sets (Jazzy Jeff!) it was good to see old school turn tablism on the main stage like that! i hope scratching makes a comeback
October 23, 2009 @ 11:38 AM
Jay_Bird

what was up with wale in that mikey mouse hoody
October 23, 2009 @ 08:04 PM
StreetwearOverSuits

what was up with wale in that mikey mouse hoody

Supreme hoody I guess you're talking about.
October 23, 2009 @ 09:44 PM
dots...

IDK what yall be listnin to but the best part of the show was the nostalgic talk behind the scenes and redman&meth. every other performance was a lackluster say your lyrics piece of crap that no one would be proud of. I wish the whole thing was just documentary,no exaggerating i would have loved that.
October 26, 2009 @ 09:29 AM
dziner82

i only caught wale's performance of kanye's song the other day, but i must admit that when i heard they were inducting def jam as a whole i thought that was kinda weak, but thats just because i have loved the first few. I will have to catch the whole thing on palladium to judge performances. But i also agree that having kanye's music on there is taking away from the nostalgia of the event that i liked so much.

I just hope they dont water it down or lower their standards. When you talk about rakim, big daddy kane, tribe, etc you cant start putting newer lesser artists in there just to have a show and make money.

Please login first to reply.