April 6, 2009 @ 09:19 PM
yarraguzmn

i just started playing a couple days ago..ive been learning from watchin youtube tutorials..just wondering if anyone has any advice for me and what i should be doing..
April 6, 2009 @ 09:45 PM
jay3091

Man I wish
I just found out my school had a piano class a few monthes ago and I felt really stupid, lol
April 6, 2009 @ 09:48 PM
yarraguzmn

never too late..ive always like the piano and how it works but i was too lazy to learn cuz i thought it was hard..but im pickin it up quick..i think im gonna sign up for sum classes..
April 6, 2009 @ 09:58 PM
lolwut

i just started playing a couple days ago..ive been learning from watchin youtube tutorials..just wondering if anyone has any advice for me and what i should be doing..

not even tryna rain on your parade but "leaning from youtube" is not playing the piano. that's how i used to play, but then i learned the notes and ish
April 6, 2009 @ 10:04 PM
yarraguzmn

i know i plan on learnin the keys and chords and everything..but since i dont know how to do that yet im just messin with youtube..how long did it take you to get good?
April 6, 2009 @ 10:23 PM
nasDAQ

i wish i learned how to play piano.. just so i can play my fav. hip hop songs.
like If I Ruled The World
April 6, 2009 @ 10:26 PM
yarraguzmn

why wish? just do it!! i am..nothing is impossible..if someone else can do it why cant you..thats how i see it..
April 6, 2009 @ 10:41 PM
TL

yeah i used to, start with the basic scales and what not...then build from there
April 6, 2009 @ 10:42 PM
lolwut

i know i plan on learnin the keys and chords and everything..but since i dont know how to do that yet im just messin with youtube..how long did it take you to get good?

uhm it all started with a class i took in high school. i didnt learn the notes/ didnt pay attention and played by ear. thats a no-no, especially with the piano, it sounds wack. but it took me about a year to get notes and playing down
April 6, 2009 @ 11:31 PM
Essence0

I played piano along with guitar and drums from 8th grade to senior year of high school. For piano, just keep on practicing at least 30 minutes a day and when trying to learn a song, just play like a line of the song over and over until you get it and continue from there. You should should get the sections quickly and before you know it, you'll get songs down quickly. I'd also advise to take a class of music theory to fully understand the piano but it's not necessary.
April 8, 2009 @ 12:05 AM
yarraguzmn

fasho..yeh im hoping once i pick up the notes and where the keys are ill be learnin songs much easier..
April 8, 2009 @ 09:39 PM
stuffle

i do it in my opinion is easier than guitar which isent hard to learn either as long as you have good finger control and time it wont be long till ur good at it
April 8, 2009 @ 09:42 PM
london says

Been playing since I was little, uncle is a Jazz pianist. Currently self-teaching guitar. I'm not a great note reader, most of what I play is just practicing using my ears. My family always y'know- made me play when I was little at parties and shit, so I played standards that the adults liked: stevie wonder, dionne warwick, burt bacharach, things like that. Jazz Standards and such. I didn't like piano then, but probably around High School I picked it up again; makes girls melt, for real. Anyway, I mostly play 90's classics, from whitney to mariah, John Legend to Justin Timberlake.

My advice is to get accustomed to chords and their basics. I was never good at memorization, so just knowing the basic chord progressions really helped. Check out the "Sudnow Method", it works on visualizing chords and such, not so much notation. Much better if you can play by ear, I mean, who brings piano books to a friend's house. I'm not saying completely stay away from site-reading, as learning is really difficult that way. You'll have to know THE basics for the piano. Like suggested above, take some musical theory classes if you have time. YouTube tutorials aren't always that helpful, they go very quickly for beginners and it may be more confusing. Anyway, I'll post some stuff up here, or on youtube. msg me if you have questions

Remember, PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. cheers
April 8, 2009 @ 09:49 PM
zyezye

used to take professional lessons when i was younger, dropped it when i reached level 3 because it was interfering with my studies. i picked it up again but i play 100% by ear now.

i'm a funk/jazz style bassist now.

btw piano like any instrument is going top be hard to learn. any instrument that requires expression of emotion will take YEARS to master. even masters practice. and not complex scales but sometimes one chord over and over for hours. just learn it at your own pace and find a style that you feel that would be easy for you to express yourself
April 8, 2009 @ 09:53 PM
london says

used to take professional lessons when i was younger, dropped it when i reached level 3 because it was interfering with my studies. i picked it up again but i play 100% by ear now.

i'm a funk/jazz style bassist now.

cool, do you have any stuff up on video?
April 8, 2009 @ 09:58 PM
zyezye

bass or piano? i have one piano freestyle up but its not my best lol

for bass i dont got one. i should make one, one of these days
April 8, 2009 @ 11:33 PM
its_BJ

Do yall play on a keyboard or a real piano?
If you got a keyboard what kind is it?
April 8, 2009 @ 11:39 PM
bloxheads

i plays both. self taught by ear, i wish i had lessons
April 9, 2009 @ 01:14 PM
TheOne

Do yall play on a keyboard or a real piano?
If you got a keyboard what kind is it?

I have a Korg M50 MusicWorkstation cool

have you guys tried playing amazing by kanye

shit is dope
April 9, 2009 @ 02:50 PM
yarraguzmn

thanks for all the advice guys..im hoping to sign up for some classes in a few weeks when i come back from LA..my cousin just learned how to play amazing yesterday took him 4 hours but it sounds so clean..haha..im juiced in a few months ill be jammin..practice practice practice..
March 18, 2012 @ 04:56 PM
LEEMMA

whats good i play the piano to i also learn most of my songs from youtube but i can read notes i just dont like to i have posted some of my piano covers on this site if you want to check them out let me know thanks
March 18, 2012 @ 05:51 PM
slenderboy

Been playing since I was little, uncle is a Jazz pianist. Currently self-teaching guitar. I'm not a great note reader, most of what I play is just practicing using my ears. My family always y'know- made me play when I was little at parties and shit, so I played standards that the adults liked: stevie wonder, dionne warwick, burt bacharach, things like that. Jazz Standards and such. I didn't like piano then, but probably around High School I picked it up again; makes girls melt, for real. Anyway, I mostly play 90's classics, from whitney to mariah, John Legend to Justin Timberlake.

My advice is to get accustomed to chords and their basics. I was never good at memorization, so just knowing the basic chord progressions really helped. Check out the "Sudnow Method", it works on visualizing chords and such, not so much notation. Much better if you can play by ear, I mean, who brings piano books to a friend's house. I'm not saying completely stay away from site-reading, as learning is really difficult that way. You'll have to know THE basics for the piano. Like suggested above, take some musical theory classes if you have time. YouTube tutorials aren't always that helpful, they go very quickly for beginners and it may be more confusing. Anyway, I'll post some stuff up here, or on youtube. msg me if you have questions

Yeah pretty much the same for me, only replace Jazz Standards with Chopin and 90's classics with Coldplay and Ben Folds

http://mercilessentropy.tumblr.com/

March 18, 2012 @ 05:57 PM
LEEMMA

Yeah pretty much the same for me, only replace Jazz Standards with Chopin and 90's classics with Coldplay and Ben Folds

WATS good i have been playing the piano for three years now i mostly play rap songs i i do know how to some classical hey check me out on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/HaRmonikBeats
March 18, 2012 @ 11:12 PM
tunnelno5

Learn the key signature. There are 7 sharps and 7 flats in western music. From there, you learn your major and corresponding scales. SCALES ARE UNDERRATED!

I wish i could post some theory lessons up here, but im so bad at explaining things over the internet :/

http://tunnelno5.bandcamp.com http://tunnelno5.tumblr.com http://www.youtube.com/user/TUNNELNO5beats/videos http://twitter.com/tunnelno5

March 19, 2012 @ 12:16 AM
sion

i wish I knew how to actually play piano .. usually when i make a beat I just try random chords
March 19, 2012 @ 12:19 AM
NapoleonComplex

Once you understand the Chord Progression Theory and the Scales of keys you're production will reach another level.
Dont just dick around to find chords that work together.

FUCK DREWBACCA | smh fuck REVS to....

March 19, 2012 @ 12:23 AM
bobby

pick up an introductory piano book, learn the shit out of it...train your ear and

Once you understand the Chord Progression Theory and the Scales of keys you're production will reach another level.

spot on. couple years and you'll be dope
March 19, 2012 @ 03:13 AM
sion

so i should try and take some music theory lessons ?
March 19, 2012 @ 06:20 AM
bulmasaur

i plays both. self taught by ear, i wish i had lessons

cool story bro
March 20, 2012 @ 11:05 PM
Joust Kontrol

I thought myself chords and shit by messing about, it helps to know your way around an instrument when making beats and songwriting.

This One Is Dedicated To Mary Lou Retton

Please login first to reply.