FALL SALE - 20% OFF - USE CODE: FALL20 (48 HOURS ONLY)
March 7, 2010 @ 04:09 PM
T3000

I ask this because I feel like there is a certain segment of the population that appreciates the art behind sneakers more than the average person does.

I was born in the 80s and grew up in the 90s. I had mad kicks even then. Mostly airwalks. Around the time I was entering HS, I was into skateboarding heavy and got sick and tired of basketball sneakers so I started rocking es, etnies, DCs, axions, etc.

When I turned 20 though, I went to london and remember seeing all of these japanese kids rocking dunk sbs. I mean the greybox era. They had on barfs, second gen supas, bisons, the black and red joints, etc. From then on, I just became obsessed with copping as many sneakers as possible. To this day, I'm still trying to break the 100+ mark on the sneaker collection.

I used to see collecting kicks like that as weird, until I got on sites like this one and was reading about heads with over 1,000 sneakers and shit and it made me feel sad.

So, are sneakerheads born or made?
March 7, 2010 @ 04:58 PM
kiko

sneakerheads are usually shitheads who feind for attention and use bright ass nikes as an exuse for people stare at em.
March 7, 2010 @ 06:54 PM
Striker

sneakerheads are usually shitheads who feind for attention and use bright ass nikes as an exuse for people stare at em.

or there just mega dicks.
for no reason.
March 7, 2010 @ 11:28 PM
T3000

HAHAH!!!!!!

Yeah, I skated in the majority of my kicks BTW. Personally, I could never relate to those types that buy shit to just keep in the box in a closet until who knows when. I always looked as it as being able to get on something I couldn't really when I was younger.

I understand there can be a certain elitist attitude that certain heads have, but that definetely ain't me for sure.

Yeah, it really isn't that serious, but I was hoping that this would somehow develop in a credible discussion.
March 7, 2010 @ 11:35 PM
lumpiasaurus rex

its either youre born rich and can afford dem kicks, or youre born poor and cant afford em
March 8, 2010 @ 03:35 PM
Canvas08

you are either born pinoy or born not pinoy
March 8, 2010 @ 03:57 PM
Jay

you are either born pinoy or born not pinoy

lolz
March 8, 2010 @ 08:13 PM
JoeP07

ha
March 9, 2010 @ 02:21 AM
cw0974

i agree and disagree with this. Sneakerheads that buy shoes for the love and like wearing them is what true sneakerheads do. On the otherhand, people who buy shoes just for the hype and love just showing them off are the "sneakerheads" (sort of speak) you are talking about.

I just don't agree with bashing all sneakerheads for those who do it wrong.
March 9, 2010 @ 04:04 AM
zyezye

just like what the person above me said, but to me there are 4 types of sneakerheads

first type is the annoying one, buying bright kicks, considers all GRs to be "heat" and buys into the hype. usually all for the sake of attention. also usually pinoy.

second are the rich fags (celebrities included), who just buy shit they see hyped on the net and cop it just to get any credibility that they're into the kick game. good example, justin bieber coppin supreme dunks.

and theres the real sneakerhead, knows whats going on in the culture, knows real heat when spotted, appreciates the shoe as a whole, for special collabs/editions, knows the background story/history. also to me, real sneaker heads dont keep shit ds.

hardcore heads have the 2-3 cop rule so they always rock the kicks they buy.
cop one to rock, one to keep on ice, one for backup incase pair one is fucked.

then there are the hardcore collectors. you know the dudes who get super exclusive pairs, collabs, limited edtions, PEs, One of Ones, Never released samples. yeah, you know, those type of collectors. the ones that wont hesitate to spend more than a grand on a pair of Jordan samples or something like that. even if its not their size.

imho real sneakerheads are born, it takes a certain person to appreciate a sneaker as a whole, not just for the hype, cw, brand, collab.
March 9, 2010 @ 12:40 PM
Mizz

cant really say i was born with it, but ive always had an eye for sneakers since i was a wee young lad in elementary school.
March 9, 2010 @ 12:45 PM
T3000

just like what the person above me said, but to me there are 4 types of sneakerheads

first type is the annoying one, buying bright kicks, considers all GRs to be "heat" and buys into the hype. usually all for the sake of attention. also usually pinoy.

second are the rich fags (celebrities included), who just buy shit they see hyped on the net and cop it just to get any credibility that they're into the kick game. good example, justin bieber coppin supreme dunks.

and theres the real sneakerhead, knows whats going on in the culture, knows real heat when spotted, appreciates the shoe as a whole, for special collabs/editions, knows the background story/history. also to me, real sneaker heads dont keep shit ds.

then there are the hardcore collectors. you know the dudes who get super exclusive pairs, collabs, limited edtions, PEs, One of Ones, Never released samples. yeah, you know, those type of collectors. the ones that wont hesitate to spend more than a grand on a pair of Jordan samples or something like that. even if its not their size.

imho real sneakerheads are born, it takes a certain person to appreciate a sneaker as a whole, not just for the hype, cw, brand, collab.

Great answer.
March 12, 2010 @ 07:22 AM
enterthewu

yeah most sneakerheads are a bunch of herbs.
March 12, 2010 @ 12:31 PM
Failure Pt.4

the dudes wearing the bright ass sneaks for attention usually aren't sneakerheads

a true sneakerhead can be seen rocking the same ass vans or chucks everyday, but when u go to his crib and he opens his closet he has shit you wished you had.
March 12, 2010 @ 02:15 PM
kiko

lol. i gotta admit im one of those dudes sorta...

i dont think i've worn a pair of sneakers other then chucks for the last year but i still buy kicks every once in a while just to put em away..
March 12, 2010 @ 03:11 PM
damnodalis

Agreed. I was just thinkin of this yesterday actually. There are ppl who were born sneakerheads and to me those are the ones that appreciate sneakers as a whole and dont give into the hype. Just buy kicks bc they appreciate them and actually wear them. The last two I question alot to me they usually become that way. But yeah these days its harder to find true sneakerheads, everyone is a "sneaker collector" now
March 12, 2010 @ 07:10 PM
BORNKING

what? ridiculous guys! i consider myself a sneaker head ...hype or know hype.. holding on to kicks for a while or not .... any one who hoard sneaks in some way is a sneaker head

me myself when i was younger i would hold on to my kicks for a while just to be the only one rocking a frssh pair... usually when a shoe drops most people are all wearing them ... preserve then break necks

and i am peaceful guy

its the same as fashion everyone wants to make mark

whether its loud color sneaks or basic dull color sneaks
March 13, 2010 @ 07:35 AM
wkm919

cool
May 2, 2010 @ 05:31 AM
kgeternity

well for me, sneakerheads are made for the fact that an individual has many different ways for self expression.

You cant say your born to be a sneakerhead because its like saying you were destined to be a sneakerhead. You must have seen a very prominent artist wearing one thats why you want that pair or you must have had like some kind of need then that need turned into appreciation.

Its true that there are only a few out of the millions of collectors out there who can appreciate the background and story behind every shoe but it takes dedication for research and passion for knowledge to be that kind of collector. So again, this kind of hardcore sneakerhead is made.

Appreciation for the culture takes time, you dont just buy a pair of Jordan 1s and say that you know the culture of the sneaker game and you are a sneaker head.

I, for example, fell in love with the whole sneaker game/ culture when I bought my first Nike Air Force 1. At first it was just a need because my beat up sneakers needed to retire and I was looking at different brands to replace my beat up sneakers. Then I saw the AF 1s and tried em on. The look was okay, the feel was nice, the comfort was there so why not buy? Then I started to research about other designs and thats how it started.

From that day on, I am a proud owner of 45 pairs. All for the same reason when I bought the sneakers that made me fall in love with shoes.

Some buy for attention, some buy for collection, some buy acceptance, and some buy for the appreciation of how art can be put into foot wear.
May 2, 2010 @ 09:53 AM
thenephilim27

this thread is fucking retarded ahahahahahahahahahaahaahahahah i didn't even read anything other then the title.

do you hear yourself talk? hahahahahahahaha
May 2, 2010 @ 10:09 AM
lemonyfresch

Made, obviously.
May 5, 2010 @ 03:53 AM
11bizztool

i was made by history. for me, there is always a story behind each other person. unless, your father or someone in the bloodline is a shoe designer or owner perhaps.
May 16, 2010 @ 09:31 AM
exactlythat

yep. and made, not born.
May 16, 2010 @ 02:38 PM
bocadin gio

well i think they can either be born or made. most of us that are sneakerheads think back of the shoes we had and how fast we fucked em up walking through puddles and leaving them outside. i think if u loved kicks since birth u were born a sneakerhead. but most of us are made because we are introduced to the culture and we love it, we dont do it for attention but of the rich art behind shoes. we buy too many pairs and we only wear like 2 daily but when u feel like shit. u can always go to your closet and know u have shoe game like no other. like you have shoes that no one else can cope or know about and it makes u feel superior because shoes are always there for you. and it feels awsome when u cope shoes and ppl are like dayuum! supreme vans? or sb blazers? or all the other collabs.
May 17, 2010 @ 03:56 AM
b-r-ate

when u feel like shit u can always go to your closet and know u have shoe game like no other. like you have shoes that no one else can cope or know about and it makes u feel superior because shoes are always there for you. and it feels awsome when u cope shoes and ppl are like dayuum! supreme vans? or sb blazers? or all the other collabs.

sad life, ain it?

ja sam tu zbog para.

May 17, 2010 @ 10:03 PM
nyfliiboy

def made
May 23, 2010 @ 03:10 AM
Kanga-Kidd

I think i was made..... I remember i use to live in like super dooper hippy part of the world small school with like 50 kids and no uniform .And being in Year 4 and moving here and kids had dc's and etnies and all sorts of skate shoes and i wasnt killing it anymore. I had plain gross world industries shoes . Never had any brand name gear just cheep shit.
I have always collected stuff from a young age, tazzos , Pokeomond cards, Bayblades, Yu-gi-oh.
I got my first new era cap in grade 4 . And i guess it just made sence to collect them too always wanting to have something fresh and clean . No stores around here sold air forces or dunks or anything just plain dc's globes etc Was flicking though a skateboard magazine and it had a pair of Red Supra vaiders and i had a bunch of mixed emotions . Also alot of my mates or outher people i showed where like Yeah dope or nah gross . That arvo i went into town and a new shop had opend . Turns out first pair of shoes i seen on the shelf where those same vaiders my birthday was coming up and i had a little money so mum got em for me and i wore em to school everyday . Skated in em ,Played ball in them Everything everyday . I went home and googled supra. from that come up with sites like this one and sneaker freaker magazine and from that point on i was hooked . My collections still small . But im a working 16 year old my mums a single parent and works two jobs backto back . Its super rewarding saving and scraping up enough to buy a new pair .
I wear all my shoes . I skate all my shoes . I was rotating all my sneakers untill kustom sent me out a package and now i just kick around in them for school . Its strange tho
alot of the time ill just skate around barefoot in wet boardies and be a little surf punk and outhertimes I kick around in my dickies with my nikes laced up and just cruise.

I think its good and im thankfull for having such a diverse mix of culture, influences and mates

But Yes i hate kids that just buy the heaps coulurfull gross sneakers and think there killing it. or the swarms of kids that fang around the skate parks on the scooters wearing fake bape hoodies. .
May 23, 2010 @ 03:12 AM
Kanga-Kidd

Sorry In Advance to all forum heads for such a long and boring post
May 23, 2010 @ 02:38 PM
kermitDfrog

you either like shoes, or you don't. don't think to deep into it.
October 25, 2010 @ 07:05 PM
sneakerjesus23

made but some are just born with Swag like myself xp

Please login first to reply.