Get 15% Off + Free Shipping on Orders over $150 - Use Code: EPICSUMMER
May 1, 2009 @ 07:26 PM
MFdoom

Anyone else think mos def is a underrated mc .confused
May 1, 2009 @ 07:32 PM
Beez

what music by mos def are you basing your judgement on?

twitter @brandohnn findme. injc*

May 1, 2009 @ 07:36 PM

Inactive

No.

He is a god to backpackin nigas. And was reasonably popular in the late 90s as THE poster child for independent music. To dudes coming up on "alternative rap" during this era he was thier Tribe and/or De La. If you expecting him to be celebrated like Jay-z or something, considering his subject matter and lack of commercial records limit his audience. So considering how well known and liked he is doing the kind of music he does...he is not underrated at all. Plus, he got a pass for that last wack album.
May 1, 2009 @ 07:58 PM
CREAMLIFE

Mos def is definitely under rated.
Seen him at a show and he killed it
theres too many fake rappers talking about how rich and gangster they are. It gets annoying
May 1, 2009 @ 08:21 PM

Inactive

Im totally not understanding you guys definition of underrated. In what sense?

- Blackstar was the most highly anticipated album the year it dropped amongst Hip Hop heads and this was before Mos even had a solo album.
- Is considerd a Hip Hop classic
- "Black on Both Sides" received rave reviews from music critics. 4 stars in Rolling Stone, 4 Mics in the Source, An A by Entertainment weekly and a 8.7/10 on Pitchfork.
- The album also charted number 3 on the charts when it dropped, excellent chart position for a Hip Hop album released under a independent banner Rawkus.
- The album is considered a classic by most people knowledgeable of Hip Hop.
- "The New Danger" was number 5 on the Billboard charts when it dropped, number 2 on the Hip Hop charts.
- Given 4 stars from Rolling Stone, a B+ in EW

Considering he only came out with one album since then "True Magic" which was roundly panned, and he declined to do any promotion for it. He gets mad love, and this is from a dude who doesnt come out with dance singles or doesnt get his music played on commercial radio. He is as about as high as you can get for the kind of MC he is. Most dudes who use the same subject matter and beats he chooses are regulated to the chit;in circuit.
May 1, 2009 @ 08:39 PM
smoulder

sub murking bitches.

mos def is definately not underrated..... if someone told me they were into hip hop and hadnt heard the blackstar album i would be shocked etc. hes the black dante.
May 1, 2009 @ 08:44 PM
illy

sub murking bitches.

mos def is definately not underrated..... if someone told me they were into hip hop and hadnt heard the blackstar album i would be shocked etc. hes the black dante.

cosign sub and smould.

you could claim that of any backpack type artist... of course people that are strictly into mainstream or gangster shit or whatever aren't going to recognize them so in that respect they're underrated. but to people that are fans of that specific type of hiphop, saying mos def is underrated just doesn't make sense.
May 1, 2009 @ 08:51 PM
Jaylib

man i wasnt feelin "the new danger" too much. blackstar is the shit though. i'll always love mos no matter how big his image gets and no matter how out there he goes. most probably.

anyways.....i dont think he's that underrated. people hear "mos def" and they all up on it, whether they actually listen to him or not.
May 1, 2009 @ 08:57 PM
Essence0

Mos Def is in no way underrated. He hasn't dropped an album worth buying in a decade and he still gets a lot of praise for his past work. I like him but for someone who hasn't been dropping quality music consistently, he gets a lot more love then he deserves.
May 1, 2009 @ 09:19 PM
nasDAQ

Mos is deffffinitely not overrated. thats it.
May 2, 2009 @ 12:44 AM
Bill B.

No.
Mainstream maybe, but who the fuck cares about mainstream?
Blackstar is a great album.
Mos Def is a great rapper.
/thread
May 2, 2009 @ 10:46 AM
K BOOG

Im totally not understanding you guys definition of underrated. In what sense?

- Blackstar was the most highly anticipated album the year it dropped amongst Hip Hop heads and this was before Mos even had a solo album.
- Is considerd a Hip Hop classic
- "Black on Both Sides" received rave reviews from music critics. 4 stars in Rolling Stone, 4 Mics in the Source, An A by Entertainment weekly and a 8.7/10 on Pitchfork.
- The album also charted number 3 on the charts when it dropped, excellent chart position for a Hip Hop album released under a independent banner Rawkus.
- The album is considered a classic by most people knowledgeable of Hip Hop.
- "The New Danger" was number 5 on the Billboard charts when it dropped, number 2 on the Hip Hop charts.
- Given 4 stars from Rolling Stone, a B+ in EW

Considering he only came out with one album since then "True Magic" which was roundly panned, and he declined to do any promotion for it. He gets mad love, and this is from a dude who doesnt come out with dance singles or doesnt get his music played on commercial radio. He is as about as high as you can get for the kind of MC he is. Most dudes who use the same subject matter and beats he chooses are regulated to the chit;in circuit.

co-sign. whats even more important is that he has been able to stay relevant in an era where independ artist popularity has fell to the wayside. I can only think of a handful of talented backpack mc's(talib,common,etc)who have weathered the storm and remained relevant in the past 8 years. He did this by really putting his face out there in terms of movies,acting, pop culture in general. He got his acting game together and suprsingly his acting is not bad, as seen in 'brown sugar', 'what the lord made'. He is wildy popular despite fact his last album was a joke. He hasn't 'sold-out'. All his movies are decent. His music could be better. But at least he's still making it. Kudos to Mos for still being popular when G Unit cant even seem to do that.
May 2, 2009 @ 11:14 PM
thrashzoo

mos def is one of the best in hip hop. he is also one of the most critically acclaimed in modern hip hop. he is definitely not underrated.
May 3, 2009 @ 03:44 PM
freshkid

mos def and talib are the two of the most lyrically intelligent rappers in the game....soo under rated
May 4, 2009 @ 01:08 PM
WGMeets

mos def is one of the best in hip hop. He is also one of the most critically acclaimed in modern hip hop. He is definitely not underrated.

ding ding ding!!!
May 4, 2009 @ 01:18 PM
rtst102

I also say he's not underrated for a lot of the reasons mentioned in the page before.
May 22, 2009 @ 07:00 PM
allucard317

i think he is to the fact that most ctas down south dont digg his shit. when in reality everything he drops is fire from prduction up to lyrics
May 22, 2009 @ 09:01 PM
Beaner

^^Irony
May 23, 2009 @ 06:06 PM

Inactive

I like him more as an actor than an artist, but I do respect what he does musically.
May 23, 2009 @ 06:51 PM
Juki

this mutha fucka OVERRATED. hop off the nuts.

I agree, sometime he gets more than enough credit. Talib, on the other hand is underrated, and a better lyricist in my opinion.

Doubleclutchhoops.com

May 23, 2009 @ 07:49 PM
D

Baby slow down just take your time
You and me gon' be here for a while oookaay

Please login first to reply.