SALE - Up to 70% Off - Shop Now
May 18, 2009 @ 09:52 PM
UghItsDave

Konvict Records' Roderick "Dolla" Burton was fatally shot Monday May 18 afternoon after an altercation took place in a California shopping center.

Dolla was reportedly with another artist when the incident took place.

According to his publicist, Sue Vannasing, she said Dolla was shot in the head around 3:10 p.m. while he and another rapper, DJ Shabbazz, waited in the Beverly Center mall area after shopping. About two hours later, Los Angeles police detained a "person of interest" as he attempted to board a plane out of Los Angeles International Airport. The man allegedly drove his silver Mercedes SUV from Beverly Center to the airport. Vannasing said Dolla had gotten into an altercation with other passengers on a flight from Atlanta to Los Angeles, but it's unclear if that was related to the violence. (Sun Sentinel)
Employees around the area have commented on the shooting.

At a Chipotle restaurant in the mall, several people were eating when the shots rang out. "The customers were yelling 'close the store, close the store, because somebody is shooting,'" said Elsa Hernandez, general manager of the restaurant. An employee who was behind the restaurant, near the mall's valet parking service, saw the tail end of the dispute, Hernandez said. He saw a lady ... shooting a handgun, Hernandez said. (Los Angeles Times)
The rapper was an established artist associated with Akon's Konvict label.

The 21-year-old rapper, born Roderick Anthony Burton II, was signed to Akon's Konvict imprint through Jive Records. He told Rap-Up about his harsh upbringing in an article that appeared in the magazine last year. He was born into death when his twin died at birth, he witnessed his father commit suicide, his sister is incarcerated, and he had been shot previously. His single, ?Who the F*** Is That?? featuring T-Pain, was released in late 2007. (Rap-Up)
He built connections within the industry amongst hip-hop moguls like Diddy.

Atlanta rapper Dolla played talent shows and showcases as a member of Da Razkalz Cru. They released the 2003 single "So Fly" on the major-label imprint Elektra, but it went nowhere and the band was dropped from the label that same year. In the end, the best thing that would happen to Dolla as he was hanging with Razkalz was meeting both Akon, who was producing for the label, and Diddy, who would take Dolla under his wing not as a rapper, but as a model. (All Music Guide)
No further information has yet been released to the media.

http://www.sohh.com/2009/05/breaking_konvict_rapper_d.html
May 18, 2009 @ 10:01 PM
damnwitless2

suspended

...who?

All I do is smoke weed, blow lines, and listen to MF DOOM. And rap. http://www.facebook.com/SpacemanNYC

May 18, 2009 @ 10:03 PM
UghItsDave

Someone who worked with people you'll never get a chance to work with. His passing is enough to make the front pages of respected sites, show respect.
May 18, 2009 @ 10:08 PM
damnwitless2

suspended

nah, I mean, it's sad and all but like...why do I care?

All I do is smoke weed, blow lines, and listen to MF DOOM. And rap. http://www.facebook.com/SpacemanNYC

May 18, 2009 @ 10:23 PM
UghItsDave

no disrespect dude, but this isn't the post only What ZA the Rugged Man Cares about discussion forum.
May 18, 2009 @ 10:53 PM
UghItsDave

dang crazy. that "who the fuck is that" track was all over MTV jams awhile back. thats bout only reason i know of the dude tho

The crazy thing is that it happened in broad daylight and shit, out in a public place.
May 18, 2009 @ 10:57 PM
bloxheads

The crazy thing is that it happened in broad daylight and shit, out in a public place.

its crazy because i was just at the place that it happnd at yesterday. shit is crazy, dude was young.

RIP dolla.

at every party/ kickback, they play im fucked up, is like a black teen anthem
May 18, 2009 @ 11:01 PM
jeaniu$

nah, I mean, it's sad and all but like...why do I care?

you ignorant fuck show some condolescence and respect even if you dont know the boy.

I could give a fuck and say why the fuck do I care? if your mother died from getting shot in a shooting, but im well educated enough to know not to say why do I care?

but yeah that just shows the level of education you are at, and how shameful your mother would be reading the shit you be writing with no thought put into it.
May 18, 2009 @ 11:07 PM
chargerfan

the crazy part is that it happend at the Beverly Center.
May 18, 2009 @ 11:08 PM
Bill B.

There are a few Dolla's in the hip-hop community. Never heard of this one though. R.I.P.
May 18, 2009 @ 11:10 PM
TheCityOfChi

i actually kind of liked that song sad
May 19, 2009 @ 12:00 AM
damnwitless2

suspended

you ignorant fuck show some condolescence and respect even if you dont know the boy.

I could give a fuck and say why the fuck do I care? if your mother died from getting shot in a shooting, but im well educated enough to know not to say why do I care?

but yeah that just shows the level of education you are at, and how shameful your mother would be reading the shit you be writing with no thought put into it.

the fuck are you talking about? Guess what, several people fucking died in the time between me posting this and you reading it, and there's no threads about them, so what makes me give a fuck about Dolla? Like I said, it's sad he's dead but what, NEWS-FLASH, senseless violence claims young lives!

May 19, 2009 @ 12:46 AM
AlwayS_DreSSeD

its crazy because i was just at the place that it happnd at yesterday. shit is crazy, dude was young.

RIP dolla.

this

www.NickyDsss.com

May 19, 2009 @ 01:12 AM
CraftySince90

No disrespect but thats how we get down in CALI. *****s dont care if its sunlight or not
May 19, 2009 @ 11:26 AM
Christdawg

So sad.....Didnt know who the hell he was but still. Drivebys are a bitch move.
May 19, 2009 @ 12:00 PM
KICKROCKS

never heard of him, but my girl and I always eat at that exact Chipotle at the Bev. center. it's crazy.

May 19, 2009 @ 12:12 PM
peapod

I know you guys remember him from this song...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGuqewf9taY
May 19, 2009 @ 12:22 PM
w00tJAMES

Yeah I know that song.. so young sad R.I.P.
Jim Jones ft. Dolla - Doughboy

the beat reminds me of Eazy E for some reason
May 19, 2009 @ 01:24 PM
Beach2theBay

I can't believe this happened at the Beverly Center. That's supposed to be one of the nicest malls in CA but these hoods ass people are fucking it up.
May 19, 2009 @ 07:05 PM
hypebea$t

Dolla shot dead
[SIZE="5"]Rapper Dolla Struggled For Hip-Hop Success[/SIZE]

Rapper Dolla, born Roderick Anthony Burton II, was shot and killed while waiting in the valet area of the Beverly Center mall in Los Angeles on Monday (May 1cool. He was 21.

According to the Los Angeles Times, the up-and-coming rapper, who signed to Akon's Konvict Muzik label in 2007, had flown to Los Angeles that very morning to continue work on his oft-delayed solo debut, "A Dolla And A Dream," which had been slated for a summer release. He went to the Beverly Center to shop, his publicist Sue Vannasing told the newspaper. After the shooting, Burton was taken to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center a few blocks from the mall, where he died, police said.

According to the Times, the LAPD has not announced a motive for the attack or identified any official suspects, although detectives are questioning a woman they detained at the scene and a man who allegedly fled in a silver Mercedes SUV after he was detained while approaching the ticketing area at the Los Angeles International Airport armed with a gun.

TMZ reports police arrested a man identified as 23-year-old Aubrey Berry at LAX after authorities issued an alert that the suspect may be headed for the airport. The airport police reportedly spotted a man who matched the description of the assailant sitting in the lobby of one of the terminals. When police approached him, Berry said he knew why they were there, raised his hands and told them he had a 9 MM gun in his waistband.

The shooting took place at around 3:10 P.M., and according to the Times, sent shoppers and diners -- who said they heard four to five shots rang out -- diving for cover.
May 19, 2009 @ 07:08 PM
AntonyT

mhm. it is a shame, plus your late
May 19, 2009 @ 07:11 PM
hypebea$t

ya i know

this story was buzzing at school today
May 19, 2009 @ 08:14 PM
ChicaGo-Getter

I was a fan. "Who The F... Is That?" was like my club anthem last year. And I saw him body the booth on Rap City which really made me look at him different. Dude could really spit. Like for real. His mixtape "Anotha Day Anthona Dolla" was nice. With the right push he could've been the next T.I. Or some shit.

Some crazy shit is he release a joint not too long about called "Georgia Nights" about him getting killed on some Pac ish. Crazy.

May God have mercy on his soul...
May 19, 2009 @ 08:59 PM
Exo

RIP Dolla
he was only 21 sad

edit: sorry bout new thread lol
May 19, 2009 @ 09:56 PM
jizzla

RIP dolla.

where, nobody bumps his shit around here in Atlanta, and this is where he is from

dudes music sucked ,but rip and condolescence to his fam

No disrespect but thats how we get down in CALI. *****s dont care if its sunlight or not

dude that killed him is from Atlanta
May 19, 2009 @ 11:29 PM
filth

R.I.P. Dolla
If anyone remembers him from the single "who the fuck is that (feat. Akon, and T-pain) he got shot in the head yesterday.. thats so fucked up.

full story here --> latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/05/man-fatally-shot-at-entrance-to-beverly-center-.html

R.I.P.
May 19, 2009 @ 11:43 PM
slapper

RIP i read it on hotnewhiphop. same exact article
May 19, 2009 @ 11:53 PM
YCNHOJ

RIP Dolla.
Senseless Violence....SMH
May 20, 2009 @ 12:19 AM
dunnlanguage

Who the fuck is thaaat?

RIP doller (at least I don't have to hear his trash anymore)
May 20, 2009 @ 01:57 AM
Androo

dude didnt even get to enjoy his time on top for that long...but he did make some pretty dope shit while he was alive.

Please login first to reply.