Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
April 14, 2009 @ 03:06 PM
bdotwells

see:

"How To Rob" (Power Of The Dollar)
- classic. first song that gave 50 hype with good reason.
"Corner Bodega" (Power Of The Dollar)
- rhyming about real shit. Why everybody used to fuck with him. You could tell he really did this other than the fake gangstas out now.
"Ghetto Qua Ran" (Power Of The Dollar)
- you already know about this. name's all of NY's heavy hitters. The shit that supposedly got supreme locked.
"50 bars" (Guess Who's Back)
- wow
"Doo Wop Freestyle" (Guess Who's Back)
- classic flow over epmd beat.

Get Rich or Die Tryin was classic of course. But half of the songs on there were already released at the time. There were a few nice tracks on Massacre. The rest pretty much Garbage. 50 described himself as rap's villain but i think he took it too far now he's hard to like. But back in the day he used to be backed pretty heavy by Nas and Jam Master Jay. If 50 got popped before he got corny I'm sure people would be ranking him top 10 a lot more often. What do you all think?

Now i hate 50 more than any other rapper. His only fans are suburb ghetto tween dickriders, it's a shame.
April 14, 2009 @ 03:19 PM

Inactive

Top 10 , even if he was murdered is very far fetched. He was better then he is now but even great is a stretch. He always had a command over melody, & could write a dope hook always and in his Power Of The Dollar days he was more lyrical. But, whether he woulda become Hip Hops permanent asshole or not I believe he woulda slowed down anyway. He's one dimensional, no progression. I get shot, I'll shoot u.....repeat.
April 14, 2009 @ 03:33 PM
bdotwells

i agree, if you look at how he used to be and how he is now its really no suprise that he is in the position he is in now. All he was good at rapping about was coke and guns. His flow is all that carries him now but back then he had flow AND lyrics. All B.I.G. rapped about was hoes, getting rich, drugs etc. etc. yet we still put him among the best. He was just as one dimensional as 50. Maybe not the most clever metaphors but they always made sense and made you feel what he is saying.

I dont think great is a stretch at all. His underground buzz was unbelievably strong, and for good reason.
April 14, 2009 @ 03:37 PM
dots...

i agree, if you look at how he used to be and how he is now its really no suprise that he is in the position he is in now. All he was good at rapping about was coke and guns. His flow is all that carries him now but back then he had flow AND lyrics. All B.I.G. rapped about was hoes, getting rich, drugs etc. etc. yet we still put him among the best. He was just as one dimensional as 50. Maybe not the most clever metaphors but they always made sense and made you feel what he is saying.

I dont think great is a stretch at all. His underground buzz was unbelievably strong, and for good reason.

i agree that biggie was pretty 1 dimensional,but! his rhymes and flow and even gangsta rap were relatively new at the time,keep that in mind.
April 14, 2009 @ 03:43 PM
MFdoom

50 cent sucks
April 14, 2009 @ 03:46 PM

Inactive

Maybe me saying him being one dimensional as a reason that he wouldnt be considered great was poor wording choice on my part. Its not so much the fact that he only raps about a few things that would not push him to the great stratosphere it's the way it's done. From "Ready To Die" to "Life After Death" there was a sharp progression and a more current feel and that was only after the course of a few years. BIG is considered great not only cause of his progression, lyrical skill and story telling but also because of how he affected East Coast music. Brought them back from the abyss when all radio wanted to hear was G-Funk. "Power of the DOllar" had a buzz and 50 made somewhat of a splash but pre using internet as a marketing tool 50 was known mostly just in the tri state area and mixtape faithfuls thats all. I dont think his reach was long or far enough to garner any kind of greatness label except for the fact that people overate you when you die.
April 14, 2009 @ 03:51 PM
KUSH

as the world turns and i'm a hustla... both sick
April 14, 2009 @ 04:05 PM
bdotwells

50 added a dimension to gangsta rap. While other rappers just alluded to pushing weight and being in the hood. 50 actually went into detail, brought names into the mix and just subtle words and references that showed that he was more authentic than any other rapper out at the time. Which is mostly why he was so effective against ja rule. He made more than a "splash". Get Rich or Die Tryin is one of the best/ most anticipated debut albums ever released in rap next to Ready To Die. It was one of only 6 albums to intially get an XXL rating. Now its one of 18 or something.

I never really got into Biggie. Im 18 and he was just barely before my time. I was 4 when Ready to Die came out so the buzz didnt really reach me.
April 14, 2009 @ 04:07 PM
bdotwells

as the world turns and i'm a hustla... both sick

right
April 14, 2009 @ 04:12 PM
NZOO

Yea old 50 was the truth, but now...

Don't badmind me.

April 14, 2009 @ 04:17 PM

Inactive

I was thinking you were talking about him getting killed when he got shot 9 times which was after Power of the Dollar and before GRODT. If you're judging it from after GRODT then yeah Im sure some people would have called him great, some people still do. But, i dont necessarily know if its accurate. 1 classic album and fever pitch hype doesnt necessarily rank you as a great in my personal book. But, it's all relative. While its all taste, and maybe u never got into Biggie, but his career was more then just a few albums there was a whole movement that latched on to him, an entire coast really. Using a standard of, _______ would be considered top 10 if we only judged him by his first album would throw a shitload of people into taht category, including a large amount of people (like 50) who eventually got wack. How many times have u heard "_______ first album was great, but it was downhill from there"?
April 14, 2009 @ 04:26 PM
bdotwells

no i meant just get killed before he got corny. And i see what you're saying, but i dont think Biggie or Pac would have been considered as great if they were still around. And i wasnt saying that he would be in the definitive top 10 if you disregarded his recent albums, i said that he would be in MORE of peoples top 10 list. I see where your coming from but i disagree. I dont think greatness should be measured in volume. EXAMPLE: D'Angelo. Only Had 2 albums, no mixtapes, and he is considered to have one of the greatest voices since the Al Green/ Marvin Gaye era.
April 14, 2009 @ 06:23 PM
nasDAQ

"I run the city, and i don' dance arounf like Diddy!"
April 14, 2009 @ 10:51 PM
Acclaimed

I still bump old 50 from time to time. His new stuff is, well, not good though.
April 14, 2009 @ 11:28 PM
NZOO

Don't badmind me.

April 15, 2009 @ 01:20 AM
Zeon

It all changed when that nikka made the deal with Vitamin Water.
April 15, 2009 @ 12:58 PM
11foraO

It's funny you should start this thread. I recently came across an old mixtape with the song Surrounded by Hoes by Fifty over some R&B beat. Great jam. Been bumping it for a couple weeks now.

Check it - www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYOv4HS3Wmg
April 15, 2009 @ 05:32 PM
bdotwells

^ thanks for the post my dude what tape is that from?

"IF I SAY WE GON' SING NEW EDITION, WE ALL GON' SING NEW EDITION!"
April 16, 2009 @ 12:21 AM
11foraO

^ thanks for the post my dude what tape is that from?

"IF I SAY WE GON' SING NEW EDITION, WE ALL GON' SING NEW EDITION!"

I have no idea. Had it on a mix I made. I'll see if I can send it to you through zshare or some shit when I have a chance.
April 16, 2009 @ 06:47 PM
April 18, 2009 @ 01:18 AM
no1deasoriginal

It all changed when that nikka made the deal with Vitamin Water.

^lol.

for sure.
April 18, 2009 @ 01:20 AM
randomgrandeur

It's funny you should start this thread. I recently came across an old mixtape with the song Surrounded by Hoes by Fifty over some R&B beat. Great jam. Been bumping it for a couple weeks now.

Check it - www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYOv4HS3Wmg

Jonell - Round & Round off Hi-Teknology.
April 19, 2009 @ 12:47 AM
curtis50cent

im still dope.cool
April 19, 2009 @ 07:51 AM
teov

50's power of the dollar is one of my fav albums

Blog : lifetimesofmrm.blogspot.com Check my tumblr lifetimesofmrm.tumblr.com HELGEN X. I love the fact that you don't dress like a fake poser skateboarding faggot from HB!

April 19, 2009 @ 02:58 PM
thrashzoo

50 cent sucks.
April 19, 2009 @ 06:21 PM
no1deasoriginal

^sent.
April 19, 2009 @ 10:58 PM
casanova

i still listen to power of the dolla/ GRODT fifty.. he has one of the best flows/ voices ever in my opionion..

that track he made a lil while ago "50 for president" reminded me of the old fifty, it was pretty nice
April 19, 2009 @ 11:24 PM
CREAMLIFE

He was dope back in the day but now he just does mad publicity stunts like dissing all these rappers to get hype
April 29, 2009 @ 07:29 PM
Evgraf

god ive been tryin to get power of the dollar and guess who's back for so longggg

http://cavalieressentials.com/

April 29, 2009 @ 08:14 PM
kitren2

torrent ftw

Please login first to reply.